UConn - Marquette post game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn - Marquette post game

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Marquette found out that spanking they took on New Year's Eve was no fluke.

Defense Defense Defense!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a great effort to stifle Marquette's offense. The run at the end of the 2nd quarter and the run in the 3rd quarter were fueled by that defense.

Offensively once we got it going, there was no stopping UConn. All five starters in double figures!! 13 straight wins.

This freshman class is growing game by game.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
HN edit - this is a transcript of CD‘s postgame radio interview

We didn't start great, made couple of defensive mistakes... and then that spurt.

Ash made a couple of big plays - lay up, knocked in a three.
Hard to take her out. Plays a lot of minutes. Never gets tired.
Not easy place to play. Physical team.
They didn't hit the glass because they were concerned about out transition.
AE didn't have a great game, but good to come back to get a double-double
Q gave good minutes, defensive plays, knocked in a shot
Happy for KK, didn't foul, played in front of fans

Defense plan?

King/Karlen - supposed to go over every screen didn't... so they made some shots. Hare is a good shooter, made shots.
End of game, they were tired, our conditioning took a toll....

We had 6 TOs in first half, 3 were offensive TO. No mindless turnover.

Paige knee - yikes. Foul?

She had two more blocks... hate to tell you.

CD: I think this kid crossed her up, but Paige swears she didn't

Half court three - fitting.

CD: Do that end of practice, didn't make one. I didn't think it was going in. (lol) That's Paige. She thinks everything is going in.

tomorrow off. Great weekend. 4 champ teams honored. Lots of players coming back and can spend time with team. Part of the program is carrying on traditions. Now that they're telling stories... some of those traditions I may not want passed on. lol

Caroline ?

If you think if you look at her comments that's what she's going to focus on. Support of teammates, program and campus. Whatever she needs to do, whatever we need to do. Chance to rest, do what docs say, gives her an opportunity. Quality of life key, basketball is second to that,
Health is most important - her life, her personal business. She's a quiet kid. Doesn't spread her life with a lot of people. Say hello, but know she's doing whatever she needs to do.

Bob: Good win... CD: Great win.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I didn't see a 26-point win coming in this one. When Paige went down I saw the season flash before my eyes. I was so relieved to see her back into the game and she didn't waste time letting the fans know she was okay. The half-court buzzer-beater at the half was the icing on the cake. We are starting to get some consistency on our offense...five players in double figures.

Except for Paige's 26 points the rest of the team was pretty well balanced. Eleven three-pointers...and we are doing this without Azzi and Caroline. Shooting 53 percent from the floor and 64.7 percent from three-point wasn't too shabby either. Another double-double for Aaliyah. 11 steals and only 8 turnovers...that is what they are going to need against Notre Dame. And, Ashlynn's 15 points, 3-3, 6 rebounds was a great game for the freshman.

The only downside was 50 percent from the foul line. And, our defense gave Karlen free reign in the first half. But, Geno's adjustments demonstrated why he makes the big bucks. Karlen had 19 points in the first half and only 2 in the second half.

Reaction Score
Happy for the win and the stretches where UConn showed we are a formidable team.

We came close to the 70 shots I was hoping the team would take. We will need that to take on the best teams. The 3 point shooting percentage was higher than the field goal and free throw percentages. Patience and practice should improve the shooting close to the basket.

There were defensive lapses in the first half. I am sure coach will have the team focused on that in preparation for Notre Dame. Defense got better in the second half.

Kudos to the team for a job well done!

Reaction Score
Lot of touch or ghost fouls in this game. Hard to watch at times. Seems like watching Duke.

Overall, some great play by the starting five led by crisp passing and hard-nosed defense. Most of our starters have good hands and pickup loose ball well. Nice to cut down on our turnovers and see the quick runs by an excellent shooting team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I came here specifically to note this. I thought they were terrible both ways, completely ignoring heavy body contact, grabbed arms, etc. Paige got away with a few, and Aaliyah got mugged, and then they call the phantom ones like the foul on the three by Q.

It does really cause you to wonder if there are any good refs in WCBB if this crew is a FF quality crew.

Reaction Score
How efficient do you want her? 61% FG, 80% on 3s, 5 assists and zero turnovers. You're hard to please. ;)
i caught myself thinking the same before i looked a little harder at the numbers. paige has me spoiled

Reaction Score
It became a non- factor tonight, but Maj Forsberg & Katie Lukanich officiated last night in the St. Johns/ Seton Hall overtime game. Geno has been vocally opposed to refs officiating on back- to- back nights. He has addressed this with the head of officiating, claiming that there are more than enough referees to avoid the exhausting work overload and tired officiating.

Reaction Score
I came here specifically to note this. I thought they were terrible both ways, completely ignoring heavy body contact, grabbed arms, etc. Paige got away with a few, and Aaliyah got mugged, and then they call the phantom ones like the foul on the three by Q.

It does really cause you to wonder if there are any good refs in WCBB if this crew is a FF quality crew.
Do the refs have to be specifically WCBB refs or can they be from anywhere so long as they know the rules? Surely this is a problem money can solve.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
647CEE2D-CA2C-4F74-B290-92A6E5E6EABB.jpeg

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Do the refs have to be specifically WCBB refs or can they be from anywhere so long as they know the rules? Surely this is a problem money can solve.
I believe for the NCAA they have to be WCBB refs (and they should be as style changes from college to pros and men to women) - I believe coaches fill out evaluations after every game, and conferences rank the crews that work their games and submit recommendations to the NCAA committee. The 'best' are then selected for the tournament and again evaluated as the games get played.

Didn't realize the refs were working consecutive nights - I could see that as an contributing issue but I didn't think they were out of position during the game - just making poor decisions. Wish I could watch the tape of St. Johns/Seton Hall and see if it was reffed the same way.

Reaction Score
I can't believe we won the game with such poor foul shooting. ( Sarcasm)
If you didn't watch the game and just read the Boneyard, you would think we lost the game rather than beating a very good team on their home court by 26.

Reaction Score
One could wax poetic about Paige again and again, but kudos tonight go out to Ashlynn & Nika. Ashlynn didn't force a thing, played strong defense and battled on the boards. Nika continues to display an improved offense. She was part of that stellar second quarter run.

I know Aaliyah is strong, but she gets mauled too many times throughout a game without a call. Thankfully, she never loses her cool.

Marquette was playing well and all of sudden were swept up into the vortex, and never really stood a chance afterwards.

Can't wait for Saturday's game. KK versus Hannah will be like the Olympic finals between Ben Johnson and Carl Lewis. I'd like to see who is faster baseline to baseline.
Edwards needs to make some shots away from the rim on Saturday, as rim shots won't come easy

Reaction Score
I didn't see a 26-point win coming in this one. When Paige went down I saw the season flash before my eyes. I was so relieved to see her back into the game and she didn't waste time letting the fans know she was okay. The half-court buzzer-beater at the half was the icing on the cake. We are starting to get some consistency on our offense...five players in double figures.

Except for Paige's 26 points the rest of the team was pretty well balanced. Eleven three-pointers...and we are doing this without Azzi and Caroline. Shooting 53 percent from the floor and 64.7 percent from three-point wasn't too shabby either. Another double-double for Aaliyah. 11 steals and only 8 turnovers...that is what they are going to need against Notre Dame. And, Ashlynn's 15 points, 3-3, 6 rebounds was a great game for the freshman.

The only downside was 50 percent from the foul line. And, our defense gave Karlen free reign in the first half. But, Geno's adjustments demonstrated why he makes the big bucks. Karlen had 19 points in the first half and only 2 in the second half.
KK and Ash are in the lineup instead of Carol and Azzi. Can anyone realistically say that the starting lineup is weaker as a result? The real losses are bench power; just imagine for a second Aubrey, Jana, KK and Ash as the second unit? No one would beat that team.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Thoughts:

-The interesting thing about Ash's game is how quiet she was on "O" in the 1st quarter...did she even attempt a shot?...I was thinking...She's rebounding, good D, passing...being guarded closely and not shooting...

-But the game opened up when Nike started her 'lil run. Again, I was thinking...what the teams needs now is fir Nike to shoot...More focus on her, left Ash open and bang.
You can't guard everybody tight...

-Ice was more like a freshman tonight, did a few things well,,,got some boards, but more hands of stone and rushing on "O," She'll be fine (eventually).

-Nan referred to the frosh all looking like frosh at times tonight...True, KK made some over ambitious drives in the general direction of the hoop; probably showing off for the family...but otherwise a solid game...Q, once or twice looked lost...In my HO...she's the one that has to learn to make good decisions and compete harder, using her god-given ability and wonderfully athletic frame...She will.
Don't remember Ash looking like a frosh at all.

- For me...at their best...it was again beautiful BB, that we old-timers love to see.

Reaction Score
I was surprised that Geno didn’t give Ice some help with Karlen in the first half. Ice had no chance against her. Of course, Karlen couldn’t handle Edwards either.

I suppose Paige was due for a logo 3. She has done everything else.

Until Marquette’s last two first half possessions, UCONN played great after Aaliyah got her third foul.

Speaking of fouls, Aaliyah’s first foul was one of the worst calls we will see all year. Typical though because Aaliyah is the leading victim of bad officiating. Not even close.

Shade keeps getting better and better. She is forcing less and you can tell the game has slowed way down for her. Even though the stats may not show it, she did a nice job guarding Hare.

The key to the game may have been Nika’s 8 point burst in the second quarter.

I thought KK forced things on offense. Maybe a little anxious playing front of her family.

When UCONN has ten or fewer turnovers, it takes a monumental task to beat them

Geno has shown a lot of patience with Ice. This was game 20. How much longer will his patience last?

Nika and Shade played really well but it was the Paige show. Again.
Not quite sure why you think Ice is doing so poorly but I think most of us here see her as continuing to get more comfortable. Sure, she’s still making mistakes, but not as many as before. She sat out for a full year and is a freshman big, after all! I am optimistic that by March she will be able to contribute on a more consistent basis. I doubt seriously that Geno is going to lose patience and give up on his only available backup for Aaliyah! She’s going to be a good player for us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom