UConn #13 in latest AP poll | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn #13 in latest AP poll

Reaction Score
Polls are often subject to whims and conjectures that Uconn has no control over. I like to see Uconn at 8 or 9, but i don't really care about polls as they don't show the true strength of a team, other than on paper. The only poll that counts is the last one. I will wait for it and will not be surprised if Uconn is NO 1.GO FRESHMEN!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Perspective-last week, we had 469 points, this week we have 487 so we gained 18 points. KSU had 519 last week, has 513 this week and lost 6 points and had games against Oklahoma and Texas this week.

Stop acting all "conspiracy theory" as given we lost a key piece of our team, the voters still voted for us. Give Virginia Tech credit for beating a team we couldn't. That was by far their best win and given how inconsistent they have been, I expect a loss to a middling ACC team to occur.
“Perspective”?! This is the Boneyard you're talking to. We offer 31 flavors of outrage but perspective was dropped from the menu a while back :D:rolleyes:

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
UConn beat Marquette & Creighton but their NET rankings are #39 & #26 respectively.
Some voters may not think that they should even be in the top 25.

UConn lost so much depth due to Aubrey's injury that Shade ended up playing 39 minutes against Georgetown.

Reaction Score
This poll is a complete joke We lost to 3 top teams and have won more games against top teams then any other team infront of us in the polls. The pollsters are not doing their homework. Theyre going through the motions. We need a Boneyard poll or you can just use my top 10 poll which I havent put out yet. UConn is a different team now and much better then the team that they were in those losses. Right now I feel UConn is a top 5 team.
Here's my ranking. It's based on a forecasting method and it's very UConn-centric in the sense that I asked myself who I thought the Huskies could conceivably defeat in March on the basis of what we're seeing now. Teams above I think UConn more likely than not wouldn't beat, and those below they would beat (more likely than not). There's lots of room for upsets here, and some teams, like ND, probably deserve a higher ranking but for injuries that may not be season long. That is, if Citron, Prosper and Westbeld are up to speed in a few weeks, they probably belong much higher. Net rankings in parentheses.
  1. SC (1)
  2. UCLA (5)
  3. Stanford (2)
  4. LSU (16)
  5. Texas (3)
  6. NC St (10)
  7. Va Tech (15)
  8. UConn (4)
  9. IU (11)
  10. Iowa (7)
  11. Baylor (8)
  12. USC (13)
  13. K St (9)
  14. Colorado (19)
  15. Michigan St (14)
  16. tOSU (17)
  17. Utah (6)
  18. Gonzaga (18)
  19. ND (12)
  20. Ore St. (21)
And a side note, I put NC St and Texas above UConn because they've already won games against UConn. But one might argue that they wouldn't repeat.

Reaction Score
I can't see why folks are surprised. VaTech had a super win against a previously unbeaten team. UConn lost a key player, probably for the season.

As others have noted, if UConn continues to win convincingly, and especially in the highly unlikely (IMHO) case that they topple South Carolina, the rankings will take care of themselves.

Right now, UConn's injures make it such a flawed team that I figure we should just take the season one game at a time, hope for the best, pray for no more injuries, and not worry about the other teams or rankings.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Stop acting all "conspiracy theory" as given we lost a key piece of our team, the voters still voted for us. Give Virginia Tech credit for beating a team we couldn't. That was by far their best win and given how inconsistent they have been, I expect a loss to a middling ACC team to occur.
On that note, Virginia Tech's next 3 games are Miami, FSU and Duke. Remember that ACC teams are contractually obligated to hand out “quality wins” to each other like it's a Sunday potluck. That's the only thing that can explain NC State's abysmal 4th quarter collapse and nonexistent defense on the winning play
:cool:
Just give Virginia Tech a week or so and they'll be due for their next egg casserole dish.

Reaction Score
Another way to look at it is are there 12 teams out there that you think UCONN can’t beat?

Reaction Score
Well, ESPN power rankings have y'all at 8. See ESPN doesn't hate y'all. At least not as much as the rest of the nation's sports journalists.

But again, only the NET realy matters and you are back in one seed territory there.
If only the NET really matters (I agree), then what does this say about the human pollsters?

Reaction Score
These rankings mean absolutely nothing, and until we actually beat someone ranked higher than us we won't move up. Beating teams ranked beneath us is what's suppose to happen!

Reaction Score
The weaker because of the projected loss of Aubrey doesn’t see to wash if you compare it with Harmon and Texas. Heck with the rankings, lace ‘em up and play and we’ll deal with our opponents come tourney time, one game at a time.

Reaction Score
Here's my ranking. It's based on a forecasting method and it's very UConn-centric in the sense that I asked myself who I thought the Huskies could conceivably defeat in March on the basis of what we're seeing now. Teams above I think UConn more likely than not wouldn't beat, and those below they would beat (more likely than not). There's lots of room for upsets here, and some teams, like ND, probably deserve a higher ranking but for injuries that may not be season long. That is, if Citron, Prosper and Westbeld are up to speed in a few weeks, they probably belong much higher. Net rankings in parentheses.
  1. SC (1)
  2. UCLA (5)
  3. Stanford (2)
  4. LSU (16)
  5. Texas (3)
  6. NC St (10)
  7. Va Tech (15)
  8. UConn (4)
  9. IU (11)
  10. Iowa (7)
  11. Baylor (8)
  12. USC (13)
  13. K St (9)
  14. Colorado (19)
  15. Michigan St (14)
  16. tOSU (17)
  17. Utah (6)
  18. Gonzaga (18)
  19. ND (12)
  20. Ore St. (21)
And a side note, I put NC St and Texas above UConn because they've already won games against UConn. But one might argue that they wouldn't repeat.
I think UConn could conceivably defeat any team besides SC and UCLA in March right now. If they had Aubrey, I think they could conceivably be any team. To me conceivably mean you could imagine a world where they could win. I don't think Stanford -> V tech that its inconceivable that they could lose to any team in the top 25.

That been said I think 8 is about right right now for UConn sans #44 sadly. I think match up wise I'd swap Vtech with Iowa and maybe put Kstate above us match up wise as well.

I do think you highly over rate Michigan State who lost to Creighton by over 20 at home.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Stop acting all "conspiracy theory" as given we lost a key piece of our team, the voters still voted for us.
Is that how the rankings work? Voters decide what the future impact of injuries will be and then change the ranking accordingly?

Reaction Score
These rankings mean absolutely nothing, and until we actually beat someone ranked higher than us we won't move up. Beating teams ranked beneath us is what's suppose to happen!
We only play one team ranked higher than us the rest of the season. By this logic, #13 is our ceiling.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
On that note, Virginia Tech's next 3 games are Miami, FSU and Duke. Remember that ACC teams are contractually obligated to hand out “quality wins” to each other like it's a Sunday potluck. That's the only thing that can explain NC State's abysmal 4th quarter collapse and nonexistent defense on the winning play
:cool:
Just give Virginia Tech a week or so and they'll be due for their next egg casserole dish.
NC State was without an injured River Baldwin

Reaction Score
Yep. The Huskies are seen as weaker without Aubrey. Voters are remembering last year.

I don't necessarily think that's the case. I'm honestly not sure if half the voters know who Aubrey is or that she's hurt.

I just think they (incorrectly) viewed VT as having a more impressive week because of the win over NC State and therefore they bumped VT over UConn. Nobody else above them lost games outside the Top 12/13.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The coaches poll will be even worse. But at this point, UCONN is very close to, if not in, as a 2 seed. Keep taking care of business and we should solidly be a 2 seed when the season ends.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom