UConn and the New York Market | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn and the New York Market

Reaction Score
I hope you're right, huskyrob. I hope you know something I don't. But I just can't agree with you on why you think UConn makes sense for the Big Ten.
I have already said that it makes even more sense for the ACC to take us, that being said it's also attractive for the Big Ten as well, just not as much. Hell, the Big Ten might want us just to keep the ACC from getting us and the NY and New England market.

Reaction Score
OK then explain why the UCONN men (not even talking here about the women) on SNY, consistently out draw ESPN, Espn2, and ESPN U and the games they're broadcasting, and I'm not even talking about the state of CT. The West Virginia or Tech boards had some comparison numbers that they put up last week. I think there were numbers for the UCONN women as well.

Can you provide the link to the site for that data? Curious to read it.

Reaction Score
We are only 7 years away from being in this conference:

West Virginia
Kansas
Kansas St.
Baylor
TCU
Iowa St.
Cincinnati
UConn
UCF
USF
Houston
Navy or Memphis (probably Navy, though BYU is possible as well.)

Reaction Score
It's adorable that people are still posting about the Big Ten inviting UConn.

You just might happen to be along the way.

Location. Location. Location (and a few other things). Worked for Rutgers

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

West Virginia
Kansas
Kansas St.
Baylor
TCU
Iowa St.
Cincinnati
UConn
UCF
USF
Houston

Nice list, but somehow I feel like it will be BYU rather than Navy and UConn battling with Memphis/UCF and USF for the 11 and 12th spots. And CSU will be play spoiler too. Ugh.

the Departed - Temple, Tulsa, SMU, Tulane, ECU and Navy.

Reaction Score
Nice list, but somehow I feel like it will be BYU rather than Navy and UConn battling with Memphis/UCF and USF for the 11 and 12th spots. And CSU will be play spoiler too. Ugh.

the Departed - Temple, Tulsa, SMU, Tulane, ECU and Navy.

Only if they don't like money will UConn be left out.

As for the Departed, the conference above is the B12. All the rest will remain AAC.

Reaction Score

West Virginia
Kansas
Kansas St.
Baylor
TCU
Iowa St.
Cincinnati
UConn
UCF
USF
Houston
Yeah Lol, away games from Cincinnati to Florida to Utah, and it's going to take our soccer teams, baseball team, field hockey team, lacrosse team, women's softball, and tennis teams and golf teams, ice hockey teams, and Volleyball teams, and wrestling team, seven years and $7 million just to play their away games. My god, when will they have time to study?

Reaction Score
I think a great east coast bball rivalry would add a lot of value to a B1G competing with the ACC for east coast fans/viewers/recruits. UConn vs Maryland could be a showcase game. How would adding such a game to its inventory help B1G hoops recruiting, popularity, etc. on east coast vs. ACC? I don't know but my view is that it would be pretty valuable.

My post was re: MBB but applies equally to WBB.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You just might happen to be along the way.

Location. Location. Location (and a few other things). Worked for Rutgers

View attachment 19999

You've got the wrong four letter m word.

Math is the issue.

Until someone figures out how to stop the revenue slide that the cable networks are in the midst of nobody is expanding.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think a great east coast bball rivalry would add a lot of value to a B1G competing with the ACC for east coast fans/viewers/recruits. UConn vs Maryland could be a showcase game. How would adding such a game to its inventory help B1G hoops recruiting, popularity, etc. on east coast vs. ACC? I don't know but my view is that it would be pretty valuable.

My post was re: MBB but applies equally to WBB.

Maybe they can rig a trophy together out of stuff in Geno'a s garage to give to the winner.

Reaction Score
Maybe they can rig a trophy together out of stuff in Geno'a s garage to give to the winner.

C'mon, this would not be fake! At least I already hate Maryland (from the Williams years) and I grew up there. In any event, if we do need stuff for a trophy, we should probably go pick through Edsall's garage.

Reaction Score

Math is the issue.

Until someone figures out how to stop the revenue slide that the cable networks are in the midst of nobody is expanding.

Picking up a small slice of New England's most talented students and placing graduates in New England are important numbers to the presidents of the Big Ten. How important? Not sure.

Reaction Score
Yeah Lol, away games from Cincinnati to Florida to Utah, and it's going to take our soccer teams, baseball team, field hockey team, lacrosse team, women's softball, and tennis teams and golf teams, ice hockey teams, and Volleyball teams, and wrestling team, seven years and $7 million just to play their away games. My god, when will they have time to study?

OK< stay in the AAC I guess

Reaction Score

Math is the issue.

I'm a long term proponent of UConn to The B1G, as I believe that your profile matches up very well with the rest of the conference. Land Grant University, strong academics, high profile M/W Programs, good Olympic Sports, plus the addition of hockey. The fact that you are located in a major media market is also a great selling point IMO. That said just as you noted above math is the issue. With B1G Media Rights escalating to nearly absurd levels of around 40+ million a year, it is incredibly difficult to outline a scenario where an addition of UConn would not be dilutive to the overall conference revenue stream. The only one I can imagine would be one where Texas wanted to join and they needed a readily available partner to go with The Horns. In that scenario I think you would be evaluated in a pool of teams including OU, KU, and maybe Mizzou.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

West Virginia
Kansas
Kansas St.
Baylor
TCU
Iowa St.
Cincinnati
UConn
UCF
USF
Houston

That's almost definitely what the administration is hoping for. Still... I just wonder if anyone can really be convinced to take Texas Tech. I can see OK and OK State working out as a pair.. but I guess Texas is worth it.

Last edited:

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

Umm.... hockey won't play in the conference, they play in hockey east... field hockey and lacrosse don't play in the AAC they play in the Big East. We don't have a volleyball or wrestling team. Golf, Track & Field, Cross country, Tennis, and Rowing don't really play home and homes... they basically play a regional schedule, then go to the conference championship. Baseball pretty much already plays a national schedule. Only soccer, football, baseball, softball, and basketball have a real home and home type travel schedule. The whole "travel" cost myth is overblown. If you play NCAA sports at a top tier level your travel costs are through the roof no matter how close most of your conference mates are.

Plus there's a fairly decent chance this will be a "P5" conference... it'll probably still be called the Big 12... but yeah we can stay in the AAC with Tulane and ECU if you want.

Reaction Score
OK< stay in the AAC I guess
The AAC is not quite as bad geographically speaking as this final Big 12 in 7 years, but bad enough that it is an issue right now with Susan Herbst and the BOT's. I know this for a fact. DB has a ton of pressure on him concerning this, with travel costs, classroom makeup time for student athletes, etc. If you add up each distance from Storrs, of Kansas, K State, BYU, Iowa State, SMU, Baylor, Texas, OK, OK St, etc, the total is alot more than if you do the same for the present AAC. The UCONN BOT's and the president would never approve UCONN for inclusion in the Big 12 for all sports, maybe football only but that's also a stretch.

Reaction Score

West Virginia
Kansas
Kansas St.
Baylor
TCU
Iowa St.
Cincinnati
UConn
UCF
USF
Houston
Something tells me we'll lose out on this to. CR is just going to be a constant nightmare.

Reaction Score
Umm.... hockey won't play in the conference, they play in hockey east... field hockey and lacrosse don't play in the AAC they play in the Big East. We don't have a volleyball or wrestling team. Golf, Track & Field, Cross country, Tennis, and Rowing don't really play home and homes... they basically play a regional schedule, then go to the conference championship. Baseball pretty much already plays a national schedule. Only soccer, football, baseball, softball, and basketball have a real home and home type travel schedule. The whole "travel" cost myth is overblown. If you play NCAA sports at a top tier level your travel costs are through the roof no matter how close most of your conference mates are.

Plus there's a fairly decent chance this will be a "P5" conference... it'll probably still be called the Big 12... but yeah we can stay in the AAC with Tulane and ECU if you want.
Get your facts straight, we do have a volleyball team, they play in the Fall.

Reaction Score
The AAC is not quite as bad geographically speaking as this final Big 12 in 7 years, but bad enough that it is an issue right now with Susan Herbst and the BOT's. I know this for a fact. DB has a ton of pressure on him concerning this, with travel costs, classroom makeup time for student athletes, etc. If you add up each distance from Storrs, of Kansas, K State, BYU, Iowa State, SMU, Baylor, Texas, OK, OK St, etc, the total is alot more than if you do the same for the present AAC. The UCONN BOT's and the president would never approve UCONN for inclusion in the Big 12 for all sports, maybe football only but that's also a stretch.

More money in the Big12--so that answers your travel cost problem. This B1g12 is better than the old BE, which was offered $13m a year by ESPN a decade ago. A lot more than the current AAC? First off, I didn't list Okla homa for a reason. Nor SMU. But really what is the difference between Tulsa and Kansas? Not much. We travel to Florida now. The Texas schools are a wash because we travel there now. Swap out Tulane for Iowa St. West Virginia for Memphis.

Point is, similar travel--but more money.

Reaction Score
That's almost definitely what the administration is hoping for. Still... I just wonder if anyone can really be convinced to take Texas Tech. I can see OK and OK State working out as a pair.. but I guess Texas is worth it.

Pac12 will either be Pac16 or else SEC takes the Oklahomas.

Reaction Score
More money in the Big12--so that answers your travel cost problem. This B1g12 is better than the old BE, which was offered $13m a year by ESPN a decade ago. A lot more than the current AAC? First off, I didn't list Okla homa for a reason. Nor SMU. But really what is the difference between Tulsa and Kansas? Not much. We travel to Florida now. The Texas schools are a wash because we travel there now. Swap out Tulane for Iowa St. West Virginia for Memphis.

Point is, similar travel--but more money.
Not similar travel add it all up, and money is not the only issue. For the last time....LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE!!!!
It's the wear and tear and loss of classroom time for all the students in these sports. Football is easy to arrange away games, they're almost always on the weekend. Basketball away games can be scheduled similarly, but soccer, baseball, Volleyball, tennis, swimming and diving, softball, etc are scheduled anytime during the week. Cost is a big issue but this effect on the student athlete is a huge concern for a school that calls itself an institution of higher learning. I can tell you right now that Susan Herbst and BOT's is not going to sacrifice this just so the football team can make an extra $5 Millon a year. Forget the Big 12!!!!

Last edited:

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Get your facts straight, we do have a volleyball team, they play in the Fall.
That's it? I miss one team on the web site? You're crazy. :p

UConn would join the Big 12 in a second. They applied to already! If you don't think the Administration would rather be playing games with Kansas, KState, West Virginia and Iowa State than Tulsa, Tulane, and ECU.. of course we'll be in the Big 10 by then, right? :D:rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom