UCONN hockey program won't be complete until on-campus barn/team facility opens | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UCONN hockey program won't be complete until on-campus barn/team facility opens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No way in hell could they "transform" that dump into anything close to an NHL arena for 250 mil over 2 summers. This is the state using our hope to stretch another 20 years out of that place. Sooner or later they have to stop kicking that ball down the road.
They couldn't complete MSG in three summers for $1 billion! This is all fantasy on the part of the governor and those who want to be patted on the back for making Hartford "better." UConn is being used as a pawn.

Reaction Score
If you can read the following text and think anything other than this is a horrible idea for the progression of the program, you need to get your head out of the sand. When the head coach is decrying it, as well as the conference commissioner, IT'S BAD.

But Bertagna also said that although the XL Center is a suitable venue for most games, the fact that it hosts a wide variety of events could present a problem. He said if UConn were to win a playoff game on a Saturday and then needed to host the following week "when the circus is in town," that could present a problem. Even if overall attendance were to drop slightly at an on-campus game, he said, "there is excitement in a small, packed venue where tickets are hard to get."

Bertagna also said that an on-campus facility is necessary to be able to "recruit the athletes you need to be competitive in the Hockey East." He said the "student-athlete is a pretty smart consumer," and has come to expect state-of-the art practice facilities.

Manuel admitted the need for an on-campus facility, as did UConn hockey coach Mike Cavanaugh.

Cavanaugh deals with both ends of the spectrum in what he can sell to recruits — a downtown arena with a vibrant game-day atmosphere in the XL Center and an outdated, on-campus practice facility with limited space and amenities in Freitas.

Now in his third season at UConn, Cavanaugh said he stresses to recruits that people, not buildings, are the foundation for a strong program.

"I do say that," Cavanaugh said. "If I get upset about the facility every day, it's like getting upset about a hooking call."

Reaction Score
They couldn't complete MSG in three summers for $1 billion! This is all fantasy on the part of the governor and those who want to be patted on the back for making Hartford "better." UConn is being used as a pawn.
This has hack job written all over it. I'm already envisioning downsizes and budget cuts resulting in a Dunkin Donuts Center type renovation. I've always been a supporter of the NHL in Hartford but these plans have shown me both Whaler fans and UConn are being used to squeeze more life out of this dump.

Reaction Score
This has hack job written all over it. I'm already envisioning downsizes and budget cuts resulting in a Dunkin Donuts Center type renovation. I've always been a supporter of the NHL in Hartford but these plans have shown me both Whaler fans and UConn are being used to squeeze more life out of this dump.
100% spot on. I'd put it at 4:1 the renovations do not end up as they are planned right now and end up scaled down into a buttered-up band-aid fix.

UConn also better hope they aren't hosting a HE octo-final or QF playoff series, two Wolf Pack games on the Sundays of each series. I bet HE would love that. But hey, at least Malloy feels happy for himself.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Sick and tired of uconn being played to save Hartford. Enough. College games on college campuses. It's a simple concept.

Reaction Score
100% spot on. I'd put it at 4:1 the renovations do not end up as they are planned right now and end up scaled down into a buttered-up band-aid fix.

UConn also better hope they aren't hosting a HE octo-final or QF playoff series, two Wolf Pack games on the Sundays of each series. I bet HE would love that. But hey, at least Malloy feels happy for himself.
I think they gave themselves away by now saying they only need 2 summers to complete it so basically 6 total months. Anyone who has been to that place in the last 10 years would call BS on being able to turn it into anything resembling "state of the art"

Reaction Score
I think they gave themselves away by now saying they only need 2 summers to complete it so basically 6 total months. Anyone who has been to that place in the last 10 years would call BS on being able to turn it into anything resembling "state of the art"
Didn't think of that, good point. These plans are all a pipe dream.

Reaction Score
That was running 2-3 shifts of crews to do the work that is usually given 1 crew. I can't wait for the cost over run cuts...

Reaction Score
Sick and tired of uconn being played to save Hartford. Enough. College games on college campuses. It's a simple concept.
ZLS...isn't it kind of ironic that this end game gets pulled AFTER Malloy's boy Luke Bronin gets the nomination for Mayor and is pretty much a shoo-in to win the election....look I am not against UCONN playing games in Hartford..what I'm against is the fact that Freitas is a dump that needs to be upgraded/replaced for recruiting, and that is being pretty much brushed off. Everyone can remember how full Rentschler used to be...and that novelty has DEFINITELY worn off!

Reaction Score
Didn't think of that, good point. These plans are all a pipe dream.
One thing I will say...the team from SCIA has sold some pipe dream to the CRDA...who gets held accountable when cost over run's and time line's get BLOWN out of the water?

Reaction Score
Anyone catch the mention of PSMG in the minutes...they are elbows deep in the Dillion Stadium scandal...this gets better by the second:

1. XL - Presentation on Transformation Strategy

Jeff Armstrong and Bob Saint gave a slide presentation of the Concept Design for the Transformed Multi-Use Spectator Arena. The interim report highlighted elements of the designs that are being presented. A lengthy discussion ensued regarding renovation costs; revenue streams; major tenant events, games, etc.
page3image27576

Issues needing resolution include: financing; control of the land; St. Joseph’s current lease; land assembly; and getting ready for construction phasing over 2 years.

XL Center (con’t)

Premier Sports Management Group (PSMG) acquired a franchise in the MASL (Major Arena Soccer League). PSMG has an unrelated agreement with the City of Hartford for outdoor league at Dillon Stadium. A simple deal to use the XL Arena which included paying XL, 10 days in advance to rent the building with fifth preference for dates was structured with the new team, Hartford, F.C.

Chris Lawrence explained that PSMG approached XL over 2 years ago to try to bring international opportunities over to Rentschler and they had spoken about renovating Dillon Stadium back then. PSMG also helped with marketing efforts with some of the international games that were held at Rentschler in the past. Although Chris Lawrence spoke with the league to structure the lease agreement at XL, the agreement had not yet been signed.

Mike Freimuth and Chris Lawrence explained that the league is learning about the finance troubles regarding the City and Dillon Stadium at the same time we are. PSMG is having conference calls trying to figure out how to finance the team if they move forward.

If the league does not go forward, we don’t have to do anything. If the league permits the team to move forward, then is it worth it financially to proceed? Another issue is to make certain that the Dillon money that currently is being questioned at City Hall, is not being used to meet expenses at XL for the indoor team.

Reaction Score
I would have to say UConn is more than just a pawn. These games are cultural events. This seems to be an attempt to change UConn and Hartford culture, bringing the two together more. Rather than UConn being thought of as a rural campus, they are making inroads for their sports teams to be in urban settings. Our football team is already stuck in East Hartford. This is some crazy stuff. Never been done before to my knowledge. I hope kids enjoy playing under those Whalers banners. :confused:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It is so discouraging to think that people want to pour anofor outher quarter billion dollars into the civic center and then UConn to provide 30 events annually for the next two decades.

For some reason the city of Hartford not only believes that UConn should provide commerce to that part of the city, but also believes they can provide enough commerce to justify the quarter billion dollar investment. The reality is there should be two options here:

1 - Keep the civic center basically as is, have the three programs (men's & women's hoops, men's ice hockey) play the number of games they've recently been playing, until the on campus hockey barn is built and then drop ice hockey to five or six games a to be year.

2 - Find an NHL team willing to move (somewhat secretly to be executed five or six years down the road) and once a firm (and unbreakable) commitment is obtained, demolish the current civic center and build something brand spanking new.

Nothing else makes any economic sense as there is no way UConn can generate $250 million in revenues over the life of the proposed renovations.

Reaction Score
I nominate this for post of the year!!!! GREAT job Tom!
It is so discouraging to think that people want to pour anofor outher quarter billion dollars into the civic center and then UConn to provide 30 events annually for the next two decades.

For some reason the city of Hartford not only believes that UConn should provide commerce to that part of the city, but also believes they can provide enough commerce to justify the quarter billion dollar investment. The reality is there should be two options here:

1 - Keep the civic center basically as is, have the three programs (men's & women's hoops, men's ice hockey) play the number of games they've recently been playing, until the on campus hockey barn is built and then drop ice hockey to five or six games a to be year.

2 - Find an NHL team willing to move (somewhat secretly to be executed five or six years down the road) and once a firm (and unbreakable) commitment is obtained, demolish the current civic center and build something brand spanking new.

Nothing else makes any economic sense as there is no way UConn can generate $250 million in revenues over the life of the proposed renovations.

Reaction Score
^^^ Now you're trying to throw in the Dillion mess as to why UConn can't have an on-campus arena? Wow. That's Hartford city council, not the state.

OK, let's clear up some things again.
In that courant article. The circus is in May. The frozen four is April 7-9th, so what is he talking about?
The WP had to play in Worcester during the AHL playoffs because of the circus and that was in May. not April. I get it, scheduling, but be accurate abou your example in your complaints.

MSG and the XL are 2 different animals. You can't compare.
Dimeo will do the constuction. I'm sure NY had a different Union contractor

It would be Jeremy Jacobs of the Bruins and being head of NHL BOG not just Gary Bettman that would prevent the whaler return. Jacobs doesn't even want the nords back and their in Canada!

What is stopping warde, herbst, whoever to start building/upgrading/renovating an on campus ice hockey arena right now? Why wait 3 years? Just b/c they have a 3 yr all XL deal doesn't mean they can't start now. They need $ that's why. The new XL isn't just for hockey and it won't be 18,000, it would be 17,000. The 500 million arena idea was 18k. It's for UConn basketball too, national exposure, tournaments, and for ALL Connecticut residents to use and enjoy. Maybe a nhl team. 30
UConn and 41 nhl is 71 dates. Throw in a couple concerts, shows, etc

It's way too early for all this cyncism and negativity of them scaling down the renovations and it just being a band-aid. We already did one over 1 summer.
Let's wait and see people before all this complaining.

Both upgrades to XL and on campus facility need to be done and right now UConn doesn't have some donor to drop 50-60 MM on a new rink (just throwing cost, I have no idea cost of upgrade vs new etc.). So, we're behind in terms of time and $.

I know coach cavs and everyone else's thoughts and comments on the subject, but what are the players thoughts on playing downtown? Do they like it? Hate it? How is practice vs playing in game? I want to hear from the players.... Not brass bonanzaa's or FDNY thoughts. I want to hear from the UConn players

We outdrew attendance for yesterday's on campus game in downtown Boston (mind you) ASU:4,404, @BU: 4,199. Build the busway out to storrs because people would head out there more often if they didn't have to drive.

With the new morrone going in its excisting spot, just build out Freitas to a 5-6k practice and competition facility. Start 50/50 raffle fundraisers @ XL for the rink. Start acutioning off game worn signed jerseys. Something. Get people pumped for an on-campus arena.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
read the minutes...the CRDA is as tied in with the group scamming the City of Hartford as the City is. My main issue with this is that everything is fine and dandy about dates unless they can attract a NHL team. Then things become a MAJOR issue. More importantly...the faction thinking this will be the end all be all seem to forget that there is a MAJOR need for something to be done on-campus for a practice facility. If the deal is going to staying in Hartford...then I think they need to focus on a team facility on campus instead of going to a 5500-6500 seat barn. Do this the right way or go back to the Atlantic Hockey Association! Right now this is being done half a s s e d as far as I'm concerned! As far as construction projects go..MSG and the XL project can definitely be related to each other! If you think Dimeo will be using non-union labor on this job you are wrong...and there is NO WAY ANYONE knows what is inside the shell of that dump until it's demo'd! Oh yeah..the first year of the MSG renovation the Rangers were on the road for the first month-month and a half of the season while they were scrambling to get it game ready. If you think this upgrade project will be done on time and on budget..I have a lot of land on Mars to sell you. The baseball stadium in Hartford has already been scaled back due to cost over runs...and there were changes made to Rentschler because of cost over runs (from Jeff Hathaway's proudly boasted of the following during a tour before the first game: ..the windows of the Club Seating section were supposed to open in nice weather, but we had to cut back on costs so by putting non-opening windows in we were able to achieve $1,000,000 in cost savings...). I would stop buying tickets if they move to campus because there is no way I would be able to make the games so staying in Hartford is beneficial to me personally ...what I have an issue with is Dannel Malloy trying to save the city of Hartford's nightlife economy with UCONN sports. There is a UCONN branch in Waterbury and a UCONN branch in Stamford....I don't see him banging down Waterbury's door to help that city.
^^^ Now you're trying to throw in the Dillion mess as to why UConn can't have an on-campus arena? Wow. That's Hartford city council, not the state.

OK, let's clear up some things again.
In that courant article. The circus is in May. The frozen four is April 7-9th, so what is he talking about?
The WP had to play in Worcester during the AHL playoffs because of the circus and that was in May. not April. I get it, scheduling, but be accurate abou your example in your complaints.

MSG and the XL are 2 different animals. You can't compare.
Dimeo will do the constuction. I'm sure NY had a different Union contractor

It would be Jeremy Jacobs of the Bruins and being head of NHL BOG not just Gary Bettman that would prevent the whaler return. Jacobs doesn't even want the nords back and their in Canada!

What is stopping warde, herbst, whoever to start building/upgrading/renovating an on campus ice hockey arena right now? Why wait 3 years? Just b/c they have a 3 yr all XL deal doesn't mean they can't start now. They need $ that's why. The new XL isn't just for hockey and it won't be 18,000, it would be 17,000. The 500 million arena idea was 18k. It's for UConn basketball too, national exposure, tournaments, and for ALL Connecticut residents to use and enjoy. Maybe a nhl team. 30
UConn and 41 nhl is 71 dates. Throw in a couple concerts, shows, etc

It's way too early for all this cyncism and negativity of them scaling down the renovations and it just being a band-aid. We already did one over 1 summer.
Let's wait and see people before all this complaining.

Both upgrades to XL and on campus facility need to be done and right now UConn doesn't have some donor to drop 50-60 MM on a new rink (just throwing cost, I have no idea cost of upgrade vs new etc.). So, we're behind in terms of time and $.

I know coach cavs and everyone else's thoughts and comments on the subject, but what are the players thoughts on playing downtown? Do they like it? Hate it? How is practice vs playing in game? I want to hear from the players.... Not brass bonanzaa's or FDNY thoughts. I want to hear from the UConn players

We outdrew attendance for yesterday's on campus game in downtown Boston (mind you) ASU:4,404, @BU: 4,199. Build the busway out to storrs because people would head out three more often if they didn't have to drive.

With the new morrone going in its excisting spot, just build out Freitas to a 5-6k practice and competition facility. Start 50/50 raffle fundraisers @ XL for the rink. Start acutioning off game worn signed jerseys. Something. Get people pumped for an on-campus arena.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Hartford, outside of the business district leaves quite a bit to be desired. What kills the local economy beyond everything else is that there really is no somewhat affluent to affluent residential areas.

I've seen transformations in NYC (in what was the Fulton Fish Market, in what is now SoHo and n Battery Park) where what had been slums (or worse) became spots that attracted young, well paid professionals. There have been many cities throughout the country that have accomplished similar things (on a scale sized more to their cities) and I've worked on projects (for a former employer) that revitalized New Rochelle & White Plains NY and (for my current employer) Harbor Point in Stamford.

Hartford has a sufficient young, well paid workforce (I worked on Constitution Plaza twenty years a) where the city can prosper. The objective shouldn't be keeping non-residents in town later in the evening to spend their money but rather to increase their educated professional resident base. Find a way to recapture parts of the waterfront and put up apartments and/or condos. Find places where higher income housing can be placed (and protected) close enough to where the Civic Center (and the restaurants they want supported) sits and attract young professionals. Doing this will increase property tax revenues which will help (if the revenues are utilized properly) clean up and improve the lesser areas in Hartford. I imagine that there would be a favorable view from Hartford businesses (who likely would be willing to help underwrite the costs as it will ultimately improve their homes) if the solution is to make the city more self sufficient.

Reaction Score
That's why I think (maybe the NHL) and UConn playing 30 events in a hopefully nicely renovated arena is a great idea for the greater Hartford area. The Hartford UConn campus/schools,777 apts, the front street lofts,'Aylln st appts,, the raddission apts, hopefully the development around the dunk, trying to get some apts near bushnell park are all going up or have been up, or in planning mode. It's seem people are trying in the "west end" off of Farmington ave,'but yes pockets and side streets in the area are very sketchy.

I want Hartford to succeed. I don't live there and I grew up in newington. If the nhl comes back and they have 30'uconn events, I would look into moving into 1 of those new apt projects.

It just sucks to hear people say, "F Hartford, I don't want UConn bailing them out, let them figure it out on their own, stop giving them $, you'll get shot/robbed. UConn can't have nice things because of Hartford, I'm not going there" etc.

Hartford is going to continue to be a dump until people give it a chance. The public perception of the city needs to change especially coming from its own residents and all residents of CT. It's never going to get better until people give it a chance. Hopefully bronin can turn it around...

Reaction Score
What is stopping warde, herbst, whoever to start building/upgrading/renovating an on campus ice hockey arena right now? Why wait 3 years? Just b/c they have a 3 yr all XL deal doesn't mean they can't start now. They need $ that's why. The new XL isn't just for hockey and it won't be 18,000, it would be 17,000. The 500 million arena idea was 18k. It's for UConn basketball too, national exposure, tournaments, and for ALL Connecticut residents to use and enjoy. Maybe a nhl team. 30UConn and 41 nhl is 71 dates. Throw in a couple concerts, shows, etc

You completely lost me here... what's the correlation you are trying to draw?

Reaction Score
You completely lost me here... what's the correlation you are trying to draw?

Typing on iPhone, I tend to jump all over and try to respond to a bunch of posts at once. I can't quote and respond to each one. Too lazy.

1st sentence: yea, why can't they start one now? Whether it be upgrading Freitas to nice practice, upgrade to a competition venue, or a brand new arena in new area?
Is it waiting for a gampel roof/upgrade decision, the B1G?, funding?, support?Mansfield?, wait your turn?(soccer, gampel roof, baseball, other buildings etc) ?, board of trustees?, the governor? Time?, revenue?, I don't think this is "just about Hartford". So what's the reason?

Why wait until 2019 or later? Even if they have a 3 year all XL hockey game deal, whats is stopping them from building the on-campus arena?

Plus, I think there's 2 deals. 1 3x yr SPECTRA deal( tickets, promos, marketing) and 1 3x XL center deal for the events. So, I haven't seen either deal in writing. The 30/20 yr won't kick in until renovations and I'm sure it has some very strong UConn terms.

In that post, I was then trying to say they probably don't have the $ right now. So I was saying that the XL is a good investment for the state to make because it needs to be done and UConn can benefit from the suites, loges, advertising boards, other $ streams for not only hockey, but also basketball, tournaments, TV, exposure, and growing the brand in state and abroad.

The 18,000 point is b/c I think that's too big for HFD. <17,000 loud more intimate arena is better especially with overall live sporting spending is dropping vs just watch it on tv. Plus, I think they would design with UConn in mind and close of the lower bowl/tarp and advertise($) the upper bowl etc.

Reaction Score
ZLS...isn't it kind of ironic that this end game gets pulled AFTER Malloy's boy Luke Bronin gets the nomination for Mayor and is pretty much a shoo-in to win the election....look I am not against UCONN playing games in Hartford..what I'm against is the fact that Freitas is a dump that needs to be upgraded/replaced for recruiting, and that is being pretty much brushed off. Everyone can remember how full Rentschler used to be...and that novelty has DEFINITELY worn off!
Going from a Big East contender to one of the worst FBS teams in a matter of a couple years may have helped to be fair.

Reaction Score

The Civic Center cant continue in it's current state, it bleeds money. They need a new building, not anymore lipstick on this pig because we'll be having this same convo 20 years from now.

Reaction Score
Too much fantasy and nonsense to parse through in some of these posts. I'll say it again, read the comments of the Hockey East commissioner and Cav. That should be all you need to know whether this is a good move for the program. Some of you hear still refuse to believe what others have posted here. Listen to those two, then call your representatives.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
The Civic Center cant continue in it's current state, it bleeds money. They need a new building, not anymore lipstick on this pig because we'll be having this same convo 20 years from now.
I've been to quite a few men's hoops games there over the past few seasons and see little difference from when I attended every (men's hoops) game there in the 1990's or when I attended most from 2000 -2008 (at which pint it became impossible for me to make most games).

I really don't see any logic in throwing $250,000,000 into the facility. That would still be merely a band-aid but one that would come at an excessive cost. Please elaborate on the bleeding money comment and please give a detailed explanation as to how spending a quarter billion dollars will end this bleeding of money. I really want to know (from a true business perspective, not a political or local pride) perspective what the $250,000,000 investment will return.

Reaction Score
I've been to quite a few men's hoops games there over the past few seasons and see little difference from when I attended every (men's hoops) game there in the 1990's or when I attended most from 2000 -2008 (at which pint it became impossible for me to make most games).

I really don't see any logic in throwing $250,000,000 into the facility. That would still be merely a band-aid but one that would come at an excessive cost. Please elaborate on the bleeding money comment and please give a detailed explanation as to how spending a quarter billion dollars will end this bleeding of money. I really want to know (from a true business perspective, not a political or local pride) perspective what the $250,000,000 investment will return.
I agree that we shouldn't put any more money into the current building but if you don't think the current set up loses money than I don't know what to tell you. Take it for what it's worth but the CRDA has said it loses over 3 million a year. It's an old building without any of the modern money makers (suites, loges etc.) and has mechanical issues that obviously haven't gone away with all of the repairs. I don't agree with this article on a lot of levels but it does address the money losing issue.
http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-jacobs-column-xl-center-0220-20150219-column.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom