Tua | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tua

Reaction Score
I’m not a doctor and I don’t work for the Dolphins so I can’t say he had a concussion 5 days ago when his legs buckled after he got up after a hit where it looked pretty clearly like his head bounced off the ground and he had to be helped off by his teammates . . . but that _____ tonight was gross. Prayers for the kid. Just brutal to watch.
I didn't watch. Now I don't want to. But you are ahead of the curve. Talking heads are all over this today.

Reaction Score
CONCUSSIONS IN EACH SPORT
Sport% of concussion-related injuries
Hockey12%
Snowboarding10%
Water tubing9%
Football8%
Lacrosse8%
Horseback riding7%
Wrestling7%
Rugby7%
Soccer6%
Cheerleading6%
Baseball5%
Volleyball4%
Basketball3%

These are insurance industry #s( with total # for the major sports similar) from 2010-20 so as quickly as the reaction is to end a sport it seems that the youth of today will have pretty much nothing to do.

And I do have 2 high school football players who love it. I love it. Hell I'm more concerned about them getting there licenses. And just as in every aspect of life you accept risks.
I score 3/13....4/14 if there's an "other" category, what about you?...o wait that's not what we're doing here?...I'll go lie down

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
He 100% shouldn’t have played
Even if he wasn't concussed from Sunday (he was), he should have been benched because of his "back injury". I'm a dolphins fan and I'm about done watching the NFL now. Tua could have legit died out there.

Reaction Score
I didn't watch. Now I don't want to. But you are ahead of the curve. Talking heads are all over this today.
Played the position and on a Turkey Day morning I got the same hit he took last week two plays in a row. I woke up on the bench with smelling sauce and coaches around me. Went back in next series…that’s what happened then. Couldnt untie my cleats before getting on the bus. shoulders hitting first and then the head is horrible. I cringe every time it happens.
I loved virtually every minute I played football, however our son played soccer. Wasn’t even a discussion. He got hurt a bunch, but he ACLs are a whole lot better than concussions.

Reaction Score
Played the position and on a Turkey Day morning I got the same hit he took last week two plays in a row. I woke up on the bench with smelling sauce and coaches around me. Went back in next series…that’s what happened then. Couldnt untie my cleats before getting on the bus. shoulders hitting first and then the head is horrible. I cringe every time it happens.
I loved virtually every minute I played football, however our son played soccer. Wasn’t even a discussion. He got hurt a bunch, but he ACLs are a whole lot better than concussions.
The shoulder then the whip of the neck and impact of the head is always so scary. Back of the head is so dangerous.

Reaction Score
Amateur MMA is a little less risky because it's very grappling-heavy. But that's just the meta of the sport right now...

I'm very confident I will have long-term effects from my mma/muay thai/boxing days and I was safer than most.

Boxers especially, I think it's all the hard sparring that ends up with the CTE issues. Boxers go HARD in practice compared to other striking sports. I went through entire 4 month Muay Thai camps to fight professionally and never got my bell rung. From 12-16 when I was boxing, I was seeing stars every day of practice.
It just pissed me off when MMA was in it's mainstream infancy and Dana White and all the other people marketing the sport were bashing boxing while saying their sport was safe and wouldn't have CTE problems. Now that the sport has been around for a bit you see the athletes losing their minds and having trouble speaking as they get older. 90% of them are juiced to the gills and a bunch of them have CTE.

I don't have a problem with boxing and MMA being what they are, we all know the deal and they don't really try to dress it up anymore. They are niche sports like bodybuilding/motocross with people from extremely tough backgrounds who choose the lifestyle because it's better than the streets. Football is ingrained in our culture and the NFL is bigger and more powerful than most Fortune 500 companies and they've used that power and influence for a lot of despicable stuff.

Reaction Score
I don't know much about head trauma. I do know when a fighter is fencing like that with his hands after head trauma, there's a serious risk of someone literally dying or ending up a vegetable.

The more I see of these injuries, the more I wonder if sports like football and boxing are even worth it.
Today's paper

Reaction Score
I guess this boils down to if you believe in the NFL protocols. You either believe in them and think this should play out. Or you believe in them and think everyone involved conspired to rig them somehow. Or you think some stricter measures should be in place. There is no eye test for this, and different people can react in different ways to a concussion. The symptoms may vanish quickly for some and linger for others. It's also worth mentioning that not every blow to the head results in a concussion. The only thing we know for sure are that the protocols in place are the ones agreed upon by the NFL and the NFLPA, and if Tua was evaluated every day for any activity that would trigger a response, and passed, what are you supposed to do? Just sit a guy out based on some intuition, etc?

All the results of this are going to be made public, so let's see what the record shows before we fire, hang, or sue anyone.

Reaction Score
I guess this boils down to if you believe in the NFL protocols. You either believe in them and think this should play out. Or you believe in them and think everyone involved conspired to rig them somehow. Or you think some stricter measures should be in place. There is no eye test for this, and different people can react in different ways to a concussion. The symptoms may vanish quickly for some and linger for others. It's also worth mentioning that not every blow to the head results in a concussion. The only thing we know for sure are that the protocols in place are the ones agreed upon by the NFL and the NFLPA, and if Tua was evaluated every day for any activity that would trigger a response, and passed, what are you supposed to do? Just sit a guy out based on some intuition, etc?

All the results of this are going to be made public, so let's see what the record shows before we fire, hang, or sue anyone.

Personally I think you’re putting too much stock in the NFL not being completely full of but I guess we’ll see how it plays out.

Reaction Score
Prayers for Tua. That's all that matters. I hope he recovers fully and quickly, and has no long term impacts on his health. As for casting blame, I don't know what happened last week. The PhD guy on twitter doesn't know, he and almost everyone are making assumptions. If I had to assume, I too would say he probably shouldn't have played, especially on a short week. There will be an investigation and we'll know more then.
I think we all know enough to know he had some sort of head injury and not a back injury like Tua claimed, you don't have to be a physician to see that. If the NFL, the Dolphins, and Tua (I don't blame him) can get away with saying he had hand injuries last night they'll say he had hand injuries.

Reaction Score
Yes.
That's just ridiculous. Seriously. When guys are cleared at every step of the way, you don't just act like a parent telling their kid they can't go out "because". The agreed upon guidelines are there, and they work both ways.

Reaction Score
Personally I think you’re putting too much stock in the NFL not being completely full of but I guess we’ll see how it plays out.
The NFL has no leg to stand on when it comes to this sort of thing, they can say what they like but they have decades of actions which show they're willing to do the most vile things to not address the problem and take care of/pay their players.

Charles Robinson on Twitter: "To the “it would’ve taken a grand conspiracy to get Tua back into the game against the #Bills” crowd: This was from Andrew Whitworth last night. Y’all say it takes a village to slip a player past #NFL concussion protocols, despite what players reveal about it themselves. Stop it. https://post original url/UoxT4KlhW9" / Twitter

Reaction Score
Here is the thing, they have already been held liable when it comes to concussion related injuries, etc. With the amount of money that could be at stake, we're to believe that the NFL, Miami, Tua, and the doctor all said "screw it"? The liability changes everything. Can you imagine if there really was some big conspiracy to hide something and something really, really terrible happened on the field? It would be catastrophic for them, and you can be sure these guys don't want to take that kind of chance. I just don't see some grand conspiracy here, it doesn't make sense.

Reaction Score
Here is the thing, they have already been held liable when it comes to concussion related injuries, etc. With the amount of money that could be at stake, we're to believe that the NFL, Miami, Tua, and the doctor all said "screw it"? The liability changes everything. Can you imagine if there really was some big conspiracy to hide something and something really, really terrible happened on the field? It would be catastrophic for them, and you can be sure these guys don't want to take that kind of chance. I just don't see some grand conspiracy here, it doesn't make sense.

The money the NFL gains from having stars--especially QBs--on the field playing with concussions DWARFS the liability. It's why they've done it for years. This is well documented.

Reaction Score
Well then you really need to open your eyes. And not even just to the current situation, there's a long history of the NFL doing exactly that

Reaction Score
Well then you really need to open your eyes. And not even just to the current situation, there's a long history of the NFL doing exactly that
So in your mind it's still the North Dallas 40 days then? Massive painkillers, big needles, some doctor who specializes in nothing other than saying "he's good"? They were caught on that stuff and have had to adopt all sorts of safety procedures, etc. Are we really supposed to believe that they would expose themselves to this huge liability for...what exactly? What would the league gain here vs what they could lose? This particular situation is going to have to be made totally transparent, so we will all see what happened. It's just too public now for this stuff to be rigged up, there is too much for them to lose.

I can see wanting to question the protocols. I'm sure there are many people with many ideas as to what may or may not need to be included in them, but I don't see a value for the league in trying to dodge them.

Reaction Score
So in your mind it's still the North Dallas 40 days then? Massive painkillers, big needles, some doctor who specializes in nothing other than saying "he's good"? They were caught on that stuff and have had to adopt all sorts of safety procedures, etc. Are we really supposed to believe that they would expose themselves to this huge liability for...what exactly? What would the league gain here vs what they could lose? This particular situation is going to have to be made totally transparent, so we will all see what happened. It's just too public now for this stuff to be rigged up, there is too much for them to lose.
I don't know, it's really hard to know who to believe. On one hand you have all these NFL players coming out and talking about how much of a sham the concussion protocol is and how easy it is to manipulate. And on the other hand you have traitor71 who doesn't believe the NFL would ever lie. Very, very tough call

Reaction Score

It doesn't require any sort of grand conspiracy, what are you talking about? It takes a wink and a nod and a player who wants to get back on the field.

Incidentally, during the settlement of the concussion litigation, the NFL took the position that payouts to black players should be reduced because they have less brainpower to damage, so it's not like the NFL is above being garbaggio.

I guess we'll see.

Reaction Score
That's just ridiculous. Seriously. When guys are cleared at every step of the way, you don't just act like a parent telling their kid they can't go out "because". The agreed upon guidelines are there, and they work both ways.
Let's ask Tua if the guidelines worked. We can see if he still has the cognitive ability to even answer.

Reaction Score
I don't know, it's really hard to know who to believe. On one hand you have all these NFL players coming out and talking about how much of a sham the concussion protocol is and how easy it is to manipulate. And on the other hand you have traitor71 who doesn't believe the NFL would ever lie. Very, very tough call
It doesn't require any sort of grand conspiracy, what are you talking about? It takes a wink and a nod and a player who wants to get back on the field.

Incidentally, during the settlement of the concussion litigation, the NFL took the position that payouts to black players should be reduced because they have less brainpower to damage, so it's not like the NFL is above being garbaggio.

I guess we'll see.
They have said all results of this investigation will be made public, so we are all going to find out. I get that everyone loves to rush to judgement, but it usually helps to have all the info on hand. I just really want to know what they would gain from this? Look at the flak they are catching now, Jesus, it will be off the charts if it comes out they actually did something here.

Reaction Score
We can just agree to disagree but, again, your argument depends on the NFL acting in good faith and I just don't think there's any track record whatsoever that would support that assumption, and most historical evidence is to the contrary.

Reaction Score
We can just agree to disagree but, again, your argument depends on the NFL acting in good faith and I just don't think there's any track record whatsoever that would support that assumption, and most historical evidence is to the contrary.
It also (incorrectly) assumes the NFL and the Dolphins have nothing to gain with a star QB on the field instead of on the sidelines.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom