UCONN hockey program won't be complete until on-campus barn/team facility opens | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN hockey program won't be complete until on-campus barn/team facility opens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And 15K a night for hockey is a pipe dream. Maybe once or twice if a big opponent is in town, but consistently, no. Not a single program in the country can do it, including those with enormous fanbases in hockey hotbeds like Minnesota and Wisconsin, there's no reason to believe UConn can do it. A 6-7K arena on camps would be the perfect fit, and in line with other HE/B1G arenas. If they had to put a couple big games in Hartford each year, go for it.

Reaction Score
I haven't figured out why if they want a team in Vegas, just move Arizona there.

NHL from all accounts wants to expand within the next 2 - 2 1/2 years, Seattle likely won't be ready by that time so that makes QC/Las Vegas the last two viable cities standing willing to fork over the $500M purchase price.

Phx will then relocate to Seattle and it'll work out practically the same except the league wasn't forced to wait any longer then they intended.

Reaction Score
And 15K a night for hockey is a pipe dream. Maybe once or twice if a big opponent is in town, but consistently, no. Not a single program in the country can do it, including those with enormous fanbases in hockey hotbeds like Minnesota and Wisconsin, there's no reason to believe UConn can do it. A 6-7K arena on camps would be the perfect fit, and in line with other HE/B1G arenas. If they had to put a couple big games in Hartford each year, go for it.

Did I say every time? The UConn-BC games last year may have drawn 10k without the curtains.

Reaction Score
NHL from all accounts wants to expand within the next 2 - 2 1/2 years, Seattle likely won't be ready by that time so that makes QC/Las Vegas the last two viable cities standing willing to fork over the $500M purchase price.

Phx will then relocate to Seattle and it'll work out practically the same except the league wasn't forced to wait any longer then they intended.
I beg to differ. I think the owners will work out a plan to balance out the conferences. Unless they want to keep the Western Conference smaller to make it easier and more desirable to play in the west because it'd be easier to make the playoffs.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that about a week ago someone published something stating that the NHL would not expand (as they had hoped to) and while they would attempt to spin it, the reason was that none of the candidates were willing to come close to the half billion dollar asking price.

The NHL has to be the most non-professionally run professional business in the history of mankind. I have a laundry list pages long about the small minded thinking and horrendous decisions that have haunted the league since the mid 1930's.

Reaction Score
I beg to differ. I think the owners will work out a plan to balance out the conferences. Unless they want to keep the Western Conference smaller to make it easier and more desirable to play in the west because it'd be easier to make the playoffs.

Their plan A is clearly Vegas and Seattle but they're not going to wait around forever for SEA. The fact that think the league hasn't had any problems with the 14-16 alignment should ease any of their concerns over going to a potential 15-17 split so I think they eventually grow tired of waiting and just go with QC semi-reluctantly. That's just my guess.

You make a good point that I never really put to much thought about making the WC more desirable with less teams but this would also a. foster more rivalries for the league as a result and b. lessen travel for the entire EC.

QC will be rivals with practically the entire EC with a few exceptions and if the Whalers were to come back they would have rivalries with the Bruins, Rangers, now Hurricanes, etc.

Rivalries = Compelling TV & $. Less travel costs is a by-product.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
QC will be rivals with practically the entire EC with a few exceptions and if the Whalers were to come back they would have rivalries with the Bruins, Rangers, now Hurricanes, etc.

Rivalries = Compelling TV & $. Less travel costs is a by-product.

Excellent point about rivalries but this leads me to a question (intentionally pointed to illustrate the NHL's lack of business sense, common sense, etc....

In the very early 1970's the Bruins and Rangers had become top level teams (for the first time together in their respective histories save a brief period in the late 1920's) who faced each other in the playoffs three times in four seasons (once in the finals). What exactly would lead a sports league to restructure their alignments so that a team from New York and a team from Boston (who each made the playoffs regularly over the subsequent decades) would not face each other on the playoffs for forty years?

Reaction Score
Excellent point about rivalries but this leads me to a question (intentionally pointed to illustrate the NHL's lack of business sense, common sense, etc....

In the very early 1970's the Bruins and Rangers had become top level teams (for the first time together in their respective histories save a brief period in the late 1920's) who faced each other in the playoffs three times in four seasons (once in the finals). What exactly would lead a sports league to restructure their alignments so that a team from New York and a team from Boston (who each made the playoffs regularly over the subsequent decades) would not face each other on the playoffs for forty years?
That's easy to answer Tom..a sports league run by Gary Bettman

Reaction Score
I'm one of the many new season ticket holders from the Hartford area who was drawn into the fold by UConn embracing Hartford and Whalers fans as they joined Hockey East...I'm kind of surprised at the antipathy towards Hartford, the XL and Whalers fans here. We've had great crowds even with the poor promotion and an under .500 record. There are more UConn alumni and hockey fans in the Hartford area than in Storrs by far. Why be so eager to doom the hockey program to play third or fourth fiddle on campus in a small arena that will cut crowds almost in half?

I'm also not sure why it's not possible, with Uconn opening a campus in downtown Hartford, for the new XL Center to serve as the home ice for UConn in Hockey East. Are the rules so stringent that a satellite campus doesn't count?

Reaction Score
I'm one of the many new season ticket holders from the Hartford area who was drawn into the fold by UConn embracing Hartford and Whalers fans as they joined Hockey East...I'm kind of surprised at the antipathy towards Hartford, the XL and Whalers fans here. We've had great crowds even with the poor promotion and an under .500 record. There are more UConn alumni and hockey fans in the Hartford area than in Storrs by far. Why be so eager to doom the hockey program to play third or fourth fiddle on campus in a small arena that will cut crowds almost in half?

I'm also not sure why it's not possible, with Uconn opening a campus in downtown Hartford, for the new XL Center to serve as the home ice for UConn in Hockey East. Are the rules so stringent that a satellite campus doesn't count?
On-campus arena was part of the deal getting a spot in HE. Without that promise there would be no HE hockey games at the XL Center. I consider my self a loyal Whaler fan...I root for ANY team playing the Hurricanes and adopted the Rangers as my new NHL team. I couldn't even think of rooting for the Bruins as a Whaler fan. It isn't UCONN Ice Hockey's job to fill the XL Center...UCONN should play a few of their bigger games at the XL Center each year BUT they need a place on campus where the students...YES students can bring the noise and rock the place. Basketball has proven alumni will travel to Hartford or Storrs for games..hockey should be no different!

Reaction Score
Hearing serious consideration to scrap plans for an on campus arena and XL will be home.

Reaction Score
Hearing serious consideration to scrap plans for an on campus arena and XL will be home.

World is ending posts incoming!

I for one am perfectly fine with this if it does happen. If they went to Storrs support for the program would only diminish imo. I understand the angle of the students should get to watch them on campus but let's not act like the student section at last year games was anything else than underwhelming; it was borderline embarassing. Granted it would be better if they played on-campus but I think Greater Hartford's appetite for hockey far out paces the UConn students appetite.

And it's totally possible that the soccer team could end up outdrawing the hockey team at certain times (chance they're more popular too). I wouldn't want to see that. Plus selfishly if they move to Storrs I won't make any of the games and I suspect that would be the case with quite a good % of current ST holders. I would wager that UConn is none to thrilled by the idea of replacing full-paying ST holders with Student ST holders.

Reaction Score
Huskymike where did you hear this? I'm interested to see what HE has to say about this if it is even at all true. I for one would not be surprised if HE gives UCONN an ultimatium build an on-campus facility as per our agreement or you are out. It blows my mind how on this board people can go to the hoops sections and there isn't any complaining about going to games at Gampel...yet on here all you see is people posting about how they want hockey to stay in Hartford and off campus. For this program to succede there needs to be a top notch facility on campus....no if's and's or but's! A 5000 seat facility on campus would be loud and rocking. It isn't UCONN ice hockey's job to replace the Whalers as Hartford's hockey team. Hartford actually has a hockey team to call their own..it's called the Wolfpack!

Reaction Score
And it's totally possible that the soccer team could end up outdrawing the hockey team at certain times (chance they're more popular too). I wouldn't want to see that. Plus selfishly if they move to Storrs I won't make any of the games and I suspect that would be the case with quite a good % of current ST holders. I would wager that UConn is none to thrilled by the idea of replacing full-paying ST holders with Student ST holders.
Doggpound that's a pretty bold statement to make regarding the % of season ticket holders bailing if games are moved on campus. I'd take that bet any day of the week! And I most likely wouldn't make many games either since I am traveling from Westchester County.

Reaction Score
I'll add this to think about for those of you who want to see the games stay in Hartford and not see a on-campus facility built. If you think for one second Mike Cavanaugh stays at UCONN if this happens I don't know what to tell you. He will move on first chance he gets! He has been on the record several times stating that a on-campus facility/arena is a must.

Reaction Score
Huskymike where did you hear this? I'm interested to see what HE has to say about this if it is even at all true. I for one would not be surprised if HE gives UCONN an ultimatium build an on-campus facility as per our agreement or you are out.

If it's being seriously considered that lends credence to the fact that HE could be on-board with staying in Hartford; not against.

It blows my mind how on this board people can go to the hoops sections and there isn't any complaining about going to games at Gampel...yet on here all you see is people posting about how they want hockey to stay in Hartford and off campus.

It's a better draw in Hartford, more $ for UConn and that means more exposure for the team, program and league.

For this program to succede there needs to be a top notch facility on campus....no if's and's or but's! A 5000 seat facility on campus would be loud and rocking. It isn't UCONN ice hockey's job to replace the Whalers as Hartford's hockey team. Hartford actually has a hockey team to call their own..it's called the Wolfpack!

Hartford drew 5,814; that # will only rise as the ST base expands. You're talking about a 5,000 (UConn has said even 4,000) seat arena where the majority will be students. Students = lower revenue. You're already losing the revenue of the extra 1-2,000 people the XLC will be squeezing in nightly but on top of that you're then replacing a significant amount of paying customers for students. UConn takes a double hit on that and this is at a time where UConn is scrambling to bring in additional revenue to the university. Moving on-campus would do just the opposite.

Reaction Score
If it's being seriously considered that lends credence to the fact that HE could be on-board with staying in Hartford; not against.

It's a better draw in Hartford, more $ for UConn and that means more exposure for the team, program and league.

Hartford drew 5,814; that # will only rise as the ST base expands. You're talking about a 5,000 (UConn has said even 4,000) seat arena where the majority will be students. Students = lower revenue. You're already losing the revenue of the extra 1-2,000 people the XLC will be squeezing in nightly but on top of that you're then replacing a significant amount of paying customers for students. UConn takes a double hit on that and this is at a time where UConn is scrambling to bring in additional revenue to the university. Moving on-campus would do just the opposite.

Until the "it's seriously being considered" rumor comes from UCONN it's another unfounded rumor! As for $$ and the students..all well and good but don't expect Cavanaugh to be around long. I'm glad in a way I live near NYC and my firehouse is not far from MSG...because it allows me to look at hockey in Hartford rationally. I'll be a Whaler fan till the day I die...but the NHL isn't comng back to Hartford. Hell will have to freeze over before Gary Bettman says yes to that.

Reaction Score
I don't want to dive too far OT with the NHL thing, but the idea that Bettman is opposed to the NHL in Hartford "just because" is ridiculous. He's visited Hartford in the past five years, met with politicians and laid out guidelines. It always has been and always will be about our willingness to build a modern arena.

That said, I've heard directly from people in the CRDA that UConn will be the main partner/tenant in the new XL. For all intents and purposes, downtown Hartford will be a UConn campus and the XL will be a UConn facility. I don't see how this is a bad thing. Storrs is already congested with major league caliber basketball programs, taking the hockey program back to Storrs full time will do nothing but slash attendance in half and unload most of the season ticket base. Herbst has been in Hartford meeting with Malloy. I've rarely seen state officials be so unambiguous about their intentions and don't consider this unsubstantiated rumor. The fact that there has been little but silence on the on-campus facility is just supporting evidence.

Cavanaugh has had nothing but good things to say about Hartford and was the driving force in pulling more games there this year. The crowd in Hartford is an intimidating factor which has played a part in those upset victories. There's no compelling reason that an arena on the Hartford campus wouldn't count as an on campus facility except for provincial attitudes among Storrs fans who feel like their campus is the "real campus". I think it would be incredibly foolish to intentionally hobble the growth of this program in Hartford, NHL aspirations aside. It stands on its own merit.

Until the "it's seriously being considered" rumor comes from UCONN it's another unfounded rumor! As for $$ and the students..all well and good but don't expect Cavanaugh to be around long. I'm glad in a way I live near NYC and my firehouse is not far from MSG...because it allows me to look at hockey in Hartford rationally. I'll be a Whaler fan till the day I die...but the NHL isn't comng back to Hartford. Hell will have to freeze over before Gary Bettman says yes to that.

Reaction Score
Also, let's not kid ourselves about the relationship of UConn to the state as a whole. UConn athletics are most certainly filling the major league-sized void left by the Whalers, and not just the hockey team. Every tax payer has skin in the game, and the alumni who really spend the money on these programs are overwhelmingly found more in the Hartford area than in Storrs. These teams are not and should not become pet projects of a small group of people.

Reaction Score
Until the "it's seriously being considered" rumor comes from UCONN it's another unfounded rumor! As for $$ and the students..all well and good but don't expect Cavanaugh to be around long.

Cav is slated to leave regardless according to many people when Jerry York steps down + that's just your personal conjecture that he would leave w/o an on-campus arena anyways.

I'll be a Whaler fan till the day I die...but the NHL isn't comng back to Hartford. Hell will have to freeze over before Gary Bettman says yes to that.

a. How's the NHL pertain to the future of UConn's Hockey program?

b. It's safe to say you would have been one of those people saying WPG would never sniff the NHL again and your reasoning in all likelihood would have been the same lame and tired reason you stated above.

I'm glad in a way I live near NYC and my firehouse is not far from MSG...because it allows me to look at hockey in Hartford rationally.

Congrats living within the vicinity of one of the most underachieving franchises in all of professional sports history. I'm glad to say I don't.

Reaction Score
Cav is slated to leave regardless according to many people when Jerry York steps down + that's just your personal conjecture that he would leave w/o an on-campus arena anyways.

b. It's safe to say you would have been one of those people saying WPG would never sniff the NHL again and your reasoning in all likelihood would have been the same lame and tired reason you stated above.

Congrats living within the vicinity of one of the most underachieving franchises in all of professional sports history. I'm glad to say I don't.
You sure about regardless...BC alum Greg Brown will get a TON of support to replace York when he retires. Nope not in the least about Winnipeg...same with Minnesota. Hey I live where I live because I am a fireman in the GREATEST fire department in the GREATEST city in the world. I like the Rangers now because I refuse to gve that Karmanos ANY of my $$. I don't get why people tout yourselves as UCONN alumni yet want the hockey games all in Hartford. I guess it's just easier for you to go to them. And hey I grew up 10 minutes from campus so I haven't always lived down this way.

Reaction Score

You sure about regardless...BC alum Greg Brown will get a TON of support to replace York when he retires. Nope not in the least about Winnipeg...same with Minnesota. Hey I live where I live because I am a fireman in the GREATEST fire department in the GREATEST city in the world. I like the Rangers now because I refuse to gve that Karmanos ANY of my $$, and I was a Wolfpack fan before I started working in NYC. I don't get why people tout yourselves as UCONN alumni yet want the hockey games all in Hartford. I guess it's just easier for you to go to them. And hey I grew up 10 minutes from campus so I haven't always lived down this way.

Reaction Score
Also, let's not kid ourselves about the relationship of UConn to the state as a whole. UConn athletics are most certainly filling the major league-sized void left by the Whalers, and not just the hockey team. Every tax payer has skin in the game, and the alumni who really spend the money on these programs are overwhelmingly found more in the Hartford area than in Storrs. These teams are not and should not become pet projects of a small group of people.
You mean the CRDA and fans like you who don't want to go up to campus?
As for Cav's feelings about an on-campus facility they are in here:
http://www.theuconnblog.com/2014/10/10/6956871/uconn-mens-hockey-interview-with-mike-cavanaugh

Reaction Score
You sure about regardless...BC alum Greg Brown will get a TON of support to replace York when he retires.

Ok, so if he's not going to BC then I can't see another obvious program that he could step into and coach that wouldn't be considered anything other than lateral move for him, especially with all the resources he has at his disposal at UConn. If a 4,000 seat arena is really that much of a game breaker to him whatever; it is what it is.

Hey I live where I live because I am a fireman in the GREATEST fire department in the GREATEST city in the world.

That's awesome man, I'm truly glad you're happy and respect you for your service but we veered on this topic because you used it as an opportunity to snipe at Hartford, Connecticut and the Whalers return, for whatever reason. I enjoy living in CT, I'm proud of my state and I couldn't care less about NY or NYC.

I don't get why people tout yourselves as UCONN alumni yet want the hockey games all in Hartford. I guess it's just easier for you to go to them.

I'm not a UConn Alum. A lot of Huskies fans aren't and I've surely never "touted" myself as one.

My reasoning for wanting the team in Hartford is because the team receives gobs more exposure playing there, they'll play in front of thousands of more people, it's a centralized location for the vast majority of the UConn fan base (which resides in GH), UConn generates more revenue (+ doesn't spend $ on an arena), the list goes on and on.

Reaction Score
Ok, so if he's not going to BC then I can't see another obvious program that he could step into and coach that wouldn't be considered anything other than lateral move for him, especially with all the resources he has at his disposal at UConn. If a 4,000 seat arena is really that much of a game breaker to him whatever; it is what it is.

That's awesome man, I'm truly glad you're happy and respect you for your service but we veered on this topic because you used it as an opportunity to snipe at Hartford, Connecticut and the Whalers return, for whatever reason. I enjoy living in CT, I'm proud of my state and I couldn't care less about NY or NYC.

I'm not a UConn Alum. A lot of Huskies fans aren't and I've surely never "touted" myself as one.

My reasoning for wanting the team in Hartford is because the team receives gobs more exposure playing there, they'll play in front of thousands of more people, it's a centralized location for the vast majority of the UConn fan base (which resides in GH), UConn generates more revenue (+ doesn't spend $ on an arena), the list goes on and on.
I too am a proud CT native who grew up 10 minutes from campus and lived there till 1999...I learned the game of hockey as a kid on the open air rink on campus...a CT native who has had season tickets to UCONN sports for a LONG time. I dumped on Hartford because as a CT native I'm tired of seeing UCONN being used as a political football to bail out Hartford. I would like to see them play the bigger games in Hartford...but the CDRA needs to roll the dice and not use UCONN as the main tennent. My fear for the program is this : if they don't build a good on-campus facility/arena they will forever be fighting an uphill battle recruiting. There also may be a Title IX issue down the road if they don't let the women play in Hartford (which is an instant money loser).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom