Tyrese Martin to UConn | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Tyrese Martin to UConn

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I love CV but are you saying Christian was clearly better as a sophomore than Martin? They have pretty similar stats but tbh I don't know enough about Tyrese's game.

CV’s bpm his first 2 years were 4.2 and 4.3.

Martins were .8 and 2.5.

CV jumped up to 7 as a jr and 10 as a senior.

Reaction Score
I generally agree with this, except that "sit 1 play 2" transfers can very easily become "sit 1, play 1, and leave" (i.e. grad transfer or graduate and go pro if they have any kind of a good showing). Think Azura Stevens on the women's side.

You need a guy willing to spend 5 years in college to really get value out of them. And those guys are increasingly rare.

Sit 1, play 1 is a big cost to your roster if you do it often.
I can agree with that sentiment. But in this case the cost to the program isn't Martin. It was Sid. And Martin for sit 1 play 1 is an improvement over Sid who may have played 2 and been unproductive. Martin playing in his 3rd year with us as a senior would be an added bonus.

Considering there weren't impact 4-5 year players that Hurley could bring in at this time, this was the next best option. He'll then build the team with studs mixed with 4 year players starting next year based on needs to be competitive in the big east.

At that point it will be all his players and guys recruited by Ollie for the AAC will have all transitioned out.

Reaction Score
A nice article by The Athletic on Tyrese Martin to UConn.

For those of you without subscriptions, here's some highlights:

*"Hurley’s personality stuck with Martin, and it remained a big draw. He said it was nice to see he still has the same style of coaching he displayed at Rhode Island.

“Just the passion he brings day in and day out,” Martin said. “The way he brings energy to his players and to the game, that’s just something I want to play for and be around.”

“I think Tyrese is a Swiss Army knife,” Johns [Martin's high school coach] said. “He can do everything. He rebounds the ball at a high level for a guard, he can shoot it. He passes the ball well; just talented. He’s athletic so I think whatever role Coach Hurley needs him to play, he’ll play it.” In Martin, UConn is getting a “no-nonsense” and motivated player, Johns said.

My note: Whatever happened at URI, it's noteworthy that this will now be the first time Martin is playing college basketball with the coach that he committed to twice.
If I had a dollar for everytime I was asked to sign up for the Athletic because they have a pay wall
I’m with you. But the board opinion seems split that he’s either an upgrade on Vital, or the next Jamal Coombs-McDaniel.

His analytics have him similar to Brendan Adams which is still an upgrade on Sid. And he can be a valuable bench piece.

But it is not unfair to say that based on his current body of work he’s probably not starting for UConn’s next s16 or e8 team.

That doesn’t mean with a coach the caliber of Hurley he can’t make a jump like vital did. But vital was clearly better pre-Hurley. The kid just has more ground to make up.
Am I the only one who actually liked Jamal Coombs-McDaniel? I liked his shooting especially during the BET.

Reaction Score
When we (rhody) lost a bunch of transfers after totally collapsing last year I lost my mind. Many in our fanbase did.

Cox had to bring in some talent in this class which he has. Especially the Mitchell Twins. He can recruit, but I'm not sure he can coach. Since Hurley left our team is just a revolving door.
Thanks for stopping by. Just had a quick question. When Martin entered the transfer portal there were some who said they didn't want him because he had a bad attitude and didn't play within the team concept. Can you comment on that? I don't know anything about URI's team.

Reaction Score
It’s not a complaint. It’s a question because my assumption, perhaps incorrect, was that the AG and SW transfers were seen as a net plus for the program because it would free up spots for players who can come in and contribute immediately. If, as you seem to suggest, we are writing off next season already, too, my assumption was wrong. Wouldn’t be the first time and won’t be the last I’m sure.
No one said that 100% who ever came in could contribute immediately. They may have been the hope. But with the NCAA pushing off the transfer rule from this year to next. The landscape of college basketball change.

And no one is writing of this year. Several people have reacted to that statement.

Even without immediately eligible players we have 11 eligible players. Akok could be able to play for the second half of the season. If we assume he medical red shirts then you have 10. Yes Polley is coming back from injury too, but the chances are probably he'll be able to contribute this year more than the small possibility that he has a setback and misses the year too.

Call it 9.5 players if you want. But that's more than we had to finish the season and we're more talented than last season.

Hurley will figure out the 4 spot. Either Springs is a day 1 starter, Whaley/Carlton can play together, we bring a grad transfer, or we go small like we had to out of necessity last year. We can still have a successful season with all of those options.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Could we give this a little more space? He wasn't brought here to be our go-to guy on a Top Ten team. We weren't getting that guy this time of year. He was brought here to make us better for 2 years, and there's no reason to think he can't. Even if his eventual role is more Kromah than Bouk.

I hope he's here for 2 years. People forget there's no guarantee of that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What I never understand is how inconsistent the NCAA is with granting some players (Quentin Grimes) but deny others. How do they base these decisions?
Can't say for sure but I think the process go something like this:

Coach: For the reasons discussed above we believe [player x] should be allowed to play this season without sitting out.

NCAA: Thank you for request. It is under review. We take these requests very seriously and it may time to assure we are acting in the best interest of the student athlete.

[NCAA rep turns over ball]
1586364190394.png

Reaction Score
I really like the players Danny is getting. So... the comments 'pass' or... 'meh'.... Maybe this is why he is who he is - and we are who we are.... not a head coach of a basketball power. Don't forget .. we are still just fans. I do believe he can coach - and coach 'culture' - as well. Most missed it when he spoke about changing the culture or mindset... (losing is okay). You can see him building something... Questioning his decision making... really? He has turned some toilet bowls - around. Remember... we are still just fans. I listen to people who have real experience in situations like this. Trust DH - have a little faith. I really like Tyrese...

Reaction Score
as already stated Martin is the #5 sit out transfer in the updated rankings (#2 SF behind nolley who prob wont remain on the list). martin is ranked just behind alan griffin and ahead of johnny juzang, trey mgowens, luther muhammed, jamarius burton, trey murphy...we're lucky to have him. Hurley said we're winning the chip in 2-3 years not next year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Hurley likes getting guys into the program early, developing their game and body, and learning to play in Hurley's system, both strategically and mentally. RJ Cole and Richie Springs will surely be much better players with a year in the program. With a full roster of 13, a couple of guys sitting out, developing, is a really solid investment, plus the no brainer is that you already have your players for next year, at least a couple of them, locked in.
Same with Akok after his half year redshirting - put on good muscle and came in a starter this year

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Same with Akok after his half year redshirting - put on good muscle and came in a starter this year
Put a BUNCH of muscle on him and move him to the 5. He should always be around the basket to begin with now even more so post injury.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Put a bunch of muscle on Akok ain't gonna happen, would hinder his game, and would likely cause more injury.

Other than that great idea.
Ok then put SOME muscle on him and use him at the 5. He progressively got worse the further he moved away from the basket last year. He needs to be around the basket.

Reaction Score
Ok then put SOME muscle on him and use him at the 5. He progressively got worse the further he moved away from the basket last year. He needs to be around the basket.
He took a steal 3/4s court and euro step dunked around a defender trying to take a charge...

I think he's still finding himself and learning where to be aggressive on the offensive end. His shooting and mobility will eventually be an asset as a stretch 4.

Reaction Score
He took a steal 3/4s court and euro step dunked around a defender trying to take a charge...

I think he's still finding himself and learning where to be aggressive on the offensive end. His shooting and mobility will eventually be an asset as a stretch 4.
Guess I'm in the minority on Akok. I don't see the mobility, I see straight ahead speed and ability to jump but not mobile (start and stop and start, back pedal, slide to side). He also exhibited poor hands (really noticeable in USF loss) and not much passing ability (11 assist in 700 minutes, Josh had 21 in less minutes and Josh isn't a great passer).

Reaction Score
not much passing ability (11 assist in 700 minutes, Josh had 21 in less minutes and Josh isn't a great passer).

Not to completely dispute the claim that Akok doesn't have much passing ability, but Carlton had the benefit of nearly double the possession rate.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
It's entirely possible that Hurley thinks Martin will be eligible next year, just like everyone else did. Everyone is putting an awful lot of stock in Rothstein's anonymous "sources."
Idk. The committee could have purposely leaked the info to give the schools some sort of expectation after they saw hundreds of kids transferring.

Reaction Score
Idk. The committee could have purposely leaked the info to give the schools some sort of expectation after they saw hundreds of kids transferring.

I mean, sure. They could have done that. But it's also possible that Rothstein, who is kind of an idiot, is just repeating someone's opinion.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
One thing that I like about his tape is that he looks the part. He looks like an elite college hooper. I think he needs more motivation. Which is something coach can obviously supply.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom