Tremont Waters | Page 48 | The Boneyard

Tremont Waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Georgetown is not in a power conference. People like to believe that because it makes Villanova's success easier to explain and our inability to match it as well.

I would love to see the Big East fail out of spite. And I believe that I will live to see either the P-5 or the major players in the P-5 leave the NCAA.

But if you don't think the Big East is currently a power conference, high major, or whatever you want to call it in basketball, you are wrong. The numbers are what they are, and in hoops the Big East belongs at the level of the P-5, rather than the group below the P-5 of us, the A-Ten and MWC. Sorry, but that's the truth.

Reaction Score
He also came up right near UConn. ie Not the southern part of the state. There seems to be an odd demarcation line, where allegiance becomes a bit more loose down near Fairfield county.

UConn has always ignored the southwestern part of the state. They can play BB games at Webster arena to bring the product to the richest part of the state, both in income and HS basketball talent. But they choose not to. The odd part is not southwestern CT not being quite as much into UConn as the rest of the state. The odd part is that UConn does everything they can to ignore those fans.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
UConn has always ignored the southwestern part of the state. They can play BB games at Webster arena to bring the product to the richest part of the state, both in income and HS basketball talent. But they choose not to. The odd part is not southwestern CT not being quite as much into UConn as the rest of the state. The odd part is that UConn does everything they can to ignore those fans.

I think a lot of that has to do with the Gold coast thinking they are more connected to NYC than Connecticut as a whole.
I know UConn has made efforts to reach out to the Southwestern part of the state and the alumni down in that part of the state can attest to it.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Give me a break. CT is one of the smallest states in the country and they play basketball and football at stadiums centrally located in the state.

Only in CT could that be perceived as a slight to the 17 hour drive away that is SW CT.

Reaction Score
Don't really like this guy....but I agree Kansas would make the most sense if it were me.
dont like me lol sheesh I guess i have to be all uconn all the time to be a real fan huh even if that means telling a lie?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Give me a break. CT is one of the smallest states in the country and they play basketball and football at stadiums centrally located in the state.

Only in CT could that be perceived as a slight to the 17 hour drive away that is SW CT.
Have you ever tried getting out of lower Fairfield County for a midweek 7pm game in Hartford, let alone Gampel?

Not happening if you work a 9-5.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, that was Glen's area - KO had recruiting involvement across the country. But, the criticism of Glen's recruiting was he did not close the deal - being there is great - but when you are in the lead you need to get the commit and get him on the court. The longer it goes on the more risk occurs. True, designing the perfectly balance class schedule is nice that meets various academic requirements - but the focus needs to be basketball and the preparation is strength and condition. Hopefully, that improves also.

Glenn recruited the best player in out program right now Jalen Adams now didnt he? HERES THE TRUTH you ready for it? KO is on the hotseat he comes up short again he could be FIRED! He needed to shake things up so he decided to get chillious a nike guy /aau guy who can muddy the waters a bit. Why fire Glenn? he was the only person who made enough money that would allow him to free up some green to offer chillious. Thats the GOD HONEST TRUTH want to know why MAL decommitted? Ill save that for another post

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Glenn recruited the best player in out program right now Jalen Adams now didnt he? HERES THE TRUTH you ready for it? KO is on the hotseat he comes up short again he could be FIRED! He needed to shake things up so he decided to get chillious a nike guy /aau guy who can muddy the waters a bit. Why fire Glenn? he was the only person who made enough money that would allow him to free up some green to offer chillious. Thats the GOD HONEST TRUTH want to know why MAL decommitted? Ill save that for another post
No, no, you can tell us here. Pull up a chair.

Reaction Score

Has this been discussed before? I really like this idea. One game a year. Especially considering the fact that our attendance has suffered in the usual two locations. (Not that you would be doing this for attendance).

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Have you ever tried getting out of lower Fairfield County for a midweek 7pm game in Hartford, let alone Gampel?

Not happening if you work a 9-5.

My main point is that CT is such a small state and there are always complaints about travel distance/traffic when it comes to XL/Gampel. It just strikes me as funny that the original poster claims UConn has ignored SW CT as if it's some different region, when you have other schools in far larger states not moving their games all over the state to accommodate everyone. Which, we actually already have a leg up by playing half the hoop games in Hartford and all football in East Hartford.

Reaction Score

I heard this as well. I also think it was the right thing to do.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Georgetown is not in a power conference. People like to believe that because it makes Villanova's success easier to explain and our inability to match it as well.

The BE got 7 teams in the tournament this year. That's 70%of the conference and #2 overall. They got 5 last year plus the Champs.

They're a cut above some P5s.

And in basketball, the field is effectively the P6.

Reaction Score

Do Ohio State fans complain about their location? What about Michigan? God...give it a rest. If your a fan, you'll drive the 45 mins- an hour to watch them play. Jesus. Spoiled fans.

Reaction Score
Do Ohio State fans complain about their location? What about Michigan? God...give it a rest. If your a fan, you'll drive the 45 mins- an hour to watch them play. Jesus. Spoiled fans.
I'm sorry but this is just a really stupid point and totally wrong. You may call it spoiled but yes, travel time to and from plays a part in most casual fans' decisions on whether to attend games. Bridgeport is also accessible for the alumni base in NYC because it's walking distance from the train station there. Storrs and Hartford are definitely not accessible for NYC people, most of whom do not own a car.

pj

Reaction Score
It's more a problem of Connecticut under-investing in its freeways. People don't mind traveling from Philly or Pittsburgh to State College PA. It's a long drive but low stress.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but this is just a really stupid point and totally wrong. You may call it spoiled but yes, travel time to and from plays a part in most casual fans' decisions on whether to attend games. Bridgeport is also accessible for the alumni base in NYC because it's walking distance from the train station there. Storrs and Hartford are definitely not accessible for NYC people, most of whom do not own a car.

Boo hoo. Seriously all I need to say to that. Look at every other school thats in a much bigger state and the fan support they still get. You wanna miss a few weekday games fine, but if your complaining about Saturday or Sunday games because you live in Fairfield county your a spoiled fan and you should give your tickets up immediately to people who actually deserve them. Goodbye.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Nobody is saying travel time doesn't play an important factor in attending games. I'd argue it's actually priority #1 given how cheap you can get to games these days.

The point is that saying UConn needs to play games in a 3rd arena and not doing so is a disservice to SW CT is a joke.

SInce UConn can't get 15,000 people to see them play a postseason game on their home court, against a ranked team we have a history with, we have bigger problems than trying to schedule Maryland Eastern Shore at Webster Arena.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
hence the word "unofficial" which you glossed right over in order to make a point.

Nobody is saying travel time doesn't play an important factor in attending games. I'd argue it's actually priority #1 given how cheap you can get to games these days.

The point is that saying UConn needs to play games in a 3rd arena and not doing so is a disservice to SW CT is a joke.

SInce UConn can't get 15,000 people to see them play a postseason game on their home court, against a ranked team we have a history with, we have bigger problems than trying to schedule Maryland Eastern Shore at Webster Arena.

You're both right.

One game a year doesn't kill you there. But if you're gonna do that, also try to make it a fun experience for the people. Make it feel like a special event, even if it is against UMES. lol

But I would say that weekend games are probably a better idea for down there. But you're also going to lose a lot of that student population and atmosphere around the court.

Reaction Score
But you're also going to lose a lot of that student population and atmosphere around the court.
Load up some buses with students and give them free transportation to the game from Storrs. Freebies work wonders...

Reaction Score
You're both right.

One game a year doesn't kill you there. But if you're gonna do that, also try to make it a fun experience for the people. Make it feel like a special event, even if it is against UMES. lol

But I would say that weekend games are probably a better idea for down there. But you're also going to lose a lot of that student population and atmosphere around the court.

The way they did it vs Eastern Washington was fine. Over winter break, campus was dead and it was a low-major that wouldn't have drawn a big crowd in Hartford. Give FFC a chance to have a short drive to a game. I went and enjoyed myself, despite the off-ramps from 95 being a clusterF since there was so much traffic.

Anyone have any insight as to why they ditched it?

Reaction Score
I would love to see the Big East fail out of spite. And I believe that I will live to see either the P-5 or the major players in the P-5 leave the NCAA.

But if you don't think the Big East is currently a power conference, high major, or whatever you want to call it in basketball, you are wrong. The numbers are what they are, and in hoops the Big East belongs at the level of the P-5, rather than the group below the P-5 of us, the A-Ten and MWC. Sorry, but that's the truth.
No matter how many times you say it, you can't make it true. The Big East has better basketball right now because they have better coaches, right now. If UConn suddenly moved to the Big East, we would be exactly the same team getting the exact same recruits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom