Tremont Waters (again) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Tremont Waters (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tremont Waters is like a metaphor for my relationships. I keep holding out for that dream girl (Duke), hoping she'll realize I'm the one she's wanted all along. I might even flirt with that redneck chick with the low-cut shirt (Western Kentucky).

But probably I'll eventually just accept my fate and marry some townie chick cause at least she lets me play video games in my underwear (UConn).

Well here's hoping.

Reaction Score
fyi from a couple weeks ago-
BROOKLYN — Most undecided players at the Jordan Brand Classic say they don’t care if players at a prospective school are going to enter the NBA draft or not.

The standard line is, they’re not worried about competing, as if it wouldn’t affect one’s playing time if a future NBA draft choice at the same position decides to stay in school another year.

Tremont Waters is a little more direct. The biggest reason he’s waiting on his college choice is he needs to know where he’ll be needed.

“I know what I can do and pretty much any system I go into, I can perform to the best of my abilities and just make the team better,” said Waters, who, generously listed as 5-11, is the shortest player in the event but also one of the quickest. “I also want to see who’s going to what schools, as far as bigs and guards. That’s what I’m waiting to see.”

Waters, a point guard from Notre Dame (West Haven, Conn.), obtained his release from his National Letter of Intent to Georgetown before John Thompson III was fired. The Hoyas, under new coach Patrick Ewing, are back in the running. Waters said that Connecticut, Syracuse, Creighton and Kansas have contacted Waters or his father since his NLI release.

“Creighton is the only one of those who messaged me,” he said. “All the rest have contacted my dad. I have to sit down with my dad to see who’s saying what, but I do want to make the decision as soon as possible.”

Wherever he goes, he wants to make sure the situation is stable. That’s why he asked for his release from Georgetown.

“At the start of the season, I saw tweets in the media that Coach Thompson would be fired,” Waters said. “As the season went on, it just wasn’t looking good. Things didn’t go that way and more and more tweets started going that he would be fired. I didn’t want to go into that situation. I wanted to go into a situation where I didn’t have to worry about my coach.”

Of the schools pursuing him, there’s some question whether he would be allowed to play at Creighton, since like Georgetown, it is a Big East school, and the Big East doesn’t allow transfers, in the same sport, in men’s and women’s basketball and football, between conference teams.

However, one out for Waters would be that he never enrolled at Georgetown and the Big East policy, in place since 2005, states:
As noted in each section, the above-mentioned policy is applicable to all student-athletes who have ever enrolled full-time at a BIG EAST institution…

“I’m not sure how that plays out,” Waters said. “I never set foot on campus at Georgetown.”

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Here's where I get lost. He's not a free agent negotiating a contract. You have x amount of offers, you have visited the schools, it's either yes or no.

It's called recruiting.

"Talks" is an odd word to use, but that's basically what happens.

Reaction Score
We may sign him by default. Heard there are serious talks

Why is there such little interest for such a good player? I know it's late in the game, but I'm surprised there aren't more schools after him (not that I'm complaining if we do get him).

Reaction Score
Here's where I get lost. He's not a free agent negotiating a contract. You have x amount of offers, you have visited the schools, it's either yes or no.

It is a negotiation. It may not be a financial, but he wants to make sure the school and team is the right fit for him and his skill level. Not like Ollie can just say we offered and you seen the school so yes or no then move on- like when we had Mal.

We will lose Jalen & Anderson after this year and who knows if we will land a top 2018 PG, so nice two have two PG's already secured.

pj

Reaction Score
Yes, Tremont is really important for us, but if they want promises/guarantees of playing time and role then the "talks" become difficult.

Reaction Score
We may sign him by default. Heard there are serious talks

I'll take it, but wasn't our problem this year that we had too many kids with a foot out the door?

Why can't KO get kids to really want to be here?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Is there a reason everyone seems to think it's fait accompli that Jalen is going pro after this year?

He isn't even on either mock draft for 2018 by NBADraft.net or Draftexpress.

Unless he's dead set on making a bad life decision like Hamilton was (who I was surprised even got drafted) OR he goes full out Kemba, he should be back for his senior year.

Or was there something that basically said he's leaving no matter what that I missed? if so I apologize for the question.

Reaction Score
I'll take it, but wasn't our problem this year that we had too many kids with a foot out the door?

Why can't KO get kids to really want to be here?
Because we had a terrible year.

If we play better, Waters would probably be happy to stay. I'm not sure if he's a 4 year player no matter what because he's old for his class, but regardless, he makes us better next year. I'll take that.

Reaction Score
Is there a reason everyone seems to think it's fait accompli that Jalen is going pro after this year?

He isn't even on either mock draft for 2018 by NBADraft.net or Draftexpress.

Unless he's dead set on making a bad life decision like Hamilton was (who I was surprised even got drafted) OR he goes full out Kemba, he should be back for his senior year.

Or was there something that basically said he's leaving no matter what that I missed? if so I apologize for the question.
I don't think he's dead set on going pro after next season. If that were the case he would have declared for the NBA draft this year and at the very least gotten feed back from teams. You can only enter the draft and pull your name out once so by not doing that this year he reserves his right to do it next year.

Reaction Score
Because we had a terrible year.

If we play better, Waters would probably be happy to stay. I'm not sure if he's a 4 year player no matter what because he's old for his class, but regardless, he makes us better next year. I'll take that.

His height makes him a 4 year player

Reaction Score
Ulis? Waters doesn't seem to be the passer that he was but by all accounts is a similarly talented defender and may be a better shooter.

pj

Reaction Score

Waters has repeated grades twice and will be coming in at age 20. He'll probably want to start earning pro money before age 24.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I don't think he's dead set on going pro after next season. If that were the case he would have declared for the NBA draft this year and at the very least gotten feed back from teams. You can only enter the draft and pull your name out once so by not doing that this year he reserves his right to do it next year.

Yeah, I get that.

I mean, I expect him to declare next year to test the waters.

But I just can't see him leaving unless he's dead set on leaving. Again, right now neither of the main draft projection sites has him even getting drafted in 2018.

Obviously a lot can change in a year though.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Waters has repeated grades twice and will be coming in at age 20. He'll probably want to start earning pro money before age 24.
Same with Facey, which is why he will never get looks from the NBA being so old.

But for a 5'9" guard I don't think this matters. He'll likely be a 3-4 year player especially if he isn't dropping eye popping numbers as an underclassman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom