UConn and the New York Market | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn and the New York Market

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Pac12 will either be Pac16 or else SEC takes the Oklahomas.

I was thinking maybe Texas, Texas Tech to the Big 10. If Texas could dump Tech I'm sure the Big 10 would take Texas and Kansas in a second. I could even see a scenario where Ok State and Tech stay put and Texas and Oklahoma move to the Big 10. That's almost definitely the least likely... but if money gets tighter you might see some different stuff... of course if money gets too tight... OK and TX might not go anywhere. :(

Reaction Score
That's it? I miss one team on the web site? You're crazy. :p

UConn would join the Big 12 in a second. They applied to already! If you don't think the Administration would rather be playing games with Kansas, KState, West Virginia and Iowa State than Tulsa, Tulane, and ECU.. of course we'll be in the Big 10 by then, right? :D:rolleyes:
Ummm...OK, whatever you say genius.

Reaction Score
The Big Ten would not take Texas Tech. And it seems politics will factor into the next realignment, given cultural differences. That definitely is something on the minds of people, since the most powerful colleges tend to be liberal. Besides Liberty, etc (1 bil endowment already?!) We have a Cold War within the US now.

I think the Big Ten should take UConn and Liberty to sew up control of the Bos-Wash megalopolis. :confused:

Reaction Score
I was thinking maybe Texas, Texas Tech to the Big 10. If Texas could dump Tech I'm sure the Big 10 would take Texas and Kansas in a second. I could even see a scenario where Ok State and Tech stay put and Texas and Oklahoma move to the Big 10. That's almost definitely the least likely... but if money gets tighter you might see some different stuff... of course if money gets too tight... OK and TX might not go anywhere. :(
Highly unlikely the Big Ten would take Texas or Texas Tech. There are other issues at play here.

Reaction Score
The UCONN BOT's and the president would never approve UCONN for inclusion in the Big 12 for all sports, maybe football only but that's also a stretch.
I can tell you right now that Susan Herbst and BOT's is not going to sacrifice this just so the football team can make an extra $5 Millon a year. Forget the Big 12!!!!

So you are going on the BY record that UConn would turn down a Big12 invite if it came due to travel/time concerns?

Reaction Score
Not similar travel add it all up, and money is not the only issue. For the last time....LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE!!!!
It's the wear and tear and loss of classroom time for all the students in these sports. Football is easy to arrange away games, they're almost always on the weekend. Basketball away games can be scheduled similarly, but soccer, baseball, Volleyball, tennis, swimming and diving, softball, etc are scheduled anytime during the week. Cost is a big issue but this effect on the student athlete is a huge concern for a school that calls itself an institution of higher learning. I can tell you right now that Susan Herbst and BOT's is not going to sacrifice this just so the football team can make an extra $5 Millon a year. Forget the Big 12!!!!

The travel is not very different.

Floridas are the same. (2 schools)
WV for Temple
Kansas for Tulsa
2 Texas schools in both conferences
Kansas St for Tulane
Navy is Navy
Cincy is Cincy, etc.

Where in the world is the additional travel?

If anything, Iowa St. is closer than Tulsa.

Reaction Score
So you are going on the BY record that UConn would turn down a Big12 invite if it came due to travel/time concerns?
I could be wrong, but to answer your question, yes. Cost is an issue, but the big issue in my view would be loss of classroom time for the student athletes in the following sports.... soccer, Volleyball, field hockey, softball, baseball, tennis, lacrosse, swimming & diving, Track & Field, golf, etc.,
These sports are usually scheduled during the week and during daylight hours. Look at a geographic map of the present Big 12 and BYU, except for West Virginia, every other team is between 1200 and 2000 miles away. And please stop cherry picking my replies, when you do that you are taking me out of context. There are major concerns right now along these lines for the AAC, and the geographic center of the AAC is quite a bit closer to Storrs than the New Big 12 would be. Maybe football and basketball only (not sure if the Big 12 would even go for that) but not for all sports, like we could get in the Big Ten or ACC.

Reaction Score
The travel is not very different.

Floridas are the same. (2 schools)
WV for Temple
Kansas for Tulsa
2 Texas schools in both conferences
Kansas St for Tulane
Navy is Navy
Cincy is Cincy, etc.

Where in the world is the additional travel?

If anything, Iowa St. is closer than Tulsa.
I don't know what map you're looking at but the present Big 12 map has FOUR teams in Texas, two teams in Oklahoma, two in Kansas. Add BYU and, not including West Virginia, the geographic center of the conference is in eastern Colorado. Lol

Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but to answer your question, yes. Cost is an issue, but the big issue in my view would be loss of classroom time for the student athletes in the following sports.... soccer, Volleyball, field hockey, softball, baseball, tennis, lacrosse, swimming & diving, Track & Field, golf, etc.,
These sports are usually scheduled during the week and during daylight hours. Look at a geographic map of the present Big 12 and BYU, except for West Virginia, every other team is between 1200 and 2000 miles away. And please stop cherry picking my replies, when you do that you are taking me out of context. There are major concerns right now along these lines for the AAC, and the geographic center of the AAC is quite a bit closer to Storrs than the New Big 12 would be. Maybe football and basketball only (not sure if the Big 12 would even go for that) but not for all sports, like we could get in the Big Ten or ACC.

Not cherry picking, just trying to cut through all the other noise when getting to understanding a point you are making. We went full bore to showcase UConn to the Big12 this summer (and highlighted how travel wasn't an issue) so I just wanted to be sure that's what you are now implying will happen if they turn around and offer UConn a place in the conference.

Reaction Score
Not cherry picking, just trying to cut through all the other crazy talk when getting to understanding a point you are making. We went full bore to showcase UConn to the Big12 this summer (and highlighted how travel wasn't an issue) so I just wanted to be sure that's what you are now implying will happen if they turn around and offer UConn a place in the conference.
Who is "we"? Benedict had just been hired, Diaco couldn't even manage a football team much less see the problems or even care about all sports (for UCONN) in that league. The fact that it fell through speaks volumes IMO. It's possible for football only or football and basketball only but unlikely IMO.

Reaction Score
Who is "we"? Benedict had just been hired, Diaco couldn't even manage a football team much less see the problems or even care about all sports (for UCONN) in that league. The fact that it fell through speaks volumes IMO. It's possible for football only or football and basketball only but unlikely IMO.
"We" would be Susan Herbst and her leadership team.
20.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You've got the wrong four letter m word.

Math is the issue.

Until someone figures out how to stop the revenue slide that the cable networks are in the midst of nobody is expanding.
Much as it pains me to agree with this, I do. Everyone has a favorite metric but no one bothers to try to monetize them. When you do, absent sudden and fiscally unjustifiable largess from ESPN and/or a competitor, the math just does not work.

There are a few scenarios that could pull us out of AAC purgatory, but they are they are long shots. The demise of the Big 12 could well result in our ending up in a best of the rest league which, though an improvement over our current circumstances, wouldn't result in a Big 10 or SEC type deal. One interesting wrinkle is that if the demise of the profitability of ESPN continues and has the result of lowering the value of confernece college game packages, then the value of network subscribers could be come the new cash cow. In that scenario Connecticut becomes a more valuable addition. Nothing that justify a Big 10 invite today, but could be a value proposition down the road if TV money dries up considerably.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
You've got the wrong four letter m word.

Math is the issue.

Until someone figures out how to stop the revenue slide that the cable networks are in the midst of nobody is expanding.

I'd be willing to bet that conferences will re-regionalize once the money starts drying up. Colleges are going to look up and say, "why are we playing Blahblah U 1500 miles away when we can play Xyz U when they are in the next state?" Conferences won't have the money to fund all the travel for the 2nd and 3rd tier school teams and then they'll realize that all the old rivalries were with teams that are next door. In 20 years UConn could be back with a bunch of BE mates.

Reaction Score
I don't know what map you're looking at but the present Big 12 map has FOUR teams in Texas, two teams in Oklahoma, two in Kansas. Add BYU and, not including West Virginia, the geographic center of the conference is in eastern Colorado. Lol

Aye yaye yaye.

Read my post.

Tex., TT, OU and Okie are gone to other conferences. This is the original post. Navy is the 12th.

Reaction Score
Aye yaye yaye.

Read my post.

Tex., TT, OU and Okie are gone to other conferences. This is the original post. Navy is the 12th.
Aye yaye yaye...You said it, your canvas is stretched pretty thin, I think it's torn. So magically you wave your wand and those four football schools go to munchkin land. Your logic is impeccable. You're building an impossible house of cards.

Reaction Score
Aye yaye yaye...You said it, your canvas is stretched pretty thin, I think it's torn. So magically you wave your wand and those four football schools go to munchkin land. Your logic is impeccable. You're building an impossible house of cards.

What are you talking about? You've lost your mind here.

The whole discussion is premised on the B12 falling apart when Texas and Oklahoma leave. Holy cow--those 4 schools were on the way out 4 short years ago.

pj

Reaction Score

The assumption is that the B12 would not expand unless another conference raided them. A fairly safe assumption, since they just turned down expansion at a time when they had a contract that guaranteed extra money if they expanded.

So, assuming the B12 is raided, who would leave to where? We have a previous offer from Pac12 to Texas / TTech / Oklahoma /Ok State so that is a plausible 4-school departure.

Reaction Score
What are you talking about? You've lost your mind here.

The whole discussion is premised on the B12 falling apart when Texas and Oklahoma leave. Holy cow--those 4 schools were on the way out 4 short years ago.
Where on earth would TT, Tex, OU and Okie go??? Furthermore WHY would they want to go. I can't wait to hear!!! Forget the Big Ten. And if you think even one of those schools would relocate to Big Sur for all sports, I have a bridge to sell you.

Reaction Score
Where on earth would TT, Tex, OU and Okie go??? Furthermore WHY would they want to go. I can't wait to hear!!! Forget the Big Ten. And if you think even one of those schools would relocate to Big Sur for all sports, I have a bridge to sell you.

Where they were headed to before--SEC and Pac12. Why? We all know why. Because the B12 is too small for Okie and Tex to get left behind as the 5th conference.

Reaction Score
The assumption is that the B12 would not expand unless another conference raided them. A fairly safe assumption, since they just turned down expansion at a time when they had a contract that guaranteed extra money if they expanded.

So, assuming the B12 is raided, who would leave to where? We have a previous offer from Pac12 to Texas / TTech / Oklahoma /Ok State so that is a plausible 4-school departure.
The PAC 12 raiding the Big 12 for those four schools assumes there would be some interest. Not

Reaction Score
Where they were headed to before--SEC and Pac12. Why? We all know why. Because the B12 is too small for Okie and Tex to get left behind as the 5th conference.
I could see the SEC POSSIBLY picking off one of those schools, namely Texas, and in this case there would be interest. But the PAC 12 for all sports??? I think California is more likely to slide off into the Pacific.

pj

Reaction Score
The PAC 12 raiding the Big 12 for those four schools assumes there would be some interest. Not

I agree that it seems unlikely, Texas would not want to have the west coast travel or be lost in the Pacific Time Zone ghetto; Pac12 would not be excited without Texas.

More likely is an ESPN grab, Texas to independent with a Notre Dame deal with ACC, Oklahoma + 1 (Kansas or Ok State or Texas Tech) to SEC, remainder of B12 left to fend for itself with the G5.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom