Tyrese Martin to UConn | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Tyrese Martin to UConn

Reaction Score
This is a good pickup. The guy played 34 minutes a game as a sophomore on a team with a computer ranking in the 60s and is versatile and put up numbers. He did not come here to work on his game for a year and then fight for 10 or 12 minutes a game.

If he was eligible this year, the only perimeter player that we know would be better than him is Bouk. Everyone else would have to prove it. Plus, Hurley knows him and told us he worries about finding the right type of people by zoom interviews.

Could we give this a little more space? He wasn't brought here to be our go-to guy on a Top Ten team. We weren't getting that guy this time of year. He was brought here to make us better for 2 years, and there's no reason to think he can't. Even if his eventual role is more Kromah than Bouk.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hurley had to plan for next year, and the year after and the year after that...

Everyone who's recruited can't come in and start right away.

You guys would complain about freshman Giffey being brought right now. But senior Giffey was a deadly 3 and D piece on a championship team.

If Hurley evaluated the college landscape, he could have simply decided that he values what Martin can provide in 2021 and 2022 over the minimal impact of the available grad transfer guards/wings that were interested in Uconn this year.
It’s not a complaint. It’s a question because my assumption, perhaps incorrect, was that the AG and SW transfers were seen as a net plus for the program because it would free up spots for players who can come in and contribute immediately. If, as you seem to suggest, we are writing off next season already, too, my assumption was wrong. Wouldn’t be the first time and won’t be the last I’m sure.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is how you build a program, by consistently upgrading the talent. Quantum leaps are rare and unsustainable. Folks forget how far we fell. And a big LOL at anyone who thinks they are a better judge of talent than DH.

Reaction Score
This is how you build a program, by consistently upgrading the talent. Quantum leaps are rare and unsustainable. Folks forget how far we fell. And a big LOL at anyone who thinks they are a better judge of talent than DH.

What if you don't think you're a better judge of talent than Hurley, but you have a friend who you think might be?

Reaction Score
The implosion at URI under DH’s endorsed successor, who is the guy who recruited many of the players, is an interesting story. Some guys just don’t make the full transition from assistant to head coach. Guys that appear to have a great relationship as an assistant with his players, some how create a deep divide as head coach. While some major differences - I did think of KO2.

When we (rhody) lost a bunch of transfers after totally collapsing last year I lost my mind. Many in our fanbase did.

Cox had to bring in some talent in this class which he has. Especially the Mitchell Twins. He can recruit, but I'm not sure he can coach. Since Hurley left our team is just a revolving door.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What if you don't think you're a better judge of talent than Hurley, but you have a friend who you think might be?
Even without knowing the friend, my money is on Hurley.

Reaction Score
I may be mis-remembering, but didn't just about anyone who asked for a waiver get a pass last year? We just didn't ask with Cole because he didn't want to use a year alongside Gilbert. It gives me hope that even if the rule doesn't take effect this year, Martin still might get eligibility through a more relaxed waiver process.
I know it's apples and oranges, but Geno and UConn gave it their all to have Evina Westbrook become eligible after transferring from Tennessee, supposedly with a strong case over issues at that school, and they were denied. Seemed to be an arbitrary process, which is why it was closely looked at.

Reaction Score
It’s not a complaint. It’s a question because my assumption, perhaps incorrect, was that the AG and SW transfers were seen as a net plus for the program because it would free up spots for players who can come in and contribute immediately. If, as you seem to suggest, we are writing off next season already, too, my assumption was wrong. Wouldn’t be the first time and won’t be the last I’m sure.
Just remember, we already have 4 new guys set to play next season, with another guy added who will be immediately eligible, that makes 5. Adding Martin to the mix makes 6 and that’s certainly an infusion of good talent. Let’s see where the staff goes with it’s final scholly, but whoever it is, it’s going to be someone who can play and make an immediate impact. Adding two new players will prove to be important additions to the team... and we are not writing next season off, that’s crazy talk. They’re going to compete.

Reaction Score
Adams talents both hurts and helps him which is a bit odd.
He can play multiple positions at a decent level however none of them to actual push a starter to the bench. The good news for him is he will almost get starter minutes as a result of his versatility. Great player to have especially over a long season.
Was at the Tulane game and a few things stuck out to me. One was how in tuned Hurley and Adams were when Adams was on the court. Seemed like Hurley looked to Adams when he was on the court to get the team into the right set ups on offense (even when Gilbert, Vitale or Gaffney were in game).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Let’s see where the staff goes with it’s final scholly, but whoever it is, it’s going to be someone who can play and make an immediate impact.
That's a fair point. It may not make sense to me yet because we don't know how that final slot is going to be filled yet. It is not fair to judge this move until then.

Reaction Score
That's a fair point. It may not make sense to me yet because we don't know how that final slot is going to be filled yet. It is not fair to judge this move until then.
It’s easy to get sucked into the “board talk” and oh we need Nolley, Nolley or bust! But that’s not really how roster building works. I get that people wanted huge talent with those last two spots but so does every other top school right now. It’s competitive as hell in the spring signing period, now add on Covid 19 and this whole thing is screwed up. I see Martin as an upgrade to the talent that left. Hurley and staff to me have proven they can identify not only projected talent, but guys who can play within a role/system. Don’t need a superstar for the last player, just need a productive, team first player who will buy into his role and help the team win. Be that a grad transfer or recruit. Ideally I’d rather have an emerging reclass recruit, but there’s an argument to be made that a GT will help this team more next season. It’s important to have a great first season in the NBE.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It’s easy to get sucked into the “board talk” and oh we need Nolley, Nolley or bust! But that’s not really how roster building works. I get that people wanted huge talent with those last two spots but so does every other top school right now. It’s competitive as hell in the spring signing period, now add on Covid 19 and this whole thing is screwed up. I see Martin as an upgrade to the talent that left. Hurley and staff to me have proven they can identify not only projected talent, but guys who can play within a role/system. Don’t need a superstar for the last player, just need a productive, team first player who will buy into his role and help the team win. Be that a grad transfer or recruit. Ideally I’d rather have an emerging reclass recruit, but there’s an argument to be made that a GT will help this team more next season. It’s important to have a great first season in the NBE.
I don't know enough about the options to be stuck on anyone. I gave up paying attention to that years ago and now I just pay attention to the guys who put on our uniform--once they put it on. My only expectation is that the final slot be used for someone who can contribute immediately next season.

Reaction Score
I don't know enough about the options to be stuck on anyone. I gave up paying attention to that years ago and now I just pay attention to the guys who put on our uniform--once they put it on. My only expectation is that the final slot be used for someone who can contribute immediately next season.
Given Martin can’t play and the uncertainty with Akok, I think it’s safe to assume whoever comes in with the last spot will be able to play next season and be a solid contributor. They’ll need it. That makes them 10 deep while easing in a young freshmen big man (11). Think that makes them pretty competitive next season.

Reaction Score
Hurley had to plan for next year, and the year after and the year after that...

Everyone who's recruited can't come in and start right away.

You guys would complain about freshman Giffey being brought right now. But senior Giffey was a deadly 3 and D piece on a championship team.

If Hurley evaluated the college landscape, he could have simply decided that he values what Martin can provide in 2021 and 2022 over the minimal impact of the available grad transfer guards/wings that were interested in Uconn this year.

I generally agree with this, except that "sit 1 play 2" transfers can very easily become "sit 1, play 1, and leave" (i.e. grad transfer or graduate and go pro if they have any kind of a good showing). Think Azura Stevens on the women's side.

You need a guy willing to spend 5 years in college to really get value out of them. And those guys are increasingly rare.

Sit 1, play 1 is a big cost to your roster if you do it often.

Reaction Score
I may be mis-remembering, but didn't just about anyone who asked for a waiver get a pass last year? We just didn't ask with Cole because he didn't want to use a year alongside Gilbert. It gives me hope that even if the rule doesn't take effect this year, Martin still might get eligibility through a more relaxed waiver process.
What I never understand is how inconsistent the NCAA is with granting some players (Quentin Grimes) but deny others. How do they base these decisions?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
This is a good pickup. The guy played 34 minutes a game as a sophomore on a team with a computer ranking in the 60s and is versatile and put up numbers. He did not come here to work on his game for a year and then fight for 10 or 12 minutes a game.

If he was eligible this year, the only perimeter player that we know would be better than him is Bouk. Everyone else would have to prove it. Plus, Hurley knows him and told us he worries about finding the right type of people by zoom interviews.

Could we give this a little more space? He wasn't brought here to be our go-to guy on a Top Ten team. We weren't getting that guy this time of year. He was brought here to make us better for 2 years, and there's no reason to think he can't. Even if his eventual role is more Kromah than Bouk.

I’m with you. But the board opinion seems split that he’s either an upgrade on Vital, or the next Jamal Coombs-McDaniel.

His analytics have him similar to Brendan Adams which is still an upgrade on Sid. And he can be a valuable bench piece.

But it is not unfair to say that based on his current body of work he’s probably not starting for UConn’s next s16 or e8 team.

That doesn’t mean with a coach the caliber of Hurley he can’t make a jump like vital did. But vital was clearly better pre-Hurley. The kid just has more ground to make up.

Reaction Score
I’m with you. But the board opinion seems split that he’s either an upgrade on Vital, or the next Jamal Coombs-McDaniel.

His analytics have him similar to Brendan Adams which is still an upgrade on Sid. And he can be a valuable bench piece.

But it is not unfair to say that based on his current body of work he’s probably not starting for UConn’s next s16 or e8 team.

That doesn’t mean with a coach the caliber of Hurley he can’t make a jump like vital did. But vital was clearly better pre-Hurley. The kid just has more ground to make up.
His analytics are significantly better than Adams and he passes the eye test more.

I like both of them but Martin is clearly the more talented player for Hurley to work with.

Reaction Score
If Seton Hall gets Haarms they back off Sanogo?

Anyone know the PT situation at 4/5 for Seton Hall and Nebraska?

If we get Sanogo, just wow!!! Speeds up our move to national prominence. Really wanted Nolley, but those quotes about work ethic/getting a job tell me all I need to know.
Seton Hall is kind of stacked the 4/5 position. At the 5 they have 7' in Ike and 6'11 Many. Mamu can also play the 4, which they have 6'8 Rhoden and 6'9 Samuel who is poised for a sophomore breakout season (dude is really good)

Reaction Score
Given Martin can’t play and the uncertainty with Akok, I think it’s safe to assume whoever comes in with the last spot will be able to play next season and be a solid contributor. They’ll need it. That makes them 10 deep while easing in a young freshmen big man (11). Think that makes them pretty competitive next season.
I doubt there is much uncertainty with Akok FWIW. That was a devastating Injury and he will be lucky if he is back playing in February. My guess is he misses the season. So I hope we land somebody who can play that role.

Reaction Score

I love CV but are you saying Christian was clearly better as a sophomore than Martin? They have pretty similar stats but tbh I don't know enough about Tyrese's game.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I know it's apples and oranges, but Geno and UConn gave it their all to have Evina Westbrook become eligible after transferring from Tennessee, supposedly with a strong case over issues at that school, and they were denied. Seemed to be an arbitrary process, which is why it was closely looked at.
The fact that it is UConn cannot be ignored. We get the shaft every time. If Duke, UNC and Kansas were looking at non-grad transfers, the NCAA would have approved the change in eligibility by now. The that the Big 3 are only looking at grad transfers next year means that the eligibility rule will not change for next year. And no I am not a conspiracy theorist I just know corruption when I see it. The NCAA will be lucky if they even have a season next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom