OT: - UCLA narrowing in on Dixon and Cronin | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: UCLA narrowing in on Dixon and Cronin

Reaction Score
It's amazing that UCLA can't do better. That is a really sad list
They also offered Coach Cal and he rejected pretty quickly and are going after Tony Bennett of Virginia (he told them to wait until after his team finishes), Eric Musselmen, Luke Walton. Thad Matta spoke with UCLA but latter withdrew his name.

Think it’s all money. Seems like UCLA can and is willing to outpay almost any program.
Except for Kentucky of course. They went after Cal, he basically told them No, in so many words. Kentucky is paying more.
UCLA never should have gotten rid of Howland, he got them to 3 final4's and was doing a great job of recru$ting.
Yah, but then he slowly lost control of the team after that. Remember Nelson in 2012? The guy basically tried to hurt his own players. After 2008 they did not advance past the first weekend until he was fired in 2013 after losing to 11th seeded Minnesota in the first round. Didn't even make the tourney in 2010 or 2012. After initial success the team was in a downward trajectory IMO. Plus transfers were Ollie level, he had something like a dozen kids leave over the course of the last 4 or 5 years of his tenure and there were further rumblings from what I recall for the next year (the year he ended up being fired). It is super crazy to think it is okay to fire a coach after 3 final fours in a row, I would say even impossible. I never thought it would be possible but this is a rare case where I think it had to be done. Hard to imagine Howland climbing out of what he had done from the 2008-09 season to the 2012-13 season and not sure how he could have reversed course after those final fours ... but he somehow did reverse course. Very odd story indeed.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I wonder if KO is on the radar? Is he even eligible to work will the litigation is ongoing?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Is UCLA even a top tier job anymore?

Sort of. But it's a very unappealing one in some ways. The pressure is high, nobody in LA actually cares anymore, the cost of living around Westwood makes Manhattan look cheap and taxes are insane. There are certain guys who fit, but a ton, like Gregg Marshall, who would never want that job.

If people think Mick and Dixon aren't good names, who do you think is leaving their current job for UCLA? Let's hear some names. Chris Beard? Not.

Reaction Score
Sort of. But it's a very unappealing one in some ways. The pressure is high, nobody in LA actually cares anymore, the cost of living around Westwood makes Manhattan look cheap and taxes are insane. There are certain guys who fit, but a ton, like Gregg Marshall, who would never want that job.

If people think Mick and Dixon aren't good names, who do you think is leaving their current job for UCLA? Let's hear some names. Chris Beard? Not.
Well, like I said, apparently they are trying to reach Bennett. Not that it means much, but they are going after him. Who knows if he even entertains it. I would stay at Virginia but that's just me..

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I wonder if KO is on the radar? Is he even eligible to work will the litigation is ongoing?
I think KO has pretty much shot himself in the foot as far as his college coaching career is concerned. The discrimination tack he has taken with his lawsuit won't sit well with many ADs or university Presidents.

Reaction Score
UCLA short list: no particular order

Dan Hurley
JOhnny Dawkins
Kelvin Sanction
Musselmen

Reaction Score
I get UCLA has fallen off but both Cronin and Dixon seem to have ceilings as to how far they can take a team. They both always seem to hit a wall even if their talent in a particular year would have you think they should go further.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Would hate to see Mick leave the conference. For all the crap we give him on his tournament performances, He’s a great coach.
Great? I'll give him very good for having a consistent winning program year after year. In 13 years having one sweet sixteen appearance, two regular season championships and two conference tournament championships does not denote greatness.

Reaction Score
Odd, the other day I was hearing all over FS1 how UCLA isn’t going for a big name looking for a fast rebuild, moreso going for a full re-establishment of the program; and they are looking for some in-family blood to do so. Heard Earl Watson interviewed well FWIW

And that makes it that much stranger that Mick Freakin Cronin is some kind of finalist for this job. Is he that much better an option than an alum that could at least stir up alumni buzz and probably recruit well?

Reaction Score
Dixon?

The concept - by California - is once you’re a CALIFORNIAN, you’ll always choose to live there - if you have ample income. Dixon is a Californian. No LA native could ever conceive choosing Fort Worth over West LA or Westwood. We shall see

Then. I’d think Howlands experiences weigh heavy on Jamie Dixon’s mind.

Reaction Score
Bahahahahahahahaha...

I mean, probably good news for you Kobe, but that’s a load of junk for UCLA if true.

Do you have faith in your AD to make a smart hire if Cronin does leave?

Based on his hire of Luke Fickell, i'd trust him. That was a home run. I saw a day or two ago on the transfer wire he grabbed a db from Alabama. Evidently the kid was playing special teams but has 2 years left. The impressive thing is the kid is actually from Alabama, LOL. The good thing about Cincy now is they have a new arena.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Based on his hire of Luke Fickell, i'd trust him. That was a home run. I saw a day or two ago on the transfer wire he grabbed a db from Alabama. Evidently the kid was playing special teams but has 2 years left. The good thing about Cincy now is they have a new arena.

the women's basketball hire he just made also looks to be good. she took us to 23-10 and an WNIT semi-final appearance in year 1 and returns basically the whole team. think NCAA's might be a reasonable goal next year

people were lauding him for the baseball hire too (stole him from Xavier) but idk doesn't seem to be paying off yet.

I'm confident he can make a good hire and the new arena helps a lot too.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Is UCLA even a top tier job anymore?

It's got that LA mentality, of just assuming that everyone really wants to be there, like the Lakers.

Reaction Score
They just need a good coach. The program recruits itself. Even in their terrible years they are flush with top 100 kids. Cronin would probably be very good there but it is just an uninspiring pick. I'd go with Musselman or Walton.

Reaction Score
texas is a bunch of pansies. $10M didn't stop Uconn.
texas has more money than just about anyone. if they thought they had a guy they wanted, they'd pay the buyout with no hesitation.

Reaction Score
UCLA as a top job is a myth. This is like their third hire where they will be proving that they are a mid-level P5 job. Not sure why that is ... but at this point it’s certain.

Reaction Score
UCLA as a top job is a myth. This is like their third hire where they will be proving that they are a mid-level P5 job. Not sure why that is ... but at this point it’s certain.
it's a premiere job. there have been headaches in the athletic department in the past but it seems like they're changing course on that.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
UCLA is always just a good hire away from being a top 10, maybe top 5 team perennially. Too much legacy, location, extended fan base, weather, location to ignore.

That's just a sleeping giant waiting for someone to wake them up.

Just as an example, if they had been able to lure Calipari, he would have an easier time recruiting there than Kentucky.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He's definitely not gonna be the leading candidate. I think that has to be Brannen but Van Exel has expressed interest in college coaching and likely will be considered. Whether that's right or wrong idk...leaning towards wrong.

I mean Vandy just hired Stackhouse lmao. Crazy things are happening rn.

If Stack can recruit at Vandy while overcoming their admissions, watch out - the guy is basketball through and through and as I said before, kids love the guy - like Penny H

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
UCLA is always just a good hire away from being a top 10, maybe top 5 team perennially. Too much legacy, location, extended fan base, weather, location to ignore.

That's just a sleeping giant waiting for someone to wake them up.

Just as an example, if they had been able to lure Calipari, he would have an easier time recruiting there than Kentucky.

I agree, but why are they having such a hard time attracting candidates? A job you are describing--again I agree on that description--should have every coach in America (outside of 15 or so) lined up at the door.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom