U17 and U18 recruiting target observations | Page 54 | The Boneyard

U17 and U18 recruiting target observations

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
They don't all play the same positions, essentially or otherwise. If there's a player who is a special talent you bring her in regardless of position and regardless of who else is on the roster. If she's that good, it won't matter.

Christyn Williams has thought enough of UConn to make a visit on her own dime and to include UConn in her final 6 schools. She says she'll take an official visit in the fall. Meanwhile, there's zero evidence that ONO is seriously considering UConn. We're now in July and ONO has yet to visit. Call me crazy but I'm hoping for the recruit who has shown interest in UConn.
CW is a G/W. Walker, Coombs, AEH & Gordon are all G/W's.

A few months back ONO listed her finalists which included UConn. She also indicated her plans to visit all the schools in the fall.

Not every player that is interested in UConn feels the compelling need to update the BY every single day on their recruiting status, nor do the UConn coaches, since talking about a recruit is expressly prohibited by the NCAA.

Finally, the schools that ONO has visited have all been day trips easily accessed by car. Perhaps her family doesn't have the money to be purchasing airfare for ONO to be flying around the country on unofficial visits.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
No.

We have 4 starters returning from a FF team that beat the eventual national champion convincingly. They include 3 AA's, one of whom was DPOY, and an Olympic combo guard. On top of that, and Crystal Dangerfield, we're adding Azura Stevens and a phenomenal recruiting class with the #1 recruit. The odds of at least one NC in the next 4 years are overwhelming.

It's so obvious I shouldn't "like" your post, but I can't help myself. :)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
CW is a G/W. Walker, Coombs, AEH & Gordon are all G/W's.

A few months back ONO listed her finalists which included UConn. She also indicated her plans to visit all the schools in the fall.

Not every player that is interested in UConn feels the compelling need to update the BY every single day on their recruiting status, nor do the UConn coaches, since talking about a recruit is expressly prohibited by the NCAA.

Finally, the schools that ONO has visited have all been day trips easily accessed by car. Perhaps her family doesn't have the money to be purchasing airfare for ONO to be flying around the country on unofficial visits.

oldude, Your logical approach is throwing cold water on our hot summer prattle!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
They don't all play the same positions, essentially or otherwise. If there's a player who is a special talent you bring her in regardless of position and regardless of who else is on the roster. If she's that good, it won't matter.

Christyn Williams has thought enough of UConn to make a visit on her own dime and to include UConn in her final 6 schools. She says she'll take an official visit in the fall. Meanwhile, there's zero evidence that ONO is seriously considering UConn. We're now in July and ONO has yet to visit. Call me crazy but I'm hoping for the recruit who has shown interest in UConn.
Call me a wishful thinker: Different families have different financial means and thus have to take different approaches to recruiting. Lack of a visit to UCONN on the part of ONO might mean lack of available "own dime" as opposed to lack of serious interest. Sure hope ONO gives UCONN "serious" consideration.
ONO may not be far enough along in the process to give any school, including the ones she has visited serious consideration. South Carolina, for example is only three hours from her home. UCONN is 15 hours.
When you take time to write your own Blog about recruiting and UCONN is the first school mentioned, I think that says something more than "zero" evidence.

"My recruitment is going pretty well right now, I’ve got offers from UConn, Stanford, South Carolina, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Maryland, UCLA and a lot of other schools."

The Olivia Nelson-Ododa Blog: Season-ending injury, staying positive, Grey's Anatomy and more

Reaction Score
Kind of feel the same about ND and the same two players. Also noticed Queen Egbo, the 6'3" post from Texas is not on this chart. Could be -- perhaps -- that she has not narrowed down her list of schools yet and -- as this article in ESPNw says -- she's got more than a few to cut down from, including ND.

"Egbo, who is currently contemplating a career in physical therapy, has 24 scholarship offers from colleges such as Texas, Notre Dame, Baylor, Florida, Ohio State and Michigan."

The Irish have four 2018 commits already, but MM still wants to go after a post and "possibly one other" (probably a guard), so i'm guessing these three are very much among the wished-for prospects.

In the meantime, first of the July evaluation periods open up and coaching staffs from around the U.S. will hit the roads to look for remaining '18 and plenty of '19, '20 and beyond players.

What's your position on ONO?

Reaction Score
Charli C's Cy Fair team minus Christyn Williams got spanked by Boo Williams which is stacked with Shakira Austin, Honesty Scott Grayson, Ashley Owusu and Xaria Wiggins.............

Reaction Score
I guess this will be the last time we see her name in this thread........most likely next UConn point guard will be from 19'-20' classes..........article is unavailable unless you want to subscribe

Reaction Score

Wow I know she's gonna be a good player...or already is, but I never thought anyone could look more clumsy or awkward at times more than Lou. Well here she is. To Lou' s credit, she definitely cleaned it up more than I ever thought she would in one year, but this girl really has awkward moving feet.

Reaction Score
Wow I know she's gonna be a good player...or already is, but I never thought anyone could look more clumsy or awkward at times more than Lou. Well here she is. To Lou' s credit, she definitely cleaned it up more than I ever thought she would in one year, but this girl really has awkward moving feet.

She's still a youngster in basketball years so I think her foot work and every other part of her game needs more work but when you compare her to most 6'2"-6'3" players in her class her skills are way ahead of just about everybody else

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
What's your position on ONO?

I'm sorry...for whatever reason, I missed this. Not too late on this one, given that her injury forced her to miss the 2nd half of the HS season and this summer's schedule of showcases and tournaments.

That said, from the little I have seen and the lot that I've read, there seems to be a lot of similarities to what Brianna Turner brings to the floor -- stellar athlete, quick off her feet which helps her defensively, particularly with blocks. Developing offensively. Heard she also has a good head on her shoulders, also much like Breezy Bri. Obviously would love to have her in South Bend. Have no idea where we stand with her or Egbo. Have heard one day that she wants to stay in the same region (Georgia, South Carolina), but is also interested in schools like ND or Stanford.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I'm sorry...for whatever reason, I missed this. Not too late on this one, given that her injury forced her to miss the 2nd half of the HS season and this summer's schedule of showcases and tournaments.

That said, from the little I have seen and the lot that I've read, there seems to be a lot of similarities to what Brianna Turner brings to the floor -- stellar athlete, quick off her feet which helps her defensively, particularly with blocks. Developing offensively. Heard she also has a good head on her shoulders, also much like Breezy Bri. Obviously would love to have her in South Bend. Have no idea where we stand with her or Egbo. Have heard one day that she wants to stay in the same region (Georgia, South Carolina), but is also interested in schools like ND or Stanford.
Speaking of Turner. Is there any kind of updates? Will she play?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Speaking of Turner. Is there any kind of updates? Will she play?

Carnac had asked about this in another thread and the answer is about as current as I can supply. Here goes:

One of our McGraw's Bench regulars is a season-ticket holder and he posted this part of the letter from Coach McGraw about the various injuries on the Irish:

"Our two freshmen, Danielle Patterson and Mikayla Vaughn, will give us some depth in the post that we didn't have last year; and with Bri's injury, we will need some help rebounding, defending and blocking shots. You will get to see them at our open practice this fall, and I know you are as anxious as I am to see how they look.

"This off season was spent dealing with injuries, and am happy to report that all three surgeries went well. Bri (Turner), Kathryn (Westbeld) and Mychal (Johnson) are all rehabbing, and Kat and Mychal should be ready to go by the time practice begins."

While the note didn't offer much prognostication and/or clarity on when Brianna would be available, the best we've possibly heard is sometimes during the season; with the worst being the full year. One thing is for certain -- MM and staff won't rush Bri back.

If she does not play in 2017-18 and comes back to the Irish in 2018-19, she'd be paired up with her National Team buddy and fellow post, Jessica Shepard, which would be a very formidable one-two punch in the paint.

Most importantly, best of luck to her in her rehabilitation...."Breezy Bri" has grown in so many ways at Notre Dame and wish her only the best.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Carnac had asked about this in another thread and the answer is about as current as I can supply. Here goes:

One of our McGraw's Bench regulars is a season-ticket holder and he posted this part of the letter from Coach McGraw about the various injuries on the Irish:

"Our two freshmen, Danielle Patterson and Mikayla Vaughn, will give us some depth in the post that we didn't have last year; and with Bri's injury, we will need some help rebounding, defending and blocking shots. You will get to see them at our open practice this fall, and I know you are as anxious as I am to see how they look.

"This off season was spent dealing with injuries, and am happy to report that all three surgeries went well. Bri (Turner), Kathryn (Westbeld) and Mychal (Johnson) are all rehabbing, and Kat and Mychal should be ready to go by the time practice begins."

While the note didn't offer much prognostication and/or clarity on when Brianna would be available, the best we've possibly heard is sometimes during the season; with the worst being the full year. One thing is for certain -- MM and staff won't rush Bri back.

If she does not play in 2017-18 and comes back to the Irish in 2018-19, she'd be paired up with her National Team buddy and fellow post, Jessica Shepard, which would be a very formidable one-two punch in the paint.

Most importantly, best of luck to her in her rehabilitation...."Breezy Bri" has grown in so many ways at Notre Dame and wish her only the best.
Thanks.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
with a loaded team, UConn not a major player in the 2018 recruiting class

Still in play for Christyn Williams and Olivia Nelson-Ododa.. along with already having the #2 player in the country committed. That's not being a major player?

Lol, sheesh.. you guys want the entire top 10? The top 3 isn't enough? :eek:

Reaction Score
Still in play for Christyn Williams and Olivia Nelson-Ododa.. along with already having the #2 player in the country committed. That's not being a major player?

Lol, sheesh.. you guys want the entire top 10? The top 3 isn't enough? :eek:

You are welcome to complain loudly if and when we sign them............:D:D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom