UCONN - Iowa post game | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UCONN - Iowa post game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
About
Lazy passes, poor awareness on defense. We have to clean these things up before it costs us a game. They are mental lapses that I know were better than, we just lose focus too often. And Nika was right, she needs to be better and is hard on herself because she is a perfectionist and is damn near perfect when she plays the way she knows she can. I like that about her. 13 assists is incredible but she’s thinking about the 6 turnovers and our offense looking out of sorts at times. Those are easily fixable and she knows it. Without those small errors she’s a god and I think she will only get better, imagine that. Lou’s shot is good but she takes too long to shoot and tight defense on her and she has a huge problem. Scares me, this makes Caroline really important because I’m afraid Lou will have some games where she is a non factor. Love her and she’s a hell of a shooter but just my thought that that will be a problem against certain teams in the future. The refereeing was terrible, our girls couldn’t go near Clark without being called for a foul. Lots of fights and an incredibly gutsy win. All of the bad things I saw and to still fight back and get the win was really really impressive. I can help but think that we will only get better because the things I saw besides Lou’s low release can be fixed. I guess for Lou she just has to figure out how to get herself the space she needs to get her shot off be a she can shoot it, it just takes a year for her to release it.
To me, I don’t think Lou has a slow shot at all.

Reaction Score
Agreed. There were many great performances today. Some saw the game as a struggle for UConn at times. I saw it differently. I saw Iowa play hard and shoot the lights out. UConn had 3 unforced turnovers in the first half which was the difference in the score at the half.
I've give credit to Iowa. It's not so much that UConn was out of sync, but that Iowa was in sync. Give credit where credit is due. Iowa stepped up and went toe-to-toe with UConn in the first half.

They were not able to sustain the intensity and scoring in the 2nd half. That and Azzi woke up and found her stroke in the 3rd quarter. Iowa won the first half. UConn won the second half. It's waaaayyyy to early to expect UConn or anyone other team to play a "perfect" game this early in the season. I'll look for perfect games in February and March not November.
That makes sense. Iowa deserves full credit.
As for the 4th Q many have observed that Clark looked gassed.
If she was wearing one of those monitors my guess is she ran a lot more steps than normal trying to shake Nika.

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
For some unknown reason, some players have a good game against UConn. The Huskies get everybody's best effort. Today was martin's turn to feel her oats. The next game, she won't shoot like that. Their next game (13) NC St. Dec 1, will be formidable, but they won't be UConn. Everybody want to take down the Huskies.
They have good games because UConn double teams the star player and chooses a low scoring player to leave open. Kudos to Martin for making the Huskies pay

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The one word forbidden in the UCONN locker room: DISCOURAGED
The one word demanded in the UCONN locker room: CONFIDENT
This team was unphased & never discouraged by the 11 point deficit. Despite a futile early effort, the shooters kept shooting with confidence until the ball started dropping.
It must be the culture that Geno has instilled at UCONN.
If nothing else, after this game, this team (and Geno) now know what type of "grit" they have. This team passed a lot of tests and overcame some adversity today. Games like this either builds character or reveals it. ;)

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned that Caroline was originally scheduled to start? Who was she intended to start in place of? And why didn't she start if she was scheduled to start?

Reaction Score
I think many Husky fans underestimated Iowa. They are much more than Clark and are well coached. Some of the comments about UConn's bad first half overlook the fact that resulted from Iowa's very good defense and multiple scoring options

Reaction Score
Now that my blood pressure meds have finally kicked in:

1. Aaliyah Edwards. What a game from her and that MVP is well deserved.
2. Welcome home Caroline Ducharme! So good to see her get her game back & at a crucial time for the Huskies.
3. Nika- 38 total assists in 3 consecutive games against Top 10 teams in the same week. You go, girl!!!
4. I hate those black uniforms and I hope they do not wear them again.

Reaction Score
Recommend that anyone who hasn't seen this game take a look. One of the most clutch performances by an entire Huskie team I have seen. After being behind by 11, UConn regained and lost the lead twice in the 4th Q. Virtually everyone contributed when the game could have gotten out of hand. Caroline, Lou, Azzi, etc. all looked very relaxed and made shots when needed. One of the most exciting and clutch UConn games I have seen in 25+ years.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Yes. So Strong. Everyone who heard one of Holly Rowe's pointless in-game stories knows how strong.
And I am mad and disappointed that Holly didn't know by the time that the game started that Nika was not feeling well and didn't give us a 5 minute update after every tv commercial. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
As I mentioned in the BA thread I was not able to watch the game live. I was checking the score and was not pleased until I checked and saw that the Huskies were up by 7 with something like 44 seconds left. Then my day got better.

Who would have thought that with the people the team is missing they would be 5-0 at this point, beating the #3, #10, and #5 ranked teams. To me, coming back from an 11 point deficit is my personal key takeaway from this game. The last few years, that would not have happened against a team like Iowa. A bit of a break at Providence and then on to Notre Dame who is currently ranked 7 I believe. I'm just really impressed with this team so far.

Reaction Score
Holly is the Del Griffith of sideline reporters IYKYK
I haven’t watched a sporting event with the sound on more than a few times in decades so I know who Holly Rowe is but I’m not sure I’ve ever heard her. But I sure as heck know Del Griffith; John Candy’s car scene to Ray Charles’ “Mess Around” is one of my all time favorite movie scenes. And now I know Rowe’s style without ever hearing her…..thanks for the laugh!!

Reaction Score
When not dealing with an injury. Caroline is the most well rounded player.
So true. A healthy Caroline is a matchup nightmare for nearly every team in the country. She cuts well, has length, can shoot the 3, etc. We saw it against SC in the NC game and again today against Iowa. Can’t wait to see how Carol comes along as her fitness levels catch up.

Reaction Score
Martin played way above her head. If Iowa needs her to do that every game just to be competitive against top teams, they will not have a long run in the tournament.
What a fun game! Hats off to UConn: clearly the more talented team, even though not at full strength.

Iowa shot 36% from 3 in this game; they were at 33% coming in, so not a lights out shooting performance overall. Kate was out of her mind at 6-6, but Clark and Warnock were a combined 5-22. What really killed the Hawks was that they were 11-23 on layups. Credit to your defense for intimidating them on a number of those misses.

Really enjoyed the spirit of the game...wasn't able to detect any nastiness from any of the players.

Here's to a rematch later this season....hopefully really deep in the tournament!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned that Caroline was originally scheduled to start? Who was she intended to start in place of? And why didn't she start if she was scheduled to start?
That was me. Lou was not slated to start ahead of Caroline. Caroline started some games last year. She has been experiencing neck stiffness since the start of the season. Lou was substituted for Lou and has done an OUTSTANDING job. She fir right in. Lou is use to starting. She started at Fairfield for 4 years. The deeper they get into the schedule, the easier it will become for Lou. Caroline may be ready to be placed back into the starting line up soon. Lou will probably then become the 6th man.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think many Husky fans underestimated Iowa. They are much more than Clark and are well coached. Some of the comments about UConn's bad first half overlook the fact that resulted from Iowa's very good defense and multiple scoring options
I did!! I thought UConn would handle them with more ease than they did. I certainly did not expect a single digit win. I predicted a 12 point MOV. :rolleyes: But looking at some of the predictions in the prognosticators thread, so did a lot of others.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
You have to give Iowa credit. They played well in the 2nd quarter and completely stifled UConn with that junk defense (triangle & 2). There was no lack of effort or coasting on UConn's part.
and to think that i was mocked, mocked i say! for pointing out that our offensive wonderfulness will make teams turn to zone, in desperation.
meh, packed, stacked, and ready to jack, so who's up next to whack?

ayanna, 4 points and 3 boards in seven minutes. 'gimme that game time, it's mine!' and so begins another beeyootiful relationship. thanks, geno.

Reaction Score
Maybe Caroline has looked good in practice lately. I read somewhere that Geno wants more movement. When Caroline is at her best she moves a lot. I'm for BOTH players getting lots of PT. Both players are key contributors. It's nice to have options and if scoring is the problem they can sub in at least one player who can really score when needed with either of them. Aubrey gives them yet another option with more quickness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom