UCONN hockey program won't be complete until on-campus barn/team facility opens | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UCONN hockey program won't be complete until on-campus barn/team facility opens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Odd, never heard the same about Penn State athletics which face the same if not more challenges than Storrs does (100k football venue, 15k basketball arena, etc) and the same for towns like Blacksburg, Charlottesville, Chapel Hill, Bloomington, Iowa City, Tuscaloosa, College Station, etc. Those towns have all grown with their universities, not chased them away.

Key line there is "those towns have grown with their universities". This is the larger issue. Storrs can never be any of those locations due to the town not growing with the school.

You need some games in Hartford to keep the casual fan more interested in the program. The bulk of the state views going to Storrs as a pain in the butt.

Reaction Score
Odd, never heard the same about Penn State athletics which face the same if not more challenges than Storrs does (100k football venue, 15k basketball arena, etc) and the same for towns like Blacksburg, Charlottesville, Chapel Hill, Bloomington, Iowa City, Tuscaloosa, College Station, etc. Those towns have all grown with their universities, not chased them away.

Key line there is "those towns have grown with their universities". This is the larger issue. Storrs can never be any of those locations due to the town not growing with the school.

You need some games in Hartford to keep the casual fan more interested in the program. The bulk of the state views going to Storrs as a pain in the butt.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Having spent 40 years living in every part of the state I'm curious how one creatively gets to Storrs. Is there a Tron like portal I don't know about?

Reaction Score

I have no problem with some games, especially when the students are not on campus during winter break, in Hartford and even a marquis game during the school year in NYC to drum up national TV (basketball primarily); but, no way should the XL be looked at as UConn hockey's (nor basketball's) primary venue. College sports should be played at a college as its a key part of student life at a major university such as UConn (or any other D1 school). Off-hand, I would no more than 25% of 'home' games should be off campus in Hartford or elsewhere.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with some games, especially when the students are not on campus during winter break, in Hartford and even a marquis game during the school year in NYC to drum up national TV (basketball primarily); but, no way should the XL be looked at as UConn hockey's (nor basketball's) primary venue. College sports should be played at a college as its a key part of student life at a major university such as UConn (or any other D1 school). Off-hand, I would no more than 25% of 'home' games should be off campus in Hartford or elsewhere.

I can agree with the 25% number. But utilize the XL for maybe 5 games that you know will have the states attention (BC/BU/ND/etc..)

Reaction Score
Having spent 40 years living in every part of the state I'm curious how one creatively gets to Storrs. Is there a Tron like portal I don't know about?
Depends on point of origination, but never 84 E or W to 195. Not too creative with a map or GPS.

Reaction Score
I can agree with the 25% number. But utilize the XL for maybe 5 games that you know will have the states attention (BC/BU/ND/etc..)
Winter/Thanksgiving break games and a big game in Hartford with the rest on campus would be a decent setup. So long as UConn gets some priority in scheduling those games and they're not Wednesday at 5:00 or some crap like that. If they're playing BC in Hartford, that game has to be 7:00 on a Friday or Saturday, not a Wednesday. It's better for the players and it's better for the fans.

Reaction Score
from the west 384 to 44 or 31 to 44; from the east 32, 74 or 320; the real creativity begins once you are nearer campus
Alumni association perspectives may have you all confused, including west and east direction. ;) Except for bad weather conditions, 2 time savers or traffic avoidance routes include 384 eastbound to 44 to 31 to 275 to back entry via Stadium Road, and 84 westbound to 320 to 74 (briefly) to back roads in Willington or whatever towns they are to 195 next to Four Corners on to campus. Don't recall the roads, but there's also a route which follows back roads, crosses over 195 and then 44, and gets to campus via Hunting Lodge Road and North Eagleville Road.

Reaction Score
Predictably the responses here for the Storrs diehards ignored the fact that the overwhelming majority of UConn alumni, who are at least if not more important to the sports programs than the current students, live in the Hartford area. The fact is that this university is an expense (and asset!) to ALL of the state and not the tiny but vocal minority in the Storrs area who want everything UConn does to be crammed into this tiny and inaccessible part of the state. Step outside of the bubble of the hardcore UConn fan and you will find that the overwhelming popular opinion of people who actually attend UConn hockey games is not to let the program become a distant third priority in an undersized facility on the Storrs Campus. Those people are all taxpayers who have a say and the governor's ear. And I'm sorry if people choose to stop reading when I point out that Hartford is now a UConn campus and the state is more and more interested in shifting more of the University that way, but it's a reality. The provincial attitude is on its way out and I'd be sad to see the potential of this hockey program wasted while we deny that inevitability.

Reaction Score
Yes! The hockey program will be wasted away if it stays on campus, just like all of the other hockey, football, and basketball programs that have wallowed in misery because they stayed on campus in rural and absolutely inaccessible parts of their respective states..

Reaction Score
Predictably the responses here for the Storrs diehards ignored the fact that the overwhelming majority of UConn alumni, who are at least if not more important to the sports programs than the current students, live in the Hartford area. The fact is that this university is an expense (and asset!) to ALL of the state and not the tiny but vocal minority in the Storrs area who want everything UConn does to be crammed into this tiny and inaccessible part of the state. Step outside of the bubble of the hardcore UConn fan and you will find that the overwhelming popular opinion of people who actually attend UConn hockey games is not to let the program become a distant third priority in an undersized facility on the Storrs Campus. Those people are all taxpayers who have a say and the governor's ear. And I'm sorry if people choose to stop reading when I point out that Hartford is now a UConn campus and the state is more and more interested in shifting more of the University that way, but it's a reality. The provincial attitude is on its way out and I'd be sad to see the potential of this hockey program wasted while we deny that inevitability.
Another "UCONN Fan" who ONLY wants to see games in Hartford. You guys should start your own website. Last I knew students were supposed to be part of college sports...they do foot a fair amount of the bill for most athletic departments with their student activities subsidy. And before you say they will lose $ because of student ticket prices...remember this UCONN pays a pretty steep price per game to play at the XL Center, the games at a on-campus arena will cost them MUCH less...and if there are no bonds to pay off become all profit after operating costs. I also would love to hear your take on basketball attendance...since both the men and women fill Gampel...and there is no shortage of Alumni coming to campus for those games! And just so you know I have season tickets to football AND hockey...live in Westchester County and would get screwed pretty bad by them moving games to campus.

Reaction Score
Yes! The hockey program will be wasted away if it stays on campus, just like all of the other hockey, football, and basketball programs that have wallowed in misery because they stayed on campus in rural and absolutely inaccessible parts of their respective states..
Don't bother with him Brassbonanza...there are a few on this board who seem to think that the ONLY solution for UCONN is to play in the XL Center. I want to see what they have to say if HE ever called UCONN on not coming up with solid on-campus arena plans and told them they violated the terms of their HE membership and it was being terminated.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
bleedgreen said:

The whalers are dead and they're never coming back. Deal with it.

College sports on college campuses.

Reaction Score

The long game for CT taxpayers is a vibrant state university keeping and attracting the best minds in the northeast. Not generating a modest amount of secondary business for it's capital city. So let's no pretend like we are the ones who are lost in the trees.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
Any update on the status of the Arena? Did the locals form a coalition against it's construction?

I swear if they stick the team in XL for good I'll freak out

Reaction Score
Hartford is not off-campus. Planning for attendance to decrease is planning for failure and ridiculous. Storrs was never meant to be home to the amount of activity these athletics programs generate, and the writing is clearly on the wall to begin expanding UConn's presence, all on fronts, in Hartford. It makes sense and it is the best option for everyone except for a minority who enjoys Storrs being it's own little petty fiefdom.

I get that for some people Storrs is a comfortable location, but for most of the state it's a long backroad drive at night through the middle of nowhere. It's silly to cram two, nevermind three, programs which are attracting support and interest comparable to a professional team into that little town.

This is blatantly refuted by a NATIONAL movement that is building development on the edge of Campuses nationally. Not having a second campus in Hartford. And, that Storrs location happens to have 3000+ acres and is solving its water/sewer issues. Hartford is what it always was ... not much going on 24/7 in a decent sized city. Unlike New Haven, Providence and others, Hartford is not climbing.

I see Storrs building as a Collegetown far easier than redeveloping a blighted urban center. As far as Hockey, I like that UConn reaches out to the rest of the state by being 45 minutes west. Not more than half the games however.

Reaction Score
This is blatantly refuted by a NATIONAL movement that is building development on the edge of Campuses nationally. Not having a second campus in Hartford. And, that Storrs location happens to have 3000+ acres and is solving its water/sewer issues. Hartford is what it always was ... not much going on 24/7 in a decent sized city. Unlike New Haven, Providence and others, Hartford is not climbing.

I see Storrs building as a Collegetown far easier than redeveloping a blighted urban center. As far as Hockey, I like that UConn reaches out to the rest of the state by being 45 minutes west. Not more than half the games however.

All sorts of challenges to making Storrs anything more than a cow town.

http://dailycampus.com/stories/2015...s-lead-to-mansfield-town-council-disagreement

After hiring a consultant to evaluate Nextgen CT impact on Mansfield, and hearing the report that it would actually be positive for the town as long as it allows private development to capitalize on the state's investments, the natives are predictably up in arms.

The growth ( naturally and otherwise ) of our state university. as well as any semblance of a university town is held hostage by a dozen or so rubes.

Reaction Score
Pretty embarrassing to see the team doing stretches in the lobby of Freitas before practice. For those of you who don't think that something needs to be done on campus for the men's & women's hockey teams this picture says it all:
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-uconn-hockey-media-day-0930-20150929-story.html

It seems to be the ongoing theme of UConn athletics. In order for various Husky sports teams to remain or become more competitive, on campus athletic fields and facilities must be upgraded and modernized in order to attract better athletes. It is true in basketball, soccer and baseball, and it most certainly applies to ice hockey as well, as the UConn ice rink simply does not cut it in any way as a Hockey East level practice or game facility.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

http://dailycampus.com/stories/2015...s-lead-to-mansfield-town-council-disagreement

After hiring a consultant to evaluate Nextgen CT impact on Mansfield, and hearing the report that it would actually be positive for the town as long as it allows private development to capitalize on the state's investments, the natives are predictably up in arms.

The growth ( naturally and otherwise ) of our state university. as well as any semblance of a university town is held hostage by a dozen or so rubes.

This statement says it all - "'Raymond said she was weary of the report, adding the town is “fastly becoming not the town of Mansfield, but the town of UConn.'"

UConn and Mansfield are symbiotic. One without the other would not exist and its not like UConn is new, it has been in Storrs since 1881 Without UConn, Mansfield would be just another small, agricultural community in eastern Connecticut. Instead, its nationally know and its residents enjoy many of the amenities that a B1G university has to offer ranging from guest speakers, to plays, to sporting events, and simply outdoor, pedestrian areas to walk, run, and ride a bike. While I am sure many residents of Mansfield, many of whom work at UConn, are supportive of the university, some days, I think UConn shoudl be carved-out fo the town so that it can better meet its unique needs

Reaction Score

I have said this for awhile on this forum:

The University does NOT have to go through the Town for approvals. They have done so as a "courtesy" going back to Celeron Square in 1985 (which, btw, is on University land). The Herbst administration has made more than noises on taking back the approval process and putting into a separate State Authority - with unknown composition.

The Town has overplayed their hand.

Reaction Score
I have said this for awhile on this forum:

The University does NOT have to go through the Town for approvals. They have done so as a "courtesy" going back to Celeron Square in 1985 (which, btw, is on University land). The Herbst administration has made more than noises on taking back the approval process and putting into a separate State Authority - with unknown composition.

The Town has overplayed their hand.
About time. The Mansfield NIMBYs can shove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom