UConn in the 2018 MLB Draft | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn in the 2018 MLB Draft

Reaction Score
I’d be very surprised if it is close to this. Their pool is $10.4M. Unless they’re getting some phenomenal deals on the front end of their draft, that’s a large portion of their pool to cough up for a 11th rounder. Considering their was discussions about him in the 5th where the slot was $350,000, I doubt the Pirates are willing to stray too far from that number as that’s probably the number they’re comfortable with.

If I were to guess, that is the number Burrows would want to sign.
No idea on the accuracy of the number, but they purposely took college guys in rounds 3-10 to sign below slot for this exact scenario

Reaction Score
No idea on the accuracy of the number, but they purposely took college guys in rounds 3-10 to sign below slot for this exact scenario

Explain this to me. The theory is they took players higher than they had to to save money, so that they could take a player lower than they wanted him put pay him more money?

I'm not an expert on the baseball draft, but does that make sense?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Explain this to me. The theory is they took players higher than they had to to save money, so that they could take a player lower than they wanted him put pay him more money?

Not much about the baseball draft actually does make sense.

But yes, what you said does happen.

Reaction Score
More from the New London Day and Coach Penders upcoming meeting with the Burrows family:

UConn's Penders ready to make his pitch to Burrows

>>"It's great to have choices in life," Penders said on Thursday night at the UConn Huskies Coaches Road Show in Stamford. "We're going to go down and visit him and his family in the house and just go over some of the data points that we have. It's not my position or college baseball's position. We're just going to show him some of the facts."<<

>>"We do a better job of developing major leaguers than the minor leagues do," Penders said, referring to college baseball.<<

>>Penders points out that in the last three decades only four players from Connecticut have successfully bypassed college and reached the major leagues.<<

>>"I think 64 percent of major league baseball players have attended at least some college. Then you take the international free agents out of that mix. There's very few guys that make it out of high school.<<

Perfect approach...

Reaction Score
Perfect approach...

Agreed. I've seen this sort of article on Penders and his minors vs. college information before. This is hardly the first time he has presented this sort of information to recruits who have been drafted.

Reaction Score

With baseball there's even less consensus than other leagues. This is basically the best summary I've seen:

Kiley McDaniel: I’ve said this a bunch of times but concept of industry consensus rankings doesn’t apply to any one team. Some teams have multiple guys that went day one in the 5th round on their board. They have some guy that went 20th ranked 5th on their board, etc. With every board looking that different, taking the below slot option is more taking the cheap guy between three guys you can’t separate.

Basically you take your #2 and #5 guy instead of ending up with #1 and #50 when there's a small gap between 1 and 2

the Q

Reaction Score
With baseball there's even less consensus than other leagues. This is basically the best summary I've seen:

Kiley McDaniel: I’ve said this a bunch of times but concept of industry consensus rankings doesn’t apply to any one team. Some teams have multiple guys that went day one in the 5th round on their board. They have some guy that went 20th ranked 5th on their board, etc. With every board looking that different, taking the below slot option is more taking the cheap guy between three guys you can’t separate.

Basically you take your #2 and #5 guy instead of ending up with #1 and #50 when there's a small gap between 1 and 2

A lot of it also has to do with the credibility of the scouts in each region.

You have to be able to sell the Scouting Director and GM etc on your guys.

Reaction Score
A lot of it also has to do with the credibility of the scouts in each region.

You have to be able to sell the Scouting Director and GM etc on your guys.
Absolutely, that's a big factor. Another big one, particularly with northeast prospects is weather. If the weather and schedule don't line up, scouts may only get to see some of those guys once or twice which really skews a scouting report. I think it was Mike Trout who had a lot of bad weather his senior year and there were some teams who didn't see him much

the Q

Reaction Score
Absolutely, that's a big factor. Another big one, particularly with northeast prospects is weather. If the weather and schedule don't line up, scouts may only get to see some of those guys once or twice which really skews a scouting report. I think it was Mike Trout who had a lot of bad weather his senior year and there were some teams who didn't see him much

Plus guys Like Chris Lubanski burned teams in the past. It’s just really hard to evaluate northeast hs hitters because the conception is just abysmal compared to most southern states. My agency loved trout when we saw him in Minnesota (I think it was Minnesota).

Funny, I was taking to my old business partner, we liked a lot of guys who ended up sucking, but we were ahead of the game on guys too. Scouting is just really hard.

Reaction Score
My wife tells me that Mike Burrow's father will be a guest tonight on a sports talk show that will precede the Connecticut Tigers game tonight at 6pm on WICH-AM 1310 in Norwich.

Reaction Score
This has slots for the first ten rounds of the 2017 draft. An 11th round pick would be expected to get less than $131,300 with a $25,000 bonus.

2017 MLB Draft Slots And Bonus Pools
That link really does not give you anything of value. What is relavent is that rounds 11-40 can signed for up to 125k without factoring in to the allocated pool that a team has based on it's slot values of all of its guys in rounds 1-10.

Any money saved in the first 10 rounds can be used to sign a player in the later rounds for more than the 125k. That is if you saved 875k by signing your players for less than their slotted value in the first 10 rounds then you could sign one of your later rounds pick for a million.

I really don't think it matters in the end, Burrows will either want to come to UConn and develop or not. The Pirates are going to figure to give him a competitive offer either way.

Reaction Score
At Dodd Stadium tonight for CT Tigers opening game. Mike Burrows is here tonight, and on the radio talk show before the game. Says he will make a decision in the next week.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That link really does not give you anything of value. What is relavent is that rounds 11-40 can signed for up to 125k without factoring in to the allocated pool that a team has based on it's slot values of all of its guys in rounds 1-10.

Any money saved in the first 10 rounds can be used to sign a player in the later rounds for more than the 125k. That is if you saved 875k by signing your players for less than their slotted value in the first 10 rounds then you could sign one of your later rounds pick for a million.

I really don't think it matters in the end, Burrows will either want to come to UConn and develop or not. The Pirates are going to figure to give him a competitive offer either way.
The information in that link is that they signed their 1st round pick for under slot and saved more money. That's what was being referenced

Reaction Score
The information in that link is that they signed their 1st round pick for under slot and saved more money. That's what was being referenced
That's a different post, they link is last year's slots . That is why it says 2017. The Swaggerty link is not in that post.

Reaction Score
That's a different post, they link is last year's slots . That is why it says 2017. The Swaggerty link is not in that post.
Ah my bad, have that poster on ignore so didn't see the post you quoted

Reaction Score
Yes it's last years slots, they are very close to this year's slots which I couldn't find. But as a reference, they're close.

Reaction Score

Thanks.

So the 11th round would start below $136,800 this year versus $131,300 last year. That means an 11th rounder like Burrows is still unlikely to approach $350,000, let alone $500,000 or $600,000.

Obviously more than money will play into his decision. But it's unlikely that it will be the deciding factor. Would love to see him suit up for the Huskies and it would probably work to his advantage in the long run.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom