Tremont Waters | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Tremont Waters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I think UCONN hoops needs good to real good football. I saw Purv with other players and recruits at the Maine game. It was tough to watch them be interested in anything. I don't think any of that group of 5 are here now.

Football excitement could spread to hoops.

A theory.

Reaction Score
So what I've heard from two local reporters is that there is a power struggle between the Old Guard and the new guard. Ollie and Calhoun. The father and son relationship is over . Calhoun is almost never on campus anymore and is really unhappy with the way things are shaking out . Everything that took place with Miller made it 3 times worse. There's also the issue with the new ad all over Ollie and expecting quick turnaround from last season.

Sounds like we in for some turbulence.

Reaction Score
Everyone wanting Ollie out.be careful what you wish for. If kids don't wanna come here I would think it won't be a destination for a top coach either.
When they replace him with a Tubby Smith or someone like that then I guess you guys will be happy. You guys are acting like where gonna get some kick ass replacement and I just don't see it.
They don't want to come here because of Ollie

Reaction Score
So what I've heard from two local reporters is that there is a power struggle between the Old Guard and the new guard. Ollie and Calhoun. The father and son relationship is over . Calhoun is almost never on campus anymore and is really unhappy with the way things are shaking out . Everything that took place with Miller made it 3 times worse. There's also the issue with the new ad all over Ollie and expecting quick turnaround from last season.

That's sounds like the PG stuff

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
That's sounds like the PG stuff

PM someone, airing things out on a board parents/kids lurk on and sometimes post on isn't a good idea.

Reaction Score
What does turmoil between "old guard" vs. "new guard" actually mean? If KO and JC are not happy with one another, that's preventing us from recruiting anyone? Are our former contacts not feeling KO and thus steering kids away? In a perfect world, of course, we'd want JC as involved as appropriate. But since he's not, that's making the whole thing blowup? If that is all true, then I feel like I may have to congratulate JC on that 4th championship that he hasn't been given credit for.

Reaction Score
What does turmoil between "old guard" vs. "new guard" actually mean? If KO and JC are not happy with one another, that's preventing us from recruiting anyone? Are our former contacts not feeling KO and thus steering kids away? In a perfect world, of course, we'd want JC as involved as appropriate. But since he's not, that's making the whole thing blowup? If that is all true, then I feel like I may have to congratulate JC on that 4th championship that he hasn't been given credit for.

I wasn't really talking about recruiting somebody had asked about the program itself and issues that are rearing its ugly head. We have a lot of issues. Conference poor record horrible recruiting and a coach with minimal head coach experience.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

It doesn't actually mean anything.

It's an effect and not a cause.

No one is happy with the way Ollie has been performing in his responsibilities over the past few years and that has caused friction between him and Calhoun. No one wants to be told that they're not doing what they're supposed to be doing - to put it kindly, he's been indulging his personal life at the expense of his professional life and it has caught up to him in terms of his reputation within the sport and his relationship to his mentor and his bosses. He needs to unpoison the well somehow.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That's purely a bull s--- excuse.

Kids left because of the tire fire the coach created here and then kids avoided committing here because of said tire fire.

Plenty of schools helped themselves during the spring signing period. UConn didn't.

I think this season is going to be rough, but the bill for this nonsense is going to come due in a big way in 2018-2019 and beyond.

OK, Bunch of kids unexpectedly left, the general perception was a tire fire, so nobody wanted to come.

So what do you want them to do about it?

As I said before, the only remedy is to win. That's it.

Reaction Score
OK, Bunch of kids unexpectedly left, the general perception was a tire fire, so nobody wanted to come.

So what do you want them to do about it?

As I said before, the only remedy is to win. That's it.
There's a good chance everything is beyond fixing for this staff.

Reaction Score
Yes it is Ollie fault 100% . In college you need to recruit and have a plan b and a plan c. We have 248th ranked guys or the 57th juco as our plan B if someone is hurt. This is simple math. . So yes it is Ollie fault . He is the head coach and the blame rises to the top

Unless something is going on that we don't know about that Ollie is taking the heat for. Something that has nothing to do with Ollie as a coach or as a person.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
As one of the more vocal pollyannas on this board, I don't think anybody will be making excuses if we are poor in 2017/18 and 2018/19, and have a subpar recruiting class as well.

Most feel like the leash is 22 months long, at best, at this point. The chicken littles, meanwhile, seem to think that 9 months would be enough.

Plenty of folks would fire Ollie immediately if they were given the gavel.

And again, a bunch more kids might leave. Would be a total program reboot.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Part of the problem is the staff continually getting blindsided by things that are obvious to everyone else. Nothing about the defections should have been "unexpected"

Really? Even the other players on the team were surprised at some of the defections.

I don't disagree that this staff has been blindsided by stuff though.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Does JC still have his advisory position at the University? Does anyone know how he gets on with the new AD?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Everyone wanting Ollie out.be careful what you wish for. If kids don't wanna come here I would think it won't be a destination for a top coach either.
When they replace him with a Tubby Smith or someone like that then I guess you guys will be happy. You guys are acting like where gonna get some kick ass replacement and I just don't see it.

Basically, you'd have to hit on a hungry, only mildly proven, young gun.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Basically, you'd have to hit on a hungry, only mildly proven, young gun.

And those guys will place situations where it's easier to win and be successful over us.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
to put it kindly, he's been indulging his personal life at the expense of his professional life and it has caught up to him in terms of his reputation within the sport and his relationship to his mentor and his bosses

Is this translation for 'not grinding hard enough'? ie putting in 8 hour days instead of 12, in order to be with family or something?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
There's a good chance everything is beyond fixing for this staff.

Or not. We don't know yet. Half this staff is less than a year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom