UConn Mascot Change: Confirmed | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UConn Mascot Change: Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ugh.

When I think about the time and effort put into marketing, it makes me retch. All the attributes ascribed to the meaner Husky are fantasies in the minds of people who need a reason to keep their marketing jobs. The friendliness of mascots or the lack thereof has nothing to do with athletics.
Times and art styles change. At least the player interviewed doesn't hate it. Wish it would get leaked!

We really need to keep the block "C". The University of Washington still has a block "W".

Reaction Score
Times and art styles change. At least the player interviewed doesn't hate it. Wish it would get leaked!

We really need to keep the block "C". The University of Washington still has a block "W".

I think she did hate it. Her quotes were decidedly unenthusiastic.

Colleges tend to preserve a certain look. When Pitt changed from the paws to whatever that big Panther was, it lost its look in favor of new art styles that no one cared about. This doesn't mean that things never become dated, but sometimes people associate the logo with the team so much that new logos pale in comparison. The Blue Jays just went back to the old logo as well, and so have the Buffalo Sabres.

UConn won 3 national championships with the current Husky, and this might not be the best time to change anyway, given the new conference and new coaches.

I'm much less married to the uniforms as long as they keep "UConn" on them. That doesn't matter to me much for either basketball or football.

Reaction Score
Eposito described her teammates’ reactions as indifferent toward the new logo, although they did understand the purpose for the change.

“I don’t hate it,” Eposito said.

Reaction Score
It's going to rub each person differently. Everyone try to keep an open mind. What I'm excited about is it sounds like uniforms for all sports will be new for 2013-14 seasons. And if people first saw the logo in Spring of 2012, there was plenty of time to go through various adjustments.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Seems like a really bad time to rebrand. We are going to be in a Mid-Major conference next year and and I am really really hoping our new logo does not scream Mid-Major. This is not a time to let people forget who we are.

If they are worried about Jonathan looking too friendly just stick the tongue back in his mouth - kinda like thi one.

images

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Didn't we actually have the blue and white old school Husky in 99?

Horrible time to rebrand as others have mentioned as we go into a mid major conference.

Reaction Score
http://courantblogs.com/capitol-watch/uconn-brand-managers-developing-tougher-husky/

"UConn spokesman Mike Enright said the school is working with Nike on the project and the re-design won’t cost anything. “We acknowledge that we are rebranding, like a lot of companies and schools do. We are going to debut things in April. We are trying to make a splash,” Enright said. “We are working with Nike as our apparel partner. There is no cost involved.”"

Reaction Score
I actually think this is a great time to rebrand in contrast to other people's opinions. As I've already stated in this thread, I'm going to miss this husky...but here's what I like about the move.

• I actually like that this move correlates with conference alignment. In one aspect, it will help flip the Big East chapter of our story book and move to the next.
  • Revenues!!! New logos mean money, and since it's coming at no cost to UConn, UConn has nothing to lose.
  • The old husky will still be an integral part of UConn. It'll become "retro" and will continue to be a strong brand even with the new logo.
  • As crazy as this sounds, the old logo belongs to JC...this logo will be just the fresh start that KO deserves--a chance for him to put his own name on a new brand
I think it's the right move but I'm definitely going to be sentimental about it. This husky brings great memories of 3 national championships and a BCS football game. But the times have changed. Especially at this critical juncture in UConn athletics, we run the risk of being nostalgic rather than forward-looking. This change of logo is just what the doctor ordered for us to move beyond the Big East to bigger and better things--because unlike some of the jerks on this board, I still believe in UConn athletics and that we're gonna be alright in the end.
Student today. Husky forever.

Reaction Score
NHUConnfan...you're at IU, right? Talk up a storm for us!

Reaction Score
Ugh.

When I think about the time and effort put into marketing, it makes me retch. All the attributes ascribed to the meaner Husky are fantasies in the minds of people who need a reason to keep their marketing jobs. The friendliness of mascots or the lack thereof has nothing to do with athletics.

Tyler disagrees ;)

>>"But will its bark be worse than the teams' bite?

"Is it going to help you guys play a little better," asked News 8's Tina Detelj.

"Maybe. Maybe people will be afraid of our new logo, our new mascot," said Basketball Player Tyler Orlander."<<

http://touch.wtnh.com/20000/5725304

Reaction Score
I actually think this is a great time to rebrand in contrast to other people's opinions. As I've already stated in this thread, I'm going to miss this husky...but here's what I like about the move.

• I actually like that this move correlates with conference alignment. In one aspect, it will help flip the Big East chapter of our story book and move to the next.
  • Revenues!!! New logos mean money, and since it's coming at no cost to UConn, UConn has nothing to lose.
  • The old husky will still be an integral part of UConn. It'll become "retro" and will continue to be a strong brand even with the new logo.
  • As crazy as this sounds, the old logo belongs to JC...this logo will be just the fresh start that KO deserves--a chance for him to put his own name on a new brand
I think it's the right move but I'm definitely going to be sentimental about it. This husky brings great memories of 3 national championships and a BCS football game. But the times have changed. Especially at this critical juncture in UConn athletics, we run the risk of being nostalgic rather than forward-looking. This change of logo is just what the doctor ordered for us to move beyond the Big East to bigger and better things--because unlike some of the jerks on this board, I still believe in UConn athletics and that we're gonna be alright in the end.
Student today. Husky forever.

Wow well said

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Yeah but the cartoon-ier Husky has only been around since 1996. Nice site, by the way.

So, UConn didn't start winning national championships until it adopted the friendly Husky?

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Yeah but the cartoon-ier Husky has only been around since 1996. Nice site, by the way.

I think that website is wrong on the Jonathan redesign (not that it really matters). I remember the logo redesign occured during my first couple years at school. I would guess 2003 but it might have been 04 even. I remember a friend had been in Gampel and told us the logo changed so we all went down to see it. Here is a picture of the 1999 championship team where the old logo is still on the court.

1999mbb.jpg

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Penfield, I think you're right, some of the dates on the wordmarks are wrong too.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I think that website is wrong on the Jonathan redesign (not that it really matters). I remember the logo redesign occured during my first couple years at school. I would guess 2003 but it might have been 04 even. I remember a friend had been in Gampel and told us the logo changed so we all went down to see it. Here is a picture of the 1999 championship team where the old logo is still on the court.

1999mbb.jpg
Yeah. I don't think they went to cartoon husky till after I graduated in 2000. I work in marketing and used to do sports licensing including UConn products. I think I still have an old PDF logo sheet from early 2000's with the old husky head. I'm going to try to track down.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Penfield, I think you're right, some of the dates on the wordmarks are wrong too.

Yes, you are right about that also. Anything using this font came out around the same time as the redesigned Jonathan head.
88470961996.gif

I am pretty sure the last rebranding effort coincided with the football team starting Big East play. The font matches the Block C on the football helmet. I am almost positive it was in the fall of 2003. I remember when the bball jerseys got redesigned Shamon Tooles got to show them off on media day because he was the only senior on the team.

That website doesnt show a lot of the logos they actually used in the 90's. It's hard to see in the picure but the lettering on the jerseys used to be more rounded.
HamiltonRichard_running.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22