UConn in the 2018 MLB Draft | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn in the 2018 MLB Draft

Reaction Score
I was having the same thought as well as I saw the draft getting into the 9th and 10th rounds. From following the MLB draft the last several years, you can tell that major league teams don't generally waste a valuable pick on a high school player who they have the idea is going to college. The same thing with a college Junior that they think will just stay in school for another year. The player may get picked later in the draft, but the likelihood of his playing college ball has the effect of depressing just how high the player gets drafted. It seems at this point things are looking better for both Winkel and Burrows actually going to UConn in the fall.
I always had a feeling Winkel was going to college. He was going to have to be a first day draft pick and be offered a significant signing bonus to get him to pass on college. It takes 5-10 years for draft picks to pan out. Personally, I think he is a kid that will get better in college. Defensively, he’s pretty much pro ready. He still has room to fill out physically and develop more power offensively. When the team that I heard was highest on him took another catcher, I think it solidified him as a Husky. I would not be surprised if he is the starting catcher next season (even if Susi returns). What he adds defensively can have a huge impact. I could see Susi filling the Designated Hitter role. I just don’t see Susi as a catcher at the pro level. Given his defensive limitation, he would have to be a guy that hits for average with a little pop. He can hit for average, but hasn’t shown that pop at the collegiate level.

Reaction Score
Burrows to the Pirates in the 11th round, 324th overall.

Reaction Score
And now Poulin to the Rockies also in the 11th

Edit: Will use this post instead to note Greenwich native J.T. Hintzen went in the 10th round as a senior out of D-II Florida Southern. Impressive, considering I faced him in high school and he really wasn't anything special, didn't even have an overpowering fastball like some of the other kids on those loaded Greenwich teams like Ryan Marks and Kyle Dunster.

Reaction Score
Susi in the 12th. 354 overall.

And now we're dropping like flies...

Have to think Winkel not being taken yet is a good thing. Teams are probably concerned about his signability.

Edit: also to the Pirates!

Reaction Score
What are the chances Burrows makes it to UConn?

No slot money after round 10 so it depends on path and feedback. Burrows would benefit from 3 year of college development...

Reaction Score
I was watching Keith Law from ESPN on Facebook live as PJ Poulin got drafted. He said that he was the kid that the UConn coaches abused last weekend. He went on to say that UConn has a terrible track record of abusing pitchers and mentioned pitching Anthony Kay too much and he blew out his elbow. He then said that UConn baseball twitter blocked him due to his criticism and he contacted the UConn athletic department about it.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I was watching Keith Law from ESPN on Facebook live as PJ Poulin got drafted. He said that he was the kid that the UConn coaches abused last weekend. He went on to say that UConn has a terrible track record of abusing pitchers and mentioned pitching Anthony Kay too much and he blew out his elbow. He then said that UConn baseball twitter blocked him due to his criticism and he contacted the UConn athletic department about it.

Everything that comes out of Keith Law's mouth is abusive to the term "journalism."

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Everything that comes out of Keith Law's mouth is abusive to the term "journalism."

He's a little abrasive. But he knows his stuff.

His prospect stuff is really good.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He's a little abrasive. But he knows his stuff.

His prospect stuff is really good.

One can find far better prospect coverage from people who don't use their platform to attack individual programs and act like immature young children in the process of doing so. Talk about someone who should've been among ESPN's layoffs.

Reaction Score

Geez, Poulin pitched 6 strong innings on a full 7 days rest since his last appearance which was a 1 inning stint in the AAC championship game. That is less stress on a pitchers arm than multiple relief appearances throughout a weekend. I could agree with his beef if Poulin has an appearance in the first 2 games. There was no rush to get warm in the bullpen or any of the other variable that a relief pitcher has to deal with. Penders was incredibly cautious with Cate throughout the season as he understands the $$ implications.

As for Kay, I don't see how starting pitcher is "abused" when he basically starts 1 game per week for the duration of the season. Kay has 17 appearances and they were all starts........no forced relief appearances. An average of 7 innings pitched per start. His last game was the winners bracket game against Florida and he was pulled after 5 2/3 innings and 102 pitches. Abuse is leaving your best pitcher in for 120+ pitches is the most important game of the season. Penders did not do that. I guess pitching Kay on 3 days rest in the AAC tourney is the blemish that Law is focusing on. That is a tough decision and a limited amount of information for Law to make such a sweeping generalization.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What are the chances Burrows makes it to UConn?

I have heard through the grapevine that the Burrows family had a dollar figure in mind, and that if he got that dollar figure he would go pro.

Dollar figures are available online for slot values through the end of the 10th round. I believe about $138,800 was the slot value for the end of the 10th round. Now I have no idea what the threshold dollar amount that the Burrows family is looking for, but $138,000 does not seem life changing. The real question is what does Burrows want, an immediate pro career, or is he willing to postpone it to play college ball. I do agree with @Baseballguy, going in the 11th round does make me worry the Pirates know something about how eager he is to go pro.

Reaction Score
It's a good sign for us that Winkel didn't go until round 31. I feel very good about the chances of him joining Chris next season.

Penders took Susi, an unheralded recruit who earned the starting nod as a freshman, and made him an 12th round pick. Should Winkel, the baseball equivalent of a 4-star prospect imo, have similar development, he could go in the top 3 rounds after his junior year. Here's hoping!

Reaction Score
After taxes, he’s looking at 80k. He buys himself a new car. Down to 60. Bucs would have to pay over-slot to entice him. Maybe they have deals in place with some high picks that are under-slot.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
It's a good sign for us that Winkel didn't go until round 31. I feel very good about the chances of him joining Chris next season.

Penders took Susi, an unheralded recruit who earned the starting nod as a freshman, and made him an 12th round pick. Should Winkel, the baseball equivalent of a 4-star prospect imo, have similar development, he could go in the top 3 rounds after his junior year. Here's hoping!

Not THAT unheralded - he did have a couple ACC offers (Pitt and VT). :p

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom