Two Sources Say 2 Aggies Showing Up | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Two Sources Say 2 Aggies Showing Up

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I am clearly in the minority but I worry about bringing in relatively big name players for 1 year who played their whole college career elsewhere. It has to be a very difficult adjustment to change cultures and irregardless of being told beforehand that it is an open competition, if they are not a significant part of the team rotation, I think there would be undercurrents of disappointment. I was less concerned for Anriel since she is an energy offensive rebounder that can make her own shots out of effort but I think Williams may be harder to integrate.

There is also a part of me that feels this is very mercenary (not a reputation I want for UConn) and I would rather try to get our holes filled with our developing students. When it was just Anriel, I could justify it with the loss of Z and Gabby and the health concerns of Batouly but it is harder for me to justify Williams.
I disagree with you from a couple of aspects. The UCONN staff has a responsibility to bring as much talent as possible. Since UCONN did not do anything to make D. Williams and A. Howard want to leave Texas A&M the word mercenary does not and should not apply here. The only thing UCONN did to make Storrs an attractive destination for D. Williams and A. Howard was win. The alternative to winning is not an option for this program-nor will it ever be.

Filling holes on any roster is a yearly endeavor including bringing new players. The development of the existing players will continue. The players on the existing roster were given ample opportunity and failed to fill those gaps adequately. To put it more bluntly: Danni Williams would not be visiting UCONN if one of the current UCONN guards had filled the gap that Geno identified very early into last season. That gap (contributing guard play) has increased significantly with the graduation of Kia Nurse who was a 4-year starter for the program.

There is an implicit assumption that you are making that Williams will move ahead of the other guards on the roster in Molly, Christyn, & Mikayla. If Danni does move ahead of those three players in one year in the UCONN system it will be because she has earned it which is the only UCONN way. UCONN has a need, Danni Williams has the ability to fill the need.

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Super excited about this. Playing in the UCONN system is HARD. Geno has not taken a JUCO transfer since Sadiq, and I think after his experience with her, it seemed he was unlikely to mine that well again any time soon. So... It does come as somewhat of a surprise that he'd consider graduate transfers who only have 1 year left - after all, Stevens had a year on the bench and she still had a TON to learn about how to play at UCONN during her 2nd year in Storrs.

Having said that, Perhaps @MilfordHusky hit the nail on the head - Geno is yet again changing with the times. And if that means he needs to keep it more simple for any 1 and done's he gets, then it will be an interesting experiment.

I see ZERO potential issues with chemistry. First of all, these 2 kids have GREAT reputations. They area proven in the college game under a coach who has a similar philosophy to Geno's. Any kid who is disappointed about losing PT for the year can either work harder to give Geno a reason to put them in, wait their turn till next year, or look for other schools that might feel like a better fit for them.

Second, the team lost 3 out of their core 6 players in big games, 2 of who were starters. Anything that gives UCONN more depth to shore up weaknesses this year is AWESOME.

3rd, people seemed to have no problem thinking that the freshmen would need to take on big roles at UCONN. People pointed to folks like Dolson, Hartley, Montgomery, Moore, etc. who started as freshmen and had great freshmen years. So it IS possible for a kid to play really well at UCONN their first season in Storrs. No reason to think that 2 kids who are a lot older than the normal freshman and who have 3 years college experience can't fit in if it's a good match all the way around.

4th, it needs to be a win-win-win. The recruits need to want UCONN, Geno needs to want the recruits, and the team needs to sign off on it. If all 3 of those things work out, then it will be a huge win for UCONN. Does that suddenly make us "better" than Baylor or ND? We won't know until we see how well these kids mesh and how the team plays.

Gonna be a fun off season for sure!!! Let's see what happens!!!

giphy.gif
I largely like your post and especially the picture. My concern with the 2nd player coming would be the effect on Mikayla. Assuming her blood clot problem resolves in a timely manner, she could contend for a starting spot or a regular rotation spot. She's the one I can see losing out the most.

I wish Geno would redshirt people. If Williams came this might be a good opportunity to redshirt Molly. Or if Mikayla's problem lingers, maybe her.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
There is also a part of me that feels this is very mercenary (not a reputation I want for UConn) and I would rather try to get our holes filled with our developing students. When it was just Anriel, I could justify it with the loss of Z and Gabby and the health concerns of Batouly but it is harder for me to justify Williams.

It's the players' choice to attend a different university and play on a different team. I don't see how that equates to schools that recruit them as hiring mercenaries. Nobody is forcing them to go to UConn or anywhere else. Free choice and all that.

Also, UConn's guard situation is no more settled than its forward one. Outside of Dangerfield what are we looking at? Bent, Coombs who barely played and is recovering from a potentially life-threatening condition, and Christyn Williams, a freshmen. Danni Williams' addition would mean not forcing CW into a pressure situation right off the bat or Coombs' back into the lineup.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Just a hunch on my part, this may be the result of the "Chennedy Carter" effect. Carter takes 30% (673) of the FGA to Williams 20% (441) to Anriel's 15.5% (347)...of a total of 2250 FGA taken by team.
Well their percentages won't be better at "share the ball" UCONN.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Sorry but no I'm not kidding......I don't believe that UConn has ever been known as one of the major transfer in schools..if I'm a current player and two new one and dones come in I'm not going to be pleased and future recruits will see that UConn is really no different then South Carolina or Louisville..it gets back to that Geno philosophy..he does things differently then everybody else......or so we've been told......

Louisville recruits anything with a pulse. UConn rarely has a roster of more than 11 players. I don't see the connection there. Also, wouldn't current players be more concerned if transfers had multiple years of eligibility? And whose spot would these two really be taking? Players like Bent, Irwin, Camara, and the rising sophomores have to show they can be trusted with minutes regardless of any transfer additions. They'll still get that chance in practice first.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It's the players' choice to attend a different university and play on a different team. I don't see how that equates to schools that recruit them as hiring mercenaries. Nobody is forcing them to go to UConn or anywhere else. Free choice and all that.

Also, UConn's guard situation is no more settled than its forward one. Outside of Dangerfield what are we looking at? Bent, Coombs who barely played and is recovering from a potentially life-threatening condition, and Christyn Williams, a freshmen. Danni Williams' addition would mean not forcing CW into a pressure situation right off the bat or Coombs' back into the lineup.
I should have colloborated with you before posting.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I largely like your post and especially the picture. My concern with the 2nd player coming would be the effect on Mikayla. Assuming her blood clot problem resolves in a timely manner, she could contend for a starting spot or a regular rotation spot. She's the one I can see losing out the most.

I wish Geno would redshirt people. If Williams came this might be a good opportunity to redshirt Molly. Or if Mikayla's problem lingers, maybe her.
He's done it in the past - Jess Moore was a non-medical red shirt for her first season. But she was playing behind Schuey, Tamika, Swin, and Ashja. We also had Christine Rigby on that team as well as Sveta - not that they all played the same position, but with Dee/Sue as well, there was lots of talent and it was unlikely she'd have gotten any PT that first year...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well there percentages won't be better at "share the ball" UCONN.
Yes, but I’ll bet their shooting percentages increase substantially. All they have to do is work to get open and Crystal, Lou or some other Husky will fire a perfect pass at them for a wide open shot.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes seriously. Is the mom her agent or something?
Do you have any college age kids? I know I was intimately involved in my son’s decision, including traveling with him to check out several schools. Of course I was picking up much of the tab, but it wouldn’t have made a difference had he been offered a full ride.

Reaction Score
Do you have any college age kids? I know I was intimately involved in my son’s decision, including traveling with him to check out several schools. Of course I was picking up much of the tab, but it wouldn’t have made a difference had he been offered a full ride.

Although my daughter made the decision on her own, I was there every step of the way. I had an idea when she made the announcement so I wasn’t surprised one bit

Reaction Score
Louisville recruits anything with a pulse. UConn rarely has a roster of more than 11 players. I don't see the connection there. Also, wouldn't current players be more concerned if transfers had multiple years of eligibility? And whose spot would these two really be taking? Players like Bent, Irwin, Camara, and the rising sophomores have to show they can be trusted with minutes regardless of any transfer additions. They'll still get that chance in practice first.

..............the connection with Louisville is that they recruit anybody good and if the player doesn't work out in a year then who cares if they transfer out...........I always thought that UConn was far more discerning in recruiting only those players that had the best chance of thriving within Geno's system and that if the players aren't ready they keep on working in practice until they are..................if you were a part time player and you were finally ready to make your mark, I don't think you'd be pleased to have a couple of one and dones from Texas A&M come in and possibly take many of your minutes.........I know that's the way it is elsewhere but not the norm for UConn.............

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
.I always thought that UConn was far more discerning in recruiting only those players that had the best chance of thriving within Geno's system and that if the players aren't ready they keep on working in practice until they are...if you were a part time player and you were finally ready to make your mark, I don't think you'd be pleased to have a couple of one and dones from Texas A&M come in and possibly take many of your minutes....I know that's the way it is elsewhere but not the norm for UConn...

Who says they can't thrive in UConn's system? We're not talking about green underclassmen here. And, again, who is ready to make their mark that will have minutes taken away? Gordon, Camara, Bent, Irwin, and Coombs (health) are huge question marks. You wanna depend on the latter instead of two really good players who might want to finish their careers in Storrs?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
....the connection with Louisville is that they recruit anybody good and if the player doesn't work out in a year then who cares if they transfer out......I always thought that UConn was far more discerning in recruiting only those players that had the best chance of thriving within Geno's system and that if the players aren't ready they keep on working in practice until they are...if you were a part time player and you were finally ready to make your mark, I don't think you'd be pleased to have a couple of one and dones from Texas A&M come in and possibly take many of your minutes....I know that's the way it is elsewhere but not the norm for UConn...
If you are a part time UCONN player ready to make your mark: a) You still can b) If it these transfers are the ones that keep you from making your mark at UCONN it was probably not going to happen for you anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
On one hand I'd love to add both of them to the team but I think that it may cause some discontent or at least disappointment from the bench players and may be seen as a warning sign for those being recruited in the future.....unfortunately what it really shows is that Geno and Co did not recruit well enough in the past couple of years.....otherwise there would be no need to bring in multiple transfers..

I agree with " Geno and Co did not recruit well enough in the past couple of years". But we lost arguably the best two rebounders on the team and we need immediate help for a year until the freshmen learn our system.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When you’re 16-17 yrs old trying to settle on a school, or other major life decisions, sure. By the time you’re into your 20s, and college educated, you should be able to handle your business without mom and dad being involved. Seeing these tweets reminds me of DeShields and Davis’s parents. The slow drip of destination hints via twitter is off putting.
As you didn’t answer my question, I’ll assume the answer is no.

Parenting doesn’t end after your child goes off to college. It’s a lifetime job. I applaud Anriel Howard’s mother for being involved in an extremely important decision in her daughter’s life.

As to your comment comparing DD to Howard, all that I know is that Anriel just received A&M’s Miss Hustle & Team MVP award for the 2nd time, while graduating in only 3 years.

If you ask me, Anreil’s mother has done an amazing job raising a wonderful young lady.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I've now read fans of three different programs claim that either Williams or Howard wouldn't get playing time at UConn. People are so strange.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t think he would guarantee playing time, I think everyone knows Azura came off the bench this year. So, they should have no expectations of starting, coming in.
Yes, and Z got enough time to be a #1 draft choice.

Reaction Score
the way I see it is that as Gabby graduated and Z left, UConn is very thin in the post and having Phee as the only proven post player as good as she is, is scary. So, if A. Howard wants to come to UConn, both sides can benefit greatly from that. I'm less excited about D. Williams and not because she is not a really good player and clearly a smart kid. I do think that it could possibly make some players who came to UConn to be here for 4 years, think twice about their future. All players on the team know the post situation but I doubt they think they need more guard support. In the end of the day, whatever Geno decides is good by me as I'm sure all of this is taken into consideration.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom