UConn - Marquette post game | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn - Marquette post game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
BUT... the game didn't need more than 26 from Paige. That's worth noting in a year where the bench is almost unplayable and in desperate need of game experience to prep for the NCAA tourney.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Brain surgery is not all that complicated. Just read a book.
It takes 15 years (if you're good) and around a million dollars worth of education to become a neurosurgeon. Going out on a limb here, but I think the bar to become a referee for a sporting event is just a bit lower than that.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I don’t know what people don’t get about Ice. Not only is she a freshman who is coming off missing a whole year, but she is also a post player and post players often take more time to adjust. Anyone who thinks players like Dolson and Charles came in looking like the experienced versions of themselves don’t remember their early struggles, let alone not having missed their whole first year. Comparing her to Shade or Arnold is comparing apples and rudabagas. Shade is a very unusual freshman in a lot of ways.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I came here specifically to note this. I thought they were terrible both ways, completely ignoring heavy body contact, grabbed arms, etc. Paige got away with a few, and Aaliyah got mugged, and then they call the phantom ones like the foul on the three by Q.

It does really cause you to wonder if there are any good refs in WCBB if this crew is a FF quality crew.
So what do you think @UcMiami, we pick off some of those wonderful NFL refs? :p

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Did you notice:
-Marquette seemed to physically fade starting in Q3. UConn, on the other hand, seemed to get stronger. Shade in particular barely broke a sweat and seemed ready to run laps after the game even after playing most of the game.
In the post-game, I believe that CD said Marquette got fatigued. In the first game against Marquette, I think the same happened. It must be frustrating when you are exhausted and already trail by 20, as the other team runs by you. It's one big advantage of Geno's small lineup--run the opposition into the ground.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Regarding Ice, did anyone notice or remember the play early in the game where she made a pass from the high post to Paige who was cutting to the basket for a layup? Tom Brady (her cousin?) couldn't have led his receiver more accurately.

How many freshmen post players across the country would even think to make that pass, or execute it so perfectly?

Reaction Score
Shade is a player! I am a little concerned with her minutes though. We certainly don’t want her to get worn down as we head toward the tournament!
True, but to para phrase the Chic Anderson from Secretariat's Belmont win, "She's moving like a tremendous machine"! Keep that machine well tuned.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Just a few notes. I thought when Nika actually covered Hare she did a great job on her. I also think that Nika has to be an offensive player the entire game, every game. It changes everything out there. We now know that she has a dependable pull up, a consistent 3, and a strong right handed drive move. She should use them regularly.

Ice had a relapse last night with timing issues but I think it is just a matter of playing through it. KK has to be more selective on her drives and recognize that when she does so, if it is not a clear path, she can kick it out for an open 3 or a better short shot. Forces by her and by Liyah at times become turnovers which limit our offensive opportunities.

What can you say about Paige? She is just a pure pleasure to watch on both ends of the court.
KK was a little over-excited playing in front of her family and former high school teammates. I have zero concerns about KK.

Reaction Score
So what do you think @UcMiami, we pick off some of those wonderful NFL refs? :p
Officiating college basketball is actually very difficult. It’s easy for fans to criticize the refs. If you’ve ever officiated basketball you know that; they are doing the best that they can. Like any job/profession some are worse than others. It’s easy to look at replays and see missed calls. no use arguing with the officials either; some players tend to argue about everything…..

Reaction Score
(even with all the injuries) the ability of KK and Shady speaks volumes for our squad... Ice is coming (still... not there yet though)... It's refreshing to see our backcourt depth on display... we weren't this tough the past few years back there...

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
It takes 15 years (if you're good) and around a million dollars worth of education to become a neurosurgeon. Going out on a limb here, but I think the bar to become a referee for a sporting event is just a bit lower than that.
It takes 15+ years, if you're good, miles of travel and out of pocket expenses, hours of study and personal training to get to the top level of officiating. Unclear why you think it necessary to demean the profession.

Reaction Score
It takes 15+ years, if you're good, miles of travel and out of pocket expenses, hours of study and personal training to get to the top level of officiating. Unclear why you think it necessary to demean the profession.
100% spot on. The amount of abuse referees take is unbelievable. I was a referee (both local and internationally) for several years and at some point I just couldn't justify the abuse any more.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Same people sitting in their easy chairs criticizing players for missing layups.

Reaction Score
I think outrebounding Marquette had special circumstances. Just like the last time they played, Megan had them running back instead of board crashing after a shot to prevent UConn’s transition game. This approach worked for almost a half until UConn’s superior defense made the strategy irrelevant and their half court game started really clicking.

Reaction Score
Fantastic game!!! Everybody eats. Paige doing what Paige does best, SCORE! Ashlynn getting better with every game, 7 rebounds and 2 steals. WOW!! Marquette is a competent team, but not in Uconn's league. Our starting 5 is really asserting themselves and will get even better in future games. I predicted another smack down and they delivered. Now, BRING ON NOTRE DAME. We are ready and on our home court, no problem!! GO FRESHMEN!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!
Ashlynn played the most minutes... : )

Reaction Score
What more to say that has not already been said. Our beloved UConn Huskies squad just keeps growing and growing and getting better each game, each practice, and each workout. This game against a pretty solid Marquette squad is just more proof of how far this team has grown from the start of the season until now. Great win, UConn!!

Reaction Score
100% spot on. The amount of abuse referees take is unbelievable. I was a referee (both local and internationally) for several years and at some point I just couldn't justify the abuse any more.
Referees miss calls it’s part of the game
There are tons of calls in a game that could go either way
Have been going to games since 1994
The increase in strength, size quickness, athleticism, and skill of the players has grown exponentially
I think there was a period where the officiating I need to catch up and I think it has
It seems wcbb has not quite figured out completely
Is how to let’s these “new” type of athletes use their great physical skills and at the same time not let the games turn into a wrestling match
I for one have been actually quite impressed with the officiating on games I’ve attended
Focusing on a few calls that you think we’re against UConn is not perhaps the best way to view the current state of officiating

That being said, I watch the Utah UCLA game, and I thought the officials allowed way too much pushing, shoving and grabbing to go on
While the game was exciting, there was no flow to the game due to the physicality and certainly not an example of beautiful basketball lol

Reaction Score
KK and Ash are in the lineup instead of Carol and Azzi. Can anyone realistically say that the starting lineup is weaker as a result? The real losses are bench power; just imagine for a second Aubrey, Jana, KK and Ash as the second unit? No one would beat that team.
Second unit for KK/ Ash may not be correct. Their play STD would demand "starter" minutes.

Reaction Score
Same people sitting in their easy chairs criticizing players for missing layups.
Yeah, they think that being winded and having defenders either close by or making some contact is the same as jogging through pregame warmups.

Reaction Score
Yeah, they think that being winded and having defenders either close by or making some contact is the same as jogging through pregame warmups.
Some people have only watched sports and not played them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog