UCONN - Iowa post game | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UCONN - Iowa post game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The camera operator for this presser was an AMATEUR. I got dizzy from him/her moving the camera around the room searching for the person asking the question (whom they never found) instead of just leaving the camera pointed at the podium. :confused: Good help is sometimes hard to find. It was hard to enjoy the Q & A because of the incessant camera movement.
I agree it was hard to watch; but it was worth watching because of the excellent and positive comments by the three Iowa people. I think we are a little spoiled by the good jobs done by the camera crews at Gample and XL pre and post game sessions. I think we have even had a roving mike a few times so we could hear the question as well as the answer. I really like that.

Reaction Score
AE has been terrific this year. She has that midrange going which is really going to help us when teams try to put a big on her. The threat creates space as well.

CD had a nice game all around. Starting to get it back. She can hit the open three when others create her the opp and then GA can match her in the low post. Gives up some quickness on defense but it this game, she made up for it with length. Still she will have a tough go at it against quicker players. Disrupted clark when she got the penetration on her.

AG was flat out amazing in the opening 10 minutes. Again, doing all the things she did a couple years ago and now having confidence to take a jumper...and hit it. She is really a nice chess piece to have for GA.

Shooters and Lou were cold in the first half but thankfully came alive in the second half in a huge way. Iowa disrupted our offence in the second quarter on about 5 or so possessions. The rest of them we had open shots, but didnt hit them, otherwise we would have had a lead at half.

Rebecca with the observation of the night: 'Nika is an outstanding defensive player'. Didn't Rebecca get the memo that Nika has slow feet? Nika was terrific on the defensive side - the primary defender on clark for most (not all) of the night. She really moved her feet well to keep clark in front of her on most every possession. Clark may be the best guard in the nation and up until 2 minutes left in the game she was shooting at 33%. Nika had her most of the game and also ran the offense, had 13 assists - she must own the record now for most games in a row with double digit assists... Only two fouls.... great performance. I thought there were times, especially in the late 2nd qtr that she got gassed but apparently GA can't afford to sit Nika even for a minute or two. 6 TOs is not good - some were not entirely her fault and some bad decisions - due to fatigue I recond. She also caused 2-3 TOs on Iowa but this doesn't show up in the box score. I think she was a big reason why we won.

Even without dorka, we dominated on the glass - must have had 15-20 more rebounds than Iowa.

Great team effort. This team is tough minded and if we can shoot the rock, we will ber back in the final 4.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
A plane flew into some high-tension lines soon after the game yesterday, so I wasn't able to read or post to the BY. I just have a few thoughts:

Clark got her 25 or so, but Czinano only took 7 shots. Iowa had four players (none named Czinano) in double figures. I believe three of those players scored season highs. There's something to be said for teams that have had the same starting five for three years; they play together as a unit very well. Kudos to the Iowa team and Coach Bluder and her assistants. I agree with others -- I've seen Iowa a couple of times this year, and this was by far their best performance.

I thought UConn's team defense was really good. Aaliyah didn't deny Czinano the ball all by herself. I loved the line from Clark relayed by Holly, something like "I've got this girl stuck to my face, I need help." That about sums up Nika. Caroline came up with some really good defensive plays, and Azzi, Aubrey, and Lou really meshed well in the defensive scheme. It was a good team effort.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A plane flew into some high-tension lines soon after the game yesterday, so I wasn't able to read or post to the BY. I just have a few thoughts:

Clark got her 25 or so, but Czinano only took 7 shots. Iowa had four players (none named Czinano) in double figures. I believe three of those players scored season highs. There's something to be said for teams that have had the same starting five for three years; they play together as a unit very well. Kudos to the Iowa team and Coach Bluder and her assistants. I agree with others -- I've seen Iowa a couple of times this year, and this was by far their best performance.

I thought UConn's team defense was really good. Aaliyah didn't deny Czinano the ball all by herself. I loved the line from Clark relayed by Holly, something like "I've got this girl stuck to my face, I need help." That about sums up Nika. Caroline came up with some really good defensive plays, and Azzi, Aubrey, and Lou really meshed well in the defensive scheme. It was a good team effort.
To confirm, was this about Nika or Aaliyah? In the presser, Bluder was talking about how super athletic Aaliyah was and Caitlin was nodding. That offensive charge drawn on Clark was a work of art.

Reaction Score
A great game all around. Aaliyah was great. Caroline and Lou played gritty and tough. Caroline great post ups on Iowa's guards. Azzi brilliant 2d half....if you are a good shooter, keep shoting. Nika great defense on Caitlan Clark. Aubrey and Ayanna strong defense. And Geno figured it out in the second quarter.
Good post, Azzi is more like a great shooter.

Reaction Score
ooops, just one more thing. All the smart things have already been said, and the negative, the coaches will work on.
When Caroline made her first three, she became an entirely different player. I love to see a young player turn it around. I am sure she didn't even need the plane to fly home.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
ooops, just one more thing. All the smart things have already been said, and the negative, the coaches will work on.
When Caroline made her first three, she became an entirely different player. I love to see a young player turn it around. I am sure she didn't even need the plane to fly home.

and enjoy a relaxing cup of joe (or sweeter) with her partner in crime

Reaction Score
I am sure she didn't even need the plane to fly home.
There’s so much to celebrate in this team — all 5 starters to begin with. But for some reason I enjoy seeing Caroline on the floor the most. I can date it not to her last second heroics in the DePaul game last season, but to a moment against Xavier (I think) when she got a steal at mid court and, in a single motion, pivoted and flung the ball down the court to someone streaking to the basket. She utterly floored me with that move. This girl is capable of great things and does them at the most surprising moments. I’m sure the plane was just a formality on her flight home!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

I read this morning that the two people in the plane were taken to hospital with serious injuries. Hoping they recover. :(

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
(possibly dumb) question: am i right that Nika and Aaliyah both have an extra year of eligibility
Putting aside injury/redshirt years, Paige, Aaliyah, and Nike have a 5th "super senior covid" year in 24-25. Aubrey's 5th covid year is 23-24, however she also may have a redshirt year for 21-22, and Paige similarly for this year, however I don't track RS years unless they come back. Tracking the extra covid year enough craziness.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
A couple of things I noticed. Iowa has problems creating their own shot except of Clark. Alot of wide open 3's which Iowa is not known for. When UConn picked up the defense in the second half we got going. We slowed Clark down in the second half and Czinano was kept under control most of the game with double downs which may be why Martin was open and had 20 pts. UConn can put up alot of pts in a very short time. We have really good shooters from the outside ala only 6 free throws and opponents are gonna have to come out and guard us. We also are able to create our own shots and we are very quick which makes us hard to defend. Last game Lou scored 20 in the second half this time it was Azzi. With that said Caroline does so much on both sides of the ball. Providence will give us a breather and a chance to get everybody more involved. Then at ND which will be a tall task.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I read this morning that the two people in the plane were taken to hospital with serious injuries. Hoping they recover. :(
It was VERY foggy here last night. It looks like the HT lines are about half a mile from the airport. I'd hope the pilot was flying by instruments, but you never know. . .

Looks like the folks will be fine.

Reaction Score
I dunno. But Nika was pretty much stuck to Caitlin's face the whole second half.
AE should have had a second one too but clearly the refs blew the call. She has some really quick feet for a big. She is quickly becoming an AA.

NM was so much in Clark's face that Clark knew what Nika had for breakfast. NM is really heady about what is around her, where the pick is coming from, where her help is, etc. All of that adds up to a terrific defensive performance.

Reaction Score
Yup. The replay was clear, Czinano lowered her shoulder and Aaliyah was definitely outside the restricted area. Plus, that one was hard contact, not at all a flop.
it was an easier call than the one they did make.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Yup. The replay was clear, Czinano lowered her shoulder and Aaliyah was definitely outside the restricted area. Plus, that one was hard contact, not at all a flop.
I know the charge/block call is the toughest to get right in basketball, but the ref totally blew that one. Aaliyah had good position AND Monika lowered her shoulder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom