UConn and the New York Market | The Boneyard

UConn and the New York Market

Reaction Score
Another story by Doyle about ratings, this time for the Cincinatti game:

On Tuesday night, the UConn-Cincinnati game drew a 7.05 ranking locally and a .36 in the New York market. SNY reported that the game out-rated 12 of 14 prime-time hours in Hartford-New Haven, including the entire lineups on ABC, NBC, Fox and CW.

In the New York market, the UConn-Cincinnati game beat the Nets-Hornets game on YES, the Kings-Lightning game on NBCSN, and four college basketball games on ESPN2 and ESPNU.

Reminder: It was a UConn at Cincinnati on a Tuesday night in February.

"Maybe because of the streak or because non-women's basketball people are talking about it," Auriemma said.. "Maybe it's because [men's basketball analyst] Jay Bilas tweeted something. I don't know. Maybe just more people are saying, 'Hey let me see what this is all about, the novelty of it, let me see.' … Look, we already have a great following. We're already getting some great ratings in Connecticut, in the Tri-State area. But if you had said to me, the game we won that was No. 91, that was huge. Or the Baylor game. … But Temple?"

The interest in New York is significant, of course. When UConn was bidding for a spot in the Big 12, the school's alumni base in the Tri-State area was a selling point, along with its pull in the New York media market. Remember the "Sixth Borough" campaign?

Athletic director David Benedict said the athletic department's New York presence remains a priority. Benedict, who came to UConn from Auburn 11 months ago, got his first taste of the New York-UConn connection in December.

"The first time I could really feel it was earlier this year when the men played Syracuse at the Garden," Benedict said. "That was as close to an NCAA Tournament type experience without being in the tournament, that I've seen. With that and then you see the ratings that are taking place, we certainly have a big-time presence in New York. I think it's a huge statement."

The other eye-opener for Benedict? The popularity of Auriemma's program all over the country. The ratings represent a snapshot of how popular the program is in the region and are a sign that this team — which has exceeded all expectations at 23-0 — is resonating with people.

But traveling around the country with UConn offers a glimpse at the program's national brand. At each road game this season, UConn has drawn one of the largest crowds of the season for the host team: 12,528 at Kansas State, 17,950 at Maryland, 7,553 at Nebraska, 9,149 at Notre Dame, 4,753 at Florida State, 4,029 at Cincinnati, 4,371 at Temple, 4,539 at UCF, 3,878 at SMU. UConn is averaging 6,402 in 12 road games.

And many of the buildings are full of local fans wearing UConn apparel, whether it's Dallas, Philadelphia, Orlando, Fla., or Lincoln, Neb.

"Really, it transcends just Connecticut," Benedict said. "All of the young, aspiring youth women's basketball players in the country, I'm sure are fans of this program. So we have a brand that spreads across the entire country and I think we can do a much better job in doing things with our women's basketball program, that will only raise the program."

In fact, Benedict said he has talked to Auriemma about capitalizing on his team's success. "I don't think as an athletics department that we're doing a good enough job as we could of leveraging the brand that he's built," Benedict said.

One idea from Benedict is to create a "multi-team event" built around UConn. Think of an early season tournament anchored by the Huskies.

"Having UConn there is a huge draw," Benedict said. "You've see the men in college basketball do some creative things like playing on an aircraft carrier, doing some things that are fun, that raise the profile, and are great experiences and opportunities. It's no different than what we're doing in football next year, playing at Fenway Park. There are opportunities to do some things that are unique. … It's an unbelievable opportunity, I think, not just to help UConn and build our brand, but to build a brand of women's college basketball, which I think is something that's very important to Geno."

That's another important part of the ratings boost. By drawing new viewers to women's basketball, UConn would appear to be raising the profile of the sport.

UConn Women’s Insider: Bored With Blowouts? Strong TV Ratings Say Otherwise

Reaction Score
It would seem to me that with the only current power five member from New England being somewhat irrelevant (small fan base and little success athletically), UConn could deliver a decent chunk of the Boston market in addition to a big chunk of the New York market. That's quite a bonus. I think the Big Ten could find that particularly appealing since (from what I've heard) they have so many alumni in Boston.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It would seem to me that with the only current power five member from New England being somewhat irrelevant (small fan base and little success athletically), UConn could deliver a decent chunk of the Boston market in addition to a big chunk of the New York market. That's quite a bonus. I think the Big Ten could find that particularly appealing since (from what I've heard) they have so many alumni in Boston.
Could be sooner than you think, I think the whole thing about the Big East rumors ruffled some feathers and Dave Benedict picking up a handheld loudspeaker to categorically deny that the Big East even exists, means something else is in the works. Say smoke screen. I think it's all a matter of who offers first, the ACC or the Big Ten. I think the ACC will, they stand to lose more if UConn goes to the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
I think both the ACC and Big Ten are fighting over us and that's why we haven't moved yet. They can't decide who's going to strike first. Should be resolved by 2050.
Lol. Try 2017 Matt, they want those NY and Boston ratings like now. Especially the ACC, BC is on life support and can't win a game anywhere. Why do you think Dave Benedict went apesh!t over the Big East rumors? Obviously someones feathers got ruffled and something was already in the early stages. He was telling the truth when he said he had no discussions with the Big East, but his outburst makes me wonder if he or his bosses had been having discussions with the ACC or the Big Ten. Both league's want men's and women's basketball, and the New York/Boston markets. Ratings on UCONN women's games are through the roof no matter where they play and the men's games on SNY almost always beat the competition on ESPN, Fox, and NBC and CBS.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lol. Try 2017 Matt, they want those NY and Boston ratings like now. Especially the ACC, BC is on life support and can't win a game anywhere. Why do you think Dave Benedict went apesh!t over the Big East rumors? Obviously someones feathers got ruffled and something was already in the early stages. He was telling the truth when he said he had no discussions with the Big East, but his outburst makes me wonder if he or his bosses had been having discussions with the ACC or the Big Ten. Both league's want men's and women's basketball, and the New York/Boston markets.
I don't understand your optimisn. We get kicked in the nuts with conference realignment at every turn.

Reaction Score
I don't understand your optimisn. We get kicked in the nuts with conference realignment at every turn.
Things change. Your talking about things that happened ten years ago. Since then, GDF has pretty much been discredited, BC is now on life support and can't win a game in anything anywhere. The ACC's efforts at securing the lucrative Northeast markets are in disaster mode, especially if the Big Ten invites us first. Keeping UConn out the ACC ten years ago really helped them a lot. Lol

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Things change. Your talking about things that happened ten years ago. Since then, GDF has pretty much been discredited, BC is now on life support and can't win a game in anything anywhere. The ACC's efforts at securing the lucrative Northeast markets are in disaster mode, especially if the Big Ten invites us first. Keeping UConn out the ACC ten years ago really helped them a lot. Lol

Love your optimism, but did you spend any time reading our extensive CRA threads posted between roughly April of 2016 through October 2016 when the B12 ended their expansion charade?

The condensed version (skipping many tangent discussions) - situation for the B1G is that we need a partner school which at this stage there is none (can't have an odd number of schools) and the situation for ACC is that maybe we come in as the partner for Irish, but that only happens when the Irish fold on football independence. The second issue after "partner school" problem is $$. I don't see how we can come even close to carrying our weight (ie bringing in the same marginal revenue add to the pot) under the latest media deals. I could see us taking a junior slice for the balance of the current media rights deals, but it still means the other universities would likely be agreeing to a dilutive situation in the long run (ie when the next media deal is negotiated) which is a tough sell. From everything we understand about media rights deals, the math is as simple as cable boxes in the primary state x monthly channel fee for x average household penetration. CT is obviously a small state with 3.5MM people.

The question has always been how much lift can we bring to the NYC/westchester/long island tv market to add to the 3.5MM figure. And we have always argued that the NYC market remains fragmented and is weaker without us in one of two camps. Syracuse + BC + ND + UConn = advantage ACC or Rutty + Penn St + Maryland + UConn = advantage B1G. Either way, I think we tip the balance of power and prestige in NY....which is our best angle for securing a P5 bid....now where is that partner school again?

Reaction Score
Love your optimism, but did you spend any time reading our extensive CRA threads posted between roughly April of 2016 through October 2016 when the B12 ended their expansion charade?

The condensed version (skipping many tangent discussions) - situation for the B1G is that we need a partner school which at this stage there is none (can't have an odd number of schools) and the situation for ACC is that maybe we come in as the partner for Irish, but that only happens when the Irish fold on football independence. The second issue after "partner school" problem is $$. I don't see how we can come even close to carrying our weight (ie bringing in the same marginal revenue add to the pot) under the latest media deals. I could see us taking a junior slice for the balance of the current media rights deals, but it still means the other universities would likely be agreeing to a dilutive situation in the long run (ie when the next media deal is negotiated) which is a tough sell. From everything we understand about media rights deals, the math is as simple as cable boxes in the primary state x monthly channel fee for x average household penetration. CT is obviously a small state with 3.5MM people.

The question has always been how much lift can we bring to the NYC/westchester/long island tv market to add to the 3.5MM figure. And we have always argued that the NYC market remains fragmented and is weaker without us in one of two camps. Syracuse + BC + ND + UConn = advantage ACC or Rutty + Penn St + Maryland + UConn = advantage B1G. Either way, I think we tip the balance of power and prestige in NY....which is our best angle for securing a P5 bid....now where is that partner school again?
Maybe we don't need a partner school right now. Did you consider that the ACC takes us in all sports except football? UCONN football goes independent for a couple years and in the meantime gets a guarantee of seven games against ACC teams, and still gets a piece of the football contract, although smaller than a full fledged member much like what ND gets now. I know we are not ND, but what we bring to the table in men's and women's basketball is our trump card, and makes this work. ND can't touch us in the UCONN basketball brand. In the meantime UCONN is free to cut a new contract with SNY the the remainder of it's football games. In this scenario UCONN football still gets a lot more money than what it will get next year or the year after that in the AAC. Remember that the old Big East money drys up for us next year. The ACC gets what it wants from us and everyone is happy.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
I think both the ACC and Big Ten are fighting over us and that's why we haven't moved yet. They can't decide who's going to strike first. Should be resolved by 2050.

We're Burridan's ass, who starves to death because he's located exactly equidistant between two identical piles of hay, and can't decide which to go to.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Maybe we don't need a partner school right now. Did you consider that the ACC takes us in all sports except football? UCONN football goes independent for a couple years and in the meantime gets a guarantee of seven games against ACC teams, and still gets a piece of the football contract, although smaller than a full fledged member much like what ND gets now. In the meantime UCONN is free to cut a new contract with SNY the the remainder of it's games. In this scenario UCONN football still gets a lot more money than what it will get next year or the year after that in the AAC. The ACC gets what it wants from us and everyone is happy.

Thats an interesting idea. You only take it if we are guaranteed a min # of ACC games for our Football team (say 5) and we are guaranteed to be full football members the earlier of ND's entrance as a full football member or say 7 years. We can't take a deal where football is permanently outside the big P5 pool. The problem will be access to bowl games and if we are permanently in a position without access to an NY6, then recruiting will suffer and independent football will fail and eventually the ACC would push us back out.

Reaction Score
We're Burridan's ass, who starves to death because he's located exactly equidistant between two identical piles of hay, and can't decide which to go to.
Yeah, you're right and Syracuse NY is a megalopolis right between NY and Buffalo. Lol. He can also starve sitting right on top of a pile of hay, look at what's happened to Rutgers men's and women's basketball or BC which can't win a game in anything anywhere. Lol

Reaction Score
Thats an interesting idea. You only take it if we are guaranteed a min # of ACC games for our Football team (say 5) and we are guaranteed to be full football members the earlier of ND's entrance as a full football member or say 7 years. We can't take a deal where football is permanently outside the big P5 pool. The problem will be access to bowl games and if we are permanently in a position without access to an NY6, then recruiting will suffer and independent football will fail and eventually the ACC would push us back out.
Thanks, but please quote my entire post, not just part of it to help make your criticisms.

Reaction Score
The reason I'm blowing my horn on this now is what Benedict said the other day at the top of his lungs. Think about that. Have also heard some things off the board that point to it.

Reaction Score
The reason I'm blowing my horn on this now is what Benedict said the other day at the top of his lungs. Think about that. Have also heard some things off the board that point to it.

Just curious how you are reconciling your horn tooting with this comment from AD Dave Benedict from the other day?

>>"Look at what we've been doing and [a Big East move right now] would be counterproductive," Benedict said. "We are trying to build our football program to get extremely competitive. Right now, the AAC is our best opportunity to grow all our sports.

"No one knows what the future holds. Whether it's the last 10 years or the last 100 years, there is consistent change in college athletics. I wish there was someone who could predict the future, but there isn't. Right now, we are 100 percent committed to our football program and men's and women's basketball, as well as all our sports. Right now, the AAC is our best opportunity to grow all our sports."<<

Reaction Score
Just curious how you are reconciling your horn tooting with this comment from AD Dave Benedict from the other day?

>>"Look at what we've been doing and [a Big East move right now] would be counterproductive," Benedict said. "We are trying to build our football program to get extremely competitive. Right now, the AAC is our best opportunity to grow all our sports.

"No one knows what the future holds. Whether it's the last 10 years or the last 100 years, there is consistent change in college athletics. I wish there was someone who could predict the future, but there isn't. Right now, we are 100 percent committed to our football program and men's and women's basketball, as well as all our sports. Right now, the AAC is our best opportunity to grow all our sports."<<
Well I can't comment on what I know, but will ask you what's his motivation for all of sudden feeling the need to comment very loudly on internet rumors about the Big East??? Why say anything at all? He also knows that old Big East football money drys up after next year, and the AD then has a big short fall in funding. So to say that we're committed to the AAC "unless things change" is curious.

Reaction Score
Well I can't comment on what I know, but will ask you what's his motivation for all of sudden feeling the need to comment very loudly on internet rumors about the Big East??? Why say anything at all? He also knows that old Big East football money drys up after next year, and the AD then has a big short fall in funding. So to say that we're committed to the AAC "unless things change" is curious.

"Why say anything at all"? -- Why let false information continue to fester?

As far as the quote above - he was asked by Jeff Jacobs directly at the Rent/UConn Meet and Greet event the other night and expounded.

I get (and agree with) the never say never angle and sooner or later someone's guess/theory/fantasy may come through and the victory laps will ensure but...

Reaction Score

Just curious where is he quoted as saying "unless things change"?

Reaction Score
"Why say anything at all"? -- Why let false information continue to fester?

As far as the quote above - he was asked by Jeff Jacobs directly at the Rent/UConn Meet and Greet event the other night and expounded.

I get (and agree with) the never say never angle and sooner or later someone's guess/theory/fantasy may come through and the victory laps will ensure but...
Well Jacobs asked him about it the day after DB tweeted about it. Why the tweet about internet rumors? Letting things fester, on the internet? So what. The question I would put to you is why he would care about it festering? I'm done with this, I think you should give it a rest also. :)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Don't make me hate you by posting humor with too much truth in it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom