UConn - Marquette post game | The Boneyard

UConn - Marquette post game

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Marquette is a solid team and Kudos for them playing us close in the first half. That Karlan kid is a baller! Paige's half court shot - wow. Was there any doubt it was going in? LOL. Held them to 21 points in the 2nd half. 3 point shooting was on point tonight, especially Paige, Nika and Ash. In fact, our 3 point % (65)was better than our FT % (50). All 5 starters in double figures!
  • Paige - what more can you say about her? Every game she plays she shows why she's a NPOY caliber player. Tonight was no exception. Not as efficient as we've seen her in the past, but LOVED her taking 18 shots. POG easy call.
  • Ash - she did a lot more than just score - rebounding, stealing, just a solid beast out there harassing Marquette at every turn.
  • Nika did what Nika does these days - shot 5-9 overall and nailed three 3-pointers.
  • Liya - missed too many shots going 5-13, but still managed a double double. The foul calls against her continue to be head scratching.
  • KK - freshman wall? No thank you! Continued her solid play. LOVE her game.
  • Ice - not an eye popping game, but 4 points, 3 assists, 5 rebounds - continues to be solid off the bench. but that 2' airball?!
  • Q - so happy she nailed that 3. Seems to play better when she lets the game come to her and doesn't force things.
Defense really clamped down. Especially in the 2nd half. Yet another game the team should be super happy with. Also happy we had enough of a solid lead to get Amari and Ines some time against a really good NCAA quality team. Handed Marquette their first home loss. Bravo!

Last edited:

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I was surprised that Geno didn’t give Ice some help with Karlen in the first half. Ice had no chance against her. Of course, Karlen couldn’t handle Edwards either.

I suppose Paige was due for a logo 3. She has done everything else.

Until Marquette’s last two first half possessions, UCONN played great after Aaliyah got her third foul.

Speaking of fouls, Aaliyah’s first foul was one of the worst calls we will see all year. Typical though because Aaliyah is the leading victim of bad officiating. Not even close.

Shade keeps getting better and better. She is forcing less and you can tell the game has slowed way down for her. Even though the stats may not show it, she did a nice job guarding Hare.

The key to the game may have been Nika’s 8 point burst in the second quarter.

I thought KK forced things on offense. Maybe a little anxious playing front of her family.

When UCONN has ten or fewer turnovers, it takes a monumental task to beat them

Geno has shown a lot of patience with Ice. This was game 20. How much longer will his patience last?

Nika and Shade played really well but it was the Paige show. Again.

Reaction Score
Agree with comments, but few other observations
  • Shade is one of the smartest freshman I can remember wearing the UConn uniform. Never takes an unadvised shot. She has basically filled Azzi's role for the team.
  • I have been critical on Nika at times, but for about 5 minutes in Q2, she was fantastic and single handedly gave us our first big lead.
  • Ice still makes a lot of mistakes hanging onto the ball and putting the ball on the floor. Hopefully she continues to improve by tournament time as we may need more from her.
  • Q sometimes forces her shot. I'd be more comfortable if she wasn't always shoot first.
  • Only negative today was a few dumb fouls for KK and AE. We have no room for error when it comes to foul trouble.
Great game overall

Reaction Score
Marquette hung with them for most of the 1st half (boy can they shoot 3s!), but then UConn was UConn and asserted their dominance and put away the game for good. And how about those long 3s for both teams to end the half? :eek:

Love that as much as Paige dominated, everyone else around her was lighting it up as well!

Reaction Score
I refuse to believe there are seven teams that are better than UConn. The AP voters need to look at NET and Massey, both of whom have similar results with different algorithms. This week’s AP and Coach’s polls were in an alternate universe.

Reaction Score
One could wax poetic about Paige again and again, but kudos tonight go out to Ashlynn & Nika. Ashlynn didn't force a thing, played strong defense and battled on the boards. Nika continues to display an improved offense. She was part of that stellar second quarter run.

I know Aaliyah is strong, but she gets mauled too many times throughout a game without a call. Thankfully, she never loses her cool.

Marquette was playing well and all of sudden were swept up into the vortex, and never really stood a chance afterwards.

Can't wait for Saturday's game. KK versus Hannah will be like the Olympic finals between Ben Johnson and Carl Lewis. I'd like to see who is faster baseline to baseline.

Reaction Score
Marquette is a solid team and Kudos for them playing us close in the first half. That Karlan kid is a baller! Paige's half court shot - wow. Was there any doubt it was going in? LOL. Held them to 21 points in the 2nd half. 3 point shooting was on point tonight, especially Paige, Nika and Ash. In fact, our 3 point % (65)was better than our FT % (50).
  • Paige - what more can you say about her? Every game she plays she shows why she's a NPOY caliber player. Tonight was no exception. Not as efficient as we've seen her in the past, but LOVED her taking 17 shots. POG easy call.
  • Ash - she did a lot more than just score - rebounding, stealing, just a solid beast out there harassing Marquette at every turn.
  • Nika did what Nika does these days - shot 5-9 overall and nailed three 3-pointers.
  • Liya - missed too many shots going 5-13, but still managed a double double
  • Ice - not an eye popping game, but 4 points, 3 assists, 4 rebounds - continues to be solid off the bench. but that 2' airball?!
  • Q - so happy she nailed that 3. Seems to play better when she lets the game come to her and doesn't force things.
Defense really clamped down. Especially in the 2nd half. Yet another game the team should be super happy with. Also happy we had enough of a solid lead to get Amari and Ines some time against a really good NCAA quality team. Handed Marquette their first home loss. Bravo!
Fantastic game!!! Everybody eats. Paige doing what Paige does best, SCORE! Ashlynn getting better with every game, 7 rebounds and 2 steals. WOW!! Marquette is a competent team, but not in Uconn's league. Our starting 5 is really asserting themselves and will get even better in future games. I predicted another smack down and they delivered. Now, BRING ON NOTRE DAME. We are ready and on our home court, no problem!! GO FRESHMEN!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
CA81D870-AB04-4682-B9F3-DB35A50187BA.jpeg

Reaction Score
One of the keys to this season is that when UConn gets a lead, the defense has continued to stifle any potential runs the other team may have. Then they continue to build a lead off of that defense and the other team has to play out of their comfort zone trying to catch up. Ashlyn had a foul line pull up jumper blocked. Bet that doesn't happen to her often. She then stole the ball right back. Nika hit two big three point shots when Aliyah had to go to the bench with her third foul. She won't win any all time scoring awards, but she has a knack for hitting shots when they are most needed. Hit two pretty foul line pull ups as well.

All of them played pretty well in my opinion. Yes, there is room for improvement (Ice needs to work on strengthening her hands it seems to me) and they will need make their layups and foul shots if the want to beat the Irish on Saturday.

Reaction Score
Nika hit two big three point shots when Aliyah had to go to the bench with her third foul. She won't win any all time scoring awards, but she has a knack for hitting shots when they are most needed. Hit two pretty foul line pull ups as well.
The person who used to do that for the team was Evina. A streaky shooter, but when the team needed a bucket or a 3, Evina often was the one to get it.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I didn't see Ice attempting any fade aways today... Maybe that's why she was clanging bunnies off the bottom of the rim. Still, she's moving better and competing for boards. I don't think she's far off from being a good reliable rotation piece.

Reaction Score
Marquette is a solid team and Kudos for them playing us close in the first half. That Karlan kid is a baller! Paige's half court shot - wow. Was there any doubt it was going in? LOL. Held them to 21 points in the 2nd half. 3 point shooting was on point tonight, especially Paige, Nika and Ash. In fact, our 3 point % (65)was better than our FT % (50). All 5 starters in double figures!
  • Paige - what more can you say about her? Every game she plays she shows why she's a NPOY caliber player. Tonight was no exception. Not as efficient as we've seen her in the past, but LOVED her taking 18 shots. POG easy call.
  • Liya - missed too many shots going 5-13, but still managed a double double. The foul calls against her continue to be head scratching.
  • Ice - not an eye popping game, but 4 points, 3 assists, 5 rebounds - continues to be solid off the bench. but that 2' airball?!
How efficient do you want her? 61% FG, 80% on 3s, 5 assists and zero turnovers. You're hard to please. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom