UConn - Marquette post game | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn - Marquette post game

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Geno and CD have both said over and over that post players take a couple of years to develop.

Check history people. Dolson was big with good hands and a soft tough around the rim. But she wasn't in shape. She lost weight, got in good physical shape. By her junior year she was a top center.

Tina Charles - talented, started as a freshman and sophomore. But no where near the player she became in her junior year. She learned how to work her game harder than anyone else. The tournament her junior year was Tina's coming out party. She destroyed every team they played.

Ice is developing at a decent pace. She is learning a very physical game and a complex offense. She held her own last night and see will hold her own against the Irish.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
100% spot on. The amount of abuse referees take is unbelievable. I was a referee (both local and internationally) for several years and at some point I just couldn't justify the abuse any more.
I quit also. The coaches, fans, and players constantly unjust complaining got to be too much for me.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Officiating college basketball is actually very difficult. It’s easy for fans to criticize the refs. If you’ve ever officiated basketball you know that; they are doing the best that they can. Like any job/profession some are worse than others. It’s easy to look at replays and see missed calls. no use arguing with the officials either; some players tend to argue about everything…..
The point I was trying to make, perhaps too cryptically and obtusely.

Reaction Score
Some people have only watched sports and not played them
Obviously. And that's a good reason not to consider something simple or easy if that person can't or has never done it successfully in high level competition.

Reaction Score
I think outrebounding Marquette had special circumstances. Just like the last time they played, Megan had them running back instead of board crashing after a shot to prevent UConn’s transition game. This approach worked for almost a half until UConn’s superior defense made the strategy irrelevant and their half court game started really clicking.
Interesting…

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I don’t know what people don’t get about Ice. Not only is she a freshman who is coming off missing a whole year, but she is also a post player and post players often take more time to adjust. Anyone who thinks players like Dolson and Charles came in looking like the experienced versions of themselves don’t remember their early struggles, let alone not having missed their whole first year. Comparing her to Shade or Arnold is comparing apples and rudabagas. Shade is a very unusual freshman in a lot of ways.
Was Ice in solitary confinement last year, never attended a single practice or film session and was at the end of the year practicing a little with the team. Wasn't she also with the team throughout the summer? Yes some rust and learning is to be expected in November and December, hopefully by the end of January during her second year on campus many of these mistakes will have stopped, but in her defense over the decades of watching games some mistakes for many players never stop.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Was Ice in solitary confinement last year, never attended a single practice or film session and was at the end of the year practicing a little with the team. Wasn't she also with the team throughout the summer? Yes some rust and learning is to be expected in November and December, hopefully by the end of January during her second year on campus many of these mistakes will have stopped, but in her defense over the decades of watching games some mistakes for many players never stop.
She’s a freshman. That’s significant in real game situations, not AAU or practice. She has to adjust to the speed of the game and playing girls as big or bigger than her. Guards, not so much, but posts have a longer learning curve

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Geno and CD have both said over and over that post players take a couple of years to develop.

Check history people. Dolson was big with good hands and a soft tough around the rim. But she wasn't in shape. She lost weight, got in good physical shape. By her junior year she was a top center.

Tina Charles - talented, started as a freshman and sophomore. But no where near the player she became in her junior year. She learned how to work her game harder than anyone else. The tournament her junior year was Tina's coming out party. She destroyed every team they played.

Ice is developing at a decent pace. She is learning a very physical game and a complex offense. She held her own last night and see will hold her own against the Irish.
Dolson averaged as a freshman 10PPG. Geno said he recruited Dolson after watching her that she always was always running the hardest down the court after a play on the other end, yes she reworked her body after being on campus between seasons to get in better shape.

Season Ave
TEAM

GPGSMINPTSREBASTSTLBLKTOFGFG%3PT3P%FTFT%PFORDR
3700.010.06.21.60.51.22.14.2-6.961.20.0-0.00.01.6-1.980.62.21.94.3

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Dolson averaged as a freshman 10PPG.

Season Ave
TEAM

GPGSMINPTSREBASTSTLBLKTOFGFG%3PT3P%FTFT%PFORDR
3700.010.06.21.60.51.22.14.2-6.961.20.0-0.00.01.6-1.980.62.21.94.3
Stef wasn’t recovering from an injury. We don’t know if fear of reinjury is making Ice tentative but, hey, let’s criticize her anyway

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
She’s a freshman. That’s significant in real game situations, not AAU or practice. She has to adjust to the speed of the game and playing girls as big or bigger than her. Guards, not so much, but posts have a longer learning curve
Geno has said many times post players had to be taught more things to be good as a college player. Yes by class she is a freshman, but didn't step onto campus and into the gym and started getting taught by the staff this past September. Does anybody believe at this point in the season Geno is happy with her game?

Reaction Score
Perhaps the harshness of your comments
Should be reserved for professional like the nba and wnba and not 19 year old college players
Coming off knee surgery
Fortunately most on the boneyard feel the same way

Reaction Score
Geno has said many times post players had to be taught more things to be good as a college player. Yes by class she is a freshman, but didn't step onto campus and into the gym and started getting taught by the staff this past September. Does anybody believe at this point in the season Geno is happy with her game?
He has said as much and given her a lot of playing time. So yes, i do think he is generally happy with her game right now.

Reaction Score
Marquette is a solid team and Kudos for them playing us close in the first half. That Karlan kid is a baller! Paige's half court shot - wow. Was there any doubt it was going in? LOL. Held them to 21 points in the 2nd half. 3 point shooting was on point tonight, especially Paige, Nika and Ash. In fact, our 3 point % (65)was better than our FT % (50). All 5 starters in double figures!
  • Paige - what more can you say about her? Every game she plays she shows why she's a NPOY caliber player. Tonight was no exception. Not as efficient as we've seen her in the past, but LOVED her taking 18 shots. POG easy call.
  • Ash - she did a lot more than just score - rebounding, stealing, just a solid beast out there harassing Marquette at every turn.
  • Nika did what Nika does these days - shot 5-9 overall and nailed three 3-pointers.
  • Liya - missed too many shots going 5-13, but still managed a double double. The foul calls against her continue to be head scratching.
  • KK - freshman wall? No thank you! Continued her solid play. LOVE her game.
  • Ice - not an eye popping game, but 4 points, 3 assists, 5 rebounds - continues to be solid off the bench. but that 2' airball?!
  • Q - so happy she nailed that 3. Seems to play better when she lets the game come to her and doesn't force things.
Defense really clamped down. Especially in the 2nd half. Yet another game the team should be super happy with. Also happy we had enough of a solid lead to get Amari and Ines some time against a really good NCAA quality team. Handed Marquette their first home loss. Bravo!
ICE--Geno must be pulling his hair out. Her potential is so great. But she looks lost at times. For a lady with her amount of PT she turns it over too often and at the wrong times.
Paige almost did the Sue Bird thing of hitting the half court end of game (quarter) shot.
Caroline--Her taking the year of was expected. I doubt she comes back to play. There is more to her "injury" than meets the eye.
Ashlynn--She's my new SUE BIRD--only better. What talent what energy what engagement in the game, scoring, decent defense--her head is in the game---and she is having fun.
Q--hasn't yet learned to share her toys. She can score, she can defend--passing is probably good if she ever gets the knack.
Edwards--what would this team be without her??
Nika---same as above--
Paige--is in a universe of her own.
KK--I like her parents! You can tell they are great by looking at KK.

Reaction Score
When the team was struggling to score I’m like give the ball to Ash. They give her the ball… swish!!
That's me! Scoring slump--give the ball to Ashlynn. The kid hustles, scores big time, she defends--SUE BIRD --did all those things--and when Sue messed up---next play she stole the ball, made a basket, made a stop--you see that in Lil Chief Sure Shot.

Reaction Score
Fantastic game!!! Everybody eats. Paige doing what Paige does best, SCORE! Ashlynn getting better with every game, 7 rebounds and 2 steals. WOW!! Marquette is a competent team, but not in Uconn's league. Our starting 5 is really asserting themselves and will get even better in future games. I predicted another smack down and they delivered. Now, BRING ON NOTRE DAME. We are ready and on our home court, no problem!! GO FRESHMEN!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!
Marquette--is a very good team. Uconn's terrific defense made them look not so good.. The way they shoot the 3 and they are in EVERY play--the first half back and forth showed you how good they can be.

PvP

Reaction Score
Stef wasn’t recovering from an injury. We don’t know if fear of reinjury is making Ice tentative but, hey, let’s criticize her anyway
Hello Nan,

By any chance do you have a link to Geno's postgame presser from last evening? I haven't been able to find it, although Marquette's coach's comments are available on YouTube. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Marquette is a solid team and Kudos for them playing us close in the first half. That Karlan kid is a baller! Paige's half court shot - wow. Was there any doubt it was going in? LOL. Held them to 21 points in the 2nd half. 3 point shooting was on point tonight, especially Paige, Nika and Ash. In fact, our 3 point % (65)was better than our FT % (50). All 5 starters in double figures!
  • Paige - what more can you say about her? Every game she plays she shows why she's a NPOY caliber player. Tonight was no exception. Not as efficient as we've seen her in the past, but LOVED her taking 18 shots. POG easy call.
  • Ash - she did a lot more than just score - rebounding, stealing, just a solid beast out there harassing Marquette at every turn.
  • Nika did what Nika does these days - shot 5-9 overall and nailed three 3-pointers.
  • Liya - missed too many shots going 5-13, but still managed a double double. The foul calls against her continue to be head scratching.
  • KK - freshman wall? No thank you! Continued her solid play. LOVE her game.
  • Ice - not an eye popping game, but 4 points, 3 assists, 5 rebounds - continues to be solid off the bench. but that 2' airball?!
  • Q - so happy she nailed that 3. Seems to play better when she lets the game come to her and doesn't force things.
Defense really clamped down. Especially in the 2nd half. Yet another game the team should be super happy with. Also happy we had enough of a solid lead to get Amari and Ines some time against a really good NCAA quality team. Handed Marquette their first home loss. Bravo!
Ice needs better ball control skills. When she puts the ball on the floor it is as if the ball is one of those whacky super bounce toys that zip around the room. Much to work on under the hoop. But you can see her improving. and she is growing " tougher" as a rebounder. Edwards is a bit too single minded; when she gets the ball she is going for the score....whether the opening is there or I if not ) she is going to force it. Her outside shooting ( poor yesterday ) and charging fouls show the result. Don't get me wrong...she is fantastic. I am simply looking for perfection. KK needs to remember she can shoot well from 12 feet as well as from the arc. She doesn't need to make a drive out of everything ( though she comes close ). Driving against three bigs is usually not productive. Needs to use her eyes and BBIQ just a bit more. But I am nit picking. She is amazing and has dished off some beautiful assists. I want to believe that Q is getting a little bit more comfortable with our ( and her ) defense. She looked more well positioned yesterday against Marquette. No one talks about this but it seems to me ( eye test ) she is one of the fastest players on the court, no matter who we are playing.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Hello Nan,

By any chance do you have a link to Geno's postgame presser from last evening? I haven't been able to find it, although Marquette's coach's comments are available on YouTube. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
It was an away game. Marquette would release the postgame and they haven’t, sam as other schools

Reaction Score
Watching one of the highlights videos, I paid special attention to the collision with King. On the bench afterwards, Paige seemed to be rubbing the muscle on the side and slightly above her knee. In other words, it may not have been a bone on bone collision. If I'm right about this, the area around her knee will be sore tomorrow and may even be swollen. This shouldn't pose any long term problem as long as she is careful to bring the swelling down so. it doesn't stretch any ligaments or tendons out of position. I imagine Janelle Francisco is all over this.
It appeared the inside of her left knee was hit my King’s knee. Not a direct knee to knee.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Marquette--is a very good team. Uconn's terrific defense made them look not so good.. The way they shoot the 3 and they are in EVERY play--the first half back and forth showed you how good they can be.
Marquette is a good team, not a very good team.

Reaction Score
Yes, we won and yes, we big again. But please keep in mind who we won against and who we lost against. I keep seeing comments about how much our guards have improved but, unfortunately, those comments are counteracted by the lack of improvement by our "bigs" which is precisely where our main area of improvement is needed if we are to match teams like S.C. and Notre Dame.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yes, we won and yes, we big again. But please keep in mind who we won against and who we lost against. I keep seeing comments about how much our guards have improved but, unfortunately, those comments are counteracted by the lack of improvement by our "bigs" which is precisely where our main area of improvement is needed if we are to match teams like S.C. and Notre Dame.
Marquette is 15-4 after two losses to UConn and is ten spots higher than LSU in strength of schedule. They’re the first team listed in Others Receiving Votes, or the 26th ranked team, and were playing at home. That’s who.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It was an away game. Marquette would release the postgame and they haven’t, sam as other schools
However, if you happened to watch and/or DVR the SNY postgame show, it showed about 10 minutes of Geno's postgame press conference. For reasons which are now well-known, that replay can't be offered through YouTube. However, if you find a way to watch it, you will see (I think) most of his commentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom