UCONN - Iowa post game | Page 11 | The Boneyard

UCONN - Iowa post game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
What took you so long @Carnac ;)
My time is not my own now. We have a 3 year in our house (our great grand niece) part time. Her mom is not in a position to care for her right now. She runs the house when she's here. Case in point......she wanted me to give her her bath yesterday with 1:52 seconds left in the game. I told her she would have to wait a couple of minutes. She could not understand why. :confused: Short of a house fire or an earthquake, I WAS NOT going to leave the game before it was over.

There are 3 adults in the house. We take turns playing with her, bathing her, feeding her and keeping her entertained. That means taking her outside (you can't keep a kid cooped up in the house all day, especially when it's nice out. It also means getting on the floor and playing with her toys and dolls which can be a challenge when you're our age. :confused: Sometimes when I'm watching TV, and she'll get up in my chair and tell me she wants to watch Mickey Mouse or some other cartoon, totally oblivious that I might be enjoying what I'm watching, and might want to continue watching it. Guess what.....suddenly we're now watching Mickey Mouse. Get the picture? :)

We love having her here, understanding that she's here for a reason. The Father put her here on purpose. She's a blessing to all of us. We've had her since she was 6 weeks old. I miss her when she's at her grandmother's house. She lives between the two households. She is miss personality. So, I live and work around her needs and wants when she's here. I'm the only man in her life, so I can't/don't tell her no when she needs or want's my attention. In the next couple of years, she'll need less and less of my time as she matures a little and begins preschool/kindergarten and TV programs are able to hold her attention longer.

As she grows older that will change. My two grown granddaughters don't need me anymore like they did when they were her age. :( So in the mean time........she runs through the house spending time with each of us on a rotating basis. I love it. :D Here she comes now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My time is not my own now. We have a 3 year in our house (our great grand niece) part time. Her mom is not in a position to care for her right now. She runs the house when she's here. Case in point......she wanted me to give her her bath yesterday with 1:52 seconds left in the game. I told her she would have to wait a couple of minutes. She could not understand why. :confused: Short of a house fire or an earthquake, I WAS NOT going to leave the game before it was over.

There are 3 adults in the house. We take turns playing with her, bathing her, feeding her and keeping her entertained. That means taking her outside (you can't keep a kid cooped up in the house all day, especially when it's nice out. It also means getting on the floor and playing with her toys and dolls which can be a challenge when you're our age. :confused: Sometimes when I'm watching TV, and she'll get up in my chair and tell me she wants to watch Mickey Mouse or some other cartoon, totally oblivious that I might be enjoying what I'm watching, and might want to continue watching it. Guess what.....suddenly we're now watching Mickey Mouse. Get the picture? :)

We love having her here, understanding that she's here for a reason. The Father put her here on purpose. She's a blessing to all of us. We've had her since she was 6 weeks old. I miss her when she's at her grandmother's house. She lives between the two households. She is miss personality. So, I live and work around her needs and wants when she's here. I'm the only man in her life, so I can't/don't tell her no when she needs or want's my attention. In the next couple of years, she'll need less and less of my time as she matures a little and begins preschool/kindergarten and TV programs are able to hold her attention longer.

As she grows older that will change. My two grown granddaughters don't need me anymore like they did when they were her age. :( So in the mean time........she runs through the house spending time with each of us on a rotating basis. I love it. :D Here she comes now.
Just great stuff!! I have a different but somewhat similar situation babysitting my 4 year old grandson after pre-school and man, it has rejuvenated this old fart like I never would have believed could happen. You very obviously are, but enjoy!!!!

JBK

Reaction Score
Lou has filled in nicely for Caroline in the first few games, especially as a shooter. But this game really showed the things Caroline does that we were missing. One moment in the 2nd half when she stepped through a box-out by two Hawkeyes and just took the rebound away from them, that was classic Caroline. I don't think Lou has that in her arsenal.
He had the 3 of them in during crunch time.
Lou - Caroline and Azzi.
When they are shooting well, pretty fun to watch.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

the only difference between ur situation and geno's with paige, is that geno is on the phone every single day to paige's doc with 'can she play tomorrow? can she play tomorrow? can she play the next day? when can she play? i need a rest!'
lol.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Carnac...you say she is 3? You understand your obligations to have her pom-pom
waving with glee during UConn women games. Does not matter one bit if she doesn't have a clue about what is happening [uhh...like some Boneyarders?]...just that she is having fun...especially when she realizes that shaking
the pom pom in your face is an example of All-American pom-pomming.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
One of the items I am curious to see play out is if Ayanna is already getting a reputation for fouling that the Refs see fouls even before they occur?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Carnac...you say she is 3? You understand your obligations to have her pom-pom
waving with glee during UConn women games. Does not matter one bit if she doesn't have a clue about what is happening [uhh...like some Boneyarders?]...just that she is having fun...especially when she realizes that shaking
the pom pom in your face is an example of All-American pom-pomming.
What do 3 year olds know? Just that they want what they want. One of us has to be the adult. :) I understand and gladly accept my role in her life. :D

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
@Carnac
Thank you for sharing.
Having similar periods of time in the lives of my grad & great grandkids.

I sat here at the table and read your post to my wife.

Gotta say, had to take some breaks because I kept having severe case of blurry vision and shortness of breath.

No. The shortness of breath was not related to influenza.

One thing we know. When we have the littles ones in our lives. We can create amazingly wonderful memories that will last them a lifetime.

Reaction Score
Is anyone else impressed with the way Geno is utilizing Ayanna? He is getting her vital minutes while she is still learning on the fly. We can see the raw talent & she is a bit rough around the edges. But freshman Ayanna has bought into the system & already plays the Husky style.

Reaction Score
Far too exciting for my taste LOL. Seriously tho, it was like a heavyweight battle of body blows. UCONN had a great Q1, crappy start to Q3 that turned into a great quarter, and Iowa had a great Q2.

Overall, a tremendous win. Much closer than most of us I think thought. It goes to show how good a team who is blessed with talented upperclassmen who have played together for several years (Iowa) can be when they are clicking. They are way more than Just Clark and Czinano. 13-36 from 3 for Iowa - 36% - a bit high for my taste - was hoping someone would cover that kid Martin LOL. They are a really tough team to play.

But UCONN found their sea legs and ended up 8-20 (40%).

A fantastic learning experience for the team. The win was incredible, but Geno will be able to go back over the tape for the team and show then things that need improvement. This team is super focused and seems incredibly coachable so I expect good things from that.

Azzi and Lou pretty much no-shows offensively in H1. Much better in H2. BUT my POG is Aaliyah. Double double and 6 assists to boot. she was a monster. Nika is well on her way to being one of my favorite all time PG's for UCONN. only 2 points and 6 TO's BUT 13 assists? COME ON. Ridiculous in a great way. Aubrey was great in the 1st half, but kind of quiet for stretches. Not her best game, but I think it will be hard to take her out of the starting lineup when Dorka comes back.

And how about Caroline? Talk about finding your sea legs. She did a lot of good things on the floor including going 3-6 from 3 and scoring 15 points. Ayanna continues to get better each game as well.

Overall a great win. Not a great MOV, but what a gutty comeback from the team - no quit in these guys.
Excellent summary. But our bench is pretty thin for playing against the top teams. Dorka will add a lot, once she is healthy and in basketball form. I think we dan forget about DeBerry becoming a force. She may Earn some garbage time in blow outs, but I don't see her contributing anything, other than as a cheerleader, this season.

Reaction Score
Lou has filled in nicely for Caroline in the first few games, especially as a shooter.
And Caroline filled in nicely for both Lou and Aubrey this last game when they both got in foul trouble. She did so well for Aubrey towards the end of the third and the fourth quarters there was just no taking her out of the game.

Reaction Score
I just watched the replay. As great a player as Clark is, no doubt I would rather have Fudd on my team. Clark takes a lot of high risk, high degree of difficulty shots. Fudd tends to take shots in the flow of the game.
Each does her job remarkably well for what is needed for her team. That Caitlin shoots it at 45-47 percent considering all those difficult shots, I'd say she's a reasonable alternative.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Looking for help. Given the 2022/23 roster only Lopez-Senechal and Juhasz will be completing their UConn careers whenever the season ends. The remaining 10 has 3 listed as Juniors (Bueckers/Muhl/Edwards) and a Red shirt Junior (Griffin), 3 sophs (Fudd/Ducharme/DeBerry) and 3 frosh (Brady/Patterson/Bettencourt). I don't recall the recruits but for my question they are not in the mix. How many years (using them or not) of eligibility does Paige have? And does Brady have 4 when she starts her career in the 23/24 season? And guessing that Edwards has two years left. Now my guesses don't know if any of the women will leave because their class graduates or they turn 22 only because that was the last WNBA rule I was aware of. So help from any experts in the myriad of what could be will be appreciated.

Reaction Score
Classy group - them Iowa ladies!!!
So cool hearing Caitlin spend much of her short time in the presser to praising her longtime teammate, Kate Martin, for her performance. Clark is misjudged by a lot of people who haven't seen her play all that much, or seen her interviews. She's very much Huskies-like classy (except for her occasional impetuous moment on the court).

Reaction Score
Looking for help. Given the 2022/23 roster only Lopez-Senechal and Juhasz will be completing their UConn careers whenever the season ends. The remaining 10 has 3 listed as Juniors (Bueckers/Muhl/Edwards) and a Red shirt Junior (Griffin), 3 sophs (Fudd/Ducharme/DeBerry) and 3 frosh (Brady/Patterson/Bettencourt). I don't recall the recruits but for my question they are not in the mix. How many years (using them or not) of eligibility does Paige have? And does Brady have 4 when she starts her career in the 23/24 season? And guessing that Edwards has two years left. Now my guesses don't know if any of the women will leave because their class graduates or they turn 22 only because that was the last WNBA rule I was aware of. So help from any experts in the myriad of what could be will be appreciated.
After this year and beginning with the 2023-24 year, and adding in the free Covid year; Griffin has two years eligibility and Paige has three years eligibility.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score

I would have loved to have a granddaughter. I have been blessed with three sons and five grandsons, the latest born three hours after the Texas game last Monday. God bless you for caring for that precious little girl, I know she will always remember you for your kindness and love.

Reaction Score
After this year and beginning with the 2023-24 year, and adding in the free Covid year; Griffin has two years eligibility and Paige has three years eligibility.
oops .... in place of "eligibility" for both Aubrey and Paige, should read "competition remaining"

as a refresher: Athletes have 5 years of eligibilty to complete 4 years of competition. The Covid year, 2020 - 21, does not count as a year of competition. I think athletes who get a sixth year of eligibility automatically but I am not positive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer