Tremont Waters | Page 47 | The Boneyard

Tremont Waters

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Boat talked about leaving after his sophomore season. Stayed four years. He had Kemba speed, scorer and lockdown defender. Learned to play PG where he will play for many years as a professional. Jalen needs to stay in college and grow like Kemba and Boat. Kemba was ready after Junior year. Huge difference in maturity and game from sophomore to Junior year. Let's hope Jalen has that kind of off season. The areas he needs to grow in have been discussed on this board many times.

Boat was 5'10" and had no options. Honestly, I expect it will be the same for Waters, wherever he goes. Adams has NBA PG size. He even has the skills, he just needs to harness them.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
In Boston today for Easter - more detailed response later. I will tell you the high level view on state kids - all the kids I mentioned led to getting Drummond in 2012 - the #1 player in the nation. You need to built the culture.
Drummond was a one and done no matter where he went or for what reason
He also under performed for UConn because his attention was not on the UConn Huskies - it was I am here because I have to go to college for a year and I ain't getting hurt because I know I'm go to be a lottery pick.
I know both his parents and AD was going to college for 1 year and was going to UConn or another instate school - that's it in a nutshell
I don't care what level you see things from but I think I know a lot more about AD and what went down than you may pretend to
So profess on about the instate BS but if think AD went to UConn because he was impressed only by any of the history - you are wrong
Yeah he knew all the current players and played ball in the summer with some past UConn stars but that was because he is a CT guy - he became comfortable in Storrs
If Wesleyan was bigger and played D1 - I bet he would have probably parked there for a year
If he lived in Boston, he would most likely have gone to (gulp) BCU, if he live in NYC probably St Johns
That's just the way it is

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Metamucil is good if you can't conjugate cousin Dave.
I don't have that problem but chief and a dozen other guys do.
Not fond of Metamucil in any event but you have to tell me how we became cousins.

Reaction Score
Another crystal ball projection for WKU, and it's by Jerry Meyer who is usually pretty good.

Reaction Score
His dad may want to find someone else to handle his sons basketball career if he ends up at WKU. A top 40 kid basically isn't getting a sniff from any top schools. He'll be on tv like twice next year

Reaction Score
His dad may want to find someone else to handle his sons basketball career if he ends up at WKU. A top 40 kid basically isn't getting a sniff from any top schools. He'll be on tv like twice next year

Would truly be fascinating to me if he ends up at WKU. Wondering what the factors would be that led to the decision... It can only conceivably be playing time and being the main man in the backcourt. Unless something more shady happened too.

Reaction Score
Would truly be fascinating to me if he ends up at WKU. Wondering what the factors would be that led to the decision... It can only conceivably be playing time and being the main man in the backcourt. Unless something more shady happened too.
Likely both

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Oh my, go to Georgetown! Western Kentucky? Really?
I read a couple of old stories on this kid's recruitment and the parents couldn't say enough about the importance of him getting a quality degree. But there was also one about how needed to be smart about his $ from his massive earnings in the future. Another mentioned the dad who was working out the kid privately before or after practices, etc., called themselves Team Waters. They be overplaying their hand.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Remember that kid, McCoullough, who was a top recruit and could've gone to any big time school but went to Detroit to play for his dad?

Reaction Score
I read a couple of old stories on this kid's recruitment and the parents couldn't say enough about the importance of him getting a quality degree. But there was also one about how needed to be smart about his $ from his massive earnings in the future. Another mentioned the dad who was working out the kid privately before or after practices, etc., called themselves Team Waters. They be overplaying their hand.

"They be overplaying their hand."
Sounds like it.

Reaction Score
Remember that kid, McCoullough, who was a top recruit and could've gone to any big time school but went to Detroit to play for his dad?

I believe you mean this fellow:

Ray McCallum Jr.

McCallum chose to play at the University of Detroit Mercy for his father, Titans head coach Ray McCallum. He was "one of the most highly-recruited players in school history"[5] and passed on scholarship offers from schools such as UCLA, Arizona, Oklahoma and Florida.

Last edited:

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I believe you me this fellow:

Ray McCallum Jr.

McCallum chose to play at the University of Detroit Mercy for his father, Titans head coach Ray McCallum. He was "one of the most highly-recruited players in school history"[5] and passed on scholarship offers from schools such as UCLA, Arizona, Oklahoma and Florida.
Yep. Thanks.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
"They be overplaying their hand."
Sounds like it.
He did the hat thing with Georgetown, IU and Kentucky. Did he actually have an offer from Kentucky?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He could just go play for Georgetown any time he wants.

C

Chief00

Drummond was a one and done no matter where he went or for what reason
He also under performed for UConn because his attention was not on the UConn Huskies - it was I am here because I have to go to college for a year and I ain't getting hurt because I know I'm go to be a lottery pick.
I know both his parents and AD was going to college for 1 year and was going to UConn or another instate school - that's it in a nutshell
I don't care what level you see things from but I think I know a lot more about AD and what went down than you may pretend to
So profess on about the instate BS but if think AD went to UConn because he was impressed only by any of the history - you are wrong
Yeah he knew all the current players and played ball in the summer with some past UConn stars but that was because he is a CT guy - he became comfortable in Storrs
If Wesleyan was bigger and played D1 - I bet he would have probably parked there for a year
If he lived in Boston, he would most likely have gone to (gulp) BCU, if he live in NYC probably St Johns
That's just the way it is

You proved my point without realizing it. I agree Drummond did not consciously go to UConn because another in state player did - but if you didn't think he was a Husky fan and knew Husky players being an instate guy you are wrong. He was very much part of the culture I referred to - if he was conscious of it or not is irrelevant.
So you knew both his parents - interesting - since his dad in NY and his mom here.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You proved my point without realizing it. I agree Drummond did not consciously go to UConn because another in state player did - but if you didn't think he was a Husky fan and knew Husky players being an instate guy you are wrong. He was very much part of the culture I referred to - if he was conscious of it or not is irrelevant.
So you knew both his parents - interesting - since his dad in NY and his mom here.

He also came up right near UCONN. ie Not the southern part of the state. There seems to be an odd demarcation line, where allegiance becomes a bit more loose down near Fairfield county.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Have there been any more updates on him? Been hearing a lot of conflicting reports.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Have there been any more updates on him? Been hearing a lot of conflicting reports.

In following through this whole thread, my take away is that interest on his end is lukewarm at the moment. And interest on UCONN's part is medium; but would be high if he was more interested. jmo

Reaction Score

Common sense says that "Team Waters" having way, way overplayed their hand is what is going on here. I think at some point, too many questions focused on the son's playing time and role convinced coaches that, as talented as he may be, it wasn't going to be worth it.

I feel badly for the young man. Having stayed at Georgetown because it is in a power conference, it does care about basketball and it is a great academic school would have been the right move, even if Water's specific roll on the team was no longer as clear and Team Waters didn't feel personally wronged by the coaching change. But even that boat may have sailed.

This is a 5'9" point guard -- not Anthony Davis. I'm not saying he couldn't turn out to be a great college player -- just that as a point guard you can only be great if you're team first. A me first big you can get away with. Not a me first point.

I make no prediction. But if he ends up at WKU, I think holidays at the Waters house will be tense for a while going forward.

Reaction Score
Common sense says that "Team Waters" having way, way overplayed their hand is what is going on here. I think at some point, too many questions focused on the son's playing time and role convinced coaches that, as talented as he may be, it wasn't going to be worth it.

I feel badly for the young man. Having stayed at Georgetown because it is in a power conference, it does care about basketball and it is a great academic school would have been the right move, even if Water's specific roll on the team was no longer as clear and Team Waters didn't feel personally wronged by the coaching change. But even that boat may have sailed.

This is a 5'9" point guard -- not Anthony Davis. I'm not saying he couldn't turn out to be a great college player -- just that as a point guard you can only be great if you're team first. A me first big you can get away with. Not a me first point.

I make no prediction. But if he ends up at WKU, I think holidays at the Waters house will be tense for a while going forward.
Georgetown is not in a power conference. People like to believe that because it makes Villanova's success easier to explain and our inability to match it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom