UConn Mascot Change: Confirmed | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn Mascot Change: Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Personally I like when the uniforms say Connecticut. But really I won't lose any sleep. Mean husky. Friendly husky. 2 huskies doing it husky style. A husky humping HFD's leg.
Any of which would probably be better than HFD humping Jonathan's leg.

Reaction Score
True... no matter what they come up with, at least half of the boneyard will be pi$$ed!
Not only pi$$ed by having to look at something they don't like, but also because at least half are stone, cold, drunk. Not that there's anything wrong with that ...

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
If you see the virtual tour of the new practice facility. The Men's court, is shown with an interlocking UC logo, and women's court has their C logo. I heard we might get everybody on the same page. Maybe just the look of our Husky will change?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If you see the virtual tour of the new practice facility. The Men's court, is shown with an interlocking UC logo, and women's court has their C logo. I heard we might get everybody on the same page. Maybe just the look of our Husky will change?
Well, supposedly if there's a new logo in the works, that would go on the practice courts (as well as XL and Gampel). When they made the architectural renderings of Rentschler back in the '90s, the artist put on the "airline" logo, which looked really boring compared to the new font and block C they made for UConn athletics for the upgrade.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Will some of you explain to me what this love affair with the block C is about? It's boring, 1940s-like, lacks connection with the university (could be Columbia, Cornell, Centenary, Colorado, or a number of other things). I just think it's significantly uninspired.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Will some of you explain to me what this love affair with the block C is about? It's boring, 1940s-like, lacks connection with the university (could be Columbia, Cornell, Centenary, Colorado, or a number of other things). I just think it's significantly uninspired.

It has class. I only ask that we not do anything tacky. Exciting yes, but not tacky. Other than a dog paw, what do you suggest? A drawn husky on a helmet will always look lame.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
It has class. I only ask that we not do anything tacky. Exciting yes, but not tacky. Other than a dog paw, what do you suggest? A drawn husky on a helmet will always look lame.
I agree not to do anything tacky. Matter of opinion though. I don't think the "C" is classy...just old and unimaginative. I think the drawn dog is fine. Like the drawn pirate on the Raiders logo or the drawn lion on the Lion's helmet. I don't mind the dog paw either. Maybe someone needs to design something that has a more modern representation like the modernized Patriots logo. A Leroy Neiman expresionism thing of some kind.

I wonder what someone could do with dog scat?

Reaction Score
The baseball fancy "C" is the best logo the school has. Not a fan of the block C. I like the MBB logo, the women's one is good for WBB.

Reaction Score
Great post. I think as a state school only a few can pull of using their full name and having it still be meaningful as a brand (i.e. Texas, Florida, Michigan). When you get out of the elite tier of brands, using a full state name is not unique (i.e. Washington, Nevada, Ohio). We have unique national name recognition with "UConn". How often on ESPN do they refer to us as "Connecticut"?....rarely. We definitely need to stick with the "UConn" branding since it is unique and easy to identify.

Also I think those folks that run the Delaware turnpike define the term "highway robbery"

Sean McDonough always calls us Connecticut during the games he is working.

Reaction Score
The baseball fancy "C" is the best logo the school has. Not a fan of the block C. I like the MBB logo, the women's one is good for WBB.

It's hard to believe anybody could be more wrong than you were just now, but I guess the future is hard to predict.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
When the block C helmets came out, it was a HUGE improvement over the airline logo helmets. Young kids today have no idea how much rejoicing there was when the block C came out. I might be exaggerating slightly, but not really:)

Reaction Score
Sean McDonough always calls us Connecticut during the games he is working.

True but in general, we are usually "UConn" when ESPN/CBS/SNY refer to us. The majority of SC highlights and the bottom line say UConn and for the other times we are presented as "Connecticut" is exactly why we need to push "UConn." We just have a need for brand unification and UConn is most recognizable compared to Connecticut/UC/CONN

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There was an interlocking UC logo helmet between the airline helmet and the block C.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
There was an interlocking UC logo helmet between the airline helmet and the block C.

...and it sucked, too. UC is just as ubiquitous as C, and doesn't look as good.

Reaction Score
I've had people think my navy uconn football jersey is some alternate Dallas Cowboys jersey. I like our current uniforms but I'm also fine with a change.

Reaction Score
I still like that interlocking UC - not for all sports. Football can have their block C...but I really would not like to see that applied to the basketball team.

Reaction Score
I still like that interlocking UC - not for all sports. Football can have their block C...but I really would not like to see that applied to the basketball team.
I think I heard they are going for brand unity...forgive me if there's a real marketing term...so they want one logo synonymous with uconn athletics. The problem which can be seen in this thread everyone has a favorite. I personally hate the interlocking U C and am a big fan of the block C and do wish basketball would adopt it. Id have to imagine the marketing dept is considering creating a new C alltogether instead of adopting an exhisting.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think I heard they are going for brand unity...forgive me if there's a real marketing term...so they want one logo synonymous with uconn athletics. The problem which can be seen in this thread everyone has a favorite. I personally hate the interlocking U C and am a big fan of the block C and do wish basketball would adopt it. Id have to imagine the marketing dept is considering creating a new C alltogether instead of adopting an exhisting.
Maybe, but that would be giving up existing brand recognition. My guess is the block C plus new "meaner" Husky. don't expect a huge change in the Husky it should be below the just noticeable difference. If it is a major change, they'd work it in over a number of years. JMHO, though.

Reaction Score

All I'll say is that the block C is boring and uninspired. I'm really not interested in buying any merchandise with it.

Reaction Score
Let's go back to this Husky, he was the top dog. I'm tired of all these so called marketing experts coming up with new ideas that don't work. We have a tradition here that we should continue to foster instead of alienating alumni and fans with idiotic changes. It reminds me about 10 years ago when The Hartfords ad agency decided it needed a sleeker corporate symbol. So what did they do, they air-brushed the penus off of the Stag. How can a Stag be a Stag without it's businees attached?
Agree 100%. That is my favorite UConn logo and thats why i have it as my boneyard picture. Im still mad they got rid of it. I like other peoples ideas of going back to the late 90's and early 2000's style of our home uniforms having UConn and the away uniforms having Connecticut on the front. I dont like all the change either. Just look at Alabama football or Michigan football, two of the most historic and successful programs ever. They have been wearing basically the same uniforms/helmets since the beginning of time. There is nothing that stands out about them but its just the fact they are so recognizable. I dont want a complete over haul because id like to keep our tradition.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Would love to have the block C hanging on the husky head like this one:
2488.gif

pass

Reaction Score
Agree 100%. That is my favorite UConn logo and thats why i have it as my boneyard picture. Im still mad they got rid of it. I like other peoples ideas of going back to the late 90's and early 2000's style of our home uniforms having UConn and the away uniforms having Connecticut on the front. I dont like all the change either. Just look at Alabama football or Michigan football, two of the most historic and successful programs ever. They have been wearing basically the same uniforms/helmets since the beginning of time. There is nothing that stands out about them but its just the fact they are so recognizable. I dont want a complete over haul because id like to keep our tradition.

But have we been around athletically and relevant academically since the beginning of time? No, so why try and be something we're not?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I've had people think my navy uconn football jersey is some alternate Dallas Cowboys jersey. I like our current uniforms but I'm also fine with a change.
I was wearing an older authentic UConn hockey jersey with the husky dog logo on it in Manhattan. These kids were asking me if it was that was a Hartford Wolfpack jersey. I was in disbelief.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
When we get rebranding of our logo can we PLEASE get a new commercial as well? I'm glad everyone at UConn is going to lead something but when you watch these games and see other university ads it makes you wish we could do it again. That being said, I think the current commercial is better then previous ones....I'm not even going to comment on the "UConn, nice pick" commercial disaster!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom