UConn in the 2018 MLB Draft | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn in the 2018 MLB Draft

Reaction Score
Yankees drafted 4 catchers ahead of PW.

Which makes me believe Winkel was always going to UConn. The Yankees were the one team who would be able to lure him away from UConn if they’d taken him early in the draft. Glad to see he was drafted, can’t wait to see him in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Not THAT unheralded - he did have a couple ACC offers (Pitt and VT). :p
Wow, didn't know that. Only ever gone off his PG, which makes him look like a solid regional recruit, but nothing more. I've always held Susi up in my head as the prime example of Penders' ability to develop talent. Don't burst that bubble for me!

Reaction Score
Wow, didn't know that. Only ever gone off his PG, which makes him look like a solid regional recruit, but nothing more. I've always held Susi up in my head as the prime example of Penders' ability to develop talent. Don't burst that bubble for me!

It's hardly bursting a bubble. Susi was well regarded out of high school but it wasn't as if he was drafted at the time. Susi has gotten better each year at UConn. Now he is a 12th rounder. That's development.

Reaction Score
It’s not looking good for Toppa and the seniors. Round 37 just ended. I was really hoping Troy got a call. He’s a solid baseball player and a great kid from a great family.

Reaction Score
Geez, Poulin pitched 6 strong innings on a full 7 days rest since his last appearance which was a 1 inning stint in the AAC championship game. That is less stress on a pitchers arm than multiple relief appearances throughout a weekend. I could agree with his beef if Poulin has an appearance in the first 2 games. There was no rush to get warm in the bullpen or any of the other variable that a relief pitcher has to deal with. Penders was incredibly cautious with Cate throughout the season as he understands the $$ implications.

As for Kay, I don't see how starting pitcher is "abused" when he basically starts 1 game per week for the duration of the season. Kay has 17 appearances and they were all starts...no forced relief appearances. An average of 7 innings pitched per start. His last game was the winners bracket game against Florida and he was pulled after 5 2/3 innings and 102 pitches. Abuse is leaving your best pitcher in for 120+ pitches is the most important game of the season. Penders did not do that. I guess pitching Kay on 3 days rest in the AAC tourney is the blemish that Law is focusing on. That is a tough decision and a limited amount of information for Law to make such a sweeping generalization.
That and him throwing 115+ pitches in an 18-1 game are the big knocks. I don't think either is egregious on it's own, but as a whole he has a point

Reaction Score
No slot money after round 10 so it depends on path and feedback. Burrows would benefit from 3 year of college development...
I suspect Burrows is gone. Pittsburgh went college-heavy in rounds 1-10 and those typically save you slot money. Teams do this with the intention of using the saved money from those signings to overpay HS kids who dropped from rounds 11-40. The fact they took him round 11 makes me think they're gonna throw a lot of money at him

Reaction Score
Amore: MLB Draft: UConn's P.J. Poulin, Zac Susi Picked On Day 3, Waterford's Michael Burrows, Amity's Patrick Winkel Have College, Pro Options

>>“I’m going to talk to everyone,” Burrows said, “hear out coach [Jim] Penders, get all the advice and then make the decision that works best for me.”<<

>>Several teams called Burrows on Tuesday, looking to draft him in the fifth round. The “slot value” for signing bonuses for picks in that round is about $350,000. That probably wouldn’t have kept him from going to UConn. But as teams continued to draft college players, with less leverage, and can save money in their draft pool to offer more to high school prospects, the Pirates called Burrows Wednesday with a ballpark offer that did interest him. And they chose him with the 324th pick.<<

Reaction Score
From the New London Day:

Waterford's Burrows drafted by Pirates in 11th round

>>Burrows, 18, will sit down with his parents, Tom and Kristen, and sort out both options during still-to-be scheduled meetings with scout Eddie Charles, Pittsburgh's Northeast Supervisor, and UConn head coach Jim Penders. He accepted congratulations from both on Wednesday.

"We're just going to see how these two meetings go," Burrows said. "I know one is going to be mad and I realize I can't please both. I also think they're going to be happy for me either way because they're both good people."<<

Reaction Score

“At the beginning of the week, I talked to Pat’s mom and she said that he had decided to bypass the pros if he was chosen and go to UConn as he’d planned.

Today, Wednesday, June 6, The New York Yankees picked Patrick Winkel (C) Amity High School, in the draft.

Pat will play for the UConn Huskies and continue his education as planned.”

Reaction Score
One of the bigger prospect guys who follows the MLB Draft on the Pirates draft. Let's hope it's not Burrows

Kiley McDaniel: Fits what their types have been in recent years. Toolsy hitter with exit velo in Swaggerty. Projection arms that meet all the projection criteria in Ashcraft and Hoglund. Big SS in Kaiser, like Mercer and Cole Tucker. I think they’ll have enough to make a run at someone after the 10th

Reaction Score
This New London Day article about the UConn coaches roadshow has Coach Penders talking about Mike Burrows getting drafted.

UConn Coaches Road Show brings out passionate fans, starts new tradition

>>Penders is thrilled for Waterford pitcher Mike Burrows who was drafted in the 11th round of the Major League Baseball amateur draft by the Pittsburgh Pirates. Burrows, who committed to UConn, has a decision to make about his future.

"We had a quick conversation via text yesterday and just congratulating him on the phone," Penders said. "How many kids get an opportunity to hear their name called in the draft? I'm just very happy for him. He's going to have a choice."<<

Reaction Score
This New London Day article about the UConn coaches roadshow has Coach Penders talking about Mike Burrows getting drafted.

UConn Coaches Road Show brings out passionate fans, starts new tradition

>>Penders is thrilled for Waterford pitcher Mike Burrows who was drafted in the 11th round of the Major League Baseball amateur draft by the Pittsburgh Pirates. Burrows, who committed to UConn, has a decision to make about his future.

"We had a quick conversation via text yesterday and just congratulating him on the phone," Penders said. "How many kids get an opportunity to hear their name called in the draft? I'm just very happy for him. He's going to have a choice."<<
That's the right attitude to have. Selfishly it would be nice if he spent three years in Storrs , but we will be fine either way. We had the same situation with Marvin Gorgas a few years ago and we have done fine without him. It's a good problem to have recruits that are taken enough to have the opportunity to go pro right out of high school.

Reaction Score
That's the right attitude to have. Selfishly it would be nice if he spent three years in Storrs , but we will be fine either way. We had the same situation with Marvin Gorgas a few years ago and we have done fine without him. It's a good problem to have recruits that are taken enough to have the opportunity to go pro right out of high school.

You literally took the words right out of my mouth. There have been a few others that went pro instead of ending up in Storrs. Tom Milone was another one. I was going to write something similar in the event that Mike Burrows decides to go pro, right down to the idea that it is good for the program to have recruits decide to go pro. It tells me that the coaching staff is recruiting some very talented players. Some make it to UConn and a few go pro instead.

Reaction Score
More from the New London Day and Coach Penders upcoming meeting with the Burrows family:

UConn's Penders ready to make his pitch to Burrows

>>"It's great to have choices in life," Penders said on Thursday night at the UConn Huskies Coaches Road Show in Stamford. "We're going to go down and visit him and his family in the house and just go over some of the data points that we have. It's not my position or college baseball's position. We're just going to show him some of the facts."<<

>>"We do a better job of developing major leaguers than the minor leagues do," Penders said, referring to college baseball.<<

>>Penders points out that in the last three decades only four players from Connecticut have successfully bypassed college and reached the major leagues.<<

>>"I think 64 percent of major league baseball players have attended at least some college. Then you take the international free agents out of that mix. There's very few guys that make it out of high school.<<

Last edited:

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Heard a rumor that Pittsburg is going to Offer Burrows between 500,000 and 600,000.

Reaction Score
Heard a rumor that Pittsburg is going to Offer Burrows between 500,000 and 600,000.
I’d be very surprised if it is close to this. Their pool is $10.4M. Unless they’re getting some phenomenal deals on the front end of their draft, that’s a large portion of their pool to cough up for a 11th rounder. Considering their was discussions about him in the 5th where the slot was $350,000, I doubt the Pirates are willing to stray too far from that number as that’s probably the number they’re comfortable with.

If I were to guess, that is the number Burrows would want to sign.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom