Transfers (merged threads) | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Transfers (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not expecting anyone to transfer now. Thinking about after next season. Gonna be hard to keep everyone happy.
I agree. I was referring to some point in the future.

Reaction Score
When a new coach arrives, does the NCAA historically allow transfers immediate eligibility at another school?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Just the six incoming players for Louisville.
Louisville Adds Balogun, Dixon and Smith to 2019 Class - University of Louisville Athletics
Any bets on how many current Louisville players end up leaving for more PT elsewhere?
Not expecting anyone to transfer now. Thinking about after next season. Gonna be hard to keep everyone happy.
I agree. I was referring to some point in the future.

OK. Scratching my head a little on this. The ACC used to have a pretty stringent rule on intra-conference transfers: sit out one year and lose one year of eligibility (for football and hoops only). Is that not in place anymore? Otherwise, when Balogun and Dixon get on the court in 2020, they'll only have two years of eligibility...or is that perhaps all concerned are after?

(And, while I'm pondering this, let's say they apply for and get a waiver to play immediately, do they still get docked a year of eligibility)?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't believe there was any interest so there was no missing out.
I have to disagree with that. UCONN is in need of talent and colleges are all fishing from the same ponds international, transfer portal & JUCO. Jeff reached into the pond called the transfer portal and grabbed three of the biggest fish available. Everyone (not just UCONN) who now goes fishing in that same pond is "missing out" until that pond can be restocked.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
When a new coach arrives, does the NCAA historically allow transfers immediate eligibility at another school?
Historically no. A coaching change is not a criteria for the approval of a transfer waiver by the NCAA.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I have to disagree with that. UCONN is in need of talent and colleges are all fishing from the same ponds international, transfer portal & JUCO. Jeff reached into the pond called the transfer portal and grabbed three of the biggest fish available. Everyone (not just UCONN) who now goes fishing in that same pond is "missing out" until that pond can be restocked.

I went back and watched a couple of Georgia Tech games including the their last game of the season against North Carolina. IMO Dixon is not ready for prime time and it would take a major leap for her to get there. Her conditioning was abysmal especially for this late in the season-UNC game. Two times up and down the court and she had to put her hands on her knees to catch her breath. The most annoying part is that she is a drifter-meaning she moves just enough out of position in the post to be savagely ineffective. Just 1 or two steps but it always results in her being out of position. You know how they say some kids have a nose for the ball-that's not Dixon. Dixon was far too content to let someone else get the rebound even when she was the tallest player on the court. Way too often that someone else was on the other team. Offensively she has a good skill set (face up game) and she can finish with either hand. She missed enough uncontested bunnies to build a condo and seemed to always be in a rush. The UNC game was the one where Bailey was suspended so Dixon should not have had much resistance inside. Dixon mostly stopped herself though. A replay of the game is available on watch ESPN would love to get some more opinions on Dixon. @triaddukefan, were you at that UNC vs. GT game?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
@raoul_000 locked his twitter. Wonder what happened.
I think this is what happened:
1555342804214.png

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This season's injury appears to have been a hip injury. It was a knee injury that kept her out in 17-18.

Thanks. Where did you see that? Earlier this year I wondered why she stopped playing but couldn't find anything.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Thanks. Where did you see that? Earlier this year I wondered why she stopped playing but couldn't find anything.

No. 3 Louisville women withstand 2nd-half rally to edge UNC

"Destinee Walker missed her seventh straight game, and her 10th overall this season, for the Tar Heels as the junior recovers from an unspecified hip injury. However, Hatchell said she hopes the redshirt junior guard can return within the next 10 days."

That article is from January 4 and obviously the hopes for a recovery within 10 days didn't pan out...or there was a new injury? That's as far down the trail as google got me.

Just checked the UNC board - speculation is that she was medically cleared to return this year but chose not to in order to preserve a year of eligibility.

Reaction Score
OK. Scratching my head a little on this. The ACC used to have a pretty stringent rule on intra-conference transfers: sit out one year and lose one year of eligibility (for football and hoops only). Is that not in place anymore? Otherwise, when Balogun and Dixon get on the court in 2020, they'll only have two years of eligibility...or is that perhaps all concerned are after?

(And, while I'm pondering this, let's say they apply for and get a waiver to play immediately, do they still get docked a year of eligibility)?

All players get 4 years of eligibility. No one loses a year of eligibility for the mere fact they transfer.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
All players get 4 years of eligibility. No one loses a year of eligibility for the mere fact they transfer.

The ACC intra-conference transfer dictates otherwise. But note that waivers are possible though "In general, coaching change alone is not sufficient circumstances for a waiver to be approved."

1555346114018.png

Reaction Score
The ACC intra-conference transfer dictates otherwise. But note that waivers are possible though "In general, coaching change alone is not sufficient circumstances for a waiver to be approved."

View attachment 42305
so the ACC makes the player forfeit one year of eligibility to stay in the ACC whereas if they went to Big 12 or the SEC they get to keep their 4 years.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

View attachment 42305

Thanks. I was researching in parallel time and found the same rule. Getting charged a year of eligibility (for the year one has to sit out) is stiff. They'll probably apply for waivers and would have to be approved by the NCAA first. If that goes though and then the ACC approves, do they still have to give up a year of eligibility or does that go out the window with the waiver? Interesting....

Reaction Score
No. 3 Louisville women withstand 2nd-half rally to edge UNC

"Destinee Walker missed her seventh straight game, and her 10th overall this season, for the Tar Heels as the junior recovers from an unspecified hip injury. However, Hatchell said she hopes the redshirt junior guard can return within the next 10 days."

That article is from January 4 and obviously the hopes for a recovery within 10 days didn't pan out...or there was a new injury? That's as far down the trail as google got me.

Just checked the UNC board - speculation is that she was medically cleared to return this year but chose not to in order to preserve a year of eligibility.

NCAA rules:

To be eligible for a medical hardship waiver, a student-athlete has to meet the following criteria:
  • The student-athlete must suffer the injury during one of their four seasons of college competition or during the senior year of high school.
  • The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.
  • The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.
  • The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.
All of these must be proven with documentation. That means medical documentation to prove the injury and that it was season-ending and participation information to show that the student-athlete did not play in too many contests.

I doubt she was cleared to return. If she was medically cleared then the injury would not be season ending and she would not be eligible for a medical red shirt..

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
It is my understanding the ACC intra-conference rule of losing a year of eligibility just changed and is in effect moving forward. So, these Georgia Tech players just have to deal with the single transfer rule of sitting out.

One would think the precedent has been set at Nebraska, a la J Shepherd and her fellow Cornhuskers that left after the Yori allegations and firing, Balougn and Dixon “should be” eligible next season. Should be.

I guess we will be waiting a while to hear. They are season changers for us next year if they play, though. We have Ramani Parker ( some size) coming in, but she will need time to adjust to the college game.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It is my understanding the ACC intra-conference rule of losing a year of eligibility just changed and is in effect moving forward. So, these Georgia Tech players just have to deal with the single transfer rule of sitting out.

I was wondering if the intra-conference transfer rule had changed recently. The best I could do was find a copy of the 17-18 manual, which is where my screenshot came from.

Reaction Score

View attachment 42305
Question: student transfers from an ACC school to another ACC school; sits out the required year and then completes his/her total 3 year eligibility; can he/she then transfer to a non ACC school and use his/her fourth year of eligibility. After all it is the ACC that says he/she forfeited a year. The NCAA says he/she still gets 4 years, the fourth year will just have to be a non-ACC school.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
NCAA rules:

To be eligible for a medical hardship waiver, a student-athlete has to meet the following criteria:
  • The student-athlete must suffer the injury during one of their four seasons of college competition or during the senior year of high school.
  • The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.
  • The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.
  • The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.
All of these must be proven with documentation. That means medical documentation to prove the injury and that it was season-ending and participation information to show that the student-athlete did not play in too many contests.

I doubt she was cleared to return. If she was medically cleared then the injury would not be season ending and she would not be eligible for a medical red shirt..

That occurred to me but I didn't think too hard about it because it's a rumor in the first place.

Perhaps there is some gray area where she had a legit injury but chose to get 100% healthy rather than playing through pain?

On the other hand, maybe she was cleared and just didn't want to play and it had nothing to do with preserving eligibility. Lili Thompson sat out the whole year before she grad-transferred. Could be that sort of deal.

I am working under the assumption she has 1 year of eligibility and if she has 2 that's a bonus.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Just the six incoming players for Louisville.
Louisville Adds Balogun, Dixon and Smith to 2019 Class - University of Louisville Athletics
Any bets on how many current Louisville players end up leaving for more PT elsewhere?

The Cardinals add Elizabeth Balogun and Elizabeth Dixon of Georgia Tech, and Kianna Smith of California to its 2019 class, per the release. But the release does not mention if they are sitting out 2019-2020, per transfer rules, or if the school will petition for immediate eligibility.

If they are not eligible for 2019-20, Louisville could be fine with playing time, with four rising seniors...and five if Diop comes back to finish the grad transfer.

Reaction Score
That occurred to me but I didn't think too hard about it because it's a rumor in the first place.

Perhaps there is some gray area where she had a legit injury but chose to get 100% healthy rather than playing through pain?

On the other hand, maybe she was cleared and just didn't want to play and it had nothing to do with preserving eligibility. Lili Thompson sat out the whole year before she grad-transferred. Could be that sort of deal.

I am working under the assumption she has 1 year of eligibility and if she has 2 that's a bonus.
I think Lili Thompson walked away from the program with the consent of Stanford WBB. Never practiced or participated in any team activities and her tuition was still paid.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I think Lili Thompson walked away from the program with the consent of Stanford WBB. Never practiced or participated in any team activities and her tuition was still paid.

That's how I remember it, as well.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Right. That's what I was referring to.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Think the 1-year of eligibility is a good place to start.
I started thinking of the "5-year" limit to for D1 eligibility:
Eligibility Timeline
Division I five-year clock
: If you play at a Division I school, you have five-calendar years in which to play four seasons of competition. Your five-year clock starts when you enroll as a full-time student at any college. Thereafter, your clock continues, even if you spend an academic year in residence as a result of transferring; decide to red shirt, if you do not attend school or even if you go part-time during your college career.

So, for Ms. Walker, her frosh year was 2015-16. Her fifth calendar year is the upcoming one: 2019-2020.
If she wanted to use that fourth year, she'd have to apply for a sixth year in which to use it. And I think you can only do that before that season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom