UConn in the 2018 MLB Draft | The Boneyard

UConn in the 2018 MLB Draft

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see what happens in the draft with Cate. Even coming into the season, there were questions from scouts about his long-term durability given his size and TJ surgery in HS. With the forearm injury this year and so much of the season lost, it could get interesting.

Coming in to the season, there was a 99.9% chance that this would be his last season in Storrs. It is still a 98% chance that he is gone, but it could be interesting. What if the injury concerns push him into the 3rd-4th round and the drafting team tries to give him 8th/10th round money given his injury (trying to get him on the cheap given the injury and to try to save money for some above-round money to get other high school players to sign). Would he think about using his leverage of having another college season to come back healthy and get back to the 1st round if his drafting team is playing games? Again, not likely, but it could be an option (ala what Mark Appel did a few years ago). I hope for Tim's sake he is a 2nd round pick and gets what he deserves, but we will see.

Reaction Score
So besides Cate, I know everyone expects Zusi to be gone. What about PJ and Toppa? Are they dead set on leaving? Only leaving if they get drafted higher than they expect? Who knows something?

Reaction Score
I go on the assumption that if a college Junior is taken in the MLB draft, they will most likely go pro. There are always exceptions such as LJ Mazzilli, but in most cases that is how it seems to work out.

In recent years UConn has consistently produced three picks in the MLB draft. This year is no different. Barring something strange happening, three UConn players (all Juniors) are sure to be drafted.

Tim Cate
Zac Susi
PJ Poulin

Here are some other possible UConn draft picks

Troy Stefanski – Kudos to @Baseballguy and others for beating the Troy Stefanski drum through his career prior to this season. Feel good story of the year, no one else comes close on this team. Center field at UConn was wide open at the beginning of the year. Troy Stefanski did not have this job locked down before the season opened, but he got the first shot at center field opening weekend, and he basically took over the spot when he came out of the gate hitting, and never stopped. There was never really any question about his defense. Before this season I thought it highly unlikely that Stefanski would be a MLB draft candidate. While he is not a sure thing, I would now be a bit surprised if he were not taken in the draft. When you hit like this and play a good center field, that’s what happens. All this by a guy who never got any athletic scholarship money in his four years playing baseball at UConn.

Isaac Feldstein – Will someone go for this streaky power hitter? I'm inclined to think he will get picked, but this one could go either way.

John Toppa – He had a solidly good and productive year for UConn, but I’m just not sure that will be enough to get drafted after his Junior year. He just hasn’t shown much power at UConn, and that has to hurt some. If Toppa is drafted I will be thrilled for him and the team. If Toppa is back at UConn next season I know he will bring back a very productive bat, and the Huskies will have one less outfield spot to fill next season.

Mike Woodworth – Man, do I like this guy now. This California JUCO really solidified the infield with his defensive play at 2B, and as the season progressed he became solidly productive on offense as well. I really don’t know if Woodworth will get selected in the draft, but of all the juniors on this team, I will miss him the most if he does go in the draft, probably because he has only been at UConn for one year.

Just remember, the MLB draft is always capable of providing a surprise. UConn’s Doug Domnarski from last year is the perfect example of this.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great analysis, dbmill.

To add on, we all know P. Winkel and Burrows are the commits we're all most excited for, and the commits most likely to be drafted. The only question remaining is in what round. I've heard 5-10 for Winkel, which would give him a very difficult decision.

Class of 2014 catcher Zach Risedorf from Northwestern Regional was a UConn commit taken in the 6th round (iirc) by the Padres and never came to campus. However, he's largely floundered in MiLB and I think may even be out of pro ball. Winkel is also a much better prospect than him, but also seems to be quite academically inclined and has the right attitude about potentially playing college ball with Chris. It could go either way, but gun to my head prediction has Winkel drafted between 10th-12th and coming to UConn to play with his brother.

Burrows from what I've read is more in the 10th-20th range, which could still go either way depending on if he gets an above-slot bonus. If it's one or the other, I'd want him over Winkel next year given the potential dominance he could bring to SP and that we've already got some good (though Winkel puts it over the top) catching depth. Burrows sits 91-93 and gets up to 96 according to the newspaper reports from the spring. He's got the build (6'2", probably close to 195-200 lbs) to develop further and remain durable. Him 1. getting to campus and 2. developing into a weekend SP is a key to not missing a beat next season.

I don't think any of the other high-level commits are in danger of being taken high enough to warrant serious concern. I'd say Fedko, Sanderson, and Lucas are the next tier of commits that could be contributors next season and the ones who harbor some late-round draft potential.

Reaction Score
Great analysis, dbmill.

To add on, we all know P. Winkel and Burrows are the commits we're all most excited for, and the commits most likely to be drafted. The only question remaining is in what round. I've heard 5-10 for Winkel, which would give him a very difficult decision.

Class of 2014 catcher Zach Risedorf from Northwestern Regional was a UConn commit taken in the 6th round (iirc) by the Padres and never came to campus. However, he's largely floundered in MiLB and I think may even be out of pro ball. Winkel is also a much better prospect than him, but also seems to be quite academically inclined and has the right attitude about potentially playing college ball with Chris. It could go either way, but gun to my head prediction has Winkel drafted between 10th-12th and coming to UConn to play with his brother.

Burrows from what I've read is more in the 10th-20th range, which could still go either way depending on if he gets an above-slot bonus. If it's one or the other, I'd want him over Winkel next year given the potential dominance he could bring to SP and that we've already got some good (though Winkel puts it over the top) catching depth. Burrows sits 91-93 and gets up to 96 according to the newspaper reports from the spring. He's got the build (6'2", probably close to 195-200 lbs) to develop further and remain durable. Him 1. getting to campus and 2. developing into a weekend SP is a key to not missing a beat next season.

I don't think any of the other high-level commits are in danger of being taken high enough to warrant serious concern. I'd say Fedko, Sanderson, and Lucas are the next tier of commits that could be contributors next season and the ones who harbor some late-round draft potential.

Think Risedorf is coaching 16U summer ball at TCB

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Anyone hear any buzz about that kid from U of Houston who hit every ball hard and long in the series in Hartford in May?
That kid could hit the ball

Reaction Score
Anyone hear any buzz about that kid from U of Houston who hit every ball hard and long in the series in Hartford in May?
He'll be drafted at some point, but probably not until late day 2 or day 3

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see what happens in the draft with Cate. Even coming into the season, there were questions from scouts about his long-term durability given his size and TJ surgery in HS. With the forearm injury this year and so much of the season lost, it could get interesting.

That is not the reason scouts fell out of love with him.

Reaction Score

Padgett? He's really good, but he's a bit undersized. Kind of prototypical kid who goes late, but makes a good run in pro ball. I love him.

Reaction Score
To me that’s a good thing for UConn. I think it’s a sure sign that Winkel will be a Husky!!!

I was having the same thought as well as I saw the draft getting into the 9th and 10th rounds. From following the MLB draft the last several years, you can tell that major league teams don't generally waste a valuable pick on a high school player who they have the idea is going to college. The same thing with a college Junior that they think will just stay in school for another year. The player may get picked later in the draft, but the likelihood of his playing college ball has the effect of depressing just how high the player gets drafted. It seems at this point things are looking better for both Winkel and Burrows actually going to UConn in the fall.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom