UCONN hockey program won't be complete until on-campus barn/team facility opens | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UCONN hockey program won't be complete until on-campus barn/team facility opens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There aren't any rumblings about UConn not building an arena, are there?
If not, I wouldn't stress about it. Especially if the HE is making them build one. If the HE is making them build one and they aren't, that means we are going to the B1G because the last thing we want to do is piss off the HE.
And no I'm not saying we're going to the B1G. I'm just saying I fully expect an arena on campus at some point soon once things get ironed out.

Reaction Score
If not, I wouldn't stress about it. Especially if the HE is making them build one. If the HE is making them build one and they aren't, that means we are going to the B1G because the last thing we want to do is piss off the HE.
And no I'm not saying we're going to the B1G. I'm just saying I fully expect an arena on campus at some point soon once things get ironed out.
The B1G would likely make us build an arena on campus too.

Reaction Score

Mansfield has already come out against the proposed site of the new UConn hockey arena at the corner of Rte 195 and S Eagleville Rd where Mansfield Apartments are today. Tish is the preferred site according to the most recent UConn master plan. I have not seen any updates since. Mansfield opposition has been noted on the town meeting minutes in January, February and March of 2015.

From the February minutes: "A suggestion by Mr. Kochenburger to add a note to the Multipurpose/Hockey Arena section indicating that committee objections to the Rte. 195/South Eagleville location were unanimous
was also accepted as..."

http://www.mansfieldct.gov/filestorage/1904/5335/1912/20150126_minutes.pdf

Only odd point was that it was called a multipurpose/hockey arena?

Reaction Score
Well, I wouldn't call Disney on Ice or Marvel Avengers ~ hockey?

My question was that it has been the first time I have seen the rumored new UConn facility referred to as a 'multipurpose' facility and not just a hockey arena.

Reaction Score
My question was that it has been the first time I have seen the rumored new UConn facility referred to as a 'multipurpose' facility and not just a hockey arena.
Well, it may be thought of theoretically as a "multipurpose arena" but the clear #1 tenant would be the hockey program. They'd probably build it so it could be used for smaller arena shows in the offseason or something, that wouldn't fill XL/Mohegan Sun.

Reaction Score

I was kidding...

Reaction Score
First thought that came to my mind was volleyball or possibly gymnastics. But volleyball is a fall sport and that would possibly conflict with hockey season.

Reaction Score
Ultimately though is UConn going to NOT build an arena if Mansfield is objecting to whatever UConn suggests? I'll assume at some point UConn tells Mansfield to pound sand - if it's possible for them to do it as some suggest.

Bottom line is there will be an arena built on campus somehow, some way.

Reaction Score

In addition to hosting the Husky ice hockey teams, the current UConn ice rink also has things like public/student ice skating sessions and has probably has other groups (figure skating, for example) that use the ice. I suppose in that way it is a multipurpose arena.

Reaction Score
XL news, PAWSARF info, UConn and Spectra lease, NFL spring minor league football?.
Lots of different stuff.

http://crdact.net/data/Unsorted/9-17-15-DRAFTBoardMtgMinutes-73138-1.pdf

"XL Center – Arena Study

page4image1248

Kim Hart gave a brief report regarding the XL Center. CRDA received a concept plan from SCI Architects and it is currently with the construction cost estimator reviewing the $250 million estimate to bring the building into the 21st Century.

CRDA is also working with SCI to develop a schedule regarding how the building can be kept open for appropriate sports seasons while getting the work done as quickly as possible. Once funding is in place, dates can be coordinated with the pending schedule.

Rentschler Field

Based on the first 2 events, Rentschler Field is tracking below budget and attendance is below forecast. Per capita has increased slightly.

Other Venue items

Bond Commission requests are to wrap up work at Rentschler Field and XL Center. It also includes getting work started at Tennis Center for next year.

UConn lease - Anthony Lazzaro brought the Board up to date on the three year lease with Global Spectrum and UConn. UConn has agreed to the terms and the lease should be finalized next week.

David Jorgensen informed the Board of information he learned of regarding the possibility of a Spring NFL minor league that is being discussed. David suggested utilizing Rentschler Field should such an idea become a reality. More information on the topic will be discussed as additional information is made available.

The CT Fastrak trial run to UConn football games was successful".

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
In my dream fantasy world somewhere B1G gives UConn an offer for membership conditional on the state carving out UConn/Storrs from Mansfield and letting the University do whatever they want in that area. Herbst knows what she's doing but it's damn near impossible to make progress with these people opposing every single addition to the area.

Reaction Score
In my dream fantasy world somewhere B1G gives UConn an offer for membership conditional on the state carving out UConn/Storrs from Mansfield and letting the University do whatever they want in that area. Herbst knows what she's doing but it's damn near impossible to make progress with these people opposing every single addition to the area.

They already have that capacity. I think the people of Mansfield are going to wake up sometime in the next year & see that the University approves massive amount of development on campus. It's coming. They went 30 years without using it. The other thing that is a mitigating factor is that ONLY the University has certainty on water & sewer.

Reaction Score
They already have that capacity. I think the people of Mansfield are going to wake up sometime in the next year & see that the University approves massive amount of development on campus. It's coming. They went 30 years without using it. The other thing that is a mitigating factor is that ONLY the University has certainty on water & sewer.

I believe that UConn has taken care of its foreseeable water needs by connecting the campus to a regional water authority, ConnecticutWater, so that they are less reliant on the Willimantic River. I believe that this was approved in 2013 and looks to be near completion.

https://www.ctwater.com/en/Current Projects/PP - UCONN.aspx

Reaction Score
The issue is not what UCONN does on university land. Sure, they can ignore the cries. The issue is that private investment is not going to follow, which will ultimately limit the university.

Reaction Score
Of the XL atmosphere, Cavanaugh said, "That's what I dreamed it would be. I didn't really actually think it was going to be that good. I heard —- we went to our [national coaches] convention —- almost unanimously, from almost every team that played at the XL Center, 'I can't believe the atmosphere and energy you had in that building.' It's a credit to our fan base and our marketing department and everybody who works to sell tickets."

"It's hard to describe, just unbelievable," senior alternate captain Shawn Pauly said. "The fans all came out to support us and it was just a tremendous atmosphere. It definitely helped us a lot and I'm looking forward to our home opener and all the games we have there this year."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...rst-night-scheduling-1015-20151014-story.html

Reaction Score
Posted this elsewhere; but, its a valid concern here, also.

http://www.courant.com/community/hartford/hc-hartford-dillon-deller-1015-20151014-story.html

Hartford has royally messed things-up with the proposed Dillon Stadium upgrade and now the police are invovled.

http://www.courant.com/real-estate/...uts-stadium-cost-overruns-20151005-story.html

The new baseballs stadium is already running over budget and its not even 1/3 complete.

Both of these projects are going to cost far less than it will to fully renovate the XL center or replace it. Does anyone have any doubt that once a decision is made, the city will turn it into a debacle and Hartford will demand that UConn clean-up their mess by moving more and more games to the new XL? Why should UConn be responsible Hartford's inability to keep shooting itself in the foot. Going forward, if it is in UConn's best interest to play basketball and hockey games at the new XL in terms of exposure and revenue, then UConn should. If not, then UConn should be given the ability to build their own on campus, 12K seat dual purpose arena.

Reaction Score
I don't remember coach cav praising the atmosphere, energy and crowd at frietas the other day. He said it was a nice crowd for a exhibition(1,158) and should help the players feel welcome. I was there and drove from Hartford area. I didn't see that many students on a Saturday game on campus for FREE. Mainly adults.

Let clear up some things:Th Xl is owned and operated by the STATE OF CONNECTICUT, NOT HARTFORD. Through the state run agency of the capital region development authority or CRDA. Hartford politicians, city council, city government will NOT be involved with the funding of renovations. It will be bonded by the ct bonding commission. It's a state building and project, not Hartfords

How can you compare a felon businessman saying he would provide private $ and save the city 11 million by having his company build the stadium to a company Stadium Consultants International (SCI) that just renovated Madison Square Garden?

2 different animals. Stop bashing Hartford just because you hate Uconn playing in Hartford.

I now have ST to Uconn football, soccer, bball, and hockey and I NEVER been to a Uconn event ever prior to the Uconn vs BC game at XL. Playing in the Greater Hartford area will help Uconn in many ways. Potentially get into B1G and have access to new nutmeg tournament or a HE/ NCAA regional or frozen four. Huge bball tournament. The Xl needs to be upgraded and Uconn can reap the benefits of it.

It's ALL about revenue and a renovated XL could provide that needed revenue streams. Those revenue streams will and could provide the funding for on-campus upgrades.

You can't just rely on alumni and current students to support the athletic teams. I know it cliche, but it's the university of Connecticut not the university of storrs. Until we get the whalers back, uconn is all we got for in-state sports. I'm sick of giving my $ to NY AND MA.

Don't attack me because I didn't go to uconn and I like them playing downtown. It just the reality of the situation and you should embrace the potential upgrade.

Reaction Score
If UConn relied solely on it's alumni and current students I don't think any program outside of basketball would be able to survive.

CT06111 hits the nail on the head as well. CRDA (along with SCI) is in charge of the XLC retrofit not the city so Conehead's concerns are moot.

Reaction Score
If UConn relied solely on it's alumni and current students I don't think any program outside of basketball would be able to survive.

CT06111 hits the nail on the head as well. CRDA (along with SCI) is in charge of the XLC retrofit not the city so Conehead's concerns are moot.
There would be no UConn basketball without Hartford. The Big East would have never settled on UConn if they played all of their games at the field house. We'd be URI 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom