UConn in the 2018 MLB Draft | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn in the 2018 MLB Draft

Reaction Score
Anyone know where Tim Cate has been assigned? He's not shown up on any of the Nat's MiLB team rosters. I love following these guys. Still pulling for LJ Mazz to get to the bigs but I have no idea why the Yanks traded for him with rookie phenom Torres ahead of him at 2B.

And Ruotolo has been lights out in AA for the SF Giants affiliate.

Reaction Score
Anyone know where Tim Cate has been assigned? He's not shown up on any of the Nat's MiLB team rosters. I love following these guys. Still pulling for LJ Mazz to get to the bigs but I have no idea why the Yanks traded for him with rookie phenom Torres ahead of him at 2B.

And Ruotolo has been lights out in AA for the SF Giants affiliate.
He’s starting the first few week in the GCL to get used to the MLB rotation schedule and will be sent to Auburn after

Reaction Score
He’s starting the first few week in the GCL to get used to the MLB rotation schedule and will be sent to Auburn after
Thanks. I also see Tyler Olander has been moved up out of the GCL to the Jays rookie affiliate Bluefield Blue Jays.

Reaction Score
Thanks. I also see Tyler Olander has been moved up out of the GCL to the Jays rookie affiliate Bluefield Blue Jays.

Tyler Olander was at Bluefield last summer as well. Had an ERA of 8.14 last season, which isn't going to get you moving up the minor league ladder too quickly. He's going to be 26 years old in July, which will probably make him one of the older players in the Appalachian League.

Reaction Score
Thanks.

So the 11th round would start below $136,800 this year versus $131,300 last year. That means an 11th rounder like Burrows is still unlikely to approach $350,000, let alone $500,000 or $600,000.

Obviously more than money will play into his decision. But it's unlikely that it will be the deciding factor. Would love to see him suit up for the Huskies and it would probably work to his advantage in the long run.
I was looking at the Pirates picks last night, they have a HS kids in their Competitive Balance Pick and 2nd round pick, and the Vanderbilt SS in the the 3rd round. How these picks go compared to slot will tell a lot on how much money bonus money will be available to sign Burrows.

Reaction Score
I've been away for the last several days visiting relatives out of state. I was half expecting that the status of Mike Burrows would be resolved by the time I returned home. Does anyone have any new information on his choice on where he might be playing baseball in the near future?

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I've been away for the last several days visiting relatives out of state. I was half expecting that the status of Mike Burrows would be resolved by the time I returned home. Does anyone have any new information on his choice on where he might be playing baseball in the near future?

No new news :(

Reaction Score
No inside information on Burrows, but have been watching the Pirate signings, I believe they are $90 over slot based on the 8 players they have signed, I think alot depends on what happens with there Competive Balance Pick a High School pitcher from Florida. If they go over slot to sign him they may not have the cash available to sign Burrows $350 k.

Reaction Score
I've been checking Pirates prospects blogs every day. Unfortunately the best one is a subscription and I don't care THAT much about finding out right away

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
No inside information on Burrows, but have been watching the Pirate signings, I believe they are $90 over slot based on the 8 players they have signed, I think alot depends on what happens with there Competive Balance Pick a High School pitcher from Florida. If they go over slot to sign him they may not have the cash available to sign Burrows $350 k.

Hoglund is reportedly attending his college orientation.

Reaction Score
Hoglund is reportedly attending his college orientation.
If Hoglund doesn’t sign then the Pirates loose his slot money that would bo ok for us, but best case scenario is they go over slot by say $300 k, which would make it difficult to sign Burrows.

Reaction Score
If Hoglund doesn’t sign then the Pirates loose his slot money that would bo ok for us, but best case scenario is they go over slot by say $300 k, which would make it difficult to sign Burrows.
No change in the Pirates signings, has anyone herd anything from the Burrows family ? I believe the last day to sign is July 6th.

Reaction Score
No change in the Pirates signings, has anyone herd anything from the Burrows family ? I believe the last day to sign is July 6th.

I'm surprised the signing date is so early, as it used to be no earlier than mid July in recent years. But July 6th it is.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised the signing date is so early, as it used to be no earlier than mid July in recent years. But July 6th it is.
MlB moved the signing date up a few years so players can sign and play more there first summer.

Reaction Score
MlB moved the signing date up a few years so players can sign and play more there first summer.

The earlier deadline is probably better for the colleges as well. Better to know earlier which players are going pro and will not be coming to school in the fall.

Reaction Score
Oh well, but I don't think it is is a big surprise to anyone at this point that Mike Burrows is going pro. I had heard vague rumblings ever since Mike Burrows was at Dodd Stadium for CT Tiger opening day that he was going to sign with the Pirates, but nothing solid enough that was really worth posting. Signing with UConn was barely getting mentioned in the equation. At any rate, best of luck to the new Pirate.

Still think UConn can have an NCAA tourney caliber team next season with the returning players, plus a recruiting class that includes another Winkel and another Fedko, Jake Sanderson, Will Lucas, among others. The cupboard of talent is hardly bare in Storrs. Still, after this decision, it will be interesting to see if another JUCO pitcher from California surfaces in Storrs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is no obvious choice for the final weekend starter position or who a 4th would be if there is another short term injury. If someone emerges or a new JUCO comes in I agree. If not, mason and chase will have to be near perfect for this team to realistically make the tournament again.

Especially with what was already a shaky bullpen with Poulin

Reaction Score
There is no obvious choice for the final weekend starter position or who a 4th would be if there is another short term injury. If someone emerges or a new JUCO comes in I agree. If not, mason and chase will have to be near perfect for this team to realistically make the tournament again.

Especially with what was already a shaky bullpen with Poulin

Tim Cate was pretty much a non factor as a weekend starter for most of this past season. For the AAC conference games UConn had a weekend rotation of Feole, Gardner, and Kersten, and with this trio the Huskies were in the running to be one of the 16 NCAA regional host seeds. If a returning pitcher such as Colby Dunlop shows some improvement, or if a newcomer such as Jake Sanderson emerges, UConn's starting pitching should be in good shape. At any rate I would not be so quick to give up on the idea that UConn will have an NCAA caliber team next season.

Personally, I'm a bit more concerned with who might be in the outfield with John Toppa next season than I am with the pitching. All of the UConn outfielders playing in summer ball so far are having a less than stellar time at the bat so far(Chris Winkel is seeing most of his playing time at 1B). While I love Mike Woodworth's defense at 2B, it would not surprise me if he ends up in center field next February, which would help allow freshman Kyler Fedko and/or JUCO transfer David Langer to get a shot at starting spots in the infield.

Reaction Score
From the New London Day:

Mike Burrows signs with Pirates

>>"When it came right down to it, it was me just wanting to play," Burrows said in a phone conversation Tuesday night. "I want to do it right now. I don't want to wait."

The 6-foot-2, 184-pound right-handed pitcher spoke with a number of players who were drafted in 2017, including Matt Tabor of Milton, Mass., an AAU teammate with Northeast Baseball who was drafted in the third round by the Arizona Diamondbacks last year out of Milton Academy and signed immediately.

"Matt really pushed me in that direction," Burrows said. "He told me it was important, especially for pitchers and their development, to go to pro ball right away if you get the opportunity, and the situation was right."<<

Reaction Score
Heard a rumor that Pittsburg is going to Offer Burrows between 500,000 and 600,000.
Considering their was discussions about him in the 5th where the slot was $350,000, I doubt the Pirates are willing to stray too far from that number as that’s probably the number they’re comfortable with.
So the 11th round would start below $136,800 this year versus $131,300 last year. That means an 11th rounder like Burrows is still unlikely to approach $350,000, let alone $500,000 or $600,000.
From the New London Day:
Mike Burrows signs with Pirates
>>Burrows said the Pirates made it easier, too, by offering him a $500,000 signing bonus, plus another $140,000 to continue his education.<<

Looks like you win the $$ signing pool @Wordbomar.
443EB845-F436-471B-87D4-B0A26653C26E.jpeg

Keep it safe and shiny.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
>>Burrows said the Pirates made it easier, too, by offering him a $500,000 signing bonus, plus another $140,000 to continue his education.<<

Looks like you win the $$ signing pool @Wordbomar.
View attachment 32672
Keep it safe and shiny.
The Pirates paid him like a 4th round pick, it comes down to a personal choice, we should all wish him well but UConn will be fine, players will step up and continue to develop, this is a team with a competive 35 man roster as dbmill has chronicled that continues to bring in quality talent and a new stadium on the horizon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom