UConn Mascot Change: Confirmed | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn Mascot Change: Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

FillTheRent

College football lives in Connecticut
Reaction Score
All I'll say is that the block C is boring and uninspired. I'm really not interested in buying any merchandise with it.
How can you say the block C is uninspired. It has been around since the beginning of the university. Take a look at the pics in from this website. They are all sporting the block C.
http://www.uconn.edu/history/traditions/index.php
When I think of UC, I think of the University of Cincinnati. They call themselves UC too, and I don't want to be confused with them.

Reaction Score
When we get rebranding of our logo can we PLEASE get a new commercial as well? I'm glad everyone at UConn is going to lead something but when you watch these games and see other university ads it makes you wish we could do it again. That being said, I think the current commercial is better then previous ones....I'm not even going to comment on the "UConn, nice pick" commercial disaster!
I noticed a big difference in UConn and Rutgers commercials during the mbb game, our commercial was "we will do" while Rutgers was a lot of " we have done"

Reaction Score
How can you say the block C is uninspired. It has been around since the beginning of the university. Take a look at the pics in from this website. They are all sporting the block C.
When I think of UC, I think of the University of Cincinnati. They call themselves UC too, and I don't want to be confused with them.

When you say C - it could literally mean anything as well. Just like how USC is both S. Carolina and SoCal. Also--how many people knew of Cincinnati until their football program exploded a few years ago? Think about it, before the Big East...they were an outlier, a commuter school, and not a national player in most respects. The block C is uninspired in that it is boring, bland, and hardly recognizable as a national brand. I'm not saying that the UC isn't either. What I am trying to say is that it would be a grave mistake to shift towards the block C.

And anyone suggesting that the iconic husky logo should be altered is just nuts. This is the UConn brand nationally. People recognize it everywhere. It's the reason why the uniforms should don UConn instead of Connecticut too. Connecticut what? UConn - there is no doubt that it is THE UNIVERSITY of Connecticut. Anyone who confuses it with Yukon clearly is not worthy of our admiration :) Plus, the pun is just too good anyway.

You bringing up the block C as being around since the beginning (which by the way...it has not, but yes, it was around early) supports my claim further. Did many people know that before UConn starting pushing it on the football uniforms? Probably not. Do people know it nationally? Hardly.

This is all about branding. I don't like the block C. I love the Husky. I love being referred to as UConn. (And in my opinion, I think the UC design is slick.)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The letter C has been around for a long time, although not from the beginning of the school, but the current block C design has not. I like it and I think there is value in a consistent marketing image, but it's not like the current design has been around for more than 10 years.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
block c or cursive/eglish c. either will do but it can't be both. the baseball hat c is great, i like it. reminds me of the bama a. but then on the uniform for baseball we go to block connecticut font. just fail fail fail. no uc, no bball logos, no uc none of those. block or cursive c and rep that font. either way when u have a blue or white c logo, dont outline it like we have now around the block c. looks stuid as frack and that alone is why a lot of kids wont rep it. truth hurts.

connecticut all day. rep uconn as your nickname, not as your brand. state names draw bigger audiences and bigger attnetion long run in the arms race. not a nickname that makes u sound fimly in a group of commuter schools.

dark blue and white. the state flag is a lighter shade of blue, we need to get the state flag on board with the school darker blue. either go with a hint of red somewhere or drop red. do not outline in red and f everything up.

dog, look at florida and ark for starters. come up with something agressive but yet playful enoguh and use it strategically. kids clothes. on bball shorts in the bottom corner or in the middle of stripes on fball pants. on thsirt sleves. stuff like that. the current logo lose the tounge and add teeth would be close imho.

bball court. take a look at unc, uk, ind and mich. the logo c needs to be in the middle of the court with the harwood havinga fade color to it with a outline of our state. we are connecticut....

contact every media place. we are to be known as connecticut. if u have our game on tv, u cna do the score box with "uconn"

our h/a jerseys should be blue and white. no gray bs or red. have a 3rd jersey for every sport and make it fun. put uconn on them instead of connecticut, maybe the husky dog on the shest and wierd stuff. black fball unis or pink girls unis etc etc

this stuff is not hard. but we fail at it all daily.

we should have 20 sponsors of our school looking to have sponsir days at a game where tshirts of the new brand are given out strategically by the school. 1st one is a blue shirt. says connecticut on the front and sponsor on the back. then comes a white shirt and a long sleve shirt and a hat and this and that. again, other schools own this yearly, we however look like idiots.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There are three states that begin with the letter C. Colorado is known as CU. California is UC(XX). The Block C is ours and we should use it. Block C and the white husky (tongue or no tongue, it doesn't matter). These are our trademarks. No one knows of, or cares that our baseball team wears an old english C.

Everyone knows the White Husky icon and most now know the Block C on the blue helmet. It stands out. Anyone who watched the Senior Bowl knows this. For the BB fans, take a look at the UCONN on the BB unis, it's the same font. The C is the Block C.

The interlocking UC is stupid looking as is the forced use of red. Yes national flag colors are a winner, but figure out how to use it correctly or stop using it.

Most of all, don't screw this up.

FillTheRent

College football lives in Connecticut
Reaction Score
When you say C - it could literally mean anything as well. Just like how USC is both S. Carolina and SoCal. Also--how many people knew of Cincinnati until their football program exploded a few years ago? Think about it, before the Big East...they were an outlier, a commuter school, and not a national player in most respects. The block C is uninspired in that it is boring, bland, and hardly recognizable as a national brand. I'm not saying that the UC isn't either. What I am trying to say is that it would be a grave mistake to shift towards the block C.

And anyone suggesting that the iconic husky logo should be altered is just nuts. This is the UConn brand nationally. People recognize it everywhere. It's the reason why the uniforms should don UConn instead of Connecticut too. Connecticut what? UConn - there is no doubt that it is THE UNIVERSITY of Connecticut. Anyone who confuses it with Yukon clearly is not worthy of our admiration :) Plus, the pun is just too good anyway.

You bringing up the block C as being around since the beginning (which by the way...it has not, but yes, it was around early) supports my claim further. Did many people know that before UConn starting pushing it on the football uniforms? Probably not. Do people know it nationally? Hardly.

This is all about branding. I don't like the block C. I love the Husky. I love being referred to as UConn. (And in my opinion, I think the UC design is slick.)

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I like the block C and I like being representatives of our state, sporting Connecticut whenever possible. I've never liked the cartoon husky dog.

I also think the block C is more recognizable than you think. I've worn my block C hat from Maine to Florida and Virginia to Alaska and I have been approached by people in every location asking if I am from Connecticut. People follow football around the country and ESPN shows the block C when talking about Connecticut. Plus it's been on our helmets for awhile now. I'm not aware of any other university that sports a blue and white block C. I think the closest team would be Cornell, who uses a red and white color scheme.

Reaction Score
There are three states that begin with the letter C. Colorado is known as CU. California is UC(XX). The Block C is ours and we should use it. Block C and the white husky (tongue or no tongue, it doesn't matter). These are our trademarks. No one knows of, or cares that our baseball team wears an old english C.

Everyone knows the White Husky icon and most now know the Block C on the blue helmet. It stands out. Anyone who watched the Senior Bowl knows this. For the BB fans, take a look at the UCONN on the BB unis, it's the same font. The C is the Block C.

The interlocking UC is stupid looking as is the forced use of red. Yes national flag colors are a winner, but figure out how to use it correctly or stop using it.

Most of all, don't screw this up.

I'm telling you no one recognizes my block C memorabilia in Indiana. Just saying...

Reaction Score
There are several ultimate problems that hurt our marketability in general that there is generally little we can do about now:

1) Connecticut is long and an awkward name. It doesn't flow off the tongue well and difficult to fit on jersey so they are readable from a distance.
2) Our school colors are white and navy blue (with the optional red). Easily the most bland college colors (especially in comparison to other NE colleges)
3) Our mascot is the husky...it is shared with 4 other Div-I institutions including the visible programs of NIU and UW.

Another issue is trying to brand the school with the new football logos despite national success and attention gather via the basketball programs. They have to tread carefully in what they decide to change. This in the combination with an unsuccessful goal of getting into a new conference could completely ruin UConn's national brand.

Reaction Score
I'm telling you no one recognizes my block C memorabilia in Indiana. Just saying...
ESPN was using the block C for basketball highlights for a little while. And we also beat IU football both times we've played. And Notre Dame football the one time we're played. Very short memories.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
What about if we keep the block "C" and have the Husky inside the opening of the letter? Too busy?

Reaction Score
This is more to do with the uniform than the logo (personally I like the non-threatening dog with the tongue out...a more ferocious husky would come off as very Division I-AA) but can we PLEASE go back to these basketball jerseys, 0r a variant?

marcus_williams.jpg

Writing out "Connecticut" is so much classier. UConn is a nickname that has basically taken over as the name of the school.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
This is more to do with the uniform than the logo (personally I like the non-threatening dog with the tongue out...a more ferocious husky would come off as very Division I-AA) but can we PLEASE go back to these basketball jerseys, 0r a variant?

marcus_williams.jpg

Writing out "Connecticut" is so much classier. UConn is a nickname that has basically taken over as the name of the school.

YES! I knew someone agreed with me on this, though we appear to be the minority.

For my money, the best jersey we have right now, bar none, is the men's hockey one:

8540805.jpeg

...if I could buy a replica of it, I would own it right this instant.

CL82

Reaction Score
This is my favorite:
ray-allen-uconn-5814.jpg

Away version:
th

I believe that this was the last uniform before we went to UConn.

Reaction Score

marcus_williams.jpg

Those are my favorite UConn unis of all time. Unfortunately I also relate them to the George Mason loss.

Reaction Score
This is my favorite:
ray-allen-uconn-5814.jpg

Away version:
th

I believe that this was the last uniform before we went to UConn.

those are alright, just very 90s.

I like the simpler, cleaner look of the one I posted. We don't need red!

CL82

Reaction Score

"Cleaner" as in the 50s was a very clean decade?

I like the red, though it isn't one of our colors. I haven't looked it up but I wouldn't be surprised if this line of uniforms are our most purchased. In any event we should be seeing new ones pretty soon and we can both agree that we don't like them.

Reaction Score
More Husky doggie logo on the unis for all sports, and synch up the UConn font and colors once and for all (is red & grey trim in or out? Make a decision on this, marketing guys). It's about branding so why do most of our sports team unis have their own logo & look?

In '03 when the new football unis were unveiled, they put "Connecticut" on the front of the jersey and dropped the "UC on the helmet to just a "C". It was a tactical move to promote the team as Connecticut's team rather than just UConn, but at the same time they got away from the visual branding that became synonymous with UConn's basketball success - the Husky dog logo & look of the basketball uniforms.

Point is the casual sports fan will look at our basketball unis and recognize us, then look at our football unis and most likely won't. Keep the logo, colors & font for all sports similar.

Reaction Score
I received confirmation today that UConn will changing its husky into more a meaner looking husky dog. Maybe Herbst thinks a more badass mascot will answer our realignment prayers?

I would consider something that pictures a group of dogs rather than just one. We are the huskies, plural. Plus, a big strenght of the dog is the pack, cooperating together to accomplish what each couldn't alone. It convey's positive messages as a sports image. Strength in numbers, we're all coming after you, ...

sled dogs1.jpg

sled dogs.jpg

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

Agree... too much red in those.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
UConn Nelly.PNG

We need famous people to wear UConn gear... although this is the ugliest jersey I've ever seen - at that time I felt like we made it on a national scene. Who can we get to endorse us circa 2013?

Reaction Score
YES! I knew someone agreed with me on this, though we appear to be the minority.

For my money, the best jersey we have right now, bar none, is the men's hockey one:

8540805.jpeg

...if I could buy a replica of it, I would own it right this instant.

Two-tone for hockey always works best, BU, Yale etc...

CL82

Reaction Score
View attachment 2230
We need famous people to wear UConn gear... although this is the ugliest jersey I've ever seen - at that time I felt like we made it on a national scene. Who can we get to endorse us circa 2013?
See now that one has just a bit too much red for me as well. Might want to throw in a tad more National Flag Blue in there while we're thinking about it.

Agree that is an amazingly ugly jersey. As for 'famous people' sporting UConn gear, it is out there.
CeeLoGreenBridgestoneSuperBowlXLVIHalftimeDSfmd9tW6GVl.jpg

image.axd

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
See now that one has just a bit too much red for me as well. Might want to throw in a tad more National Flag Blue in there while we're thinking about it.

Agree that is an amazingly ugly jersey. As for 'famous people' sporting UConn gear, it is out there.
CeeLoGreenBridgestoneSuperBowlXLVIHalftimeDSfmd9tW6GVl.jpg

image.axd
We can be the fighting C-Lo's? Or -U's?

I've seen the Sandler movie - I forgot about that... but he also wear's every New England U shirt/hat even some Whalers action, so it kind of gets lost. We need more of that though...

How about Bobby Moynihan on SNL repping for UConn -- a recurring character? Anyone know him? Get the word out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom