U17 and U18 recruiting target observations | Page 53 | The Boneyard

U17 and U18 recruiting target observations

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
That attitude is nothing new, Christyn has been denying her UConn lean for over a year now..that's why I have been saying there's a good possibility that she will not end up in Storrs....sad but true......

So if she were a UConn lean you would expect her to admit to that while taking her official visits to other schools in the fall? That doesn't make any sense. Lauren Cox was never leaving home but she gave no hint of that while taking all of her official visits.

I'm not saying Williams will definitely end up in Storrs but saying it's unlikely because she denied she's a UConn lean is a reach.

Did we not learn anything from the Megan Walker experience?

Reaction Score
So if she were a UConn lean you would expect her to admit to that while taking her official visits to other schools in the fall? That doesn't make any sense. Lauren Cox was never leaving home but she gave no hint of that while taking all of her official visits.

I'm not saying Williams will definitely end up in Storrs but saying it's unlikely because she denied she's a UConn lean is a reach.

Did we not learn anything from the Megan Walker experience?

My thoughts on where Williams eventually lands has nothing to do with that interview.............she has basically done a 180 since I began following her career many months ago...................like most young recruits who start out with a favorite team, as Williams was exposed to more players on the AAU circuit she heard what others were saying about different programs..............I still consider UConn the favorite thus I gave them a 50% chance vs the other schools on her list.............I just wouldn't be shocked if she ended up choosing to go somewhere else

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
My thoughts on where Williams eventually lands has nothing to do with that interview...she has basically done a 180 since I began following her career many months ago....like most young recruits who start out with a favorite team, as Williams was exposed to more players on the AAU circuit she heard what others were saying about different programs....I still consider UConn the favorite thus I gave them a 50% chance vs the other schools on her list...I just wouldn't be shocked if she ended up choosing to go somewhere else

Favorite but not a lean and 50%. It's only May. Ugh.

By this time last year we were told again and again that Walker was definitely going to Notre Dame even though at no point was that accurate. UConn fans were called "recruiting dreamers" for thinking Walker would end up in Storrs. Why? Because of what was being said on the AAU circuit.

Williams intends to take her visits and they won't be completed until October. That means several months of rumors from the AAU circuit. Hearing them comes with the territory (recruiting and message boards) but experience has shown they're not always accurate. I know you know that but an occasional reminder never hurts.

Geno and Chris are really good at what they do and UConn is a special place to play basketball. That will either be enough or it won't.

Reaction Score
Favorite but not a lean and 50%. It's only May. Ugh.

Williams intends to take her visits and they won't be completed until October. That means several months of rumors from the AAU circuit. Hearing them comes with the territory (recruiting and message boards) but experience has shown they're not always accurate. I know you know that but an occasional reminder never hurts.

Geno and Chris are really good at what they do and UConn is a special place to play basketball. That will either be enough or it won't.

I'm the first to admit that I was dead wrong on Walker.........I still don't believe it quite frankly............I've been on Williams trail for a long time, before she really blew up and from the beginning it was all UConn all the time with her............gradually that changed as it's bound to do in many instances........no reason why she shouldn't check out the field after all...........I will be really disappointed if she ends up somewhere else but it is very possible......hopefully she will develop great relationships with Megan and Crystal during the U19 Championships and that seals the deal.............

Reaction Score
Correct but that was right after her visit to UConn......she clearly was enthralled with the school at first but as time went on she started to distance herself from that, often mentioning other schools that she might consider..I would say there's about a 50% chance she'll end up at UConn
It's so easy to be dazzled when visiting almost any college for the first time. If she does revisit UCONN in the fall, she'll probably concentrate more on the important things, like experiences that will lead to her stated goal of being a broadcaster.

I believe when she takes her second visit to Storrs, she will reignite her enthusiasm for UCONN. It so meets many of her stated goals. First, Storrs is beautiful year around, but particularly in the fall. The chance to be coached by Geno - that type of experience doesn't come along every day. Just look at the number of UCONN players who have played in the WNBA and then become involved in broadcasting. Christyn is interested in getting away from home, a new environment. Being close to NYC and Boston would probably appeal to someone looking for broadening experiences. I feel UCONN offers so much of what Christyn is looking for. I hope she feels the way I do.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm the first to admit that I was dead wrong on Walker....I still don't believe it quite frankly..I've been on Williams trail for a long time, before she really blew up and from the beginning it was all UConn all the time with her..gradually that changed as it's bound to do in many instances...no reason why she shouldn't check out the field after all......I will be really disappointed if she ends up somewhere else but it is very possible.hopefully she will develop great relationships with Megan and Crystal during the U19 Championships and that seals the deal...

I didn't realize you were among those predicting Walker to ND. There were several, some have stopped posting on this board.

I'm curious, how many times have you spoken to Christyn about recruiting?

Reaction Score
I didn't realize you were among those predicting Walker to ND. There were several, some have stopped posting on this board.

I'm curious, how many times have you spoken to Christyn about recruiting?

I haven't spoken to Ms Williams at all about recruiting, my thoughts on her recruiting are based on her own comments and postings on her twitter account over the past 18 months or so and on her conversations in social media with other recruits................I've been a bit more right then wrong with my predictions but have never claimed special knowledge regarding this wonderful player.............when it comes to many NJ recruits that's a different story............

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I guess it is to be expected after a class like our 2017. I'd take Charli and Christyn as a class.
If the Huskies only get 1 more recruit from the class of 2018, I would prefer ONO over CW. CW is great, but she essentially plays the same position as all 4 incoming freshmen. ONO is an athletic 6'4" post who would be a great complement to C Collier.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If the Huskies only get 1 more recruit from the class of 2018, I would prefer ONO over CW. CW is great, but she essentially plays the same position as all 4 incoming freshmen. ONO is an athletic 6'4" post who would be a great complement to C Collier.

I agree, but have read repeatedly that we have no shot at ONO ... not true?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
All I know is that ONO listed UConn in her most recent list of the final schools she is considering. I know there hasn't been a lot of buzz about ONO lately, particularly after her season ending injury last year, but I'm hoping she takes a visit to Storrs, has a plate of pasta over Geno's house and decides to become a Husky. :)

Reaction Score

ONO is always under the radar on her social media..........I don't remember reading anything about UConn being out of the running for her.........you might be referring to one of the Texas bigs who doesn't want to come North

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
UConn on the sidelines for 2018 recruits other the CW and perhaps ONO

Kind of feel the same about ND and the same two players. Also noticed Queen Egbo, the 6'3" post from Texas is not on this chart. Could be -- perhaps -- that she has not narrowed down her list of schools yet and -- as this article in ESPNw says -- she's got more than a few to cut down from, including ND.

"Egbo, who is currently contemplating a career in physical therapy, has 24 scholarship offers from colleges such as Texas, Notre Dame, Baylor, Florida, Ohio State and Michigan."

The Irish have four 2018 commits already, but MM still wants to go after a post and "possibly one other" (probably a guard), so i'm guessing these three are very much among the wished-for prospects.

In the meantime, first of the July evaluation periods open up and coaching staffs from around the U.S. will hit the roads to look for remaining '18 and plenty of '19, '20 and beyond players.

Reaction Score
Correct but that was right after her visit to UConn......she clearly was enthralled with the school at first but as time went on she started to distance herself from that, often mentioning other schools that she might consider..I would say there's about a 50% chance she'll end up at UConn
Interesting trying to try to determine what the chatter from the recruits indicates. Chatter on this board is that she may not be so sold on UCONN, but her quotes after winning gold in the 3x3 ("gold is so much better than bronze") indicate she is all about championships. That would indicate that UCONN should be her only choice. The basic fact is it is a crapshoot to think you will get an NC anyplace other than UCONN, where it is just about guaranteed. If NC is an important goal than not all of her schools on her list are legitimate choices based in reality. Tenn and nd may somehow, by a stroke of luck get an NC, not realistic, So if she is all about championships and becoming THE BEST PLAYER SHE CAN BE, it is a simple choice. Anyplace else is just a wish or a dream but not supported well by reality.

Reaction Score
A National Championship at UConn is "just about guaranteed"? isn't it a little harder to say that after this year?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

They don't all play the same positions, essentially or otherwise. If there's a player who is a special talent you bring her in regardless of position and regardless of who else is on the roster. If she's that good, it won't matter.

Christyn Williams has thought enough of UConn to make a visit on her own dime and to include UConn in her final 6 schools. She says she'll take an official visit in the fall. Meanwhile, there's zero evidence that ONO is seriously considering UConn. We're now in July and ONO has yet to visit. Call me crazy but I'm hoping for the recruit who has shown interest in UConn.

Reaction Score
A National Championship at UConn is "just about guaranteed"? isn't it a little harder to say that after this year?
No.

We have 4 starters returning from a FF team that beat the eventual national champion convincingly. They include 3 AA's, one of whom was DPOY, and an Olympic combo guard. On top of that, and Crystal Dangerfield, we're adding Azura Stevens and a phenomenal recruiting class with the #1 recruit. The odds of at least one NC in the next 4 years are overwhelming.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Meanwhile, there's zero evidence that ONO is seriously considering UConn. We're now in July and ONO has yet to visit.

I believe the only schools of the 12 on her list she has visited are FSU, Duke, and North Carolina.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom