UConn and the New York Market | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn and the New York Market

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
OK good, maybe it's better I keep my mouth shut for a change. :)
Actually it's best to get this kind of thing off your chest. PM me.

Reaction Score
It would seem to me that with the only current power five member from New England being somewhat irrelevant (small fan base and little success athletically), UConn could deliver a decent chunk of the Boston market in addition to a big chunk of the New York market. That's quite a bonus. I think the Big Ten could find that particularly appealing since (from what I've heard) they have so many alumni in Boston.

Maybe that's another reason we agreed to play in Fenway. Name another college football team which has recently played in yankee stadium and Fenway. Note: I know army game was away, but.......

Reaction Score
Well Jacobs asked him about it the day after DB tweeted about it. Why the tweet about internet rumors? Letting things fester, on the internet? So what. The question I would put to you is why he would care about it festering?

I would imagine he (DB) was getting inundated w/ requests for comment since the Rothstein clickbaits grew multiple legs (internet/print) when it went viral - so they put out a statement to address it. If it's not true and no strategic reason/advantage to have the misinformation out there - correct it. I would also imagine that RE would prefer that in the midst of recruiting for 2018, rumors of the football program floating in the breeze be addressed in some fashion.

CL82

Reaction Score
Well Jacobs asked him about it the day after DB tweeted about it. Why the tweet about internet rumors? Letting things fester, on the internet? So what. The question I would put to you is why he would care about it festering?
The league that bought the Big East name had just denied the rumor. It made sense for UConn to confirm that denial as well.

FWIW, if Athletic Director Dave isn't looking at other options to the AAC, he ought to be fired. That should be job #1.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I look at the disinformation of the Big East as UCONN creating something to stay in the view of the other conferences. The women's ratings, game at Fenway Park, talk of leveraging brand, Olympic Sports facilities, etc is letting the ACC know we won't wait for them and SHOWS Delaney that we are doing what we need to do and giving the Big Ten something they don't have now.

Reaction Score
They are always looking for other options, as evidenced by the attempt to join the Big 12 last year. However, without any movement by other conferences, nothing more will happen and UConn has to accept a home in the AAC until the next round occurs. Unfortunately, UConn is not calling the shots here. AD Dave is doing very well for UConn.

Reaction Score
I look at the disinformation of the Big East as UCONN creating something to stay in the view of the other conferences. The women's ratings, game at Fenway Park, talk of leveraging brand, Olympic Sports facilities, etc is letting the ACC know we won't wait for them and SHOWS Delaney that we are doing what we need to do and giving the Big Ten something they don't have now.
UConn needs AAU and a partner to join the Big Ten. I just don't see it happening for a long long time. Sorry. And UConn will wait for the ACC, the Big 12, or the Big Ten. Whoever calls will get a welcome reception. I would like to know what exactly UConn brings to the Big Ten that they don't have now, other than a top shelf women's basketball team. I am not being negative. I just want to know how you can make a statement like that.

Reaction Score
UConn needs AAU and a partner to join the Big Ten. I just don't see it happening for a long long time. Sorry. And UConn will wait for the ACC, the Big 12, or the Big Ten. Whoever calls will get a welcome reception. I would like to know what exactly UConn brings to the Big Ten that they don't have now, other than a top shelf women's basketball team. I am not being negative. I just want to know how you can make a statement like that.
They bring a four time National Champion men's program, an 11 time National Champion women's program, a solid lock on the Northeast TV market, ticket sales and TV ratings for women's basketball throughout the conference that would increase about 500%, a smaller increase but still considerable for men's basketball in the conference, a Big Ten Network that would see itself regularly beat ESPN in various time slots, a women's contract with CBS for milestone games like UCONN playing at the RAC again. How's that for starters? For football, a growing foothold in the NY, Hartford, Boston corridor. I know they don't help out the Big Ten as much as they help the floundering ACC in the Northeast, but what they do bring is considerable. That being said the Big Ten might want us just to keep the ACC from getting us.

Last edited:

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Lol. Try 2017 Matt, they want those NY and Boston ratings like now. Especially the ACC, BC is on life support and can't win a game anywhere. Why do you think Dave Benedict went apesh!t over the Big East rumors? Obviously someones feathers got ruffled and something was already in the early stages. He was telling the truth when he said he had no discussions with the Big East, but his outburst makes me wonder if he or his bosses had been having discussions with the ACC or the Big Ten. Both league's want men's and women's basketball, and the New York/Boston markets. Ratings on UCONN women's games are through the roof no matter where they play and the men's games on SNY almost always beat the competition on ESPN, Fox, and NBC and CBS.
What throughout entire conference realignment ordeal could ever make you think this is the likely scenario in any way, shape, or form.

CL82

Reaction Score
They bring a four time National Champion men's program, an 11 time National Champion women's program, a solid lock on the Northeast TV market, ticket sales and TV ratings for women's basketball throughout the conference that would increase about 500%, a smaller increase but still considerable for men's basketball in the conference, a Big Ten Network that would see itself regularly beat ESPN in various time slots, a women's contract with CBS for milestone games like UCONN playing at the RAC again. How's that for starters? For football, a growing foothold in the NY, Hartford, Boston corridor. I know they don't help out the Big Ten as much as they help the floundering ACC in the Northeast, but what they do bring is considerable. That being said the Big Ten might want us just to keep the ACC from getting us.
I want to be with you on this brother, I truly do. So walk me to that next step. How exactly do those fact make the Big 10 money? The only vaguely plausible scenario I can come up with is the bottom dropping out of TV money so that the bulk of earnings come through individual networks. If that happens UConn's potential fans (3M in state, and 11M overall) might just make it worthwhile. That's a ways off, entirely speculative and would be at a far lower dollar amount.

Reaction Score
I want to be with you on this brother, I truly do. So walk me to that next step. How exactly do those fact make the Big 10 money? The only vaguely plausible scenario I can come up with is the bottom dropping out of TV money so that the bulk of earnings come through individual networks. If that happens UConn's potential fans (3M in state, and 11M overall) might just make it worthwhile. That's a ways off, entirely speculative and would be at a far lower dollar amount.
Simple...A big increase in ratings and ticket sales for women's basketball especially, men's basketball and yes even football. Not just in the critical Northeast market but over ALL Big Ten markets. With UCONN'S addition, the Big Ten Network instantly becomes a threat to ESPN and it's relationship with the ACC.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
With UCONN'S addition, the Big Ten Network instantly becomes a threat to ESPN and it's relationship with the ACC.

Really? You don't think that's kind of a leap?

A school with 350,000 living alumni located in a state with 2 mill (give or take) TV households would put the BTN- a network with obvious limited appeal showing second rate sports events- on par with a network owned by a multi-billion dollar corporate giant that literally has claimed an entire region in Florida, not to mention is internationally relevant?

I love UConn, but you're overestimating our impact on the potential increase of the BTN's market share that our addition would bring.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Simple...A big increase in ratings and ticket sales for women's basketball especially, men's basketball and yes even football. Not just in the critical Northeast market but over ALL Big Ten markets. With UCONN'S addition, the Big Ten Network instantly becomes a threat to ESPN and it's relationship with the ACC.

I want to start by saying I want UConn in the Big10. I think you add a lot to the entire Big10 picture. I love your bball program and Connecticut is a very underrated state for football (Michigan pulled three Connecticut recruits this past cycle and there's a good chance that all three might not redshirt). You are one of the only public schools in the NE that is like a Big10 school already. Many Big10 fans wished we would have taken UConn over Rutgers back in 2011.

That being said, I don't see the huge uptick in viewership across all Big10 markets. Would UConn's women basketball be a draw? Absolutely, but not the ratings draw across the Big10 markets as you would portray. Football? I'm sorry, but football would not be a ratings boost anywhere in the Big10 except for NYC/NE. I may not understand New England very well, but I do understand Big10 football and they wouldn't be a ratings boost in any Midwestern state. Big10 loves their traditions and traditional powers and UConn isn't one. I'm not saying UConn can't compete in the Big10, especially after a few years, but the excitement level of playing UConn just wouldn't be there.

What UConn would do for the Big10 is twofold: basketball and NYC/NE exposure. More games in that area equals more recruitment of the general student population. While the Big10 is down in basketball this year (looking at you Indiana and MSU), it is a pretty good mens basketball conference. UConn would make it that much better. You are a traditional men's and women's power that fans would love to play.

While I want UConn to come to the Big10, they would need a partner or partners to make it happen. I just don't see it any other way.

CL82

Reaction Score
Ticket sales? For less than one game a year in venues that range from 8k to 19K? I don't think that is moving the meter. On the WBB side, UConn elevates any league it joins but that doesn't move the meter more than a flicker in football country. Compare that to stadium capacity which ranges from 49k to 109k and you'd see that benefit of a potentially packed basketball game is outweighed by the potential of a half empty football stadium.

Now I agree that UConn would certainly help with the Big 10 Network by increasing the price that they could charge in Connecticut. So what's the value of that increase, maybe as much as $5M/year? It's not nothing, but the meter still isn't jumping all that much. Where UConn does bring value is in ad revenue, but so long as that isn't the major source of revenue, we still aren't bringing that meter to the red.

I'd love to be a part of the B10 and I think we'd fit in well and eventually be very successful but I just don't see the revenue we'd bring justifying an invitation.

Now add to that that we aren't AAU and the current disenchantment with playing Rutgers among fans and things aren't looking good.

Reaction Score
Or...it continues a stalemate and no one takes us. Remember, winning doesn't matter in CR. I don't see that the ACC is floundering in the Northeast either. Thank ESPN for promoting them like no other conference.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Buddy, where do you live? I thought you were a FL guy.

I live on the NY/CT metro and my personal experience is that since the demise of the old BIG East, college basketball and college football too have lost a good deal of mojo in the NYC metro area. Football has never been unified around here as we all know, but basketball was relatively unified in the old BIG East. The passion around my office for Syracuse/UConn/St Johns/Villanova/Providence/Pitt/Georgetown was fantastic. When the BIG East became all catholic a lot of passion left the room...in fact, almost all the passion. Its a nice conference, but no one talks about it anymore. I'm not saying that as a CT guy, as there are more Syracuse alums in my office than UConn. The ACC has hardly filled the vacuum, nor has the B1G ten. Rutty (with its legacy of losing) and Syracuse (no local rivals) have gained zero ground...absolutely none...since UConn was left for dead. The whole area is weaker than it was before. Put UConn in one of these two conferences and the NYC fan interest will really increase for basketball and all sports. NYC is a college sports stew and it no longer tastes good because UConn was a primary ingredient that has been left out. Put in back in.

Reaction Score
Rutgers is becoming the "birthplace of college soccer". Very interesting (and nice).

BC is about close to the actual birthplace of college (American) football that the FBS will get to the foreseeable future. Bottom line, New England is gaining in prominence, once again. No idea how it was forgotten.

Reaction Score
Buddy, where do you live? I thought you were a FL guy.

I live on the NY/CT metro and my personal experience is that since the demise of the old BIG East, college basketball and college football too have lost a good deal of mojo in the NYC metro area. Football has never been unified around here as we all know, but basketball was relatively unified in the old BIG East. The passion around my office for Syracuse/UConn/St Johns/Villanova/Providence/Pitt/Georgetown was fantastic. When the BIG East became all catholic a lot of passion left the room...in fact, almost all the passion. Its a nice conference, but no one talks about it anymore. I'm not saying that as a CT guy, as there are more Syracuse alums in my office than UConn. The ACC has hardly filled the vacuum, nor has the B1G ten. Rutty (with its legacy of losing) and Syracuse (no local rivals) have gained zero ground...absolutely none...since UConn was left for dead. The whole area is weaker than it was before. Put UConn in one of these two conferences and the NYC fan interest will really increase for basketball and all sports. NYC is a college sports stew and it no longer tastes good because UConn was a primary ingredient that has been left out. Put in back in.
I am a UConn graduate living in NYC.

Reaction Score

There would also be areas of academic research which would be part of the package.

Reaction Score
Really? You don't think that's kind of a leap?

A school with 350,000 living alumni located in a state with 2 mill (give or take) TV households would put the BTN- a network with obvious limited appeal showing second rate sports events- on par with a network owned by a multi-billion dollar corporate giant that literally has claimed an entire region in Florida, not to mention is internationally relevant?

I love UConn, but you're overestimating our impact on the potential increase of the BTN's market share that our addition would bring.
OK then explain why the UCONN men (not even talking here about the women) on SNY, consistently out draw ESPN, Espn2, and ESPN U and the games they're broadcasting, and I'm not even talking about the state of CT. The West Virginia or Tech boards had some comparison numbers that they put up last week. I think there were numbers for the UCONN women as well.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
OK then explain why the UCONN men (not even talking here about the women) on SNY, consistently out draw ESPN, Espn2, and ESPN U and the games they're broadcasting, and I'm not even talking about the state of CT. The West Virginia or Tech boards had some comparison numbers that they put up last week. I think there were numbers for the UCONN women as well.

So UConn drawing well on SNY means the BTN would be able to rival ESPN as an entertainment option if the Big Ten were to add us? That's a leap.

TV companies make their money on ad revenue (and carriage fees). Keeping in mind that the BTN is not the primary outlet for Big Ten events, who is paying ESPN ad prices to run a 30 second spot on the UConn-Northwestern women's volleyball game on the BTN? Hell, a UConn-Northwestern men's basketball game that is only available from Connecticut to Nebraska and Minnesota to Maryland?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So UConn drawing well on SNY means the BTN would be able to rival ESPN as an entertainment option if the Big Ten were to add us? That's a leap.

TV companies make their money on ad revenue (and carriage fees). Keeping in mind that the BTN is not the primary outlet for Big Ten events, who is paying ESPN ad prices to run a 30 second spot on the UConn-Northwestern women's volleyball game on that network? Hell, a UConn-Northwestern men's basketball game that is only available from Connecticut to Nebraska and Minnesota to Maryland?
I see your point on Volleyball, but if it's women's basketball the revenue in ALL big ten markets would definitely see a huge bump, and if it's an away game in Northwestern's gym, it would probably be their first sellout in 10 years. That would breath a lot of life into a program that consistently loses money, has a bare bones recruiting budget, etc. Now if you're Jim Delaney you multiply that effect by the 12 or so teams in the league. The Yankees wouldn't be in town, but Geno and his girls would be. Look at the big picture, OK? Also remember that the BTN is a national cable outlet with millions of Big Ten alums around the country. UCONN men's basketball could have a lesser but similar effect. DB even said last week he is working overtime to find ways of turning the UCONN'S women's programs success into a steady revenue stream for the AD.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I see your point on Volleyball, but if it's women's basketball the revenue in ALL big ten markets would definitely see a huge bump, and if it's an away game in Northwestern's gym, it would probably be their first sellout in 10 years. That would breath a lot of life into a program that consistently loses money, has a bare bones recruiting budget, etc. Now if you're Jim Delaney you multiply that effect by the 12 or so teams in the league. The Yankees wouldn't be in town, but Geno and his girls would be. Look at the big picture, OK? Also remember that the BTN is a national cable outlet with millions of Big Ten alums around the country. UCONN men's basketball could have a lesser but similar effect.

Did you just get started thinking about UConn and CRA a month ago?

Reaction Score
Did you just get started thinking about UConn and CRA a month ago?
No, just an optimist. Lol. I know CR has broken our hearts in the past, that being said I think fans will be rewarded sooner than many think and preach on this board. Could be ACC or Big Ten. It won't be the Big 12, that much I know. It's irrelevant if it's the BTN or an ESPN channel carrying the game, the effect is the same, all because of ratings and demand.

Last edited:

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I hope you're right, huskyrob. I hope you know something I don't. But I just can't agree with you on why you think UConn makes sense for the Big Ten.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom