Tulsa to Big East? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tulsa to Big East?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At this point I am not sure why we add a tulsa when BC,SU and Pitt will be available soon, Unless the plan would be to bail and get rid of the CUSA stuff and form a small league with the Big East ACC teams. But I think keeping the Big East name and the Garden for BBall would be better than running off to an Empty ACC. if the big12 raid happens along with the SEC and B1G there is nowhere to go unless we get a miracle invite to the B1G and it aint happening.

I'm pretty sure we'd run off to wherever the money is and wherever the BCS bid is and the exposure are in that order. But then again I woke up in a daze this morning from the meds I've been taking for a disk eruption thinking it was Monday heading for my p/t appt which is actually on Tuesday until my wife stopped me. So never mind.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This would be an absolutely horrific addition. I just don't get it. There is absolutely no need to further dilute the quality of the conference and more importantly further dilute the upcoming dismal tv contract.

Tulsa hoops sucks. They haven't made an NCAA Tournament since 2003 for christ sake.
Tulsa football is above average for C-USA standards in recent years. Guess what? The Big East is already made up of the remaining decent C-USA programs. Why add another?

I loved the Big East, but never has a conference had such utterly incompetent management.

Reaction Score
Let me pose a question for the people who whine on here ****ing non-stop. What would you rather have, tty health or a supposed tty conference? I was right on about people having barely any gratitude.

Exactly. If something changes or nothing changes, I will be doing the same thing years down the road. I will be watching UCONN football and basketball and will still be pissed at losses and elated with wins.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I just ran across this and for some reason I felt it would be appropriate to post on this thread:
528751_522663337768159_2068445535_n.jpg

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This would be an absolutely horrific addition. I just don't get it. There is absolutely no need to further dilute the quality of the conference and more importantly further dilute the upcoming dismal tv contract.

Tulsa hoops sucks. They haven't made an NCAA Tournament since 2003 for christ sake.
Tulsa football is above average for C-USA standards in recent years. Guess what? The Big East is already made up of the remaining decent C-USA programs. Why add another?

I loved the Big East, but never has a conference had such utterly incompetent management.

Explain how UConn's current situation is Aresco's fault.

Who would you want UConn to be in a league with, that is realistic?

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
This! Absolutely this.

People can bitch if they want. People can bitch about other people bitching if they want. But to me, you control what you can control, and whatever else happens, happens. If UConn controls what it can control, which is win games (should be easy, the way that everyone is talking on this board, right?), then we'll go somewhere nicer and everyone will drink less whiskey...

This.

Look at how winning games helped Syracuse, Maryland and Rutgers move on to - oh, wait...

Reaction Score
I just ran across this and for some reason I felt it would be appropriate to post on this thread:
528751_522663337768159_2068445535_n.jpg
This applies to the people who cry endlessly about sports? Patriots handed over the game to the Ravens and I am still fine here. Life goes on.

That damn cider blacked me out in the middle of those games. Whatever the deal, my apology for b*tching about people b*tching. If you think b*tching about ***** in life accomplishes something, I have no idea what to say.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Explain how UConn's current situation is Aresco's fault.

Who would you want UConn to be in a league with, that is realistic?

Tulane and East Carolina. Plain and simple. It was the ultra reactionary move that got the Presidents approval, without thoroughly being reviewed.

By all accounts, inviting Tulane was the final straw that broke the C7's back and forced them out of the league. Or, if you don't buy that the C7 were staying anyways, by inviting another 2 eastern members, it killed any shot of a 'western' division of the Big East.

I'm of the belief that the C7 may have had their foot out of the door regardless of who was invited, so let's just look at the failure of the Big East to create a 'Western Divison'.

Big East, East 7 teams - UConn, Cinci, USF, Temple, Memphis, UCF, Navy (fb-only)

Big East, West 7 teams - Houston, SMU, San Diego State, Boise State, New Mexico, UNLV, Colorado State

Football - Play your division 3 home/3 away and 3 games vs the other division.
Basketball - Play your division twice (east would have 1 less home/home due to Navy fb only) and the other division once (splitting home/away games). So if you're UConn, you're only taking 3 long road to the Rockies/California every year.

You absolutely cannot tell me that the best teams of the Big East and the best teams of the Mountain West wouldn't have gotten a better TV deal as one entity.

-You drop Tulane, East Carolina, Wyoming, Nevada, Air Force and the long trips to Hawaii.
-You become the clear cut 6th best league in terms of perception and chances are, you may still be better than the ACC in some years.
-Basketball is still a strong conference by adding New Mexico and San Diego State to the West. In most years this is going to be the clear cut 6th best basketball conference.

Where do we stand now due to Tulane and East Carolina?

Well, we lost the C-7.
Well, we lost Boise State and San Diego State.
The Mountain West and the Big East are both worse off and significantly worse than the ACC.
Big East hoops absolutely sucks.
The Mountain West couldn't full re-open it's TV deal.
UConn will be sharing their TV revenue with ducking Tulane. Do you realize how pathetic that is?

Reaction Score
Vince McMahon, a Connecticut resident and the owner of the WWE, probably lobbied to get ECU into the Big East. His alma mater. The president of Tulane is a UConn grad. And of course, so is Aresco. Sounds like a Connecticut-based good ole boys network.

Also, the biggest booster for Memphis, Fred Smith, is a Yale grad. Another Connecticut connection in the most recent Big East moves. We've pretty much taken over the Big East.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It is a message board - this is not real life.

If there is any place in this world where people can complain about something that doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, it is here. There is no other venue on the planet where people can find other people who are truly offended at the prospects of any sort of affiliation with a school in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

I would argue that you have lost perspective if only in terms of what we do here. We deal in the absurd. And then, I would argue that you might feel better, in some small way, if you, too, railed against the very existence of Tulane or Eastern Carolina.

Again, I get that something's up - very sorry for you. But this place is the diversion for such things - treat it as such.

Well said. I for one prefer Tulsa to some of the schools we've already got, especially Memphis. Tulsa is a fine school. I said before, I think Herbst is behind these moves (Tulane) and is making sure Aresco is grabbing quality schools, in the academic sense. Look for Rice as another one getting consideration.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
tumblr_mbe1jmUIvk1qgx0k4o1_500.gif

That should make up for the Tulsa cheerleader. Man, I wish I had a shot at her. She's skilled.

Strongly prefer the Tulsa girl to this whore.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Tulane and East Carolina. Plain and simple. It was the ultra reactionary move that got the Presidents approval, without thoroughly being reviewed.

By all accounts, inviting Tulane was the final straw that broke the C7's back and forced them out of the league. Or, if you don't buy that the C7 were staying anyways, by inviting another 2 eastern members, it killed any shot of a 'western' division of the Big East.

I'm of the belief that the C7 may have had their foot out of the door regardless of who was invited, so let's just look at the failure of the Big East to create a 'Western Divison'.

Big East, East 7 teams - UConn, Cinci, USF, Temple, Memphis, UCF, Navy (fb-only)

Big East, West 7 teams - Houston, SMU, San Diego State, Boise State, New Mexico, UNLV, Colorado State

Football - Play your division 3 home/3 away and 3 games vs the other division.
Basketball - Play your division twice (east would have 1 less home/home due to Navy fb only) and the other division once (splitting home/away games). So if you're UConn, you're only taking 3 long road to the Rockies/California every year.

You absolutely cannot tell me that the best teams of the Big East and the best teams of the Mountain West wouldn't have gotten a better TV deal as one entity.

-You drop Tulane, East Carolina, Wyoming, Nevada, Air Force and the long trips to Hawaii.
-You become the clear cut 6th best league in terms of perception and chances are, you may still be better than the ACC in some years.
-Basketball is still a strong conference by adding New Mexico and San Diego State to the West. In most years this is going to be the clear cut 6th best basketball conference.

Where do we stand now due to Tulane and East Carolina?

Well, we lost the C-7.
Well, we lost Boise State and San Diego State.
The Mountain West and the Big East are both worse off and significantly worse than the ACC.
Big East hoops absolutely sucks.
The Mountain West couldn't full re-open it's TV deal.
UConn will be sharing their TV revenue with ducking Tulane. Do you realize how pathetic that is?

I agree that the smart move would have been to take the best of the MWC and BE and form a new league. It didn't happen. We are where we are. Tulsa and UMass can be additive, although I don't really care that much about either of them either way. I am not prepared to freak out or start another ranting thread just because we are not in the B1G.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The most depressing aspect of this is this story is that Tulsa has apparently turned down the MWC. The only reason Tulsa, SMU, and Houston all pass on the MWC for the Big East is if they expect UConn and Cincinnati to be sticking around for a while.

The other way to read this is that the ACC is about to lose 8-10 and Tulsa is excited about being in a league with those schools.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
. I am not prepared to freak out or start another ranting thread just because we are not in the B1G.

Yes but let's not paint this pig.

From the basketball perspective:

Outright Big East Defections:
WVU
Pitt
SU
ND
And gone missing: one Red Dwarf.

Teams refusing to come play basketball with us:
SDSU
TCU
Boise

A Swap Meet
#2 Lousville for the A-10's unranked Temple

We Trade the C-7 for the C-USA-7

Hello 131 RPI average, 2 death penalty schools, cross country travel, and a generally lousy post-season history: Tulsa, Tulane, ECU, UCF, SMU, Houston, Memphis

Good Bye 73 RPI Average, Regional Rivalries, and a lengthy post-season history(including the NIT) Marquette, Georgetown, Villanova, St John's, PC, Seton Hall and Depaul

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Yes but let's not paint this pig.

From the basketball perspective:

Big East Defections:
WVU
Pitt
SU
ND

Team refusing to play basketball with us:
SDSU
TCU

A Swap Meet
#2 Lousville for the A-10's unranked Temple

Trade the C-7 for the C-USA-7

Hello 131 RPI average and 2 death penalty schools Tulsa, Tulane, ECU, UCF, SMU, Houston, Memphis

Good Bye 73 RPI Average Marquette, Georgetown, Villanova, St John's, PC, Seton Hall and Depaul

Care to explain what you mean about SDSU and TCU refusing to play basketball with us??? Talk about "painting"...

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Care to explain what you mean about SDSU and TCU refusing to play basketball with us??? Talk about "painting"...

Just tryng to put another perspective on your spin Dan That's all. From my perspective it's pretty damn sad.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Just tryng to put another perspective on your spin Dan That's all. From my perspective it's pretty damn sad.

I'm not the one putting spin on anything. If you think that SDSU "chose" to put their hoops into the Big West by design, in order to play against the likes of Cal-Davis and UC-Irvine rather than to play in the Big East, then you are the one spinning. SDSU wasn't asked to play hoops in the Big East. Period. No spinning.

Apparently you don't recall that part of the bargain was for SDSU to at least get a couple of token games against our bball teams in order to join in football, because our hoops meant that much to them. But don't let history get in the way of your arguments....

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Apparently you don't recall that part of the bargain was for SDSU to at least get a couple of token games against our bball teams in order to join in football, because our hoops meant that much to them. But don't let history get in the way of your arguments....

Meaning we would let them cherry pick a few matchups because they weren't crazy enough to jump a jet to come play USF and UCF and everyone else we had lined up for them with the C7 on the edge of defection. An act of mercy to service football IIRC.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Meaning we would let them cherry pick a few matchups because they weren't crazy enough to jump a jet to come play USF and UCF and everyone else we had lined up for them with the C7 on the edge of defection.

No. Absolutely not. They were not invited. Stop making stuff up! They are currently playing in such a weak conference in bball as to make their fanbase cry. It was mandated in the contract that they would get a certain amount of BE games every year in order for them to stomach the move and leave the Mountain West. Please cut out your color commentary and stick with the facts...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Apparently I need to do the homework for other posters:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2011/dec/13/big-east-sdsu-outline-agreement/

"--The Big East agrees to “facilitate discussions” between SDSU and current Big East members regarding the scheduling of two home and two away basketball games each season. This is designed to help beef up the schedule strength of the SDSU men’s basketball program after it is forced to move to the Big West, a league with weaker competition."

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom