Transfers (merged threads) | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Transfers (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
And so the long, strange journey of Te'a Cooper continues.

Wouldn't it be wild if she transferred back to Tennessee.

Reaction Score
Man, what is going on at South Carolina? What is driving the existing starters to consider transferring? Is it the fear the incoming freshmen will take the starting positions?

Reaction Score
It's no way that the recruiting class for USC is the driving force behind these transfers. In the games I watched last year I felt that KiKi was under utilized a lot. This Cooper news came out of left field. Wonder if it'll out to be anothe Cuevas Moore situation and she ends up staying or she goes home to UGA.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Could ND do a reverse Reimer here? Not sure what happened but I know ND was watching Cooks very early on like in her Freshmen year of HS.
I don't know if it's a real possiblity, but I would like to see it. The stats don't jump off the page but she looked good in the NCAA tourney this year and she definitely has talent.

ND could use another front court player (even assuming she has to sit out a year) and things worked out pretty well for the last top-5 rated forward who transferred into ND.

I know she was battling some leg issues this season, which hindered her, but -- as Orangutan pointed out -- had a solid first two rounds in the NCAA's against Central Michigan (21 points, 5 rebounds) and Notre Dame (17 points, 12 rebounds).

In that game, I saw a player hitting jumpers out to the elbow and making some assertive, deft inside moves while rebounding well against ND's posts. If there's a "mutual interest," I'd hope MM and Niele Ivey get her down to the Bend in a hurry.

Interestingly enough, I reread her commitment story and she said it came down to Michigan and Michigan State, but that she was wondering if she should leave the state of Wisconsin. If she still wants to head back to cheese land, there are two other schools with ND connections that I'm sure would love to talk to her: Marquette, with newly named coach Megan Duffy; and, Jonathan Tsipis at Wisconsin.

Still not completely healthy, Sidney Cooks finding ways to give Michigan State women boost

Reaction Score
It's no way that the recruiting class for USC is the driving force behind these transfers. In the games I watched last year I felt that KiKi was under utilized a lot. This Cooper news came out of left field. Wonder if it'll out to be anothe Cuevas Moore situation and she ends up staying or she goes home to UGA.
I agree. When I heard Williams was transferring out, my first thought was obviously playing time (and that very well may have been why for her), then for Jackson I thought she may be worried about losing her role to a freshman, then with Herbert-Harrigan something got fishy because she was very talented, then with Cooper - definitely something going on.

Reaction Score
Another day, another P5 transfer. Cooks was ranked #5(!) in her class by Hoopgurlz, only #69 by ProspectsNation. I think ND was tracking at one point. Doesn't seem like she quite met expectations.

Not surprised. MSU hasn't done much with all the talent they have. Cooks is super talented and was under utilized. In the right program, she will flourish.

Reaction Score
Could ND do a reverse Reimer here? Not sure what happened but I know ND was watching Cooks very early on like in her Freshmen year of HS.

is she that much better then the young bigs they already have?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

At this point, that's kind of an open question.
-Cooks was the fifth-rated prospect coming out of HS when she chose MSU. Basically, she's averaged 9.5 points for two seasons and apparently played through an injury this season. As I posted, her two best games this season were probably in the NCAA first two round games held at Notre Dame this year.

- Mik Vaughn is ND's purported post for next year and she's probably still coming back from the ACL she suffered in 2017. While she was able to play all year, expect her to work on her quickness and spring.
- Dani Patterson needs to get steady playing time, which was yo-yo'ed this year. MM was hard on her, but I look at that as a sign she cares for her.

Still, with quality bigs so hard to come by, giving a phone call certainly wouldn't hurt.

Reaction Score
I agree. When I heard Williams was transferring out, my first thought was obviously playing time (and that very well may have been why for her), then for Jackson I thought she may be worried about losing her role to a freshman, then with Herbert-Harrigan something got fishy because she was very talented, then with Cooper - definitely something going on.

I will say that there is a bit of a break-the-ice thing with transferring. I think folks are generally inclined to stick things out, but once one person transfers, people start thinking "yeah, maybe I should do that too." Also if there is a stigma associated with sticking yourself out to leave, then it's easier to be the 2nd or 3rd person. And then if a bunch leave, then it's "well everyone I knew is gone." A similar dynamic can play out in the workplace.

Reaction Score
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but this is SC's roster:

Harris G Sr - 31 mpg​
Henderson G So - 16 mpg​
Grissett F Jr - 12 mpg​
Saxton F So - 10 mpg​
Wesolek F So - 2 mpg​
Cooke G #6​
Beal F #14​
Amihere F​
Boston C #11​

Harris, Henderson, Cooke, Beal, Boston starting with Grissett & Amihere as top subs?

Seems ripe for a grad transfer.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
mass exodus out of North Carolina.... now South Carolina... my goodness ... is bad news out of Coastal Carolina, East Carolina, and Western Carolina be far behind? :eek:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Crazy though here, but could Dawn be leaving South Carolina? Dawn's name has not been linked to any of the high profile openings in WCBB or the WNBA. You just don't have this many starters walking away together.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think she is better, maybe not "much" better. She definitely more experienced.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Crazy though here, but could Dawn be leaving South Carolina? Dawn's name has not been linked to any of the high profile openings in WCBB or the WNBA. You just don't have this many starters walking away together.

All the high profile WCBB openings are filled.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

What better job is out there? Now... and for the next 5,10, 15 years. I cant think of one right now. Texas?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
All the high profile WCBB openings are filled.
What better job is out there? Now... and for the next 5,10, 15 years. I can't think of one right now. Texas?
True but Sylvia is under investigation at UNC with only 1 year remaining on the contract. Sue Semrau at FSU is going into the last year of her contract. Joanne P. Mccallie contracts ends after the 2020-21 season. Karen Aston of Texas contract ends after the 2019-20 season.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
mass exodus out of North Carolina.... now South Carolina... my goodness ... is bad news out of Coastal Carolina, East Carolina, and Western Carolina be far behind? :eek:

I thought it was the initials USC that was to blame. Southern Cal and South Carolina both experiencing mass exoduses. But yeah something going on in the Carolinas.

Reaction Score
True but Sylvia is under investigation at UNC with only 1 year remaining on the contract. Sue Semrau at FSU is going into the last year of her contract. Joanne P. Mccallie contracts ends after the 2020-21 season. Karen Aston of Texas contract ends after the 2019-20 season.

When Dawn was at UVA, their biggest rival was UNC. Ain't no way she's going there. And the others, why?
She just got a blockbuster class and she's coaching the national team.

And even if she were leaving , how would tte players know and it not get out?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
When Dawn was at UVA, their biggest rival was UNC. Ain't no way she's going there. And the others, why?
She just got a blockbuster class and she's coaching the national team.
And even if she were leaving , how would tte players know and it not get out?
I said mine was a "crazy" thought. Applying logic would only confuse me. :D

Reaction Score
it wasn’t hard to see that the last two S. Carolina teams lacked the grit of previous squads.

I think it was clear that this group frustrated Staley based on how much playing time ping ponged.

BCM and Herbert Harrigan always seemed less than 100% committed.

I found the Te’a Cooper experience confusing. She was very inefficient and playing time fluctuated, she was super injury conscious, but she had also had some big games against big opponents.

I would have put all three on a list of players that affect team chemistry negatively.

But seems like this has probably diminished the ceiling next year pending grad transfers. But we will see.

Reaction Score
it wasn’t hard to see that the last two S. Carolina teams lacked the grit of previous squads.

I think it was clear that this group frustrated Staley based on how much playing time ping ponged.

BCM and Herbert Harrigan always seemed less than 100% committed.

I found the Te’a Cooper experience confusing. She was very inefficient and playing time fluctuated, she was super injury conscious, but she had also had some big games against big opponents.

I would have put all three on a list of players that affect team chemistry negatively.

But seems like this has probably diminished the ceiling next year pending grad transfers. But we will see.

Why does Staley get a free pass?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member