Tremont Waters | Page 45 | The Boneyard

Tremont Waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Simple. TSam wasn't either, if anything TSam was even a tier below this guy.

You can get away with someone like TSam being the 3rd guard when your 1st guard is also the best guard in the country. Lets hope Adams makes the leap many expect.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
One good season and this will flip. That is the tightrope we walk on. Huge season upcoming IMO for the future of the program.

Even this individual Nike tournament could be a massive leverage point. We should have the horses to play some very appealing ball on the highest of stages.
One good season and it'll flip? We won a national title in 2014. How did recruiting go after that great season? What's the definition of a good season these days? 20-23 wins and a third place AAC finish? We're going to have to fight the McDonald's All-Americans off with a stick..... Maybe I'm just frustrated from coming to the board and expecting good news only to hear we signed a mid-major grad transfer. "Wait until 2019.... That's our year to get some top recruits." We're scalitoed.

Reaction Score
One good season and it'll flip? We won a national title in 2014. How did recruiting go after that great season? What's the definition of a good season these days? 20-23 wins and a third place AAC finish? We're going to have to fight the McDonald's All-Americans off with a stick..... Maybe I'm just frustrated from coming to the board and expecting good news only to hear we signed a mid-major grad transfer. "Wait until 2019.... That's our year to get some top recruits." We're scalitoed.

Recruiting went pretty damn well, I'd say. Recruiting hasn't even been the issue yet. Player retention and development (and injuries) have been. We could be screwed with our skeleton roster and the fact that 2 of our best players are likely gone for '18. And that is why recruiting for '18 is so important. And why this upcoming season is so important. There are some really bad optics with the program even with 3 potential studs and a top 25 type season would stop that noise.

Reaction Score
It's honestly shocking to me that our fan base wants to compete with the relevant programs for titles most years but then still holds idealogies like this. If UConn ever hopes to win anything of value in the postseason, we will need to be able to convince a top 30 kid to sign up to compete with a nobody like Anderson. To say we will not get Tremont because of this commitment is basically the same as conceding that UConn will never be back in the title pickture. I've said this dozens of times but look at how our direct peers accumulate, and retain talent.
Read 99's post.
"Hearing UConn and waters are over or cooled off. Staff is focusing on big boys..."[/I]
He has more real information than you do. We don't sign Anderson if we had a real shot at Waters.

Reaction Score
Been MIA most of today........ not long after KO started following the Fordham kid this morning, he liked Tremont's latest pic. To my tiny brain that means we're still recruiting him. I realize that seems stupid to people but from pure experience of stalking... KO isn't liking a pic of a guy he's not recruiting.

Odds say he's not coming here, which is why 2fo7 and the resident con artist is saying that, but I believe we're still recruiting him. This kid isn't being scared off by a Fordham grad transfer.

Reaction Score
I know a lot of people like his game, but do you think there is a reason why he has very limited options? Top 40 guards don't end up at Western Kentucky. Did they not like the lack of promises from Ollie. Why is everyone steering clear of this kid? You tell me. Because as I look at the other players in the top 40, Syracuse isn't looking down its nose at them.

If you can't tell that something doesn't look right here, then I think recruiting isn't for you. Clearly, there is a story here. That much is obvious. Go back and look at the top 40 recruitments of the past 10 years. You'll search long and hard to find stories like this one.
I can relate to what you said here. Something about Tremonts recruitment has been a little strange. I'm not sure how I feel about how he perceives Uconn. I don't feel he has much respect for our program and especially considering he is an local kid really makes me wonder why. I also don't know how I feel about his father being so involved. It's too similar to the Vance Jackson situation in that respect. I won't be upset if we don't land him. I think the chemistry and identity of the team is more important than Tremonts spotlight.

Reaction Score
Been MIA most of today... not long after KO started following the Fordham kid this morning, he liked Tremont's latest pic. To my tiny brain that means we're still recruiting him. I realize that seems stupid to people but from pure experience of stalking... KO isn't liking a pic of a guy he's not recruiting.

Odds say he's not coming here, which is why 2fo7 and the resident con artist is saying that, but I believe we're still recruiting him. This kid isn't being scared off by a Fordham grad transfer.

First, of all, there are all these talks of demands his father is making and they could be 100% false. I highly doubt KO just told him that we are not interested anymore. If his father does have some type of expectations, I imagine KO just told them where his thoughts lie and that we would love to land him but there are no guarantees. If this is the case, the staff may just decide it is no longer worth it to expend much energy on Tremont since all parties know where they stand, but Tremont and his father very well could decide UCONN is his best situation and KO certainly wouldn't turn him down. This is my rose colored delusional vision.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
He couldn't understand a simple comparison, why would you expect him to be able to determine whether a natural 3 could size up to a pseudo stretch 4?
Niels why don't you break it down to me coach? I have time, pen and pad. Certain you played, certain you are in Ollie's war room. I know you comment. I know you speculate. As for your comparison, I did not agree. And yes it was simple.

Reaction Score
First, of all, there are all these talks of demands his father is making and they could be 100% false. I highly doubt KO just told him that we are not interested anymore. If his father does have some type of expectations, I imagine KO just told them where his thoughts lie and that we would love to land him but there are no guarantees. If this is the case, the staff may just decide it is no longer worth it to expend much energy on Tremont since all parties know where they stand, but Tremont and his father very well could decide UConn is his best situation and KO certainly wouldn't turn him down. This is my rose colored delusional vision.
The talk of his dad looking for a pay day is laughable to anyone following his snapchat the last 3 years. This kid isn't living in some tenement, its the complete opposite. Bag man money is chump change to how they're living. I think the parents want what's absolutely best for their kid: hence Georgetown. Great, great school. Do people honestly believe JTIII payed for him? Of course not. But some fraud on here says he's going to the highest bidder so now people act like it's a fact. 99% of the "inside" info on here is complete BS but year in and year out so many buy into it.

Reaction Score
If true, this is terrible news. Anyone pretending we dodged a bullet by missing on a top 40 PG in our own state is in denial.

It's not great, but let's face it: the kid has never had any love for UConn. What kind of Connecticut kid's dream school is DUKE? I know New Haven isn't Storrs, but State U clearly has never resonated with the kid at all, and at the end of the day, you can't make someone want you.

Like, sure, I'd love to date the most beautiful woman on the planet, but at the end of the day, one of the biggest requirements I have in a girlfriend is that she actually wants to date me, and not my sweater vest-wearing cokehead step-brother.

Good luck to the kid, but if he has so little love for UConn that he'd rather be at Western Kentucky, then I don't know what to tell ya.

Reaction Score
The talk of his dad looking for a pay day is laughable to anyone following his snapchat the last 3 years. This kid isn't living in some tenement, its the complete opposite. Bag man money is chump change to how they're living. I think the parents want what's absolutely best for their kid: hence Georgetown. Great, great school. Do people honestly believe JTIII payed for him? Of course not. But some fraud on here says he's going to the highest bidder so now people act like it's a fact. 99% of the "inside" info on here is complete BS but year in and year out so many buy into it.

I think there was one person in the entire thread that suggested Waters is looking for money and he was immediately shot down. That's not what is being discussed. People are saying he wants a certain role, certain amount of minutes, etc. Money is obviously not a factor and that is not what I meant but IDK about the rest since IDK anything about his recruitment.

Reaction Score
People are saying he wants a certain role, certain amount of minutes, etc.
This applies to every top recruit in the history of the world.

I haven't read every single post in this thread but whenever I pop in, there is this BS speculation his dad is pimping him out.

Reaction Score
This applies to every top recruit in the history of the world.

I haven't read every single post in this thread but whenever I pop in, there is this BS speculation his dad is pimping him out.

Yea, no one is suggesting that from the 80% of the thread I have read. This is a stupid tangent for you to go on.

Reaction Score
Niels why don't you break it down to me coach? I have time, pen and pad. Certain you played, certain you are in Ollie's war room. I know you comment. I know you speculate. As for your comparison, I did not agree. And yes it was simple.

Why on earth would you expect anyone on here to waste time trying to explain anything for your benefit? Just use your pad for some doodles or something kiddo.

C

Chief00

I think there was one person in the entire thread that suggested Waters is looking for money and he was immediately shot down. That's not what is being discussed. People are saying he wants a certain role, certain amount of minutes, etc. Money is obviously not a factor and that is not what I meant but IDK about the rest since IDK anything about his recruitment.
True, Chief shot him down.

pj

Reaction Score
We're one popped shoulder from being scalitoed. Let's not minimize this. We aren't a destination school for anyone right now. Kids like Heron and Waters don't even give us a serious look. That's a problem.

From another view, Heron and Waters are not destination players. Elite schools passed on both. If UConn had prostituted itself to get them, that would be a problem.

If Waters wants to come to compete for minutes on even terms with other players, to sacrifice for the team, and to be coached, then terrific! Sign him up! If there's something else he wants, then let him find a place that will offer him those things. If he comes to UConn, let him come on KO's terms.

Reaction Score
From another view, Heron and Waters are not destination players. Elite schools didn't give either of them a second look. If UConn had focused on them, that would be a problem.

Also UConn is a national recruiting School now, They are not phased about local kids going elsewhere

Reaction Score
First off, I never said he is going to the highest bidder. All I did was explain to another poster why a recruit would have UConn on his list but not have any intention of going. It was a hypothetical. Other than that, this post is total BS. Want best for their kid? He ended up at Georgtown pretty much by default. If good education was important, Western Kentucky wouldn't be in consideration. You can say whatever you want, but everything about this kids recruitment, starting years back, reeks. There are serious reasons why it's mid April and a top 30 kid is available with limited options. There is literally nothing that suggests this is simply a parent that wants what is best for his son. Get real,

Reaction Score
This is classic BY behavior. Anyone pretending that Anderson is a good 4th guard and not a reach for UConn standards is being a homer. We wanted Waters bad and he didn't want us, end of story. Now we are focusing on bigs...what bigs??

You people amaze me. Are you one of those people who also said Kromah wasn't a good fit before he stepped foot on campus? A GWU reject many called him, similar stats and would be a piece of the puzzle for the year.

Or are people upset they couldn't land Waters? "We wanted Waters bad" - yeah because we lost a guy and rescinded a commitment I mean this kid and his dad haven't had a clue of what they wanted other than being at the biggest stage possible. The fact he doesn't want UConn, if true, isn't anyone's fault at all just like it wasn't when he announced GTown a long time ago, and when he liked Stanford, Duke and everyone but UConn over a year ago. Move on, things will work out in our favor. Anderson is the perfect plug in so they can recruit PG's who fit even better than Waters for 18 and beyond.

This end of the world stuff because some kid and his dad have huge ego's is ridiculous.

C

Chief00

In any sport, in recruiting and in a game, you got to protect your own turf. You can say all you want about Enoch, Heron and Waters - but when you don't have some representation of the top instate guys on the
roster that's a major problem for a State U.

As usual in his genius, Coach Calhoun recognized that from day one and we made it a focus - Chris Smith, Scott Burrell, Maury Williams, Rash Jones, Doug Wiggins and Edmund Saunders.

KO loves to tell players either on the roster or potential recruits coming in - take it or leave it. I think you can maintain control, maintain your ego and be more successful by being more nuance. It doesn't hurt to listen - take some constructive criticism and refine your communication to get a better result. I always thought this would be a KO strength - but it's been just the opposite.

I thought the Team USA assistant coach gig was a great opportunity for a coach who could relate to players and built relationships - but he did not parley that into any success, which makes one question the underlying assumptions?

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

Sorry Chief, Fishy did. You were no where close on Waters.
I shot down the pay for play aspect in this thread. As for recruiting success I never got beyond 55%. The father/son dynamic is one of the most confusing I have ever seen- not due to anyone looking for money - but it's unclear what the driving principles are in school selection?
I am beginning to think KO wants to recruit players like himself - that's fine up to a point - but we need the shooters, scorers and rebounders too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom