UConn and the New York Market | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn and the New York Market

Reaction Score
I agree that it seems unlikely, Texas would not want to have the west coast travel or be lost in the Pacific Time Zone ghetto; Pac12 would not be excited without Texas.

More likely is an ESPN grab, Texas to independent with a Notre Dame deal with ACC, Oklahoma + 1 (Kansas or Ok State or Texas Tech) to SEC, remainder of B12 left to fend for itself with the G5.
I don't think ESPN has the pull they use to have to form a seudo conference in the form of a TV deal. Texas would demand at least $25 million a year up front from ESPN to go independent in all sports, and they'd be crazy to do it.

pj

Reaction Score
I don't think ESPN has the pull they use to have to form a seudo conference in the form of a TV deal. Texas would demand at least $25 million a year up front from ESPN to go independent in all sports, and they'd be crazy to do it.

Not independent in all sports -- only football. Notre Dame like deal. ACC in all non-football sports, 6 ACC football games per year, then regional scheduling (Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, A&M, Houston, Arkansas, Oklahoma State, LSU, etc). Probably Notre Dame-Texas could count as an ACC game for both of them. Texas keeps the Longhorn Network.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
What I think will ultimately happen is either the Pac-12 gets the Texahoma 4 with the caveat that everyone gets to keep their Tier 3 rights, and Texas gets to keep the Longhorn Network. The other possibility is that TX and OU will go to the SEC and everyone would get to keep their Tier 3 rights. OU is not going to the B1G as they are not AAU. KU alone will say us will not bring in enough $ to go to the B1G. No one is going to the ACC as ND is fine with their hybrid situation.

Reaction Score
Not independent in all sports -- only football. Notre Dame like deal. ACC in all non-football sports, 6 ACC football games per year, then regional scheduling (Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, A&M, Houston, Arkansas, Oklahoma State, LSU, etc). Probably Notre Dame-Texas could count as an ACC game for both of them. Texas keeps the Longhorn Network.
I think it's unlikely, all Texas non football sports in the ACC. The geographic problems are almost as bad as the PAC 12. Texas soccer, basketball, baseball, Volleyball and softball comes to Boston, Syracuse, and Pittsburgh, all so ESPN can make some money off of Texas football. That's crazy for Texas to even consider it IMO.

Reaction Score
No need. You guys can have this POS. :) I'll personally remove it from our trophy case and drive it to Storrs, CT.

View attachment 20004

No thanks, we already have an ugly trophy we are trying to get rid of. Maybe we can
swap. Or have a game where both trophies are awarded to the winner.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
What I think will ultimately happen is either the Pac-12 gets the Texahoma 4 with the caveat that everyone gets to keep their Tier 3 rights, and Texas gets to keep the Longhorn Network. The other possibility is that TX and OU will go to the SEC and everyone would get to keep their Tier 3 rights. OU is not going to the B1G as they are not AAU. KU alone will say us will not bring in enough $ to go to the B1G. No one is going to the ACC as ND is fine with their hybrid situation.

AAU is preference, not a requirement. If it meant getting Texas, the Big10 would role out the red carpet for the Sooners. A combo of Texas, Oklahoma and Nebraska in the West does exactly what the Big10 wants: 26.5 million eyes on Big10 brands.

Reaction Score
Once the B1G took RU, then anyone is fair game. TV eyes are all that matters, I guess.

Reaction Score
AAU is preference, not a requirement. If it meant getting Texas, the Big10 would role out the red carpet for the Sooners. A combo of Texas, Oklahoma and Nebraska in the West does exactly what the Big10 wants: 26.5 million eyes on Big10 brands.
Highly unlikely the Big Ten would take OU or Texas. It was hard enough for them to take Nebraska, a majority of the conference didn't want it, and it's turning out now that Nebraska may go back to the Big 12. There are other reasons why the Big Ten will not sniff around that old SWC area again.

Reaction Score
Nebraska will never, ever, never, ever, never, never, never ever go back to the Big 12.

You would have to be bad at math or residing in West Virginia to even think that's in the realm of possibilities.
What about the rumors that they're not happy in the Big Ten and want to go back?

dayooper

Reaction Score
Highly unlikely the Big Ten would take OU or Texas. It was hard enough for them to take Nebraska, a majority of the conference didn't want it, and it's turning out now that Nebraska may go back to the Big 12. There are other reasons why the Big Ten will not sniff around that old SWC area again.

Huh? Nebraska was voted in unanimously on a very quick vote. I don't know where you get that the majority of schools didn't want them. Sure, Michigan and Wisconsin led the movement to get them kicked out from the AAU, but that was known BEFORE they were admitted into the Big10. The candidates for entry into the Big10 back in 2010 were all on an even plane until Nebraska showed interest. Then, it moved very quickly and UNL was admitted.

If you think that the Big10 would turn down Texas because of Oklahoma, than you are very wrong. Texas is the Big Fish for the Big10. It's who they covet the most, with only UNC close. Take Oklahoma to get Texas? No brainer.

The Big10 was close to taking Oklahoma back in 2010, along with Nebraska, Texas A&M, Kansas and Iowa St. The Omaha Herald reported that there was discussion with the Big10 while Texas was flirting with the PAC.

Omaha World Herald July 25 said:
.Big Ten football fans, see if the following slate of conference games would interest you:

Oklahoma vs. Wisconsin; Nebraska vs. Texas A&M; Iowa vs. Iowa State; Minnesota vs. Kansas.

Unfortunately, it’s not happening. But there was a time when grouping those eight schools into one division of a 16-team Big Ten was discussed at high administrative levels by members of both leagues. . .

. . . The feedback from Big Ten school officials was positive, both sources said. The sticking point was devising a revenue-sharing plan to satisfy all. It would have taken at least three to four years for that many incoming schools to hit the financial payoffs sought for moving.

Link

I know that was seven years ago, but it shows that the Big10 was at one time, interested in the plains schools.

dayooper

Reaction Score
What about the rumors that they're not happy in the Big Ten and want to go back?

Same as the rumors that LSU and Arkansas want to the Big12. Same as the rumors that Arizona and ASU want to go to the Big12. Same as FSU, GT and Virginia moving to the Big10. Each of those schools reportedly were upset and wanted out.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Taken from the thread that @huskymedic linked to, in case you didn't click the link:

Shawn Eichorst ‏@BigRedAD 23m23 minutes ago
Proud & privileged to be member of the Big Ten-the oldest & best power 5 athletic conference. Excellence = academics, athletics & life. GBR!
Didn't have to, I remember that thread from last fall. Yes, it's probably unlikely that Nebraska would want to pass up that huge annual dividend they get from the Big Ten. The flip side bothers me though, that everyone and his mother is so quick to discount what this guy tweeted, add to that a ton of Nebraska fans and alums who don't like being in the Big Ten. The question is are Montemayor's tweets legit or did he just make them up? You would think a guy like him would be dialed in to the fan base and the program. Just saying.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Didn't have to, I remember that thread from last fall. Yes, it's probably unlikely that Nebraska would want to pass up that huge annual dividend they get from the Big Ten. The flip side bothers me though, that everyone and his mother is so quick to discount what this guy tweeted, add to that a ton of Nebraska fans and alums who don't like being in the Big Ten. The question is are Montemayor's tweets legit or did he just make them up? You would think a guy like him would be dialed in to the fan base and the program. Just saying.

Oh, there are Nebraska fans that want to be in the Big12 again. The problem is the Big12 they remember is dead and will never the same again. The Nebraska admin knows this. That's why the Nebraska AD was so quick to shut the rumor down.

Reaction Score
Getting back to Dayoopers timeline of Nebraska, I'd love to hear some day how close UConn was to joining.
Two months before Nebraska joins, Cowberd went on air and said three teams were moving to another conference.
He hit on two of the three with UConn being the miss.
Was it simply that Nebraska stepped up out of nowhere and surprised the Big10 with the decision to leave their football rivals, thus leaving UConn in the dust?
I'd imagine an out of left field declaration that UConn was going to the Big 10 had to have come from Cowherd being supremely confident in his sources and he did work for ESPN. He did get the other two right before anyone else had the scoop.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Getting back to Dayoopers timeline of Nebraska, I'd love to hear some day how close UConn was to joining.
Two months before Nebraska joins, Cowberd went on air and said three teams were moving to another conference.
He hit on two of the three with UConn being the miss.
Was it simply that Nebraska stepped up out of nowhere and surprised the Big10 with the decision to leave their football rivals, thus leaving UConn in the dust?
I'd imagine an out of left field declaration that UConn was going to the Big 10 had to have come from Cowherd being supremely confident in his sources and he did work for ESPN. He did get the other two right before anyone else had the scoop.

I have some thoughts pieced together from various places ( all public knowledge). When I get time in a couple of days, I'll write something up

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom