UConn MHOC 22-23 | Page 14 | The Boneyard

UConn MHOC 22-23

Reaction Score
The bottom line for me about the NCAA Tourney is that I feel like it should be expanded beyond 16 teams. Every year, worthy teams are left out. Why not include 4 or 8 more?
There are only 60 teams playing D1 hockey. More than 25% of them qualify for the tournament. There will always be worthy teams left out no matter how many teams play in the tournament. Hockey has a much higher % of teams playing in the tournament than basketball, baseball and soccer as it stands now.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
There are only 60 teams playing D1 hockey. More than 25% of them qualify for the tournament. There will always be worthy teams left out no matter how many teams play in the tournament. Hockey has a much higher % of teams playing in the tournament than basketball, baseball and soccer as it stands now.
I get that, but why not…more teams equals more money. It doesn’t cheapen the tournament if they are worthy of inclusion. But I totally understand your point. I’m just an old man shouting at the clouds.

Reaction Score
As of this morning: CHN 2023 NCAA Tournament Pairwise Comparison Ratings

1675606082678.png

USCHO Pairwise link

Reaction Score
If the Stonehill thing impacts UConn, thats on UConn for scheduling LIU. Period.
Nope. You dont decide mid season that team x counts and team y doesnt count. Why not just decide Michigan doesn’t count now, you know, just because. As to scheduling LIU, it is part of growing the game. Over our early years, i remember games against Maine, UNH, Michigan where we looked like it was a hockey team vs 6 orange cones. I remember QU having similar challenges. Those games counted. And I dare say both programs are legit now. You can’t not schedule new teams.

And don’t get me started on PWR. I hate giving bids based on a computer program. I’d go with a variation on the “old” pre expansion system. Give each league 3 bids and let them decide how to deal them out over pseudo-science. Make any leftovers at-large. I don’t know where they are right now but Norte Dame was the poster child for the silliness of this system. Had a losing record and were like 12 in PWR. Because they played a really difficult schedule. Win some friggin’ hockey games. People love sos as a factor but it is only meaningful on the margin. And for the most part it is totally uncontrollable. It is one of those things that sounds good but is really pretty meaningless. And is completely out of your control. You are in a league, you must play x league games. Nothing UConn can do to make Maine good or bad.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Nope. You dont decide mid season that team x counts and team y doesnt count. Why not just decide Michigan doesn’t count now, you know, just because. As to scheduling LIU, it is part of growing the game. Over our early years, i remember games against Maine, UNH, Michigan where we looked like it was a hockey team vs 6 orange cones. I remember QU having similar challenges. Those games counted. And I dare say both programs are legit now. You can’t not schedule new teams.

And don’t get me started on PWR. I hate giving bids based on a computer program. I’d go with a variation on the “old” pre expansion system. Give each league 3 bids and let them decide how to deal them out over pseudo-science. Make any leftovers at-large. I don’t know where they are right now but Norte Dame was the poster child for the silliness of this system. Had a losing record and were like 12 in PWR. Because they played a really difficult schedule. Win some friggin’ hockey games. People love sos as a factor but it is only meaningful on the margin. And for the most part it is totally uncontrollable. It is one of those things that sounds good but is really pretty meaningless. And is completely out of your control. You are in a league, you must play x league games. Nothing UConn can do to make Maine good or bad.

Stonehill isn’t trying. 96% of their schedule is non-DI. They absolutely should not count in any metric and arguing otherwise is stupid. The timing is dumb but the decision is right.

UConn‘s job isn’t to help LIU. Let LIU worry about LIU. It isn’t like there’s some payoff down the line there. It’s LIU. They aren’t Penn State or QU or Arizona State. They aren’t committed to success. Waste of two schedule slots. Anchorage is slightly defensible in terms of helping the sport, but still: terrible scheduling.

Much prefer the computerized system. NCAA hockey has a long history of showing there aren’t any adults in the room who can make unbiased decisions. Schedule better. Play better. It fixes it.

Reaction Score

Notre Dame will not qualify as an at-large team with a losing record. "First, only teams with a winning percentage of .500 or better that have played at least 20 games against Division I teams are eligible to be an at-large selection."

They, or any team with a losing record, would qualify for an automatic bid by winning its league championship tournament.

Reaction Score
just keep scheduling more Big 10 teams. We can compete with them - hell, look at how we did against Ohio State this year.

Why is it we don’t play Penn State more? I’m not talking just hockey, any sport. I’d love a pay game against them in football too, we’re already doing that with Michigan and OHio State.

Reaction Score
just keep scheduling more Big 10 teams. We can compete with them - hell, look at how we did against Ohio State this year.

Why is it we don’t play Penn State more? I’m not talking just hockey, any sport. I’d love a pay game against them in football too, we’re already doing that with Michigan and OHio State.
Penn State has played a weak OOC schedule for years.

‘22-‘23: Canisius (2), Mercyhurst (2), St. Thomas (2), Alaska (2), RIT (2)

They are under .500 in the Big Ten, ranked 5th in Pairwise

‘21-‘22: LIU (2), Canisius (2), Niagara (2), St. Thomas (2), Army (1), 1 game at home vs North Dakota

‘20-‘21: Arizona State (2)

‘19-‘20: Sacred Heart (2), Robert Morris (2), Niagara (2), Alaska (2), Lowell (1), Merrimack (1)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
How are we looking in the Pairwise? The win over Northeastern had to be helpful.

jho

Reaction Score
How are we looking in the Pairwise? The win over Northeastern had to be helpful.
Pairwise has me a little confused. On Sunday morning, BU had a Pairwise Ranking of #3 (58 Pairwise Comparisons Won), Harvard #11 (50 PCW’s), UConn #T14 (47 PCW’s), Northeastern #21 (39 PCW’s), & BC #26 (35 PCW’s). After the Beanpot games on Monday (Harvard beat BC & Northeastern beat BU), BU, Harvard & BC all maintained the same Pairwise rankings. Amazingly, UConn dropped a spot to #15 (46 PCW’s) without playing a game while Northeastern - the team they beat on the road Saturday night OT - gained 5 spots to #16 (44 PCW’s)

Reaction Score
Pairwise has me a little confused. On Sunday morning, BU had a Pairwise Ranking of #3 (58 Pairwise Comparisons Won), Harvard #11 (50 PCW’s), UConn #T14 (47 PCW’s), Northeastern #21 (39 PCW’s), & BC #26 (35 PCW’s). After the Beanpot games on Monday (Harvard beat BC & Northeastern beat BU), BU, Harvard & BC all maintained the same Pairwise rankings. Amazingly, UConn dropped a spot to #15 (46 PCW’s) without playing a game while Northeastern - the team they beat on the road Saturday night gained 5 spots to #16 (44 PCW’s)
UConn could win each of their next 4 games 10-0 and they will still get passed in the Pairwise if the teams behind them win their games.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
UConn could win each of their next 4 games 10-0 and they will still get passed in the Pairwise if the teams behind them win their games.
Definitely need to win both against UNH, and probably no worse than a W and tie vs BC. Looks like Alaska Anchorage sucks. So nothing much to help RPI. I'll be pissed if they miss the tournament again.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Just need to take care of business…and maybe win the HE Tourney. Easy Peasy, lemon squeezy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom