Tulsa to Big East? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Tulsa to Big East?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I agree that the smart move would have been to take the best of the MWC and BE and form a new league. It didn't happen. We are where we are. Tulsa and UMass can be additive, although I don't really care that much about either of them either way. I am not prepared to freak out or start another ranting thread just because we are not in the B1G.

You're right. We're stuck in the NBE. That doesn't mean we have to further dilute not only the on-field/court quality of the NBE, but also the per team TV revenue payout.

Every add that brings less than TV revenue than UConn, dilutes money that should be rightfully ours.

Now, you may say, well there's no one out there that brings more than UConn.

The answer to that? Stop adding teams that will only leech money from UConn!

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
You're right. We're stuck in the NBE. That doesn't mean we have to further dilute not only the on-field/court quality of the NBE, but also the per team TV revenue payout.

Every add that brings less than TV revenue than UConn, dilutes money that should be rightfully ours.

Now, you may say, well there's no one out there that brings more than UConn.

The answer to that? Stop adding teams that will only leech money from UConn!

While I agree with your logic that adding teams dilutes the money distribution, we need to really starting giving a tiny bit of faith in Aresco. He's not going to add Tulsa just for the heck of it. I'm hoping, and really trying hard to believe in his actions, that adding Tulsa will somehow, somewhere get us more money in a TV deal with someone. I can't imagine that he's not checking with whatever tv network he's planning on going with to make sure that the sum of money is not lessening with each addition. Tulsa, for that matter, hasn't even been invited yet.....

So while I agree that adding more teams seems to dilute the payout, there has to be some belief that Aresco, a former CBS exec, knows what he's doing. He may not have known so much what he was doing when he forced the C7's hand a bit by adding Tulane and ECU. However, now that everyone who might leave, has left, he can move forward with doing what needs to be done. If adding Tulsa, for some reason, adds money to the TV deal, than he's going to make that move.

This is the only thing that gets me through the additions of more teams......

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
While I agree with your logic that adding teams dilutes the money distribution, we need to really starting giving a tiny bit of faith in Aresco. He's not going to add Tulsa just for the heck of it. I'm hoping, and really trying hard to believe in his actions, that adding Tulsa will somehow, somewhere get us more money in a TV deal with someone. I can't imagine that he's not checking with whatever tv network he's planning on going with to make sure that the sum of money is not lessening with each addition. Tulsa, for that matter, hasn't even been invited yet.....

So while I agree that adding more teams seems to dilute the payout, there has to be some belief that Aresco, a former CBS exec, knows what he's doing. He may not have known so much what he was doing when he forced the C7's hand a bit by adding Tulane and ECU. However, now that everyone who might leave, has left, he can move forward with doing what needs to be done. If adding Tulsa, for some reason, adds money to the TV deal, than he's going to make that move.

This is the only thing that gets me through the additions of more teams......

How can I have any faith in a commissioner that added Tulane and East Carolina with absolutely zero due diligence.

In one fell swoop by adding Tulane and East Carolina without fully consulting the athletic decision makers, Aresco chased off the C-7, Boise State and San Diego State.

Oh, and in doing so killed off any chance of Western expansion.

Consider this - the last three adds to the Big East were Tulane, East Carolina and Tulsa.

Everyone of those schools is leeching money from UConn, because they sure as hell don't add any value.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
You could make a case Aresco did better for his former client, the MWC, and his alma mater Tulane.

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I like that people believe that the Tulane addition was what drove out the C7 (as much as I hated the addition, it wasn't the reason). Despite what the Marquette AD said, the addition was only adding one weaker bball team (ECU was football-only). What really sent the C-7 packing was Louisville and Rutgers leaving. It meant that the new contract could no longer promise them a large sum of money.

It wasn't about the way they saw the basketball league going, because they had plenty of opportunity to drop out after SMU, Houston, and UCF were added. Tulane didn't change the equation that much. The tv money did, though...

Timeline:
Nov. 20 - Rutgers to B1G
Nov. 27 - Tulane, ECU to Big East
Nov. 29 - Louisville to ACC
Dec. 15 - C7 leaves Big East

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I like that people believe that the Tulane addition was what drove out the C7 (as much as I hated the addition, it wasn't the reason). Despite what the Marquette AD said, the addition was only adding one weaker bball team (ECU was football-only). What really sent the C-7 packing was Louisville and Rutgers leaving. It meant that the new contract could no longer promise them a large sum of money.

It wasn't about the way they saw the basketball league going, because they had plenty of opportunity to drop out after SMU, Houston, and UCF were added. Tulane didn't change the equation that much. The tv money did, though...

Timeline:
Nov. 20 - Rutgers to B1G
Nov. 27 - Tulane, ECU to Big East
Nov. 29 - Louisville to ACC
Dec. 15 - C7 leaves Big East

Ignoring that Tulane and East Carolina (who was football-only at the time, but everyone can read the writing on the wall to a full sports membership) are two of the worst basketball programs in America and ignoring what a C-7 AD said on the matter, then yeah, I guess you could say they had nothing to do with it.

Of everything with conference realignment that bothers me and god damnit a lot of it does, the Tulane, ECU, and rumored Tulsa add just make me livid. Why? It's something that's actually within the BE's control and we still duck it up.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Ignoring that Tulane and East Carolina (who was football-only at the time, but everyone can read the writing on the wall to a full sports membership) are two of the worst basketball programs in America and ignoring what a C-7 AD said on the matter, then yeah, I guess you could say they had nothing to do with it.

Of everything with conference realignment that bothers me and god damnit a lot of it does, the Tulane, ECU, and rumored Tulsa add just make me livid. Why? It's something that's actually within the BE's control and we still duck it up.

The only reason ECU will be an all-sports add (I'm still not sure why it hasn't officially happened yet) is because the C7 is leaving. Period.

Having said that, I hated (and still hate) the Tulane move, because it DIDN'T EVEN HELP US IN FOOTBALL! But having said that, it's still not the reason the C7 left. The C7 saw that they would achieve a similar sized tv contract on their own but with less travel and the ability to poach from the A-10. If Louisville stuck around, we aren't even having this discussion. That's because the C-7 would never trade UConn, Cincy, and the Ville plus extra cash for Xavier, Butler, and VCU and less cash. Now, it's closer to even money...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The C7 were gone as soon as UL or UConn left - Tulane is a convenient scapegoat for them, but that's a manufactured excuse.

I think you overestimate what the Big East still has control over. They've heard "no" more often than HFD hitting on the staff at Hooters.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The geography and competitiveness and basketball money from the Tulane radio network didn't make any sense. Seriously. Who wants to play in front of students wearing Nutria pelts?

These things don't happen in a vacuum. There simply aren't football schools left with good basketball programs outside of the MWC. The Catholics knew this. They sized up the scenarios months ago as did Notre Dame. No AQ and BE football had no chips to attract the MWV or to spot with Notre Dame.

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

Reaction Score
Strongly prefer the Tulsa girl to this whore.
Her being a whore is why I wouldn't get a shot! Her face is incredibly beautiful. I am a face man.

Personally, in high school and college and after, I've hung around the metal/hardcore/punk/hippie crowd. Not a fan of tattoos and ear plugs. Do have both ears pierced but don't wear earrings anymore. They were and are not exactly "conservative". I definitely am more "conservative" than the people I've been around.

I think it is possible for at least Tulane to revive itself athletically. They are AAU members and used to be members of the SEC. I wouldn't underestimate private schools and the wealth behind them. Who really knows what Tulsa can accomplish. They are in a pretty decent sized metropolitan area that will probably continue to grow. From a basketball perspective, they did have a reasonable run between 1993 and 2003, with Nolan Richardson and Bill Self being two of the head coaches during that span. Ranked as the 59th most successful basketball program of all-time. They are 12-14 in 14 NCAA appearances and won the NIT twice. Danny Manning may be a big step in helping their recruiting. I'd assume the city of Tulsa would rather support Golden Hurricane basketball than the D-League team they have.

Reaction Score
Great. We have gone from flying charter to flying southwest with 2 layovers quicker than ray allen releases a jump shot. This has to be considered dire even for the pre big-east, lifelong huskies fan.

Reaction Score
Things change.

It can't be easy for Aresco or anyone on the Big East to talk to TV Networks or new prospective schools while you have 2 or 3 core Universities constantly calling to see if they can move. Having said that, it also isn't hard to see that 3 years from now (if the BE has a decent TV contract), the economics for the BE conference will far out-dollar the MWC. I am not sure why I wouldn't go to see UConn-SMU in Football; and not sure a UVA - UConn ACC Football game is markedly better. I do care about the dismissive attitude here (and elsewhere) and a continuing decline in our prospective Hoop schedule. I'm hoping Warde Manual is a Rock Star (against some clear evidence).

Reaction Score
How can I have any faith in a commissioner that added Tulane and East Carolina with absolutely zero due diligence.

In one fell swoop by adding Tulane and East Carolina without fully consulting the athletic decision makers, Aresco chased off the C-7, Boise State and San Diego State.

Oh, and in doing so killed off any chance of Western expansion.

Consider this - the last three adds to the Big East were Tulane, East Carolina and Tulsa.

Everyone of those schools is leeching money from UConn, because they sure as hell don't add any value.
tulsa was added?

Reaction Score
Without getting too melodramatic, this conference isn't the worst thing in the world. It's essentially the remaining Big East teams with the absolute best selection of C-USA, along with Indy Navy. Top to bottom, we are at the very least the equivalent of the Mountain West and better than the rest of the non-AQs. Now, UConn's job is simple:

1) Dominate in football, having multiple years of 9-win seasons or better.
2) Dominate the basketball, since we are the premier team in the league, having numerous 23 win seasons or better.
3) Continue our top notch olympic sports (women's bball, baseball, growing hockey, etc.).

All of this is within our capabilities, and all of this will eventually lead to us being in a better place in college athletics....

So step 1) a. in the plan is to bribe the ACC, B12, B10, or Pac12 to send Cincy an invitation?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
So step 1) a. in the plan is to bribe the ACC, B12, B10, or Pac12 to send Cincy an invitation?

???

If you are saying that we cannot dominate in the conference if Cincy remains in the conference, then I would say that we have bigger problems than conference affiliation...

Reaction Score
???

If you are saying that we cannot dominate in the conference if Cincy remains in the conference, then I would say that we have bigger problems than conference affiliation...

I'll say we haven't dominated the conference with Cincy in it. I believe we have bigger problems than conference affiliation.

Reaction Score
No, but when has the truth stopped some people here from declaring a rumor as fact and whining like a two year old?
Two year olds are more mature than many grown-ups. ;)

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I'll say we haven't dominated the conference with Cincy in it. I believe we have bigger problems than conference affiliation.

I never said we had dominated the conference. I said that is what we HAVE to do, as in present and future. IF WE DO, then the rest will take care of itself. Pretty simple equation...

Reaction Score
I never said we had dominated the conference. I said that is what we HAVE to do, as in present and future. IF WE DO, then the rest will take care of itself. Pretty simple equation...

We don't disagree at all on what we should attempt to do. We probably don't disagree on whether we could, if we made dominance a goal, accomplish that goal. I feel confident that if we ponied up the $$ for an excellent coaching staff we can go far. We agree that dominating whatever mess we're about to end up in will serve us better in this whole conference re-shuffle business than going 5-7 for the next half-decade.

If you re-read my originat comment, you'll see it was meant facetiously. Rather than compete for the honor of conference dominator, I suggested we take out our competition so we would ascend by default. As if some conference would have a better impression of us not because we'd become better but because we'd appeared to be better due to our rival disappearing. Perhaps the tongue-in-cheekiness nature of my reply would have been more evident had I suggested we get Tonya Harding to knee cap the entire Bearcat squad.

Reaction Score
If UConn or other schools leave the Big East, there are options to replace them. I think Tulsa will join.

Reaction Score
Tulsa likely to be added by next week per this on SB NATION

A source close to the situation indicated that a Big East invitation could be delivered by the end of the month and possibly as early as next week.

Aresco is expecting 11 football schools in 2014 per CBS report on nearing TV contract which supports the rumor of an additional add

In football, Aresco is selling a package of 10 teams for next season and 11 for 2014 and 12 for 2015. Aresco remains confident that the money for both sports will be “reasonable."

Big East has apparently reached out to So. Miss. perhaps as the 12th FB member in the event Navy doesn't come in 2015 per the SB Nation report and this The Virginia Pilot

The Tulsa World newspaper reported that Tulsa, the defending C-USA football champion, may jump to the Big East in 2014. Newspapers in Mississippi indicate that Southern Mississippi, which won the 2011 football championship, has also been approached by the Big East.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom