OT: - UCLA narrowing in on Dixon and Cronin | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: UCLA narrowing in on Dixon and Cronin

Reaction Score
If you’re UCLA, how do you end up here?

They’re going to trip over an $8,000,000 buyout trying to hire the likes of Jaime Dixon?

UCLA has always been one of the most overrated gigs in the country, but this is setting that in stone.
This is just embarrassing. Why would TCU or any school reduce a buyout to let another school take their coach?

Reaction Score
UCLA can't even afford to buy out Jamie Dixon? That is pathetic. It's bad enough they were down to him and Cronin. At what point does Pitino start to look pretty good? Feel like it doesn't get much lower than this.

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
UCLA can't even afford to buy out Jamie Dixon? That is pathetic. It's bad enough they were down to him and Cronin. At what point does Pitino start to look pretty good? Feel like it doesn't get much lower than this.

Oh no.

It gets lower.

Reaction Score
Oh no.

It gets lower.
I mean, I'm definitely down for that. Should be fun to follow. Just trying to imagine how bad this board would be if our school had pulled any of this weak and cheap BS during our coaching search last year.

Reaction Score
I mean, I'm definitely down for that. Should be fun to follow. Just trying to imagine how bad this board would be if our school had pulled any of this weak and cheap BS during our coaching search last year.
well, in a roundabout way they did pull it.

Reaction Score
USAT: UCLA gets reality check as coaching search again missing out on elite hire

>>The bottom line for UCLA is that short of landing Calipari, Bennett or Rick Pitino (which isn’t happening for a variety of reasons), the rest of its candidate pool was always going to be in the solid/boring mold of Dixon or Cronin.

That should be good enough for most schools in college basketball because, at the end of the day, those are quality coaches who will improve the product. But it doesn’t scream that UCLA is still an elite-level job.

“It’s one of the most respected brands in college basketball, but is it at the level of Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas?” a person familiar with the coaching search industry said on the condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the subject. “No, but it’s the next tier down Arizona, Syracuse, Michigan, Indiana.” <<

Reaction Score

It's not that they can't afford it. Didn't they offer Cal 48 million? They are just very, very stupid. Honestly Dixon isn't worth the 8 million buy out anyways when they have better options.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
If we were unable to get Hurley, I would have loved to go after Pitino. I know that's probably an unpopular opinion on here. Maybe that's selling my soul to the devil a bit too much. But it would have been our best chance at staying relevant, perhaps.

This is assuming that Tom Crean caliber was truly our next best option.

I totally would have at all. It’s college sports I don’t care about ethics, as long as there’s no like violent guys in the program

Reaction Score
My guess is with the Nba season over this week Luke Walton may be the guy(or another nba guy). Played in pac12, knows the area, etc. Jump ship from the Lakers with their blessing? Hard to believe that Dixon stuff was ever serious. They knew he had the buyout, and why would Tcu let that go. When you let a guy go midseason, you can't just bring in an unknown to the area, league, etc unless it's a blockbuster like a Cal.

Reaction Score
My guess is with the Nba season over this week Luke Walton may be the guy(or another nba guy). Played in pac12, knows the area, etc. Jump ship from the Lakers with their blessing? Hard to believe that Dixon stuff was ever serious. They knew he had the buyout, and why would Tcu let that go. When you let a guy go midseason, you can't just bring in an unknown to the area, league, etc unless it's a blockbuster like a Cal.
Yeah, it's crazy. they had 3 months to find a candidate and they wind up with Cronin and Dixon.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
I happen to know an ex-coach from LA who has a national championship, which is more than UCLA can say for itself over the last 20 years.

Reaction Score
So relieved each day I read about all these coaching carousel/searches, that we got rid of KO when we did. Dan Hurley would have been an afterthought had we not pulled the trigger when we did, and we would’ve now been one more year deeper into status quo irrelevancy, while trying to compete for a quality coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom