OT: - UCLA narrowing in on Dixon and Cronin | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: UCLA narrowing in on Dixon and Cronin

Reaction Score
Mick Cronin getting the job and immediately taking UCLA to the Final Four would be hilarious.
@kobe I get that you've been over the guy for a little while now, but what about the rest of the fan base? How safe is Cronin if he does nothing but win one NCAA game per year and win a conference championship every third year or so?

Because this seriously makes no sense from the standpoint that UCLA would hire someone with the relative mediocrity Cronin brings at a seemingly lower-expectations program like Cincinnati...

which brings me to my second point, doesn't the guy have an aneurysm? The two above questions ultimately fold in to: what is Cronin doing even looking at a job like UCLA from a stress-inducing standpoint?

Reaction Score
I agree, but why are they having such a hard time attracting candidates? A job you are describing--again I agree on that description--should have every coach in America (outside of 15 or so) lined up at the door.
As I said earlier ITT, I heard it hinted a bunch on FS1 that UCLA aren't looking for a big splash-name hire; that they're trying to legitimately rebuild with an alum who can really get that fan base engaged. Unfortunately with MLB starting, NFL free agency and draft prep, NBA prepping for the post season, and the tournament happening, it hasn't been a huge story.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
As I said earlier ITT, I heard it hinted a bunch on FS1 that UCLA aren't looking for a big splash-name hire; that they're trying to legitimately rebuild with an alum who can really get that fan base engaged. Unfortunately with MLB starting, NFL free agency and draft prep, NBA prepping for the post season, and the tournament happening, it hasn't been a huge story.

Dunno why they are so obsessed with home grown. It's rarely a successful strategy, unless the coach is already top notch (a la Roy Williams). Why wouldn't someone want to hire the best candidate available? Makes no sense to me.

I mean, if you hire a great coach, a top coach, people are probably going to get excited. Hell, I'd wager that in LA, people will start to get excited if you start winning. LA is a front runner city. Just the nature of the beast out there.

Reaction Score
So say you’re a Cincy fan, your head coach can’t get your team out of even the round of 32 and nearly every off-season his name is not only linked to other possible jobs but the perception is that he’s interested in them (hell he even took one, right? UNLV, but he backed out if memory serves?) I guess each time you breathe a sigh of relief, I know I did when Calhoun considered the South Carolina job* (although that seemed maybe less serious), but also each time that sigh must get a little shorter and more resembling a sigh of exasperation. Must wear on a fan base.

*looking back, might’ve been quite alright if KO had delivered us a championship and then moved on to an NBA job, again I can’t quite recall how serious the overtures were if any. Who would’ve been open in that window if it came to that I wonder?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
DAMN
DAMN
DAMN

whyy????

He looks better in a suit. That is often the #1 criteria for UCLA hires.

Reaction Score
it's a premiere job. there have been headaches in the athletic department in the past but it seems like they're changing course on that.

Is that your opinion? Why don’t prospective hires share that opinion?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
There may be complications with the buyout between TCU and UCLA.

I have gotten a second wind!
Post/Avatar

Reaction Score
There may be complications with the buyout between TCU and UCLA.

I have gotten a second wind!

Yes, there are $8mm complications. That's crazy money for Jamie Dixon. I could see a trustee not approving that out of fiduciary risk.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Imagine showing up to Calipari's door asking him to take a paycut. UK probably has one of the largest, most engaged, and well traveled of any fan base in the country. And they're willing to commit the most money in the country. SEC vs PAC.

I know someone else in the thread tried to claim UCLA was a better job, but it's not even close.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yes, there are $8mm complications. That's crazy money for Jamie Dixon. I could see a trustee not approving that out of fiduciary risk.

If I'm TCU, there's no way I take the cut on that buyout. I mean, why?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If you’re UCLA, how do you end up here?

They’re going to trip over an $8,000,000 buyout trying to hire the likes of Jaime Dixon?

UCLA has always been one of the most overrated gigs in the country, but this is setting that in stone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom