UConn and the New York Market | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn and the New York Market

Reaction Score
Saying you're unhappy with being part of the Big Ten is comparable to Brown or Columbia saying they are unhappy with being part of the Ivy League.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
It's adorable that people are still posting about the Big Ten inviting UConn.
My only thought to all this analysis and optimism is that if anyone influential on the inside regarding conference realignment, even just one single person, felt like many do regarding UConn's potential in the NYC market and the Big 10, then simply put we would be in the Big 10 today and not Rutgers.

The Big 10 taking Rutgers for all the reasons that are supposed to be UConn's strength tells me the Big 10 shut the door on us back in 2011. If that move wasn't a bucket of ice water splashing you in the face then I don't know what to say.

Reaction Score
I know that was seven years ago, but it shows that the Big10 was at one time, interested in the plains schools.

Nebraska was assumed to be a front runner ahead of Michigan State when Michigan State was eventually selected as #10 (after Chicago withdrew).

So there's been interest in the Plains, but my thought there was on Michigan State. Michigan State College did a remarkable job in improving their academic stature to catch the eye of the Big Ten. Obviously not AAU at the time. Reminds me a little of someone else...

Reaction Score
The Big 10 taking Rutgers for all the reasons that are supposed to be UConn's strength tells me the Big 10 shut the door on us back in 2011. If that move wasn't a bucket of ice water splashing you in the face then I don't know what to say.

To make Connecticut "contiguous", the Big Ten first had to add NJ, then an office in NYC. Patience young grasshopper.

New Jersey has 9 million people (with a lot of high school football talent in the mix), and makes Maryland feel little less of an outlier. We from Michigan like New Jersey, and thank them for lending us some of their talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: pj

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Rutgers beat us to the Big Ten when the borders for the original thirteen colonies were drawn up.

Everything they've done since then has been an abject failure, but their 1-0 edge in cartography was all they needed.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
The Big 10 will claim contiguity matters, until a big enough fish displays interest in joining... If UT called up tomorrow and asked for membership they would act like the rule never existed.

Reaction Score
Rutgers beat us to the Big Ten when the borders for the original thirteen colonies were drawn up.

Everything they've done since then has been an abject failure, but their 1-0 edge in cartography was all they needed.

Yup. The only on field battle that mattered to conference realignment was 300 years ago when the Connecticut settlers in the Wilkes Barre -- Scranton area lost their mini-war and CT lost what is now northern PA to PA. Had we won that game, we would be in the Big Ten today.

Reaction Score
To make Connecticut "contiguous", the Big Ten first had to add NJ, then an office in NYC. Patience young grasshopper.

New Jersey has 9 million people (with a lot of high school football talent in the mix), and makes Maryland feel little less of an outlier. We from Michigan like New Jersey, and thank them for lending us some of their talent.
You from Michigan ought to thank CT for lending some of our talent as well,....

Ben Mason, Tarik Black, Andrew Stueber....All will play there in the Fall.

Reaction Score
It really was a self inflicted wound when CT ceded the Western Reserve (now northeastern Ohio) back to the US as part of the old Northwest Territory (even after losing the Pennsylvania portion, there was the end in Ohio that was still recognized as part of CT), we could've beaten Penn State to the punch in the 90s!

Reaction Score
Ctwestclaims.png

(Image from Connecticut Western Reserve - Wikipedia)

We got 1.2 million in 1796 for it in 1796. Presumably we put that cash to good use. (Please keep snarky comments about the current CT government spending in the Cesspool :) )

Cleveland CT? Youngstown CT? One can only dream.

Reaction Score
You from Michigan ought to thank CT for lending some of our talent as well,....

Ben Mason, Tarik Black, Andrew Stueber....All will play there in the Fall.

I realized that shortly after saying it. @dayooper cited Connecticut talent not too long ago. Thank you.

In the first meeting at Rutgers, Michigan had 9 players or recruits from NJ, including Jabrill Peppers and Rashan Gary. I would like to think that we put a dent in Penn State's recruiting there, but somehow Penn State has been loading up anyway.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Get your facts straight, we do have a volleyball team, they play in the Fall.
We watched them play at Tulane after the football game. They sold craft beer.

Reaction Score
I realized that shortly after saying it. @dayooper cited Connecticut talent not too long ago. Thank you.

In the first meeting at Rutgers, Michigan had 9 players or recruits from NJ, including Jabrill Peppers and Rashan Gary. I would like to think that we put a dent in Penn State's recruiting there, but somehow Penn State has been loading up anyway.
Actually Michigan alone almost took four kids from CT. They recruited CJ Holmes out of Cheshire really hard but he committed to Notre Dame. Mason also wasn't the only kid from Newtown to get a major college offer, one of his teammates committed to BYU IIRC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom