Tyrese Martin to UConn | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Tyrese Martin to UConn

C

Chief00

COVID impacts are strange and will evolve. Right now everyone is understandably worried about being too far from home. So a plane ride to Nebraska or Mississippi puts family and friends at risk. SH is in the second hottest COVID hotbed in the country, is that a consideration?
Good points, that’s part of the uncertainty. It could cut both ways - stay close to home or get out of town for health and safety. Chief is still trying to figure out the psychology.

Reaction Score
6-6, 205. Shot 32% from the arc. A year in the gym and the weight room should help him. Had 7 boards a game last year but that was in a huge 34 minutes a game or basically a board every 5 minutes. I can belive he will see anything close to those minutes after redshirting.

It should be noted. He was recruited out of high school by Kimani Young then at Minnesota

Hurley sees something. Could be Bouk insurance.

Last edited:

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
And there it is. Marin in the fold, now one more to fill... Surprised there hasn’t been more interest in Jeriah Horne from Tulsa. I keep seeing his name pop up from reporters and we haven’t showed up on the teams interested. Looking at his advanced numbers, he’s a really productive player and fills a need at the 4 spot as a grad transfer. Respectable 3 point shooter and a good defender. Curious to see who ends up taking that last scholarship. It definitely has to be someone who can play day 1. Would be nice to have an impact player for our first season in the new Big East.
I didn't realize he was available? He's a good 6'7", great shooter and gets dirty underneath, actually I hated when we had to play against him. He wouldn't have been a bad pick-up.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Is there any reason to think this is anything other than Coach Hurley saying to Martin and to Nolley “I’ve got one slot open and the guy who commits first gets it.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score

He gave Jalen Gaffney and Cam Reddish buckets in this game

What a game. What he showed here doesn't fit the criticisms coming from URI fans.
TM's 3 PT shooting was great, he made some nice passes, handled the ball well and showed he could drive for dunks. Plus, he and Reddish were guarding each other and while Reddish had 38, I think TM had 29 or 31........couldn't hear the total when he was given the MVP award for his team.
Just may be the better choice over Dimencio but only time will tell, along with the waiver request.
Also interesting to see how Gaffney made six crucial FT's down the stretch.

Reaction Score
Adams talents both hurts and helps him which is a bit odd.
He can play multiple positions at a decent level however none of them to actual push a starter to the bench. The good news for him is he will almost get starter minutes as a result of his versatility. Great player to have especially over a long season.

Attachments

• 1586322230712.png
    1586322230712.png
    98.6 KB · Views: 125
C

Chief00

The implosion at URI under DH’s endorsed successor, who is the guy who recruited many of the players, is an interesting story. Some guys just don’t make the full transition from assistant to head coach. Guys that appear to have a great relationship as an assistant with his players, some how create a deep divide as head coach. While some major differences - I did think of KO2.

Reaction Score
as opposed to letting parking tickets pile up on his car seat
It's sad how easy shots at Wilson are. Some say they're unfair...

But every time someone said he didn't get enough of an opportunity or Sid had so many skills he wasn't able to showcase, I remember him being a liability on defense, slow rotations, and getting 4 fouls in 4 minutes!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A nice article by The Athletic on Tyrese Martin to UConn.

For those of you without subscriptions, here's some highlights:

*"Hurley’s personality stuck with Martin, and it remained a big draw. He said it was nice to see he still has the same style of coaching he displayed at Rhode Island.

“Just the passion he brings day in and day out,” Martin said. “The way he brings energy to his players and to the game, that’s just something I want to play for and be around.”

“I think Tyrese is a Swiss Army knife,” Johns [Martin's high school coach] said. “He can do everything. He rebounds the ball at a high level for a guard, he can shoot it. He passes the ball well; just talented. He’s athletic so I think whatever role Coach Hurley needs him to play, he’ll play it.” In Martin, UConn is getting a “no-nonsense” and motivated player, Johns said.

My note: Whatever happened at URI, it's noteworthy that this will now be the first time Martin is playing college basketball with the coach that he committed to twice.

Reaction Score
I like the pickup, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me if he isn't eligible next season.
Hurley had to plan for next year, and the year after and the year after that...

Everyone who's recruited can't come in and start right away.

You guys would complain about freshman Giffey being brought in right now. But senior Giffey was a deadly 3 and D piece on a championship team.

If Hurley evaluated the college landscape, he could have simply decided that he values what Martin can provide in 2021 and 2022 over the minimal impact of the available grad transfer guards/wings that were interested in Uconn this year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like the pickup, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me if he isn't eligible next season.
I think Hurley likes getting guys into the program early, developing their game and body, and learning to play in Hurley's system, both strategically and mentally. RJ Cole and Richie Springs will surely be much better players with a year in the program. With a full roster of 13, a couple of guys sitting out, developing, is a really solid investment, plus the no brainer is that you already have your players for next year, at least a couple of them, locked in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom