UCONN hockey program won't be complete until on-campus barn/team facility opens | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UCONN hockey program won't be complete until on-campus barn/team facility opens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The renovation of MSG was spurred by the addition of Barclay's to the NYC arena scene and to a lesser degree, the Prudential Center in Newark as both were newer and offered better amenities that MSG pre-rennovation.

Dolan also blew that cool Billion$ into NYC's face because the city owns the land that MSG is and and wanted Dolan to build a new arena at a different location and Dolan does not want to do so. Why? MSG is built on top of Penn Station and the Hudson train lines; both of which need to be urgently renovated and expanded. While the city does have a significant chunk of land to expand into (the Farley Post Office complex across the street, it is not enough and Penn Station can't be expanded with MSG sitting on top of it. While MSG is important to NYC, 500,000 rail passengers use Penn Station per day which is more important to NYC's economy that MSG. Thus, MSG has to go and NYC in 2013 only renewed MSG's lease for 10 years by a vote of 47 to 1. Dolan wanted an evergreen lease (never ends) while Mayor Bloomberg wanted a 15 year lease. Due to the landmines that Dolan threw at the city during this process, he got 10 instead. This will be an interesting story going forward.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/25/nyregion/madison-square-garden-is-told-to-move.html?_r=0
Come head no offense but I am in Penn Station a few times a tour when I'm at work so I don't need the upgrade lesson...I am also well versed on the whole project as well. I'll state it again...Dolan could afford massive cost over runs for the MSG renovation...I'm sure the CRDA can't. I'll also tell you that my neighbor works for MSG in a very high VP role..his explanation "It was cheaper for Dolan to gut MSG 3x to renovate it than build a new one because of tax break losses alone".

Reaction Score
Are you a UMASS fan? Your trying to say UMASS fans are better than UConn fans? LOL, jk Who cares about umass vs BC. It's a instate rival. We haven't seen QU or Yale vs UConn @ XL yet. Just because you have a drunkun fan dancing/jumping up and down in the video doesn't make it a better crowd.
Well, I wish I had video from same spot during the last 1-2 minutes of UConn vs BC. That was LOUD!
FYI..I'm sitting directly behind the UCONN bench..where I sit every game and I'm not very impressed by the size of the crowd tonight

Reaction Score
FYI..I'm sitting directly behind the UCONN bench..where I sit every game and I'm not very impressed by the size of the crowd tonight

I'm here, I agree, I wish it was bigger. It beats the 1,565 the Wolfpack drew the other day. Worst attendance in Hartford hockey history I heard. Hopefully the next BU game draws. Repeat: yes, they need an on-campus arena.

Reaction Score
Tough scheduling. Too bad they couldn't get ASU to play them tomorrow night instead.

It's homecoming weekend, with lots of sporting events going on this weekend involving UConn. Men's soccer has a home game tonight, and it is sold out, despite having their worst season in many years. Not as big competition as basketball first night, but still a big event on the UConn campus.

Reaction Score
FDNY99 said:
Come by and see Fraser and I some game. We are on the glass in the corner where zamboni comes out.

Reaction Score
Come by and see Fraser and I some game. We are on the glass in the corner where zamboni comes out.
I'll try to get over there Tues night...I'm right behind the bench

Reaction Score
http://www.crdact.net/data/Unsorted/10-15-2015-DRAFT-BoardMinutes-73174-1.pdf

"XL - Presentation on Transformation Strategy

Jeff Armstrong and Bob Saint gave a slide presentation of the Concept Design for the Transformed Multi-Use Spectator Arena. The interim report highlighted elements of the designs that are being presented. A lengthy discussion ensued regarding renovation costs; revenue streams; major tenant events, games, etc.

Issues needing resolution include: financing; control of the land; St. Joseph’s current lease; land assembly; and getting ready for construction phasing over 2 years".

"CRDA/UConn working on last minute changes to a 30 Event/20 year LOI that
will take effect once newly renovated XL Center is complete.
Rentschler Agreement, along with the current three year XL Agreement, should be formally adopted at the October UConn Board of Trustee Meeting".

Reaction Score
Very interesting read.

UConn should have been a lot better prepared to make the transition. Penn State did it the right way.

Cavanaugh's quotes makes it seems he is frustrated just talking about it. Especially, the difficulty Freitas poses when it comes to recruiting.

Do not look for on campus games for a very long time.

Maybe an upgraded practice facility by 2019. Not encouraging.

http://www.courant.com/hc-uconn-hockey-east-arena-site-1025-20151024-story.html

Reaction Score
Very interesting read.

UConn should have been a lot better prepared to make the transition. Penn State did it the right way.

Cavanaugh's quotes makes it seems he is frustrated just talking about it. Especially, the difficulty Freitas poses when it comes to recruiting.

Do not look for on campus games for a very long time.

Maybe an upgraded practice facility by 2019. Not encouraging.

http://www.courant.com/hc-uconn-hockey-east-arena-site-1025-20151024-story.html
Do look for continued recruiting losses through 2019 and beyond as long as they continue with this ridiculous idea that playing 100% of games at XL is a good idea.

Reaction Score
Do look for continued recruiting losses through 2019 and beyond as long as they continue with this ridiculous idea that playing 100% of games at XL is a good idea.
Exactly. At some in the near future, they will reach their peak as a program without the necessary facilities to compete at a higher level. Do not look for a NCAA berth for many, many years to come.

Reaction Score
At some point the attendance numbers will drop in Hartford if the product doesn't get better. Anyone on here who thinks that recruiting will continue to happen at a high level is living in a fantasy world. Malloy would know what happens to attendance when the product stagnates or goes down if he ever went to any football games at Rentschler..like Rell before him..his seats are 4 rows in front of me. I have seen him at 3 maybe 4 games. With this newest news...and Cav's comments in the article...I don't think it's just the BC job that will get him to move on. Hartford is a much better ride for me than Storrs and I don't know if I would keep my tickets if they moved on campus due to not being able to make the games. I have no problem with UCONN playing the bigger games in Hartford and the rest of them on-campus...BUT here is my problem...UCONN will be the main tenant in a upgraded XL center...a 18,000 seat facility that wasn't just designed for college athletics. If..and this a a HUGE if...they can ever possibly lure another NHL team to the XL Center...UCONN will QUICKLY become an after thought..and scheduling issues will abound AGAIN. But this is a pipe dream because as long as Gary Bettman is President of the NHL you will NEVER see another NHL team skate on XL Center ice as a home team except in a pre-season game. If they don't make Freitas a on-campus arena..then they need to make it the best practice facility in the country. Because to win the recruiting game traveling 45 minutes to play every home game you have to go over the top in your practice facility.

Reaction Score
UCONN is the flavor of the day...REQUIRED by an inept Gov to save the day until something better comes along...then they again become an after thought and hockey get's 4th choice of dates.
http://www.crdact.net/data/Unsorted/10-15-2015-DRAFT-BoardMinutes-73174-1.pdf

"XL - Presentation on Transformation Strategy

Jeff Armstrong and Bob Saint gave a slide presentation of the Concept Design for the Transformed Multi-Use Spectator Arena. The interim report highlighted elements of the designs that are being presented. A lengthy discussion ensued regarding renovation costs; revenue streams; major tenant events, games, etc.

Issues needing resolution include: financing; control of the land; St. Joseph’s current lease; land assembly; and getting ready for construction phasing over 2 years".

"CRDA/UConn working on last minute changes to a 30 Event/20 year LOI that
will take effect once newly renovated XL Center is complete.
Rentschler Agreement, along with the current three year XL Agreement, should be formally adopted at the October UConn Board of Trustee Meeting".

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Renovating Freitas is stupid.

Reaction Score
Part of the 20 year lease agreement is scheduling priority (+ once again WP will be long gone and UConn will be the only tenant in the building so all the scheduling fears will be put to bed).

I told you guys this is how it was going to play out. The bigger news in all of this though is that the CRDA/SCI are planning a 2 year renovation as opposed to the original 3 year renovation plan. That means the XLC will be a new building come opening night 2018.

zls44

Reaction Score
Part of the 20 year lease agreement is scheduling priority (+ once again WP will be long gone and UConn will be the only tenant in the building so all the scheduling fears will be put to bed).

I told you guys this is how it was going to play out. The bigger news in all of this though is that the CRDA/SCI are planning a 2 year renovation as opposed to the original 3 year renovation plan. That means the XLC will be a new building come opening night 2018.

Yeah, but its still stupid.

zls44

Reaction Score
The bigger news in all of this though is that the CRDA/SCI are planning a 2 year renovation as opposed to the original 3 year renovation plan.

Woo-hoo! 1/3 more halfass!

Reaction Score

You also told us this will attract a NHL team too...will UCONN still get scheduling priority over them? And a new 18K arena doesn't mean s@@t when the practice facility is sub D-3 NE Prep school

Reaction Score
lol it'll be a nicer hockey facility than a number of buildings currently hosting NHL games.
Lol sure. I'd put good money on this facility not being done before 2020. This will blow up in UConn's face with respect to hockey.

Reaction Score
lol it'll be a nicer hockey facility than a number of buildings currently hosting NHL games.
No way in hell could they "transform" that dump into anything close to an NHL arena for 250 mil over 2 summers. This is the state using our hope to stretch another 20 years out of that place. Sooner or later they have to stop kicking that ball down the road.

zls44

Reaction Score
No way in hell could they "transform" that dump into anything close to an NHL arena for 250 mil over 2 summers. This is the state using our hope to stretch another 20 years out of that place. Sooner or later they have to stop kicking that ball down the road.

When you've lost FartMan69, Warde, you've lost America.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom