U17 and U18 recruiting target observations | Page 56 | The Boneyard

U17 and U18 recruiting target observations

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I'd say 50% chance on CW and 15% chance ONO
Are those the only two UConn targets to join Charli Collier next season? Getting both would be awesome but if the Huskies could only land one, would CW or ONO address a bigger need?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Are those the only two UConn targets to join Charli Collier next season? Getting both would be awesome but if the Huskies could only land one, would CW or ONO address a bigger need?
There was a discussion on this very subject a few weeks back. IMO, CW is a very talented g/w similar to the 4 freshmen on this year's team. ONO + C. Collier would give UConn 2 extremely athletic twin towers with the ability to dominate WBB for 4 years.

Reaction Score
There was a discussion on this very subject a few weeks back. IMO, CW is a very talented g/w similar to the 4 freshmen on this year's team. ONO + C. Collier would give UConn 2 extremely athletic twin towers with the ability to dominate WBB for 4 years.

I would tend to agree but I'd like to see how the four shoot this season before I solidify my opinion...........CW is superior offensively from the outside and off the drive to any of the four as far as I can tell.............of course there is no substitute for height and ultra athletic height at that

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I would tend to agree but I'd like to see how the four shoot this season before I solidify my opinion......CW is superior offensively from the outside and off the drive to any of the four as far as I can tell...of course there is no substitute for height and ultra athletic height at that

I'm a bit skeptical about Williams' outside shot. Like to see her play more. Frankly, I think Nelson-Ododa would be a better fit. UConn really has enough guards and guard types for the next few years.

Reaction Score
I'm a bit skeptical about Williams' outside shot. Like to see her play more. Frankly, I think Nelson-Ododa would be a better fit. UConn really has enough guards and guard types for the next few years.

I would agree that there may be enough fire power from the guard/wing position but CW is a special player.........she didn't shoot well during the summer as she had an eye problem and a hand injury if I remember correctly.........the only current UConn player with a better outside shot is KLS..........here's some video as a reminder.....the outside shooting barrage starts at about the 2:45 mark

ESPN's #1 Ranked Guard In The 2018 Class Christyn Williams Junior Season Mixtape!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I would tend to agree but I'd like to see how the four shoot this season before I solidify my opinion......CW is superior offensively from the outside and off the drive to any of the four as far as I can tell...of course there is no substitute for height and ultra athletic height at that
Well, it certainly doesn't have to be an either/or scenario. No reason that the Huskies couldn't end up with C. Collier, ONO & CW. Of course that would be bad for WBB. :rolleyes:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I would agree that there may be enough fire power from the guard/wing position but CW is a special player....she didn't shoot well during the summer as she had an eye problem and a hand injury if I remember correctly....the only current UConn player with a better outside shot is KLS.....here's some video as a reminder.....the outside shooting barrage starts at about the 2:45 mark
That Canadian import shot it better from 3 point land last year than KLS and shot reliably for the last three years. In fact UCONN had 4 players Napheesa, Saniya, KLS, & Kia) shoot @ 40% or better last year on the 3 ball. I don't consider CW a better shooter than the three returning.

Reaction Score
Problem is those mixtapes don't always paint the best picture. You could make one of Megan Walker hitting 30 threes in a row but the truth is she has not shot well from the perimeter for years.

true but there's simply no comparison between the two when it comes to knocking down their outside shots..........MW was ranked #1 for her all around game, CW's ranked the #1 shooting guard in the country because she can fill it up from anywhere on the court

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
true but there's simply no comparison between the two when it comes to knocking down their outside shots.....MW was ranked #1 for her all around game, CW's ranked the #1 shooting guard in the country because she can fill it up from anywhere on the court
I hate to be a buzz kill, but several recruiting services ranked Courtney Ekmark as the best shooting guard in the country during her senior year of HS.

Reaction Score
That Canadian import shot it better from 3 point land last year than KLS and shot reliably for the last three years. In fact UCONN had 4 players Napheesa, Saniya, KLS, & Kia) shoot @ 40% or better last year on the 3 ball. I don't consider CW a better shooter than the three returning.

I'll take CW over all but KLS but I sure hope we get to see who's right on that question in the gym during practice next year

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Olivia may address a bigger need, but Christyn would balance the class better. If we get Olivia, at 6'4", she and Charli, at 6'5", will play volleyball on the backboards.

Some people think that Christyn is at least as good as Meg, which is very, very good.

If we get all 3, that class could rival Stewie, Moriah, and Morgan.

Reaction Score
I hate to be a buzz kill, but several recruiting services ranked Courtney Ekmark as the best shooting guard in the country during her senior year of HS.

good point ..............every player no matter their ranking has to prove they can thrive at the highest level........it took Saniya three full seasons to figure it out and she was also considered a great high school shooter

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
true but there's simply no comparison between the two when it comes to knocking down their outside shots.....MW was ranked #1 for her all around game, CW's ranked the #1 shooting guard in the country because she can fill it up from anywhere on the court

I think Williams is more valued for her ability off the dribble and mid-range game. Most of the write-ups on her don't mention deep range as a strength.

Naples Holiday Shootout-December 2016: Lefty combo-guard manufactures consistently off the dribble; mid-range game producer, physical off the bounce, makes plays vs. contact; an elite prospect in the 2018 class. (Olson)

When asked about Williams game ProspectsNation publisher Chris Hansen said "Williams is competitive to her core. She loves to take play against the best as a measuring stick and so far she has stacked up well. Her explosiveness with the ball stands out but she has emerged as a leader on the floor and could be running the show as a lead guard at the next level."

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
good point ....every player no matter their ranking has to prove they can thrive at the highest level...it took Saniya three full seasons to figure it out and she was also considered a great high school shooter

Slight corrections Courtney was regarded as best Shooter in the class and she did not play HS basketball her senior year.
She was ranked the 5th Best Shooting Guard by ESPN. Interestingly enough both Gabby Williams & Sadie Edwards were ranked higher at SG position than Courtney.
courtney-ekmark

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I would agree that there may be enough fire power from the guard/wing position but CW is a special player....she didn't shoot well during the summer as she had an eye problem and a hand injury if I remember correctly....the only current UConn player with a better outside shot is KLS.....here's some video as a reminder.....the outside shooting barrage starts at about the 2:45 mark

ESPN's #1 Ranked Guard In The 2018 Class Christyn Williams Junior Season Mixtape!
Thanks for the video. Quite the ankle-breaker.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Most of us have only seen Williams play for USA basketball (U17, 3x3 and U19) and the results have been mixed. Of course, that's been true of other players who turned out okay (e.g., Maya).

Williams played in the U17 world championships in 2016 -- the tournament that garnered so much attention for ONO. Christyn was the 2nd leading scorer (11.9 ppg) while leading the team in shots attempted. She shot 37% overall (29-77) and 31% on 3-pointers (10-32). She did make 100% of her free-throws (15-15). With the exception of ONO, the entire USA team shot poorly so Christyn had lots of company.

Williams played in the 3x3 U18 world cup and won gold with teammates Decosta, Bailey and Littleton. I'm not aware of stats from the tournament but my memory is that Williams struggled from the perimeter.

Williams was on the U19 team that lost to Russia at the recent world championships and her minutes were limited. She often looked like the youngest player on the team. She made 31% (6-19) of her shots and 22% of her 3-pointers (2-9).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not concerned in the least about CW or the shooting numbers she's put up in either HS or USA basketball. CW get's buckets! I'm projecting that she will lead UCONN in scoring and shot attempts as a Sophomore.

Reaction Score
Not concerned in the least about CW or the shooting numbers she's put up in either HS or USA basketball. CW get's buckets! I'm projecting that she will lead UCONN in scoring and shot attempts as a Sophomore.

right you are.........she's a left handed assassin on the court!!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Most of us have only seen Williams play for USA basketball (U17, 3x3 and U19) and the results have been mixed. Of course, that's been true of other players who turned out okay (e.g., Maya).

Williams played in the U17 world championships in 2016 -- the tournament that garnered so much attention for ONO. Christyn was the 2nd leading scorer (11.9 ppg) while leading the team in shots attempted. She shot 37% overall (29-77) and 31% on 3-pointers (10-32). She did make 100% of her free-throws (15-15). With the exception of ONO, the entire USA team shot poorly so Christyn had lots of company.

Williams played in the 3x3 U18 world cup and won gold with teammates Decosta, Bailey and Littleton. I'm not aware of stats from the tournament but my memory is that Williams struggled from the perimeter.

Williams was on the U19 team that lost to Russia at the recent world championships and her minutes were limited. She often looked like the youngest player on the team. She made 31% (6-19) of her shots and 22% of her 3-pointers (2-9).
Christyn is still only 17, so I believe that she "played up" in all 3 years.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
right you are....she's a left handed assassin on the court!!!
From the video I watched she looks difficult to handle off the dribble and had little trouble penetrating into the paint. An outside shooting touch only makes her more of a nightmare for defenders. I'm sure she'd look good in UConn finery.

Reaction Score
From the video I watched she looks difficult to handle off the dribble and had little trouble penetrating into the paint. An outside shooting touch only makes her more of a nightmare for defenders. I'm sure she'd look good in UConn finery.

she's very aggressive and will take anybody off the dribble if they give her any space at all.....add the mid range game and the outside shooting and she is basically just a real pain in the butt to guard...........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom