UCONN hockey program won't be complete until on-campus barn/team facility opens | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UCONN hockey program won't be complete until on-campus barn/team facility opens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Playing in the Greater Hartford area will help Uconn in many ways. Potentially get into B1G and have access to new nutmeg tournament or a HE/ NCAA regional or frozen four.
100% of this is fundamentally not true. XL-only hockey would be a hindrance to getting into the B1G if anything, primarily due to the necessity of some weekday games, even if the Wolf Pack left. Also, it'd be a major recruiting hindrance not playing games on campus and not being able to practice where you play. Exactly zero other hockey programs in the country play 30-45 minutes from campus. There's a reason for this.

Reaction Score
I don't remember coach cav praising the atmosphere, energy and crowd at frietas the other day. He said it was a nice crowd for a exhibition(1,158) and should help the players feel welcome. I was there and drove from Hartford area. I didn't see that many students on a Saturday game on campus for FREE. Mainly adults.

Let clear up some things:Th Xl is owned and operated by the STATE OF CONNECTICUT, NOT HARTFORD. Through the state run agency of the capital region development authority or CRDA. Hartford politicians, city council, city government will NOT be involved with the funding of renovations. It will be bonded by the ct bonding commission. It's a state building and project, not Hartfords

How can you compare a felon businessman saying he would provide private $ and save the city 11 million by having his company build the stadium to a company Stadium Consultants International (SCI) that just renovated Madison Square Garden?

2 different animals. Stop bashing Hartford just because you hate Uconn playing in Hartford.

I now have ST to Uconn football, soccer, bball, and hockey and I NEVER been to a Uconn event ever prior to the Uconn vs BC game at XL. Playing in the Greater Hartford area will help Uconn in many ways. Potentially get into B1G and have access to new nutmeg tournament or a HE/ NCAA regional or frozen four. Huge bball tournament. The Xl needs to be upgraded and Uconn can reap the benefits of it.

It's ALL about revenue and a renovated XL could provide that needed revenue streams. Those revenue streams will and could provide the funding for on-campus upgrades.

You can't just rely on alumni and current students to support the athletic teams. I know it cliche, but it's the university of Connecticut not the university of storrs. Until we get the whalers back, uconn is all we got for in-state sports. I'm sick of giving my $ to NY AND MA.

Don't attack me because I didn't go to uconn and I like them playing downtown. It just the reality of the situation and you should embrace the potential upgrade.

OK, I forgot that the state and not the city run the XL. My apologies. That said, I did state that it if makes sense to UConn in terms of revenue, exposure, etc. to play at the 'new' XL, then do so. While I don't expect a sweetheart deal like U Louisville with the Yum Center, the arrangement has to make make financial sense for UConn to play home games 30 miles from campus, which I believe is the greatest distance between campus and a home court in the US. If UConn is being forced to play at the XL due to state/city politicians under unfavorable contracts, then absolutely not. I cannot find the story; but, a few years back, I believe that for UConn to break (revenues less costs and fees) at an XL basketball game, they had to draw over 12K for any given game where as the break-even point at Gampel was half that. Plus, the old contract greatly limited UConn's ability to play neutral site games away at places like MSG, Barclay's, TD Garden, etc. and that prime exposure in absolutely necessary while UConn is stuck in AAC purgatory.

PS - As stated elsewhere, under the Hockey East agreement, UConn is obligated to build a 4K hockey rink on campus with shovels in the ground by 2016.

Reaction Score
Damn it, this back and forth is exactly why CT can't have nice things. Drives me crazy. O.K, Hockey East and UConn agreed to a contract and set standards PRIOR to UConn EVER playing a home HE hockey game. I hope we can all agree on that. I remember reading them here. XL met those standards, Frietas did not.

Then this happened:

Those standards/contract/deal whatever with UConn and Hockey East probably went out the window. Ripped in 1/2, toss in the barrel.

HE officials and UConn were creaming in their pants. That crowd, the noise, the atmosphere, it's a sell out, having to turn people away. Made national sports sites and ALL of college hockey was surprised with the crowd and support. They were probably not expecting that reaction. This was a real CT hockey team in the HCC since the whalers played in April 1997. Crowd went bonkers and did for the rest of the season.

They had NO idea what to expect with the turnout and how people would react. See my above story. I renewed this year and bought bball, football, and soccer ST.

So, my thought and it seems you guys just can't even think of it as a possibility is: you know, That whole 4K requirement thing about an on-campus rink, well, HE says , WE WANT YOU TO PLAY AT THE XL. Look at this place! I'm screaming right next to you!!!

I'm down for an on-campus rink and I want one to be built. Practice, recruiting, students, and such will benefit.

I just don't think it such a requirement as you guys think. Contracts and agreements change all the time.

Reaction Score
Meeting going on now. The meeting minutes should be interesting… Probably posted in a couple of days.

http://www.crdact.net/data/Unsorted/10-15-2015-BoardMtg_Agenda-73166-1.pdf
"Agenda
CRDA Board Meeting 6:00pm Thursday, October 15, 2015

• Venue Committee
  • - XL
· Presentation on Transformation Strategy

• - Rentschler Field
    • · MOU with OPM modified
    • · Capital Improvements
  • - CTCC· Capital Improvements

Finance
  • - Monthly Financial Report

Executive Directors Report
    • - Establishment of Neighborhood sub-committee*
    • - Garages
      • · Church Street Capital needs
      • · CTCC Garage Capital Program
    • - Science Center/CUP Agreement
    • - UCONN
      • · XL Agreement
      • · Rentschler Agreement
      • · Long Term XL Partnership"

Reaction Score
Damn it, this back and forth is exactly why CT can't have nice things. Drives me crazy. O.K, Hockey East and UConn agreed to a contract and set standards PRIOR to UConn EVER playing a home HE hockey game. I hope we can all agree on that. I remember reading them here. XL met those standards, Frietas did not.

Then this happened:

Those standards/contract/deal whatever with UConn and Hockey East probably went out the window. Ripped in 1/2, toss in the barrel.

But, what happens 20 years from now when UConn hockey somehow manages to hire the Coach Paul Pasqualoni of college hockey and after 2 years of owning the basement of Hokey East (or B1G Hockey), only 2,000 people max are showing up to watch hockey games at a 16K XL venue and UConn's revenues are negative (fees + costs > ticket sales)? Not a single Hockey East or B1G hockey team play in an off-campus arena.

Reaction Score
My spidey sense is telling me that no on campus facility as promised will drive Cavanaugh out the door no matter how many coats of paint they put on the XL.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My spidey sense is telling me that no on campus facility as promised will drive Cavanaugh out the door no matter how many coats of paint they put on the XL.
You cannot recruit or even attempt to recruit at BU or BC levels without an on campus facility. The on campus facility is more important for recruiting than for game days.

Reaction Score
So the Wolfpack might very well end up staying in Hartford. More than ever, the new hockey facility in Storrs is needed in order to get leverage for games on Friday and Saturday nights.

You see anything about the Wolfpack/MSG in the CRDA agenda minutes? If they renovate the Xl,'it's for the UConn/NHL, not the Wolfpack. They may excercise the 2x 1 year options after this season. I hope they don't, cause I want UConn hockey to get best dates (I'm all for better scheduling even if it's just 10games.)
I think fremuith of CRDA only wants 10x each
10x mens bball
10x Women's bball
10x men's ice hockey.

Rest of schedule = new on-campus arenas. Whether dual purpose, new, updated, renovated, stand alone etc.

You get the $$$ from the new suites, loges, ST sales, concessions from the new
XL and help pay for new gampel, new Freitas, new practice facilities etc. Even if most $ are through donations, ALL new revenue streams will help. So start the on campus arena situation ASAP.

Let's hope XL renovations start next summer. 2-3 off seasons of construction and with wolfpuke and the same set up for Uconn athletics currently and then we'll have a completely different XL. They would probably have a nicer curtain set up for lower bowl Uconn hockey games. It would be designed in mind with last season as data. Not a 16k set up... 30 prime scheduled events.

So in 3 years, UConn men's ice hockey could potentially have 2 amazing new facilties. What is wrong with that? Why would coach cav bail? Have some faith people. I want on campus and new XL. I'm sensitive about it, cause I REALLY want a new HCC and an on campus rink (with Beer please)to happen.
They BOTH need public support.

Pumped for tommorow!

Reaction Score
I don't see anything in the minutes about the NHL either... just saying.
OT:
Arizona: 1-2 years
Florida: asking for 82 M from county. Can leave after 8 yrs, but has to pay 82 M given
Carolina: PK is looking to sell.
Islanders: either Barclays or islanders can leave after 5 years. 10,540 today and not much better the 1st 2 games.Couldn't sell out brand new arena 1st ever home opener against a really good hockey team (well, UCONN DID!!!!!!!!!!)

Reaction Score
You see anything about the Wolfpack/MSG in the CRDA agenda minutes? If they renovate the XL,'it's for the UConn/NHL, not the Wolfpack. They may excercise the 2x 1 year options after this season.

As long as Bettman is Commisioner of the NHL, Hartford is not getting a NHL team. The fact that Las Vegas has made it to the top of the potential expansion candidates show's that the NHL has not learned its lesson that putting an NHL team in a city just because it has a lot of people is foolish if those people don't care about hockey, see Phoenix, both Florida teams, Atlanta, etc.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...hl-expansion-process-moving-forward/32223885/

Beyond Las Vegas, Quebec City looks to be very close to getting a team, which actually makes sense. The next tier appears to be Seattle and Kansas City followed by a third tier of Houston, Hartford, and second Ontario team located between Toronto and Hamilton.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There will be an arena and there will be games played at the XL after it's built. It's not like there isn't a model (actually two) for this type of arrangement.

Holiday tournaments, winter break games, games plus a few key games will be played at XL. The rest on campus.

I also see a possible Friday/Saturday split during FB season setting up FB/Hockey doubleheaders.

Reaction Score
Then this happened:

I really don't like raining on UConn's extraordinary first season in Hockey East, but no. The atmosphere at Mullins when BC goes in there is equal to that. Go to a game at Alfond, go to a game at Northeastern when BU or BU are there, go to a game at UNH when they play Maine, never mind going to a BU-BC game. Hockey East has some of the best sports environments you'll find anywhere in college athletics. Hockey East wants nothing to do with XL on a regular basis. Select games at XL that would be held in prime time slots on Friday/Saturday nights that would attract large crowds and TV coverage would be a good setup. But Hockey East did not rip up their deal because of XL attendance at BC and BU games.

Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding we have a winner! You want to keep Cav from going back to BC when York retires, build a home rink and training facility on campus so he can recruit on par with other HE schools. Playing 100% at XL will be a MAJOR recruiting disadvantage to other HE schools.

Reaction Score
You see anything about the Wolfpack/MSG in the CRDA agenda minutes? If they renovate the Xl,'it's for the UConn/NHL, not the Wolfpack. They may excercise the 2x 1 year options after this season. I hope they don't, cause I want UConn hockey to get best dates (I'm all for better scheduling even if it's just 10games.)
I think fremuith of CRDA only wants 10x each
10x mens bball
10x Women's bball
10x men's ice hockey.

Rest of schedule = new on-campus arenas. Whether dual purpose, new, updated, renovated, stand alone etc.

You get the $$$ from the new suites, loges, ST sales, concessions from the new
XL and help pay for new gampel, new Freitas, new practice facilities etc. Even if most $ are through donations, ALL new revenue streams will help. So start the on campus arena situation ASAP.

Let's hope XL renovations start next summer. 2-3 off seasons of construction and with wolfpuke and the same set up for Uconn athletics currently and then we'll have a completely different XL. They would probably have a nicer curtain set up for lower bowl Uconn hockey games. It would be designed in mind with last season as data. Not a 16k set up... 30 prime scheduled events.

So in 3 years, UConn men's ice hockey could potentially have 2 amazing new facilties. What is wrong with that? Why would coach cav bail? Have some faith people. I want on campus and new XL. I'm sensitive about it, cause I REALLY want a new HCC and an on campus rink (with Beer please)to happen.
They BOTH need public support.

Pumped for tommorow!
I'm gonna rain on your XL renovation schedule a bit...the MSG renovation went over budget with 24/7 work schedules at the end of each phase work crews were doubled and tripled so job would be done on time. I know this because we went on inspections off that place on a regular basis while work was being done. James Dolan had an unlimited budget.,,I'm gonna figure the CRDA won't.

Reaction Score
I'm gonna rain on your XL renovation schedule a bit...the MSG renovation went over budget with 24/7 work schedules at the end of each phase work crews were doubled and tripled so job would be done on time. I know this because we went on inspections off that place on a regular basis while work was being done. James Dolan had an unlimited budget.,,I'm gonna figure the CRDA won't.
Yeah i've been 100% against any remodel of the current building and for starting from scratch because of this. I still can't believe people actually think this project will transform a 40 y/o building into anything resembling a state of the art arena at 250 mil. This is how it's going to go: They're going to start renovations and find problems they'd never even imagine, politics and budget problems will justify cutting corners and what we are going to end up with is another coat of paint on what is now one of the worst arenas in the country.

MSG's final cost was over 1 billion, right? But we can do a similar job for less than a quarter of that? I'm not a believer and I would be 110% supporter of an NHL comeback but this isn't the way to do it.

Reaction Score
If it is true that the Wolf Pack are staying in Hartford, an on-campus facility is absolutely positively 100% a necessity, with the significant majority of games being played on campus. No matter how much of a high priority UConn can negotiate for hockey, with MSG owning the Wolf Pack, there's only so much leverage UConn can have.

Reaction Score
So in 3 years, UConn men's ice hockey could potentially have 2 amazing new facilties. What is wrong with that? Why would coach cav bail?

Because let's face it, there won't be a completed renovated XL in three years. We'll be lucky if renovations have STARTED in three years. That said, having two facilities with split time is not an advantage. Again, no other team in the country does that. Yes, Maine plays a game in Portland, UNH plays a game in Manchester, Wisconsin plays a game or two in their old arena (also in Madison), and a couple other garbage programs like Robert Morris, Sacred Heart and one or two others play nearby off campus - this is not the same situation as playing 50% of your games about 30 miles from campus, where it's not possible to practice every day.

I'm going to continue to be a broken record on this - hockey players want to practice where they play, it gives them an advantage on game day to know the surface and the boards. UConn will forever be at a recruiting disadvantage to the power programs of Hockey East, and the B1G if they get there, as long as more than a small handful of games are played in Hartford. You can discuss arena atmosphere and ease of access for fans all you want, but the previous sentence is a 100% stone cold fact that anyone associated with college hockey will attest to.

Reaction Score
If the Hockey East demands we have an on-campus arena, we will have an on-campus arena. It's that simple. Its not like UConn is going to tell the HE to go f-off.

Reaction Score

The renovation of MSG was spurred by the addition of Barclay's to the NYC arena scene and to a lesser degree, the Prudential Center in Newark as both were newer and offered better amenities that MSG pre-rennovation.

Dolan also blew that cool Billion$ into NYC's face because the city owns the land that MSG is and and wanted Dolan to build a new arena at a different location and Dolan does not want to do so. Why? MSG is built on top of Penn Station and the Hudson train lines; both of which need to be urgently renovated and expanded. While the city does have a significant chunk of land to expand into (the Farley Post Office complex across the street, it is not enough and Penn Station can't be expanded with MSG sitting on top of it. While MSG is important to NYC, 500,000 rail passengers use Penn Station per day which is more important to NYC's economy that MSG. Thus, MSG has to go and NYC in 2013 only renewed MSG's lease for 10 years by a vote of 47 to 1. Dolan wanted an evergreen lease (never ends) while Mayor Bloomberg wanted a 15 year lease. Due to the landmines that Dolan threw at the city during this process, he got 10 instead. This will be an interesting story going forward.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/25/nyregion/madison-square-garden-is-told-to-move.html?_r=0

Reaction Score
Brassbonanzaa: dude, STOP!!!
How many times did I write: yes, they ALSO need an on-campus rink built for practice, recruiting, and actual hockey games. Dude, I'm ALL for an on-campus arena. So, STOP with the relpies attacking and nitpicking my posts.

Get mad at UConn and the state, or town of Mansfield if you don't get an on-campus arena shovels in ground by 2016. Don't get mad at me, Hartford or hockey fans that support them in HFD.

As for recruiting, yes, it's a disadvantage in stretching in lobbies, and not practice where u play, travel etc. I GET IT, but I know you're all diehard UConn/storrs people, but do you think playing in the XL ALSO serves as a recruiting tool as a positive NOT a NEGATIVE? I would think it as a (+) if i was looking at other HE schools. Do you think an on-campus rink will be ready by the time letunov, Thompson, gendron, masonius graduate? They still chose UConn. See cavs quote about XL atmosphere posted earlier.

Because let's face it, there won't be a completed renovated XL in three years. We'll be lucky if renovations have STARTED in three years. That said, having two facilities with split time is not an advantage. Again, no other team in the country does that. Yes, Maine plays a game in Portland, UNH plays a game in Manchester, Wisconsin plays a game or two in their old arena (also in Madison), and a couple other garbage programs like Robert Morris, Sacred Heart and one or two others play nearby off campus - this is not the same situation as playing 50% of your games about 30 miles from campus, where it's not possible to practice every day.

I'm going to continue to be a broken record on this - hockey players want to practice where they play, it gives them an advantage on game day to know the surface and the boards. UConn will forever be at a recruiting disadvantage to the power programs of Hockey East, and the B1G if they get there, as long as more than a small handful of games are played in Hartford. You can discuss arena atmosphere and ease of access for fans all you want, but the previous sentence is a 100% stone cold fact that anyone associated with college hockey will attest to.

Reaction Score
but do you think playing in the XL ALSO serves as a recruiting tool as a positive NOT a NEGATIVE? I would think it as a (+) if i was looking at other HE schools. Do you think an on-campus rink will be ready by the time letunov, Thompson, gendron, masonius graduate? They still chose UConn.

This is what you're not getting - XL is not a positive. Virtually no recruit will choose UConn on the basis of being able to play home games in Hartford. It simply will not happen. And Letunov did not choose UConn, he chose BU and was ultimately not allowed to play there. Cav's comments about the atmopshere are nice, but if you asked him truthfully off the record, he would not rate UConn as one of the top home crowds in Hockey East. You've either never been to another HE arena or your head is in the sand if you think XL is in the top five crowd atmospheres, when comparing full crowds. It does not hold a candle to Alfond, Matthews, the Gut, and those are programs UConn would be regularly recruiting against. And I haven't even mentioned the Whit, Conte, Agganis, or Mullins. My ears have bled at Alfond, and even Mullins since they let half of the damn arena be filled with drunk as hell students for BU and BC games. Heck, even the crowd at Union last week for the BU games was amped up and load - acoustics has a lot to do with this and XL is a terrible arena acoustically. XL is NOT a positive for the growth of the program from a recruiting standpoint in ANY way. Good for getting more casual sports fans to show up as a tool to build the fan base, yes. That's about it.

You want a recruiting tool - build a snake pit of an arena on campus with 6K seats a la what Penn State did, with an adjoining training facility. UConn would instantly be on par or above every other Hockey East team from a facilities and crowd atmosphere perspective. As it stands, those two factors combined, they're bottom half of the league.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I went to both UConn vs UNH playoff games. Crowd sucked. Especially for a playoff game. Even if they think UConn is a easy series win, the place was dead.

Went to the @ BC game, crowd was alright, but XL was louder.
Went to @ umass game, dead
Went to @ PC game. Full, but not loud.

Going to make it up for Maine games and VT game this year. Haven't been to BU, northeastern, Merrimack, UML, or ND yet.

Reaction Score
I went to both UConn vs UNH playoff games. Crowd sucked. Especially for a playoff game. Even if they think UConn is a easy series win, the place was dead.

Went to the @ BC game, crowd was alright, but XL was louder.
Went to @ umass game, dead
Went to @ PC game. Full, but not loud.

Going to make it up for Maine games and VT game this year. Haven't been to BU, northeastern, Merrimack, UML, or ND yet.
Conference QF games are notoriously the worst-attended games every single year for every team in the nation, even Maine and North Dakota don't come close to selling them out. The video of the UConn-BC game was posted, that's what I'm using as the measuring stick - UConn's best home crowd. If you want to compare UConn-UMass, you should liken that to the UConn-RPI home crowd. Here's a more accurate comparison between UMass and UConn's best home crowds - home vs BC on opening night for them as well:

Reaction Score
Are you a UMASS fan? Your trying to say UMASS fans are better than UConn fans? LOL, jk Who cares about umass vs BC. It's a instate rival. We haven't seen QU or Yale vs UConn @ XL yet. Just because you have a drunkun fan dancing/jumping up and down in the video doesn't make it a better crowd.
Well, I wish I had video from same spot during the last 1-2 minutes of UConn vs BC. That was LOUD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom