Two Sources Say 2 Aggies Showing Up | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Two Sources Say 2 Aggies Showing Up

Reaction Score
So it's okay to be half a mercenary (Howard only)? Notre Dame was very mercenary and hoisted the national championship trophy. It doesn't seem like their fans are troubled at all by that.

When you're entering the final season for players the caliber of Lou and Napheesa, you do what you need to do to maximize your chances of winning another championship. Howard and Williams would clearly help achieve that goal. From all accounts both Howard and Williams are great persons and teammates. Howard was awarded A&M's MVP and Miss Hustle awards. Williams won the prestigious Miss Aggie award. UConn would be very fortunate to get either or both of them if only for one season.

On one hand I'd love to add both of them to the team but I think that it may cause some discontent or at least disappointment from the bench players and may be seen as a warning sign for those being recruited in the future....................unfortunately what it really shows is that Geno and Co did not recruit well enough in the past couple of years..........otherwise there would be no need to bring in multiple transfers.......

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Opinions differ. I don't hink this is good news at all. I have much enjoyed women's basketball over men's because there isn't any of this one and done; or, leave without getting a degree. Transferring in like these postgraduates is same thing as jumping the line at the ticket office.
Respectfully, this isn’t one and done or leaving without a degree. These are two wonderful students who somehow managed to juggle the intense requirements of playing Basketball in the SEC while earning their degree in only 3 years. They’ve clearly earned the right to transfer.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The landscape is changing, and Geno seems to be adapting. Kudos to him!

Welcome to Anriel and Danni!!
Yep, but I'm a little worried about collateral damage. UConn thrives on team chemistry built on years together. Tougher to do that with grad transfers.

Reaction Score
On one hand I'd love to add both of them to the team but I think that it may cause some discontent or at least disappointment from the bench players and may be seen as a warning sign for those being recruited in the future.....unfortunately what it really shows is that Geno and Co did not recruit well enough in the past couple of years.....otherwise there would be no need to bring in multiple transfers..

Are you kidding discontent? This is college D1 basketball not high school. You have to be really good to play and teams of this caliber keep recruiting the best players. You don't pass on a player that is better than the ones on the team because they may get mad. And are you kidding a warning to those players being recruited that's a joke.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yep, but I'm a little worried about collateral damage. UConn thrives on team chemistry built on years together. Tougher to do that with grad transfers.
Unless I’m wrong, before Geno offers either of these ladies a scholarship he will consult with the team after this weekend when the current players get to spend some time with the 2 gals from A&M. I believe that’s the same process he followed with Z & Touly.

CL82

Reaction Score
Unless I’m wrong, before Geno offers either of these ladies a scholarship he will consult with the team after this weekend when the current players get to spend some time with the 2 gals from A&M. I believe that’s the same process he followed with Z & Touly.
Absolutely, in fact he already has according to the article, but there is a huge difference between impressions and knowing someone for years. That's not assuming that there will be an enmity or resentment, but it does recognize the fact that chemistry takes time.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Gene doesn't do stipulations.
The 2 stipulations are that Howard wants to compete for a national championship and advance her interest in media & communications at a school that offers a graduate program in that major.

The first is not a stipulation at UConn. It’s an expectation that is carried by Geno and everyone else affiliated with UConn WBB.

As for the second, UConn has a very good graduate program in communications, not to mention at least a half dozen former players currently working for ESPN, SNY or some other media outlet.

As I said in another post, the stipulations outlined by Anriel’s mother provide a distinct advantage to UConn imo.

Reaction Score
Respectfully, this isn’t one and done or leaving without a degree. These are two wonderful students who somehow managed to juggle the intense requirements of playing Basketball in the SEC while earning their degree in only 3 years. They’ve clearly earned the right to transfer.

The full quote is: " I have much enjoyed women's basketball over men's because there isn't any of this one and done; or, leave without getting a degree."

I see where by inference you could draw your particular conclusion nevertheless my statement was why I don't like men's basketball. I don't believe this is one of those cases either. If the staff have some impelling reason like they did with Brittany Hunter and Z for that matter than fine.

I like women's basketball because the organization in four years ushers them thru the whole process learning and playing Div I WBB and makes sure they make progress towards a degree.

Think Tierney, Heather and Polly. Remember DT being banned from campus until she completed her degree. That is just one of the things that makes UConn special.

The emphasis should be (and I think it is for the most part) four year players.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Absolutely, in fact he already has according to the article, but there is a huge difference between impressions and knowing someone for years. That's not assuming that there will be an enmity or resentment, but it does recognize the fact that chemistry takes time.

There have been freshman who joined the UConn program and hurt team chemistry. There's always a risk no matter what age or what stage of their careers or how well you think you know them. Geno has known Danni Williams since high school. He certainly knows what kind of family she comes from. I'm sure Lou knows Danni as well. They likely don't know Howard very well but they'll do their best to gauge how she'll fit in with the current team. I trust Geno and Chris to know what their doing. As a fan, that's enough for me.

Most fans would be thrilled to have these 2 young women visiting and considering their schools. Only here does it lead to hand-wringing, kvetching, second-guessing and you name it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There have been freshman who joined the UConn program and hurt team chemistry. There's always a risk no matter what age or what stage of their careers or how well you think you know them. Geno has known Danni Williams since high school. He certainly knows what kind of family she comes from. I'm sure Lou knows Danni as well. They likely don't know Howard very well but they'll do their best to gauge how she'll fit in with the current team. I trust Geno and Chris to know what their doing. As a fan, that's enough for me.

Most fans would be thrilled to have these 2 young women visiting and considering their schools. Only here does it lead to hand-wringing, kvetching, second-guessing and you name it.
Did Geno recruit Danni Williams? If not, how does he know her?

As for Lou, I assume they played together at some point?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If these players had problems with Carter taking the spotlight over them, what makes you believe they would not also have a problem with Samuelson, Collier and Dangerfield taking the spotlight instead? I can understand players leaving a program due to lack of playing time, or not meshing with the coaches, but that isn't the case here. If they really just don't want to play with Carter, that is one thing, but some of you are assuming that Carter or other dominant players like Deshields or Mitchell are difficult and/or selfish players and no teammate in their right mind would want to play with them. Would you have wanted people on your team who didn't want to play with someone like Taurasi - who was the dominant player on your team for a couple of seasons? Sometimes offenses are built around one player in particular for good reason (think Baylor and Griner). As for leaving A&M just to win a championship, as we have seen for the last two seasons, there is no guarantee they will win one by transferring to UConn. These players could be a great fit for UConn next season or a total disaster - and remember, you only get them for one year. RU had a great experience with Gia Greene, but IMO it pays to remember caveat emptor (Let the buyer beware).
Huge difference between a "dominant player" and a "ball dominant player". Chennedy Carter bears no resemblance to DT because DT was for a time UCONN all time assist leader. Using your own example Napheesa Collier can be considered a dominate player but the ball is hardly ever in her hands. A ball dominant player stifles opportunity for everyone else because while they are pounding the ball into the ground their teammates are standing around watching. You never see players dominating the ball at or standing around at UCONN.

CL82

Reaction Score

I'm not critical of it Cat, nor I am suggesting that they'll be 'locker room poison' or come from 'bad' families. I am saying that chemistry takes time. Things like knowing where people like the ball, when they will cut, etc. It's probably less of a concern at programs that don't do things at the pace and intensity that UConn does. I also think it is a bit different for HS kids, who are adapting to college for the first time.

I trust Geno and CD (and Shea, who looks like she may have taken the lead) but it will be adjustment, imo. I'm glad we are pursuing them though. They definitely fill a need.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

It's great, isn't it! ;)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Super excited about this. Playing in the UCONN system is HARD. Geno has not taken a JUCO transfer since Sadiq, and I think after his experience with her, it seemed he was unlikely to mine that well again any time soon. So... It does come as somewhat of a surprise that he'd consider graduate transfers who only have 1 year left - after all, Stevens had a year on the bench and she still had a TON to learn about how to play at UCONN during her 2nd year in Storrs.

Having said that, perhaps @MilfordHusky hit the nail on the head - Geno is yet again changing with the times. And if that means he needs to keep it more simple for any 1 and done's he gets, then it will be an interesting experiment.

I see ZERO potential issues with chemistry. First of all, these 2 kids have GREAT reputations. They are proven in the college game under a coach who has a similar philosophy to Geno's. Any kid who is disappointed about losing PT for the year can either work harder to give Geno a reason to put them in, wait their turn till next year, or look for other schools that might feel like a better fit for them.

Second, the team lost 3 out of their core 6 players in big games, 2 of who were starters. Anything that gives UCONN more depth to shore up weaknesses this year is AWESOME.

3rd, people seemed to have no problem thinking that the freshmen would need to take on big roles at UCONN. People pointed to folks like Dolson, Hartley, Montgomery, Moore, etc. who started as freshmen and had great freshmen years. So it IS possible for a kid to play really well at UCONN their first season in Storrs. No reason to think that 2 kids who are a lot older than the normal freshman and who have 3 years college experience can't fit in if it's a good match all the way around.

4th, it needs to be a win-win-win. The recruits need to want UCONN, Geno needs to want the recruits, and the team needs to sign off on it. If all 3 of those things work out, then it will be a huge win for UCONN. Does that suddenly make us "better" than Baylor or ND? We won't know until we see how well these kids mesh and how the team plays.

Gonna be a fun off season for sure!!! Let's see what happens!!!

giphy.gif

Last edited:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score

I do wish that the term “graduate transfer” had never been born. A transfer student brings earned credit hours forward toward the eventual completion of the degree at the receiving institution. These two won’t bring credit hours, as their degrees will have been completed. To be more accurate, they are entering graduate students. They begin their next (masters) degree with exactly zero credit hours completed. This is the norm.

I do realize that they can “switch” teams. But when one graduates, their studies have been completed. Why is this of any importance? Because some snarks would say that Azurá and Natalie quit on Geno. They didn’t, and it’s a nasty slam on a couple of good players to say or imply otherwise.

Where true transfers are concerned, it’s going to be a new day sooner than later. New rules are forthcoming, and UConn will either “play” or “pass” as is best for the program. It is going to be interesting.

Reaction Score
It’s a win win. Both players will improve. We saw that with Z. she improved and needed to improve, could she have become better with 1 more year, absolutely, but going through the Uconn program is a win for anyone. Nothing will affect the Uconn core, as those that do will sit the bench and have no affect. Therefore it’s a win win.

Reaction Score
Are you kidding discontent? This is college D1 basketball not high school. You have to be really good to play and teams of this caliber keep recruiting the best players. You don't pass on a player that is better than the ones on the team because they may get mad. And are you kidding a warning to those players being recruited that's a joke.

Sorry but no I'm not kidding...........I don't believe that UConn has ever been known as one of the major transfer in schools............if I'm a current player and two new one and dones come in I'm not going to be pleased and future recruits will see that UConn is really no different then South Carolina or Louisville............it gets back to that Geno philosophy.......he does things differently then everybody else...........or so we've been told...........

Reaction Score
Geno has had a lot of HS players and transfers visit. Many don't come. Why is everyone talking like it's a done deal?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom